Thread: Sam Hurd smoked pot every day, shared with 20-25 teammates

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sam Hurd smoked pot every day, shared with 20-25 teammates

Sam Hurd smoked pot every day, shared with 20-25 teammates

Sam Hurd smoked pot every day, shared with 20-25 teammates
    Posted by Michael David Smith on November 12, 2013, 12:34 PM EST

AP

The NFL tests players for marijuana, but if the imprisoned former receiver Sam Hurd is to be believed, those tests are very easy to beat.

Hurd told Michael McKnight of TheMMQB.com that during his years as an NFL player he smoked pot “all day, every day, and I didn’t want to hear anyone trying to tell me I had a problem.”

Hurd’s six-year NFL career came to an abrupt end one day in 2011 when he went from Bears practice to a Chicago restaurant to meet with two people he thought were Mexican drug dealers but were actually undercover FBI agents. During that meeting, Hurd agreed to spend tens of thousands of dollars to buy large quantities of cocaine that he said he would have no trouble distributing.

And in his interview with TheMMQB.com, Hurd also said he had no trouble distributing marijuana in the NFL, saying that during the five years he spent with the Cowboys, he became a marijuana connoisseur and passed along the good stuff to about 20 or 25 teammates.

“Whatever was considered the loudest weed in California—I wanted a notch above that,” Hurd said. “I had educated myself on different strains and potencies and growing techniques. I was very selective. It was like wine.”

So how did Hurd and all those teammates avoid being suspended under the NFL’s substance-abuse policy? According to Hurd, players know approximately what time of year they’ll get tested and just stop using when the test is coming up, then use again the rest of the year once they’ve provided their annual urine sample.

Basically, the NFL’s marijuana tests catch only players who aren’t smart enough to figure out the drug-testing system, or players who have such problems that they simply can’t stop for long enough to let drugs clear their systems once a year.

As for Hurd, he’s in a federal detention center awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to conspiracy to traffic narcotics. He could be sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy it (though there were certainly some morons on Dallas when Hurd was there), but thats near half the team. If they stayed blazed all the time, one would figure someone would get lazy or screw up and get busted by the NFL.

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome. I imagine that cheating the NFL piss test is probably not that much different than cheating a piss test for the Oil Fields or what have you but I could be wrong (never had to take one). I agree though, 20-25 teammates, and he means that over a 5 year span so I mean average that out to even 5 teammates a season and that seems high to me too but that's a good point you make about annual testing, maybe things have changed since Heard was last in the league?

I don't buy it to a certain extent as well, but I don't doubt that more NFL players smoke it then they would dare acknowledge.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is awesome. I imagine that cheating the NFL piss test is probably not that much different than cheating a piss test for the Oil Fields or what have you but I could be wrong (never had to take one). I agree though, 20-25 teammates, and he means that over a 5 year span so I mean average that out to even 5 teammates a season and that seems high to me too but that's a good point you make about annual testing, maybe things have changed since Heard was last in the league?

I don't buy it to a certain extent as well, but I don't doubt that more NFL players smoke it then they would dare acknowledge.
    Yeah if he had said 10-15 players and he was selective about who, I'd be more inclined to believe him. But he makes it sound like he was just tossing joints to guys walking past his locker.