Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 33

Thread: Michael Sam - Openly gay.

  1. #1
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Michael Sam - Openly gay.

    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZvG96-zDvo[/ame]

    Monster pass rusher informs the world he's gay. Certainly doesn't seem the type so take that kick in the nuts, stereotypes.

    I say good on him. Who cares who fucks who, who loves who, it's all good. It's nice to see barriers broken down and a guy who is the perfect example of masculinity be able to share something with such a positive response.

    I tip my hat to you, good sir, best of luck in the NFL.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Im happy for the dude.

    Not sure if coming out before he wad drafted was the way to go.. but that takes serious balls. Hes basically daring teams. I love it.

    In all honesty though.. this will get way more press than it should.

    We should be over this as a society now. Its not like there isnt tons of gay players in the nfl ad it stands.. they just havent come out.

    Its all going to come down to how well he plays football.

    Once again. Major props to him. He really stepped up and did something no one else has had the courage to do. I also respect is intentions behind it.. I believe the quote was something to the affect of "I want to make this story my own".. he knew it would eventually break but he wanted to be the one to tell it. Thats pretty cool

    Dude has character

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We SHOULD be over this as a society, but its' clear in the realm of sport we are not.

    I commend the team that takes this man on, and I hope he becomes a starter in the NFL. He isn't the first gay man to come out, at least not in sport. Honestly after reading the Martin/Incognito texts I've suspected that Martin might be gay and the 'bullying' was just Incognito's relentless bringing up of 'puss' to Martin... I digress...

    I'm glad someone had the pride to do it, because I have felt for a while it will only take one man. As soon as an active NFL player comes out, that's all it will take I think. There are already gay players in the NFL, to think otherwise is a bit naive to me.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I read someone's assessment of the situation saying that they compare it to "The Decision" in the way he was ready to handle the media response. I don't know if I agree with that comparison necessarily (because I think that draws a needlessly negative context to the situation) but I do think he's handled himself very well since making the announcement. It will be very interesting to see what kind of media talk we get about him going in to the combine and draft.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should be over this as a society now.
    Not trying to offend anybody but you can blame religion for this.
    In the words of Tony Rizzo... "FIND ME A FREAKING QUARTERBACK!"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    your toolbox
    Posts
    5,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    this needed a press conference?

    sigh....great now I know he likes dudes, and why did I need to know this?
    just beat it

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this needed a press conference?

    sigh....great now I know he likes dudes, and why did I need to know this?
    Because eventually he would be forced out into public anyway. So many people already knew, it was just a matter of time before it went national, so he decided to take the first step instead of letting someone else bring it to light.

    It's also news because:

    1. It's never been done before. There's never been an openly gay man in one of the big four sports or in the big college sports.

    2. As previously mentioned in this thread, much of society (and the world in general) is not tolerant or accepting of homosexuality.

    3. Male sports (especially football) are typically seen as the ol' boys club. You know, it's where guys can be guys, however offense it might be outside of the locker room and off the field. Many people have already brought up how you can have a gay man in a locker room full of men. I say, ask Missouri.

    4. To bridge off of point 2, it can still be dangerous to be openly gay. Even in gay districts, people still get assaulted, raped, murdered, mutilated, etc. because of their sexuality.

    It's a big step, and in May, when the draft comes around, we'll see just how much being openly gay affects someone in the NFL. There's a guy in the MLS who is openly gay (forgot his name), but he's made it alright. However, the MLS does not compare to the NFL. Amechi came out when he retired. Collins came out and hasn't signed with an NBA team, but that also has a lot to do with his age. So it's really a big deal.

    What will get annoying is that we won't know the impact until May, so all along the way we'll have tons of specials not just on ESPN, but on every news network showcasing Sam. This was bound to happen to someone, it just happens to be Sam and it happens to be now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    6,600
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just want to say seeing these responses remind me there are bright people in the world. I trolled over to the "other board" and saw a thread filled with people identifying with Vilma's ignorant statements about being uncomfortable with showing with the guy, etc. (just cause he is attracted to dudes doesn't mean he is going to check you out, or has no self control).

    As to Hammer's comment, I think all he means is do any of us really need to know about Sam, or any public persons sexual orientation or interest. It has no baring on doing a job or a being a good person if any person likes dudes, chicks, tranny's, auto erotic affixation, or what not.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pelsall, Walsall, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    being a defensive side would be an advantage as he will be attacking the linesman and guard to get at the QB, while Offensive players can't attack too much as it is all protecting and stopping them. It is brave move for Michael Sam. But he can relax not worrying about coming out.

  10. #10
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masters View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vilma's ignorant statements about being uncomfortable with showing with the guy, etc.
    I laughed so hard at his comments.
    "Imagine if he's the guy next to me and, you know, I get dressed, naked, taking a shower, the whole nine, and it just so happens he looks at me."
    That's right. When he's taking his weekly shower with 46 naked men, the last thing he needs is to be put in a potentially gay situation.
    "Again, the point I was trying to make or the context I was trying to take it in is that I've never been put in that situation"
    Well, Mr. Vilma, sorry to be the one to tell you, but I am 100% sure that in your 10 years of showering naked weekly with all those men, at one stage or another your baby maker has caught the eye of another man. Your penis has indeed been gazed upon by one of your own. In fact, I'm willing to bet you've seen a cock or two yourself.

    So, really, unless you think Mr. Sam is going to rape you, or start bumming a team mate in front of you with no warning, nothing is going to happen that ain't already happened.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pelsall, Walsall, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    if he is available in 4th round and a good enough player (Not seen him play) I think we should pick him. I think he will be drafted a round too low due to GM being scared to draft him.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    O_H_I_O
    Posts
    2,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Devils advocate time..... Let's just say you're Vilma and this guy pops a chubby looking at your package in the shower..... I don't think anyone wants that kind of chemistry in the locker room.

    You guys would really be OK with that?

    I'm an old bastard so I don't have to be all enlightened. I'd have a problem with it. Now on the other hand if they wanted to let me shower with the cheerleaders I'd be ok with that.
    If you don't watch the games yourself and only parrot what the talking heads say YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WRITE THAT I CARE TO READ BECAUSE YOU ARE AN ASSHAT. i mean that in the best way possible of course. At the behest of a much respected one here I have altered my sig. Will he notice? :-)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownsfan1956 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Devils advocate time..... Let's just say you're Vilma and this guy pops a chubby looking at your package in the shower..... I don't think anyone wants that kind of chemistry in the locker room.

    You guys would really be OK with that?

    I'm an old bastard so I don't have to be all enlightened. I'd have a problem with it. Now on the other hand if they wanted to let me shower with the cheerleaders I'd be ok with that.
    I'm sure this dude, who has been in locker rooms before, isn't going to get a hard on and walk around with it on full display.

    In the words of Louis C.K. "It doesn't have any effect on your life, why the fuck do you care?"

    It's not called being enlightened, it's called equality. Being gay doesn't make someone subhuman.
    In the words of Tony Rizzo... "FIND ME A FREAKING QUARTERBACK!"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownsfan1956 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Devils advocate time..... Let's just say you're Vilma and this guy pops a chubby looking at your package in the shower..... I don't think anyone wants that kind of chemistry in the locker room.

    You guys would really be OK with that?
    Who cares

    Women go through a lot more uncomfortable shit just having to turn people down

    God forbid someone suffer mild sexual tension
    Last edited by Crow; 02-15-2014 at 10:38 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Can someone please explain to me why no one is talking to Missouri about the locker room situation? They asked some players what it was like, and they all said they didn't care if he was gay. It didn't bother them. So, it had no affect on their locker room. I'm sure Sam changed and took showers with them. But this is the part most people keep harping on.

    He was openly gay with his team for the entire 2013 season, and nothing happened. But we can't point that out I guess...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    O_H_I_O
    Posts
    2,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twizbuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was openly gay with his team for the entire 2013 season, and nothing happened. But we can't point that out I guess...

    Ahhh Twiz I think you just did.
    Quote Originally Posted by next2nothing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure this dude, who has been in locker rooms before, isn't going to get a hard on and walk around with it on full display.
    As long as you are sure N2N I know all the guys in the NFL will take comfort in your surety. Guess what brother, I wouldn't like it. And while that is a minority opinion here well being an Old dude it's rare I get to be in the minority.

    One last comment... As you sit back and act judgmental because I am honest enough to say it would bother me, how is that different from Vilma or I saying we wouldn't be comfy with him on our team? Arent you setting yourself up as some higher and mightier than thou type who has a right to force your view on others? Its all the same...its called bias and we all have them. The difference is I am honest about mine.
    If you don't watch the games yourself and only parrot what the talking heads say YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WRITE THAT I CARE TO READ BECAUSE YOU ARE AN ASSHAT. i mean that in the best way possible of course. At the behest of a much respected one here I have altered my sig. Will he notice? :-)

  17. #17
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is it a gay guy seeing your junk that would be uncomfortable or just any guy having a look?

    For the sake of example, I am straight but I'd be keen to see how I matched up against anyone. I'd be having a look around. Nothing sexual, simply for my own sense of pride. Is that any different?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    O_H_I_O
    Posts
    2,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You can look at my junk anytime "Big" boy! lol j/k

    Seriously.... Being an old bastard its just not something we ever thought about back in the day. I am old enough to remember when females were first permitted in lockerooms to interview players and the players (for the most part) didn't like it. Sam Wyche even kept all reporters out of the lockeroom in protest/reaction to it. I don't recon it will be long before unisex restrooms are common and we will all be treated to the joys of listening to some chic drop a deuce when we go to take a leak.

    As Bob Dylan said, "The times they are a changin'" I just don't approve of all of the changes. I know others on here think its peachy keen and they can hold that opinion as long as it doesn't enter my space...at that time I think I can voice my disapproval and in all honesty I would not make a scene about Sam should he be on a team I played for but I would quietly voice my disapproval to management. They could cut me, trade me or do whatever.... I feel like I feel and I would be ok with whatever action they took. I wouldn't ask Sam to do anything different as he is entitled to live his life his way.... I just don't have to a part of it. Being a Neanderthal I feel empowered to hold that position! lol

    Now about that match up of yours..... Gravity is an old mans friend!

    (I always enjoy the tongue in cheek exchanges with you BDU)
    If you don't watch the games yourself and only parrot what the talking heads say YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WRITE THAT I CARE TO READ BECAUSE YOU ARE AN ASSHAT. i mean that in the best way possible of course. At the behest of a much respected one here I have altered my sig. Will he notice? :-)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownsfan1956 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As long as you are sure N2N I know all the guys in the NFL will take comfort in your surety. Guess what brother, I wouldn't like it. And while that is a minority opinion here well being an Old dude it's rare I get to be in the minority.

    One last comment... As you sit back and act judgmental because I am honest enough to say it would bother me, how is that different from Vilma or I saying we wouldn't be comfy with him on our team? Arent you setting yourself up as some higher and mightier than thou type who has a right to force your view on others? Its all the same...its called bias and we all have them. The difference is I am honest about mine.
    Want to know why I'm sure? Because if he did that he'd suffer two things; an ass kicking by other players and losing his job. If you were ever at a beach or public pool and saw a woman you thought was amazingly attractive wearing a very revealing swimsuit, were you able to control yourself? You didn't get a huge woody right in public did you? People are able to control themselves ya know.

    You're entitled to your opinion but how are you not acting judgmental yourself? You clearly would have a problem being around this guy in a locker room setting strictly because he's gay.

    How am I being a holier than thou type? I never said you couldn't feel the way you do and I never said you were in the wrong for feeling the way you do. I just find it troublesome that we as a people can't get past these types of issues. It's 2014... why is a man or woman's sexual preference a huge deal?
    In the words of Tony Rizzo... "FIND ME A FREAKING QUARTERBACK!"

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    O_H_I_O
    Posts
    2,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    N2N What beaches do you go to Brother? I would love to shower at the beach with all the hot women there and yes buddy I would get excited. Aroused even! So please send me the list of beaches you go to so I can make travel arrangements. And yes I would sprout an huge woody! Ahhhh those days at Hedonism are great memories.

    Now as to whats a huge deal about sexual preference. It's not until it crosses into my life. There really are boundries and there used to be a societal respect for ALL individuals.

    Now as to your positioning yourself... Dude, your approach is that I am wrong because I would object to this situation. If I said you are wrong for your perspective honestly tell me you wouldn't get very upset because I dared say your perspective was askew.... N2N Buddy you are fully entitled to your position on this however, so am I. Just seeking a little respect of the same nature you and others would demand of me. Guess its asking too much for that kind of balance huh?

    N2N you can have all the picklepuffers you want in the shower with you, I have no objection to you having that level of freedom. After all it's 2014 live like you want to live! Just please don't bring them to my shower. lol
    If you don't watch the games yourself and only parrot what the talking heads say YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WRITE THAT I CARE TO READ BECAUSE YOU ARE AN ASSHAT. i mean that in the best way possible of course. At the behest of a much respected one here I have altered my sig. Will he notice? :-)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This may sound gay..

    But if a dude gets a hard on looking at me taking a shower.. id be flattered.. say "sorry bro.. unfortunately for you I dont roll that way.. but thanks for the ego boost"

    Then I would walk out.. go yo my girlfriend have sex with her and say..
    "Youre lucky you have me.. im so fucking hot dudes wanna fuck me"

    But thats just me

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownsfan1956 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    N2N What beaches do you go to Brother? I would love to shower at the beach with all the hot women there and yes buddy I would get excited. Aroused even! So please send me the list of beaches you go to so I can make travel arrangements. And yes I would sprout an huge woody! Ahhhh those days at Hedonism are great memories.

    Now as to whats a huge deal about sexual preference. It's not until it crosses into my life. There really are boundries and there used to be a societal respect for ALL individuals.

    Now as to your positioning yourself... Dude, your approach is that I am wrong because I would object to this situation. If I said you are wrong for your perspective honestly tell me you wouldn't get very upset because I dared say your perspective was askew.... N2N Buddy you are fully entitled to your position on this however, so am I. Just seeking a little respect of the same nature you and others would demand of me. Guess its asking too much for that kind of balance huh?

    N2N you can have all the picklepuffers you want in the shower with you, I have no objection to you having that level of freedom. After all it's 2014 live like you want to live! Just please don't bring them to my shower. lol
    I respect you bud, just trying to make my point.

    Don't worry, I won't bring any picklepuffers into your shower haha!

    It's all good bro, I can get heated in debates and I sometimes lose myself.
    In the words of Tony Rizzo... "FIND ME A FREAKING QUARTERBACK!"

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    O_H_I_O
    Posts
    2,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by next2nothing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I respect you bud, just trying to make my point. Don't worry, I won't bring any picklepuffers into your shower haha! It's all good bro, I can get heated in debates and I sometimes lose myself.
    Serious ditto for me.

    Should we stir things up by posing the question of would people sign the effeminize Jonathan Martin or the hardass Incognito? LOL That would light it up on here!

    As always N2N we are good Brother.
    If you don't watch the games yourself and only parrot what the talking heads say YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WRITE THAT I CARE TO READ BECAUSE YOU ARE AN ASSHAT. i mean that in the best way possible of course. At the behest of a much respected one here I have altered my sig. Will he notice? :-)

  24. #24
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownsfan1956 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can look at my junk anytime "Big" boy! lol j/k

    Seriously.... Being an old bastard its just not something we ever thought about back in the day. I am old enough to remember when females were first permitted in lockerooms to interview players and the players (for the most part) didn't like it. Sam Wyche even kept all reporters out of the lockeroom in protest/reaction to it. I don't recon it will be long before unisex restrooms are common and we will all be treated to the joys of listening to some chic drop a deuce when we go to take a leak.

    As Bob Dylan said, "The times they are a changin'" I just don't approve of all of the changes. I know others on here think its peachy keen and they can hold that opinion as long as it doesn't enter my space...at that time I think I can voice my disapproval and in all honesty I would not make a scene about Sam should he be on a team I played for but I would quietly voice my disapproval to management. They could cut me, trade me or do whatever.... I feel like I feel and I would be ok with whatever action they took. I wouldn't ask Sam to do anything different as he is entitled to live his life his way.... I just don't have to a part of it. Being a Neanderthal I feel empowered to hold that position! lol

    Now about that match up of yours..... Gravity is an old mans friend!

    (I always enjoy the tongue in cheek exchanges with you BDU)
    Hahaha! Gravity is your friend when it comes to low hanging fruit, but a youthful presence on the phallic front is why cougars are socially common. I can see there is no winner here, so be it, we'll have to settle this with a sword fight!

    I can see your perspective though. Kind of like my grandfather. He didn't care if someone is gay, and if he was in front of a gay man there wouldn't be a problem, he was just on the 'don't tell, won't ask' side of things. That, in my opinion, shouldn't make someone homophobic. It makes them care so little they don't even want to know.

    There is a difference between that an having a Westboro Baptist Church type of attitude, and people need to understand and accept that.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •