Thread: 2014 Cleveland Indians

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2014 Cleveland Indians

Any big Tribe fans on here?

I've enjoyed their start. 3-2, with opening wins both for the season and at home, including a 2-1 series win over Oakland. The pitching has had a bit of a rough start. Kluber, Carrasco and Pestano have struggled, But Masterson, Axford, Allen and Outman look just fine. Nyjer Morgan has been a pleasant surprise, but I'd like to see more from Murphy. All in all, solid start, need to keep progressing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twizbuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The pitching has had a bit of a rough start. Kluber, Carrasco and Pestano
    I think Kluber will be just fine, Pestano still isn't right following that rough year last year. His problems may be mental. Carrasco should have never won the 5 spot in the rotation Tomlin outpitched him in spring training, but had a minor league option where as Carrasco didn't. That being said I still think the Tribe will have a good year.

You can learn a line from a win, and a book from a defeat.~Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I still like Kluber, agree that he'll be fine.

The Tribe don't look so hot this first home stand though. Can't remember if we've ever looked better on the road in Cali than at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say we looked particularly good in Cali, either, to be honest. Getting outscored and winning a series - bit of an odd occurrence. Not that I'm complaining.

Regardless, the rotation's looked realy bad thus far. Weirdly, the only starts I've been fine with were Masterson's Opening Day start and - more weirdlier - Carrasco's start. Strikeouts, unlike Earned Runs and Home Run rate, are actually pretty stable - hits and home runs are more defense than anything. And his K rate on Saturday was really, really good, and his wak rate was about average. Carrasco does that every time and the cries for Tomlin will slip away eventually. Note the proviso of 'if he keeps up a similar K rate.' Big if.

Every other start - blah.

Post Thanks / Like

Indians talk is slow, eh?

I just read they sent Pestano to Columbus and called back Bauer. I like Vinnie, hopefully this is just so he'll get some confidence back - meanwhile I can go see him here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TybeeBrowns View Post

I just read they sent Pestano to Columbus and called back Bauer. I like Vinnie, hopefully this is just so he'll get some confidence back - meanwhile I can go see him here!
    Called up CC Lee too. He looked great last year in Columbus but struggled a bit in the bigs. Hoping he can keep it together this time.

I work camera a few games a month at Huntington, so I'll see you there Tybee!

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone get to watch Bauer? I missed the game, but he had a good stat line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twizbuck View Post
    Did anyone get to watch Bauer? I missed the game, but he had a good stat line.
    I didn't watch the game either Twiz, but like you said Bauer did have a pretty good stat line. The run in the first inning was unearned due to a throwing error on ACab. Bauer only gave up one run and got the loss. Team just didn't give him some run support.

You can learn a line from a win, and a book from a defeat.~Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't watched a whole game yet this season. I'm planning on watching tonight's game through.

I saw Sale may start - we lit him up last year.
    Why is loving this team so damn hard?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TybeeBrowns View Post
    We've tried to get Indians and Cavs talk going in here many times, but it never sticks. Even had moderators who loved the respective teams assigned to these forums to drum up activity and still got no love. Some day I will put in more of an effort in marketing to Tribe and Cavs fans ....some day. Today, and it seems always ....I just don't have the time.

It's a long season. Wish they would cut it in half. I'll probably start watching in July or September.
    I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Er, well, it's not that I'm /interested/ in the Indians - I do write about them at IndiansBaseballInsider.com and ClevelandSportsInsiders.com - but I don't really come here to talk about it - partially because I'm still a little hesitant to post my own stuff, mostly because there's no one here to talk about it. And the reason there's no one here to talk about it is because there's no one here to talk about it. And the reason there's no one here to talk about it... You get the point.

Now where the hell is Beanpot.

Post Thanks / Like

I take back my good start comment...

Post Thanks / Like

Eh. They've lost about as many games as they've won. Which is pretty much what's going to continue to happen over the course of the season. They'll probably oscillate between .450 and .550 - as probably 70% of teams do.

Accept that every team has downswings and upswings and baseball season gets a hell of a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grimmreaper3 View Post
    Eh. They've lost about as many games as they've won. Which is pretty much what's going to continue to happen over the course of the season. They'll probably oscillate between .450 and .550 - as probably 70% of teams do.

Accept that every team has downswings and upswings and baseball season gets a hell of a lot easier.
    The starting pitching has been frustrating, though. I do accept that part of baseball, and I don't get highly invested until after the All-Star break, but I still follow the whole season. I'm rather surprised at our bats. Even Cabrera is hitting... I'm befuddled.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is the pitching, no doubt. That 12-6 win is not what you want to depend on.

Having the pitching be an issue basically after we just told Masterson; "uh hey, yeah, we like you and all, but..." really annoys me, even though it's early. Tito knew, and said during ST, that we needed to lock up the rotation and get it solid as soon as possible. Maybe it still isn't "as soon as possible", but it's a glaring issue, (to me) despite the early season patience I usually have.

I'm really glad the bats are working, but there's no way we can plan on scoring 7-8-12 a game to take the Central. I guess if Masterson was pitching so-so, and the other fellas were rolling through their games getting what we needed them to the majority of the time, and our bats were getting us the consistant 3-4 runs; I wouldn't be worried this early. But it isn't just Masterson - so it's not like the FO knew he was gonna be a little off; it's the whole rotation.
    Why is loving this team so damn hard?

Post Thanks / Like

Let's make a distinction, though: the Indians offense has done poorly at run prevention, but they've done well those things that lead to run prevention. Once a ball hits the bat, there's very little the pitcher actually has. The only thing the pitcher really has control over are:

1) GB/FB?
    2) Strikeout
    3) Walk

That's it. Location in the zone determines whether it's a ground ball or a fly ball, so in that sense, the pitcher has control over whether it's a GB or FB - but whether it goes for a hit is far more on the batter/defense and far less on the pitcher.

Home Run rates are essentially nothing more than a pretty linear effect of fly balls - if you leave a ball up, it'll probably go for a fly ball, and league-wide, year-in, year-out, regardless of pitcher, about 10% of fly balls are home runs. This is as close to a league-wide constant as one gets. Now that's not to say that Fly-Ball pitchers are inherently worse as a result; Fly Balls go for hits far less frequently than do Ground Balls. So it's effectively a push.

As for K/BB rates, they are the only two factors that have an unequivocal impact - one way or another - on run prevention. Strikeouts are good, since that means that a ball wasn't put in play; walks are bad, since that means a baserunner was put on without the possibility for an out.

The Indians have been rather poor at preventing walks, but have been absolutely incredible at inducing strikeouts. I know it's hard to accept that a pitching staff is good with an ERA over 5; however, the staff has done those things which are within its control. At this point, one's forced to either blame the defense or bad luck; I suspect it's a good amount from column A and a ton from column B.

It's a difficult concept to accept - the idea that pitchers don't really have much control over whether a batted ball goes for a hit - but beyond the not-totally-impactful GB/FB ratio mentioned above, it's true.

For a more detailed explanation, I wrote something up on this on Saturday. Feel free to peruse/not peruse.

http://www.indiansbaseballinsider.co...te-sox-6-64765

Post Thanks / Like

Always feels good to get a win over the Tiggers.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously. Thank god Anibal had a total implosion. 4 BBs in 5 innings - if they're terrible, we don't need to be good. Whatever; I'll take it.

Post Thanks / Like

RLOLL Tribe.

Post Thanks / Like

Either get Danny into shape or get rid of him. Either way, I'll be .............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

how do you put youtube videos up on this site?
    Last edited by DJ Majette; 04-25-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welp, Kluber killed yesterday. I've been insanely high on him since last July - which, obviously - but he's extremely good.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe I'm driving to Anaheim to see these guys tomorrow. At least Masty is on the mound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably make the argument that Masterson's the worst pitcher on staff right now. Him or Salazar. Which, if correct, would be quite good.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't blame him for last night. Francona left him in the game in the bottom of the 8th with 110 pitches to face Mike Trout!!!!!

If it wasn't for Swisher's error, I think he gets out of the inning.

What a shit show of a team. Hopefully they turn it around fast.