Thread: Dan Marino Sues NFL over Concussions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dan Marino Sues NFL over Concussions

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...602-story.html

Dan Marino, the Hall of Fame member and former Miami Dolphins quarterback, last week sued the NFL over concussions, according to federal court records.

As the behind-the-scenes effort to gain approval for the proposed $765-million settlement of the concussion litigation continues, Marino and 14 other former players sued in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.
    The NFL is losing control of the concussion narrative. This isn't just a discontented former star, this is a guy who's made his living casting NFL games. Seeing a guy of his clout, who has been actively employed in broadcasting games, become active in this is pretty darn serious. It's one thing if an athlete says something like this; it's quite another if the accuser is, essentially, a spokesman for the league (as single-sport broadcasters nearly universally are).

It's not clear whether the consequences of this are substantial or insubstantial, short- or long-term. Regardless of the magnitude, this bodes no good for the NFL.

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

I really question the validity of some of these suits. I can't help but wonder if it's more about money than a damaged way of life. Save it for the guys who are really fucked, not the pussies who get a headache and blame it on a concussion they got 30 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that many of these suits could be frivolous. Who's to say some of these guys weren't concussed in jr high, high-school or college?
    God Bless America

"They Love ta Hate Me"

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Marino should shut up...you knew the risks when you put your first set of pads on dingdong... Marino has been nothing but one big pussy who ruined the dolphins and made Shula's last few seasons as coach a joke of a legacy....asshole.
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If the NFL had research showing the dangers from concussions like CTE, covered it up and moved forward with a business model that pretended it never had such research (much like the tobacco companies), then the lawsuits may have merit. If these players were informed by the NFL they could have serious medical issues later in life from repeated hits to the head (Junior Seau? Bernie Kosar? Jim McMahon? Dave Duerson?), would they have made the same decisions? Would they have played as long as they did? Would they have taken other precautions? At minimum, the NFL providing foreknowledge of the dangers of multiple concussions puts the onus on the players. Instead, it has put the culpability on itself.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's about keeping the pressure on owners to pay for these guys medical coverage after football more than anything. It sounds more like a negotiating ploy to get retired players what they want.

While they were playing they had the absolute top notch doctors performing surgery on them for shit I still can't get my doctors to do now. These guys get back pain and they have a micro discectomy done stat and are pain free in no time.

When they retire they're lucky to have any coverage and become just another schmuck like the rest of us trying to get a doctor to help them.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

So the consensus is that Dan Marino doing this carries no weight at all. Having arguably their highest-profile former player, still employed by CBS, bring suit in the one matter that the NFL wants to go away more than any other - that's inconsequential.

*blink*

Post Thanks / Like

Just heard on XM radio that this was not Marinos idea (or it wasn't sposed to get out) and he has retracted and withdrawn his name from the suit
    God Bless America

"They Love ta Hate Me"

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I've read the suit was filed on Marino's behalf "accidentally" or something...

Per SB Nation:

The Hall of Famer is "attempting to discover" how his name became associated with the lawsuit.

Former Miami Dolphins and Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino will withdraw from a lawsuit against the NFL, according to Dave Hyde of the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

The lawsuit filed by Marino and 14 other plaintiffs is one of more than 300 suits, representing more than 5,000 former players, alleging that the NFL hid the long-term health impact of concussions and head trauma from players. However, Marino claims he never intended to sue the league.

"It was never Marino's intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefit," a source told the Sun Sentinel. His withdrawal from the suit could happen within a matter of hours.

Marino and his legal team are also "attempting to discover how Marino's name joined the lawsuit." The initial report suggested boilerplate language was used to describe Marino and his claims, lending credence to Marino's assertion that he did not want his name to appear on the suit.

It does sound like Marino is concerned with his future health. He reported two concussions during his professional career.

The NFL and former players represented in the initial group of lawsuits agreed to a $765 million settlement last year. Under the terms of that deal, the bulk of the settlement would be used to provide medical benefits to former players and families of the deceased, including those who were not named in the suit, depending on their individual health situations. Another part of the suit would fund research and education initiatives related to head trauma.

Federal Judge Anita Brody, overseeing the case, later refused approval of the settlement over questions that it would adequately fund all potential claims, however. It is currently awaiting additional data from attorneys on both sides to demonstrate that the amount would be sufficient.
    Gonna move this to the Rumble forum.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Hm. That's unusual.

Post Thanks / Like

if several hundreds players get multi millons dollars payout and then it would destroy NFL as it won't have much money eventually. It could destroy the game we come to love.