Thread: Vernon Doesn't Deserve a New Deal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vernon Doesn't Deserve a New Deal

I want to share this with you. Please feel free to comment.

Vernon Davis wants a new deal and there are a lot of pundits saying that he doesn't deserve one. Vernon Davis is a top TE in the NFL so perhaps he does.

http://www.bubblews.com/news/4317642...ve-a-deal-what

Vernon Doesn't Deserve a Deal? What?
    Submitted by csjwilkinson on July 07th, 2014 –
    Category: Sports
    Recently, I’ve seen a whole lot of people talking about how Vernon Davis doesn’t deserve to get paid. There have been some reports where people say he’s old, has limited skills, and that he shouldn’t be asking for a new deal because he’s still got 2 years on his current one. Even Vernon himself believes that he might not get the extension so what’s with all the drama?

It looks as though he is trying to cash in on his recent success while other 49ers are doing the same. Perhaps Colin Kaepernick has told him to go get the dollars while the cheque book is open.

Personally, I don’t think that Vernon will get his extension; neither do I think he’ll continue to hold out much longer. However, I do think that he deserves a better deal. It sounds hypocritical, I know, but I’m just trying to flame bait the anti-Vernon camp and highlight some of the reasons why.

Vernon Davis is a key component of the 49ers Offense. Sure, his deep threat ability will diminish as he gets older, but can we suggest that running deep post patterns is his only value to the team? How about his clear leadership, importance to Colin Kaepernick’s progression, and big play ability?

Remember that moment where he turned from punk kid to respectful team member? Surely you all noticed that Vernon Davis has done nothing but improve from that moment on. Add to that the fact that he is clearly a top 5 talent in terms of production at the tight end position and the question of deserving a better deal become a lot easier to answer.

Last season, Vernon was second to only Jimmy Graham in touchdowns and Davis caught a lot fewer balls. The reason for this is that the 49ers had other, legitimate targets to throw to, whereas the Saints were pretty much a one man show. If the tables were turned, and the 49ers relied solely on their tight end for production, Vernon could put up similar figures.

The 2013 season wasn’t just a flash in the pan either. Vernon has had impressive numbers for the last few years and has shown himself to be a value to the team every time he steps onto the field. Only injury has slowed him down on his way to 2 Pro Bowl appearances. The guy is a marquee player and an NFL superstar at his position.

Perhaps he won’t get his extension, perhaps he will. The 49ers are the only people that know right now but to say that he doesn’t deserve it is way off the mark.

Follow me on Twitter @CSJW

+NFL +49ers +San-Francisco +Vernon-Davis +Hold-out +Extension +Jimmy-Graham +Superbowl +Pro-Bowl +Colin-Kaepernick

Img: Commons.wikimeida.org
    Last edited by Enigmatic Evil; 07-08-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Putting the article in to the post.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey just a FYI we have a "NFL Rumble" forum for non-Browns related football talk. This forum is more for just general discussions, not related to sports in particular. I took the liberty of copy and pasting the article you linked and I moved this over there.
    BROWNS 2017: BREAK OUT THE BBQ, WE'RE GRILLING RATBIRD THIS WEEK!

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Deserve is irrelevant, sports' economics is about if you can. Either side with leverage will screw the other if it's in their best interest, especially in the NFL where contracts aren't guaranteed.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd argue he's deserving of a deal close to what Graham just got, 10 mill a year? Davis is good but is he a 10M/yr guy?
    BROWNS 2017: BREAK OUT THE BBQ, WE'RE GRILLING RATBIRD THIS WEEK!

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!