Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Cavs NEED Kevin Love?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do the Cavs NEED Kevin Love?

It's a no-brainer. Adding another All-Star to the Cavs would make them instant title favorites (although they already are in Vegas after The Decision Part Deux).

But hear me out.

Anthony Bennett looks freaking phenomenal right now (it has only been one summer league game). He's fit, running, dunking, hitting threes. I really like what I see.

He's still under his rookie contract and will be for awhile.

If they get Love, they give up Bennett and maybe Waiters, and a boatload of picks -- and they sacrifice cap space. That's an issue the Heat ran into, and ultimately cost them James and the 2014 NBA title, IMO.

Initially, I think a starting 5 of Irving, Waiters, LeBron, TT and Andy with Bennett, Ray Allen/Mike Miller (or both), Wiggins, Deladova and a TBD big man to be the primary subs.

Without Love, I think that team can win a title. It's not crazy. Waiters took some steps last year, and TT will be better playing closer to the rim with the space LBJ and Irving create.

FTR--

IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM SHOULD WIGGINS BE INCLUDED IN THIS DEAL IF IT HAPPENS.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I could debate with you, but I agree 100%. They look good. Watched the 1st half of the summer league game tonight, I'll watch the second half when I get home.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how Kevin Love feels about playing with LeBron. If we're the only destination he wants, then just wait it out a year. Right now with the CBA, our most valuable assets are talented guys playing on rookie contracts and a chip like Wiggins is hard to let go of.

Post Thanks / Like

Love allegedly wants to sign here now. I'm torn ...I'd hate to give up a guy like Bennett, but at the end of the day I would. Totally unproven ...may never pan out. Looks like a beast though ..in tip-top shape.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of mirages like magically hoping Bynum's legs can heal themselves. It'll hurt to give up on some of these young guys, but Love's proven and is naturally synergistic for LeBron. I'm cool with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont understand the logic behind love at all..

To get him we would either have to give up Waiters or Wiggins.. maybe more...

He has a bigger contract..

We would have LESS of a bench

and you can make the agument that Waiters + Wiggins are worth more

To top it all off, why give up anything if he can be had for FREE next year, or at a discount mid season.

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody told me we can't wait until next season because we won't be able to find the cap space.

What other deals are on the table for Love? They have to get something for him, rather than just lose him ...so we only have to beat the next best offer.

- Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

understanding the nba cap system is like trying to solve a rubik's cube blind

gilbert should just spend a trillion dollars

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Love is one of the best players in the entire NBA, If you're a team like the Cleveland Cavaliers you do whatever it takes to sign a guy like this. If you don't move on him now he becomes a Celtic next year.

Waiters is my favorite player on the Cavaliers, and I'd hate to see him and some of the other young guys go, but I'm not gonna dream about dynasties. We need to win ONE first.
    Last edited by Shirtswimmer; 07-12-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Love>Wiggins

sorry but that is a no brainer.
    just beat it

Post Thanks / Like

I would probably try to trade Dion and Bennett rather than Wiggins. I just really like Wiggins defensive ability and I am a canuck homer :P But either way, if we bring Love in too, it is probably going to mean someone else is getting traded.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somebody told me we can't wait until next season because we won't be able to find the cap space.

What other deals are on the table for Love? They have to get something for him, rather than just lose him ...so we only have to beat the next best offer.
    The Warriors offered their first round pick in the 2014 draft, David Lee AND Klay Thompson and Minnesota said NO.

(Reportedly, I saw it on Twitter.)

Love would have to agree to any sign-and-trade deals for a team to surrender to The Wolves' demands.

I think that's where the Cavs have an opening. Love's agent simply stonewalls any other trade offer, and they force Minnesota to sit on Love till the trade deadline.

The Cavs could see what they've got in Bennett, maybe Wiggins (but I think he takes another year to really explode) in the meantime, and pull the trigger then.

Let's face it, in the Eastern Conference, LeBron alone can't miss the playoffs. So getting Love at the deadline, probably cheaper, would be a win.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen, on the other hand, that the Warriors /refused/ to go Klay-for-Love.

Love can make this easy or hard on Minnesota. If Love plays hardball, then Cleveland can get him without surrendering Wiggins - the way this would happen would be if Love stated that he would not agree to an extension anywhere but Cleveland. That thins out his market real fast.

This would burn some serious bridges between the Cleveland and Minnesota Front Offices. It's useful in terms of talent but not in terms of making deals with that franchise going forward. I'd be glad if that happened, sure, but it's not an unequivocal good.

More pressingly, I don't expect that will happen, since Love wants a West Coast team or a contender. If Cleveland acquires Love, he almost certainly will sign an extension, but it's not as though Love wants us and only us.

Post Thanks / Like

Cavs, Warriors + T'Wolves discussing 3 team trade to send Tristan Thompson and Klay Thompson to Wolves, Love to CLE and multiple first round picks to Warriors, per Mike Cairns.

Check out @MikeCairns5's Tweet: [ame]https://twitter.com/MikeCairns5/status/488104572632563712[/ame]

He also tweeted there are more moving parts involved.

I HATE Tristan Thompson, he's so Damn one dimensional. Please let this be true.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Cairns ‏@MikeCairns5 36m
    I am told Flip Saunders Holding it up
    "Hillary Clinton belongs in the White House. Donald Trump belongs on my show."--Jerry Springer
    Cleveland Browns: 13 losing seasons in first 50 years. 15 losing seasons since 1999 -- and counting.

Post Thanks / Like

Since when is Mike Cairns breaking news? I gotta believe Golden State is getting more than some picks. Maybe not ...if not I'm all over it.

- Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile...... @WindhorstESPN: Cavs and Mike Miller are making progress on a contract, sources told ESPN
    "Hillary Clinton belongs in the White House. Donald Trump belongs on my show."--Jerry Springer
    Cleveland Browns: 13 losing seasons in first 50 years. 15 losing seasons since 1999 -- and counting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since when is Mike Cairns breaking news? I gotta believe Golden State is getting more than some picks. Maybe not ...if not I'm all over it.
    I wondered the same thing, but it's the weekend and news staffs are thin. He also has been on some national radio and TV sports programs today, so he may be getting more exposure and thus more news tips.

There are folks on Twitter wondering why Golden State would make the trade, as stated. They would probably need more.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, in case you missed it earlier today, the Cavs acquired Brendan Haywood & draft rights to Dwight Powell, from the Hornets in exchange for guard Scotty Hopson & cash.

Post Thanks / Like

Kenny Roda ‏@TheKennyRoda 6m
    Was just informed by a good source w/ties 2 Minnesota who said rumored 3-way deal that's out on Twitter, T-Wolves would never do it. #Cavs

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 30m
    Sources say KLove remains "intrigued" by chance to join LeBron with Cavs. I'm told Wolves, though, still asking for off-limits AWiggins

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 33m
    ESPN sources say LeBron's contract structure is unlikely to deter Kevin Love from wanting to commit to Cavs if Cleveland can indeed land him

EDIT: more.....

Mike Cairns ‏@MikeCairns5 14m
    As I said on @923TheFan Alot of Moving Parts to this Three team talk. and TWolves really want Wiggins. Flip Saunders with final say.

And EDIT: Interesting.......

Kari Van Horn ‏@KariVanHorn 28m
    Kevin Love wallpaper removed at Target Center. (Via @SamuelEGordon) #Timberwolves
    Last edited by KJP; 07-12-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A great question posed by a fan on twitter.......

So why in the hell would I give you the best prospect from this draft for a player you WILL lose in less than a year?

Post Thanks / Like

Amico recently tweeted Saunders wants Klay Thompson, Warriors want Love; may not involve Cavs in trade.

Post Thanks / Like

I started thinking about the whole Love thing. The way the league is set up you can go over the cap to resign your own players and just pay the luxury tax (which Gilbert has no issue doing). So you get into this situation that you cannot just sign him as a FA due to James' and Kyrie's contracts going into next off-season. You would have to trade for him and then resign him over the cap.

It got me thinking, it was rumored and expected that the Cavs would go after Love, and that big 3 would be a top 2-3 in title contenders. James letter said that he didn't expect to win this year though. Then I started thinking about his contract. Why the one year opt clause if hes that committed to the team?

The one thought I keep coming back to is this. What if he told the Cavs front office these are the guys Id be ok with you trading for Love. If Minn says no, just wait them out. Lebron opts out after the year we sign Love then resign James going over the cap. We get our "Big 3" just one year later and we keep our 3 first rounders and all our young players.

You can learn a line from a win, and a book from a defeat.~Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Love makes the Cavs a title contender this year.

Without Love, you're looking about a year or two down the road.