Thread: Draft is the worse thing about the nfl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draft is the worse thing about the nfl

Eagles coach Chip Kelly calls the draft the worst thing about the NFL

Chip Kelly could do without all the hype surrounding the draft. (USATSI)

More NFL: Photos | Videos & GIFs | Training Camp updates | Manziel watch
    Chip Kelly is entering his second season as the Eagles coach and one of the biggest surprises of Year 1 wasn't the speed of the game, or how different the NFL is from college, but ... the draft. Specifically, all the hype leading up to an event that pretty much involves middle-aged men reading names off a card for three days.
    But it's more than that, it's the sometimes unreasonable expectations placed on young players.
    "What's the worst thing about the league? I said the draft," Kelly told TheMMQB.com's Peter King. "I mean, the hype that goes into the draft is insane. Totally insane. The biggest thing for me is that everybody thinks whoever you drafted or whoever you signed is now gonna be a savior. ...
    "I think a lot of times the hype turns into really, really hard times for the individual who got picked, because there's so many expectations of everyone building them up to be Superman because they had three months to write about them and talk about them. Then when they get picked, they're a very, very good prospect, but there's a learning curve when you go from any job out of college into a company. If you take a job at Wells Fargo when you get out of college, your first day of the job they don't say, ‘He's our first-round draft pick, he's the savior to the company!'"
    Kelly isn't alone; fans and media experience draft fatigue, too, usually by mid-April. In the past, that hasn't been much of a problem because the draft historically takes place the last week of April. But this time around, the NFL moved its biggest offseason spectacle back two weeks to the dismay of, well, everybody.
    “I think the byproduct to the hype that bothers me, is that to some guys it's overwhelming for them," Kelly continued. "The NFL has their Rookie Premiere and they're out there getting all these pictures taken and they're missing practice time to go out to California and they're treated like gods, and I'm like, I don't know if he's going to start. That's not fair.
    "And the analysis We drafted [pass-rusher] Marcus Smith in the first round, and Jordan Matthews in the second round. Then you listen to people around here that say, ‘Well, we don't like their draft. If they had taken Matthews first and Smith second, we would give them an A.' Who cares who went one and who went two? It's almost like there's a lot of scrutiny on Marcus Smith because he went one, but Jordan gets a pass because he fell to the second round. If you ask both those individuals, they have the same goals and aspirations and they're training exactly the same way. It's just how people perceive things, and I think a lot of that has to do with the hype."
    It's a great point and one that we see all the time in the hours, days and weeks of mostly meaningless post-draft analysis. That doesn't mean it won't resonate with readers -- just the opposite. It's why CBSSports.com (and every other site covering the league) does it: the NFL is wildly popular and fans want to know everything about the newest additions to their favorite teams.
    “Jerry Rice dropped a lot of balls when he was a rookie. He was a strong kid. He took it. But now, for some of these guys, it crushes them," Kelly said. "It's no different than bringing a pitcher up before you should and he gets rocked. He's a stiff. Send him back to the minors. There's a maturation process for everybody. There's no other profession like it. The hype part is just constant.”
    And, frankly, that's exactly how the NFL likes it.

*** FABULOUS ARTICLE..RIGHT ON THE MONEY We on the board, for the mostpart, are also part if buying into the draft hype.. there were members who ragged on Joe Haden when he was drafted.. "cuz a first roung pick should start on day one.." it's not a fair expectation even for first rounders..for some perhaps.. but Joe for example..took him until game 4 or 5 I believe... but who cares now that he didn't start the first few games.. same with Manziel.. if he sits for a while.. but lights it up when his chance comes..who really cares.. other than the superhomers.
    Give me another big glass of that HUGHLAID!!

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately it's just the way it is. High expectations are put on rookies, and imaginations run rampant. I think everyone is guilty of it to an extent because it's all part of the process. When guys are put under a microscope we tend to see things we really, really like and that becomes the forefront of our attention. Certainly understandable, Chip seems to have tempered expectations but his own team has compared Jordan Matthews to a hall of fame WR. That's exciting for fans.

On NFLN I saw one guy say "Brian Hoyer started and looked good in 2,3, maybe 4 games but JOHNNY IS THE HOT TICKET" so we're looking at a guy who gets paid big money to know absolutely fuck all about football, he doesn't even know how many games Hoyer started last year so I highly doubt he did any analysis of his play in even a tiny capacity, but he does know who the media has set their sights on and that's Johnny. So Johny should start because his colleagues decided Johnny is a hot topic, thus pushing crazy expectations on a kid who really doesn't seem prepared to meet those expectations yet - but if Johnny didn't meet those goals that attitude would change faster than a formula 1 car goes from 0 to 100.

That's one reason I've come to love Pettine and Farmer. No pressure to start rookies straight away, they're going to let them earn it without it being a big deal. They'll develop, they'll grow, they'll be fine. I feel like we're going to have a long list of talent ready to come in when they are actually ready to come in based on their play rather than their draft position and 'ceiling'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately it's just the way it is. High expectations are put on rookies, and imaginations run rampant. I think everyone is guilty of it to an extent because it's all part of the process. When guys are put under a microscope we tend to see things we really, really like and that becomes the forefront of our attention. Certainly understandable, Chip seems to have tempered expectations but his own team has compared Jordan Matthews to a hall of fame WR. That's exciting for fans.

On NFLN I saw one guy say "Brian Hoyer started and looked good in 2,3, maybe 4 games but JOHNNY IS THE HOT TICKET" so we're looking at a guy who gets paid big money to know absolutely fuck all about football, he doesn't even know how many games Hoyer started last year so I highly doubt he did any analysis of his play in even a tiny capacity, but he does know who the media has set their sights on and that's Johnny. So Johny should start because his colleagues decided Johnny is a hot topic, thus pushing crazy expectations on a kid who really doesn't seem prepared to meet those expectations yet - but if Johnny didn't meet those goals that attitude would change faster than a formula 1 car goes from 0 to 100.

That's one reason I've come to love Pettine and Farmer. No pressure to start rookies straight away, they're going to let them earn it without it being a big deal. They'll develop, they'll grow, they'll be fine. I feel like we're going to have a long list of talent ready to come in when they are actually ready to come in based on their play rather than their draft position and 'ceiling'.

Good for Kelly. Eagles, though, made some smart off season moves and will be an SB contender EVEN THOUGH THEY PUT AN EMPHASIS ON HAVING GOOD RECEIVERS.

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    Good for Kelly. Eagles, though, made some smart off season moves and will be an SB contender EVEN THOUGH THEY PUT AN EMPHASIS ON HAVING GOOD RECEIVERS.
    Maybe. I expect Nick Foles to take a big step backwards. He went from one of the worst to one of the best in a single off-season which is suspicious. Teams will have a book on Kelly now so the offense will be easier to stop. Depends if Shady plays the same. 1,607 rushing yards and 539 receiving yards - INSANE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    Maybe. I expect Nick Foles to take a big step backwards. He went from one of the worst to one of the best in a single off-season which is suspicious. Teams will have a book on Kelly now so the offense will be easier to stop. Depends if Shady plays the same. 1,607 rushing yards and 539 receiving yards - INSANE!
    Foles getting rave reviews in camp so far, but of course it doesn't mean much.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great article, something I tried saying a few times (in different ways) during pre-draft discussions. When analysts start pegging players as a "3rd or 4th round grade", people start using those projections as EVIDENCE to support their own analysis... and then they bash teams for picking them in the first or second round. The hype he's talking about absolutely creates unnecessary pressure and expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the pressure is getting to him as his drafts start to suck!

Fuck 'm
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16