Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've been apprehensive about basketball, no more. educate me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've been apprehensive about basketball, no more. educate me.

Time to go all in on learning a new game, my love for the nfl has completely consumed me for the past decade but I'm at the point where there is room in this head of mine for another game to occupy my thoughts,emotions,time and money.

Basketball however, I haven't followed since i was a child (at which point my favourite team was the raptors, the logo/unis got me i'd dare say).

Naturally being such a die hard browns fan i've decided to get into the nba for kicks and more potential winnings/losses as there is so many games I can on a whim place bets mid week while waiting for the nfl round to start. So i'm now a cavs fan, despite the feeling of guilt of abandoning the team I liked as a kid.

Looks like i've picked the right time to fully support Cleveland as Kyrie Irving was drafted and a stud and with how lucky we got in the draft lottery. Now Lebron being back is the icing on the cake that understandably won't taste as sweet for me as it does for you long term fans (Y).

I don't know a whole lot about the the sport let alone it's intricacies. starting from the basics in regards to how the game is played, managed, player skill levels and which teams are akin to the patriots,packers,broncos of the nfl.

but hey! half the fun is not knowing right?

I'm a self admitted low-level sports gambling addict and do well when it comes to football.

so hit me with some info to help me get my head around the game and league, in return i'll publically share my bets along the journey and perhaps you guys can help ease the transition a little.

nothing will ever come close to the nfl as far as sports go for me, soccer being second. but i have a feeling this could change as I learn more about the nba.

2012 Barking Hard Pick'em Champion!

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_history.html
    a good start
    have a specific question will try to answer.
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. To try and compare it to the NFL I couldn't 'type' teams. Especially because in Baskeball 10-20 games can tank your season in a hurry so teams that are starting out hot, and cool off down the stretch in the Western conference especially, it will be tough.

There's a disparity beteween the East/West.

There are teams in the East like Toronto, Milwaukee, and Washington out playing teams like Cleveland, Miami, Brooklyn or Indiana (who's window as a contender is closing rapidly, if not closed last season)

In the west Memphis, Golden State and Dallas and Houston, really the entire Southwest division are playoff contenders. The pacific division is very strong, and has the Lakers. The Northwest division is deceptive. Oklahoma City is destroyed by injury but is otherwise one of the best teams. They are underperforming as is Utah and Denver. The Timberwolves are my "team to watch" since they're the new Team Canada :P

I have four teams, the Raptors/Grizzlies are my "A teams" because of the Canada connection. I like the Cavs because of the Browns connection to Cleveland and I like the Oklahoma City Thunder because they used to be the Seattle SuperSonics, and before Canada got NBA teams, they were 'my team'.

My best advise, just watch all the games you can. It's a lot like football in that it comes down to gameplan/execution. You've got one teams style versus anothers. The other night when the Grizzlies/Raptors faced off. The Grizz are known for "smashmouth" hard style basketball and intimidating defense. They like to play a slow pace and beat you up with their bigs, or get you with their perimiter threats. The Raptors are a much more high-flying team, they like to run an up-tempo offense. They gave Memphis some problems (Memphis is also SEVEN players down due to a Stomach Virus that is destroying the team, caught in Sacramento :P) but it was still a great game.

I agree with Madworld, if you have a specific question cool but yeah. I think if you're casually gambling, Basketball may be the best game. "any given night" a team could come back from a 10-15 point deficit and win.

I'm a sports NUT. Hockey and Basketball were my 1/2 growing up. Then Baseball became my #2. I didn't get in to Football until the Cleveland Browns came back (I liked CFL football, but it doesn't count comparatively :P). I recently got back in to the NBA by playing NBA2k basketball games on the 360. I've all but given up on Madden because EA is a fucking monster.

So yeah madworld and I pretty much dominate the discussion lol. Please watch some basketball and talk with us!
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

EE and madmadworld (fan of the song or donny darko perhaps?) much appreciated taking the time to give me something to work with. I've watched say 10 games this season, prior to that the last game i watched was like 20 years ago and I was too young to appreciate all it could offer.

In regards to watching more games you can be sure of that EE, especially if it's barren in here. this board needs more activity all over.

Here is my betting history thus far with the nba. will continue to post my results weekly if you guys are interested if out of nothing more than curiosity and potentially seeing sheer stupidity and dumb luck (in regards to nba betting. I've made the nfl my bitch - see self given signature award)

the figures on the right of the photos are ordered as follows - odds/stake/winnings(or losses)

1st Nba Bet - Win - Double bet -

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]2nd Nba Bet - Win - 5 Game Multi -
    [/COLOR]

*if only i'd have put more money on this 5 nba multi, first time and being clueless and just taking somewhat educated (look at injury reports, team records, safer odd games)

**note the nfl 5 game multi above it, that hasn't been expanded. put $160 on that fucker, shows the confidence level in comparison haha.

3rd Nba Bet - Loss - 5 Game Multi

4th Nba Bet - Loss - 6 Game Multi (running consecutively with the above bet)

Why the massive multis when I'm not at the level to be able to consistently pull them off you ask? because sportsbet.com.au has weekly/monthly special bet offers which are more often than not multi bet or first scorer bet offers.

this week and the last the special was for the nba. play any 5+ game multi bet and if one leg losses you get upto $100 back as a bonus bet.

So essentially, you can swing the multi and be cheering but be able to afford to lose one game of the multi and still get your money back upto $100. that's a gamble i'll take every time because of the less risk/reward but as you can see i've either gotten a little unlucky in the last two or I don't know enough about the teams and made poor decisions.
    Last edited by dangerdom; 11-21-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation is hawk power rankings just to give yourself a sense of the good versus bad teams. I prefer NBA.com's to ESPN's. I think Bleacher Report also does their own power rank. Its always good to compare and build your own internal rankings.

As you get more familiar, your confidence will grow too. My buddy says keep an eye on ties. A tie in NBA is 4 points on Pro Line but not sure if the service you use is similar.

Im definitely curious about your betting results so keep sharing and dont be shy if you want some help either. Second opinions are always nice.

You're picking a great season to get into the NBA. Imo.

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my multis for todays games -

5th Nba Bet - 5 game multi - Pending.

6th Nba Bet - 5 Game Multi- Pending

Cavs look to be the biggest question, i done some research and they seem evenly matched while the cavs develop chemistry and play their roles, their d is lacking and the only thing that is limiting them from being serious contenders early on apparently.

read a nice article about the comparison between Irving and Wall, so will be good to watch them in this game. Found a stream, tuning in now

Cavs better fucking win this, they cost me two multis earlier this week, time to get it done boys.
    Last edited by dangerdom; 11-21-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you playing spread or picking outright winners?

Washington and Milwaukee could play spoilers for you. But GO CAVS!

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you playing spread or picking outright winners?

Washington and Milwaukee could play spoilers for you. But GO CAVS!
    outright winners, alright will keep a close eye on those two, so far so good. raptors and suns are dominating.

you see lebrons alleyoop? boss.

Post Thanks / Like

Suns should have no problem with Philly. Probably the worst team in the association this season.

Im stuck at work otherwise I'd be watching too.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

As an aside, NBA Basketball is really the only sport im not anal about fandom. Ill cheer any team on any given night. That is a big reason basketball has surpassed hockey and is creeping up on football.

If the Browns were having another bad year I would probably shift gears fully. There's always something to enjoy even if one of my teams, or all of them, lose on a given night.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Evil; 11-21-2014 at 08:56 PM.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

ah yeah, dat timezone difference.

want me to keep from posting spoilers?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope I appreciate the updates man.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

all games are well ahead except cavs down by 9. cmon, don't do this to me twice cavs. both multi's will more than likely come down to cavs winning.

Post Thanks / Like

wizards are playing with that much more urgency, all over the court while we look half effort.

cavs turnovers an issue, wiz winning the backfield

wiz 27 points of bench, cavs 0
    Last edited by dangerdom; 11-21-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

36-14 wiz in the paint.

james left wide open misses a open three to end the first half.

cavs 42 wiz 55

here's hoping hoyer has one of his second half comebacks due to the running game wearing the d down and p/a opening up... oh wait
    Last edited by dangerdom; 11-21-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thing about basketball is that lead could be eraced in a matter of minutes. They're killing us in the paint, which doesn't surprise me (see the kevin love thread) but we need more consistency. I think the Cavs are still "over thinking" things. Gotta play well at both ends if we're going to beat teams like Washington, good teams.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thing about basketball is that lead could be eraced in a matter of minutes. They're killing us in the paint, which doesn't surprise me (see the kevin love thread) but we need more consistency. I think the Cavs are still "over thinking" things. Gotta play well at both ends if we're going to beat teams like Washington, good teams.
    Let's hope so, start of the 4th down by 15 :\ yikes!

seeing some panic all game, taking tough shots with little pressure instead of the easy pass or just holding up for a moment

Post Thanks / Like

down by 12, waiters 1 on 1 to the hole got rejected bigtime.

Post Thanks / Like

ffs we get three turnovers and go for three points on all of them and miss them all instead of the easy 6

make that another turnover and irving misses the three. he's 0-5 on the night.

we manage another turnover afterwards and lebron gets beat to the net holds the ball and travels giving it right back to them.

so many missed opportunites, if we pull this off i'll be amazed but we are going no where fast, they have/had their starters on the bench for like half this quarter and we only managed to take 4 off the 15 point lead.

now down 11 with under 3:00 to play, done nothing with the turnovers and we are just wasting time it seems. the commentary said they think and the coach said they should be pushing and drawing penaltys to stop the clock and get the 2's. we've missed on all three's and easy shots by lebron missing. he's played bad this 4th.
    Last edited by dangerdom; 11-21-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

wow two horrible calls by the refs, the commentary was like "wow.... what is going on here....." in regards to bad calls against clev

Post Thanks / Like

irving misses another three, they return with one. this one is over.

fuck sake. cavs will be avoided in multis for a while i'll tell you that much haha

Post Thanks / Like

lol another horribly missed three, wiz fans starting to celebrate early. it's done, lebron 11 points in the game, only three of them in the 4th.

irving and love not playing like ive seen the past few weeks either, growing pains are evident.

Post Thanks / Like

What a crap 4th
    every chance in the world to come back. no growth in this team to date. tears
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me think of Batman Begins.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up again."

The Cavs need to learn how to pick themselves up...

WOOF WOOF WOOF!