Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I've been apprehensive about basketball, no more. educate me.

Post Thanks / Like

Waiters has been nice lately, I want to see him keep the high intensity. I wonder if it was just a cold streak, or what, but he is very hot/cold. We need him to be hot/intensely hot.

I think you're right that if you compare this team to earlier in the year, it is night and day. A couple core problems still persist. 1) Blatt's rotations. IMO, it seems every game ONE of the big three at least is at 35-40 minutes. 2) The Bench, I know, I know, but honestly even with Delly starting last night. Blatt routinely seems to only use 3-4 guys off the bench. I cannot expect our starters to stay fresh in that. So the two problems are somewhat compounded, but I think in time things will come. TT and Waiters bringing consistency off the bench. James Jones has scored points, but he was -15 in his 14 minutes on the floor. Not good.

That's why I think, in the end, our bench will hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    agreed, it has been good to see waiters explosion from the bench the past few games though and now that belladova (sp? the aussie) is coming off well so perhaps it won't be as glaring a issue as it was the first dozen games.

well we can only go off the progression and growth thus far and to me it looks like we are going places, comparing the team now to the start of season is night and day. Lebron has really mentored our guys on how to play championship level basketball. It was interesting to watch unfold, the initial riff with lebron and kyrie amplified by the media as expected.

Kyries now relinquished control to lebron as the leader and his game has improved that much because of it.

couple that with Love now finding his place in this squad. very dangerous big three
    This is so tough to argue as IMO, depending on your proclivities, you could really take any of the top 10 teams and make a top 5 out of them.

MY top five would have to be:

1. The Warriors: Absolutely killing it this year and they are dangerous on both ends of the floor. If they stay healthy, they're my favourite to win the championship this year. The way that team supports each other is uncanny. Their chemistry on the court is insane. Steve Kerr said it best. He was extremely lucky to inherit an incredibly talented team (not a verbatim quote, but close enough).

2. The Grizzlies: GRINDHOUSE, yeah they're my boys. But IMO they deserve to be higher ranked than they are. They're consistently beating good teams. Mike Conley is having an all star season so far. They have the talent to make any team play their style of game, and very few teams have the interior players to hang with Gasol and Z-Bo.

3: The Trail Blazers: This team is consistently dangerous and Lilliard is becoming one of the NBA's BEST PG's. The thing about the Trail Blazers is that they get very good production from their bench players. Their frontcourt with Alldrige and Lopez is very underrated. Robin Lopez may be better than his brother IMO. Wes Matthews is another crazy underrated player for them.

4: The Rockets: They have been winning with DEFENSE. For a team lead by James Harden, that's the last thing I would expect. Dontis Montejunas has been a blessing for them in dealing with the injury to Howard. Again, it comes to their bench stepping up in facing injuries. Dealing with the injuries they have, I think that Houston will be very fearsome when they're at full strength.

5: The Clippers: Two words, Chris Paul. The dude is having an insane year and I have rarely seen one player really be able to impact the game that Paul can. I think that he's the best PG in the game right now, and is one of the NBA's best. He has the talent to be the best in the league. I was torn about putting the Spurs (I had something written for them but changed my mind) or the Mavericks in this spot. The only reason I rate the Clippers higher than the Spurs is the Clippers have been playing really hot lately, and they are like the Cavs. IF they can get consistent production from their bench they will be very dangerous.

IF I had to rank the Cavs, I would probably put them behind the Raptors (for now, I'm a homer but the teams ARE currently trending in opposite directions and I think the Cavs will end up having a better season than Toronto), the Mavs and Spurs. So they would probably be sitting at 8 in my power rankings. I think we are the best team in the East, based on our record and the fact that we are trending upward. There IS top 5 potential. We're not there yet.

out of curiosity, who do you rank as the top 5 teams ?
    Just for comparison. Here's the top 5 teams based on the NBA's various rankings:

Based on Pace (Possessions per 48 Minutes):
    1. Boston (100.8)
    2. Golden State (100.4)
    3. Philadelphia (99.8) ((Imagine just how BAD they are on defense to get this many possessions a game lmao))
    4. Phoenix (99.4)
    5. Minnesota (99.1)
    19. Cleveland (95.2)

Based on Offensive Rating (Points per 100 Possessions)
    1. Dallas (114)
    2. Toronto (111.7)
    3. LA Clippers (111.2)
    4. Golden State (107.6)
    5. Cleveland (107)

Based on Defensive Rating (Points Allowed per 100 Possessions)
    1. Golden State (95.1)
    2. Houston (96.5)
    3. San Antonio (97.2)
    4. Washington (98.5)
    5. Memphis (99.4)
    16. Cleveland (103.6)

Based on Net Rating (+/- Differential per 100 possessions)
    1. Golden State (+12.6)
    2. Dallas (+9.7)
    3. LA Clippers (+8.6)
    4. San Antonio (+8.1)
    5. Toronto (+7.7)
    11. Cleveland (+3.4)

IMO the latter stats are much better for looking at the good teams but I like the pace stat just to get a sense of how teams play. Memphis is 25th and Oklahoma City is 27th. Memphis I expected a low rating but now that OKC is healthy I expect that to go up.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

That Double is rough. I would have a hard time betting against Anthony Davis but I like the matchup of Lebron vs Tyreke Evans (not a consistent defender).

The Bulls COULD beat the Blazers but that feels like the safer bet of the two. They're blazing a trail through the NBA right now... (see what I did there).

I like your Multi. The Jazz are one of those teams I don't like to rule out on any night. The Pistons SUCK, the Wolves are young and raw and I don't think Washington can contain the LAC firepower...

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

how wrong we were, blazers and clippers go down and couldnt overcome the decent point deficit they had let the game slip away.

Kyrie had an off night, lebron came out swinging. expected more from love, is it just me or does he not look completely confident in his abilities out there? 9/10 times he is passing it elsewhere on every touch besides the ones from outside the key or 3 point area.

I cringe everytime Marion attempts a three pointer, such a strange shooting motion that often misses and doesn't allow for the second chance rebound.

2012 Barking Hard Pick'em Champion!

Post Thanks / Like

how wrong we were, blazers and clippers go down and couldnt overcome the decent point deficit they had let the game slip away.

Kyrie had an off night, lebron came out swinging. expected more from love, is it just me or does he not look completely confident in his abilities out there? 9/10 times he is passing it elsewhere on every touch besides the ones from outside the key or 3 point area.

I cringe everytime Marion attempts a three pointer, such a strange shooting motion that often misses and doesn't allow for the second chance rebound.
    Marion - not getting enough minutes thus touches. never a great 3 point shooter.
    truly a player who plays best off the ball gets easy baskets from cuts, fast breaks & baseline screens.

Love - is fine just learning how to play on a winner at NBA level.

IF they can somehow stay healthy we should be much better efficiency wise by the All-Star break.
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly OT, the main thing that rejuvinated my love for basketball is the 2k sports NBA video games. They came out with this Michael Jordan mode about 5 years ago now, where you played through some of his most infamous games with the goal of meeting the same offensive/defensive milestones that he made. Some of them VERY challenging but it was very intriguing.

The next season they released the game with a broader "legends" mode, where you simply played a game as a legend versus a rival team of that legend's team from its representitive era. This was pretty cool because the older games for example with Bill Russell's Celtics are black and white and the rules of the game are representative to so playing without a three point shot? REALLY WEIRD to me lol.

Anyway so Marion has always been one of my favourites and when we signed him, despite his age, I was excited because the guy brings it. We've been playing him off-position at shooting guard. Anyway, in 2k, the shooting animations are legit. Marion... I cant even fathom his release point lol.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dom, you still betting?

WOOF WOOF WOOF!