Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: David Blatt

Post Thanks / Like

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...year-candidate

Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt has been called plenty of things during his debut season on an NBA sideline—seemingly everything but the title that actually fits.

He's not LeBron James' puppet, Cleveland's scapegoat or any of the other unsavory monikers tossed his way this year. Blatt is a Coach of the Year candidate, and a very deserving one at that.

Remember, this isn't the job Blatt came from overseas to do. When he signed on the dotted line last June, thoughts of LeBron's homecoming were nothing more than dreams. The only Clevelanders thinking of Kevin Love then were fantasy owners getting a head start on their draft boards.

A one-and-done playoff appearance constituted a best-case scenario. That ceiling held for a couple of weeks until James' return sent it into a different stratosphere and Love's arrival pushed it to an absurd level.

Blatt had to adjust to everything on the fly while simultaneously acclimating himself to NBA waters. When last summer's winds of change breezed into the season, he rolled with those punches too.

He's reworked a craft he'd seemingly mastered across the pond, altering it to the point that his old observers have a hard time recognizing him.

"Those who have covered Cavaliers head coach David Blatt during his overseas tenure insist that he's not being himself," Northeast Ohio Media Group's Chris Haynes wrote in January. "From their accounts, he's a boisterous, no-nonsense, my-way-or-the-highway type of a coach. If you don't fall in line, he'll line you up at the end of the bench."

Guess how well that approach would have worked in a superstar-driven league? On second thought, there's no need to guess. Blatt already answered that question by leaving that mindset behind.

Mike Lawrie/Getty Images
    It's hard to balance the idea of Blatt as a no-nonsense monarch with the man who's quickly become one of the league's most amenable coaches.

He's open to new ideas, an invaluable trait in his profession, but one that recently put him in the crosshair of the media.

During an appearance on Bill Simmons' B.S. Report podcast, ESPN's Brian Windhorst said that Blatt's Princeton offense had been scrapped and James was regularly calling Cleveland's plays. The basketball world struggled to make sense of the news.

"This is wild," said USA Today's Nate Scott. "Blatt has essentially ceded control of the game on offense to James."

Only, like a lot of these volcanic viral stories, the reality was nowhere near as dramatic as the idea. The report, as Blatt readily admitted, was partially true. There were times when James or other players called the shots.

But lost amid the scramble to throw logs on the fire was the fact that this is pretty common practice.

"At times according to the flow of the game, somebody may call out a play," Blatt said, per Haynes. "I don't think that's unusual, no. Certainly if you know what you're doing, you have a plan going in. That's obviously not an all-the-time case, but it's going to happen during the course of the game, sure."

If you're coaching the best player on the planet, you'd be foolish not to allow him some leeway. As James' close friend and former teammate Dwyane Wade said, this same thing was taking place when the pair played together with the Miami Heat.

"[James] was here and he did some of that as well," Wade said, per Shandel Richardson of the Sun Sentinel. "Sometimes, he'd see that I needed a shot or I need to get involved or Chris [Bosh] needed to get involved. He'd call a certain set that he'd know would get us involved. He has that kind of high IQ to do that."

What many used to criticize Blatt is really something worthy of praise.

"If you have LeBron James on your team, you should let him call some plays as he sees the defenses/matchups dictate," wrote NBC Sports' Kurt Helin. "LeBron is as high IQ a player as there is in the league, he sees the game. You should give him the freedom and David Blatt is smart to do so."

Blatt is smart in a lot of ways that have been overlooked and underappreciated. As soon as the front office balanced the roster, the Cavs have been the world-beating juggernaut so many thought they could be.

It took some time for all the pieces to fall in place. Cleveland owned a .500 record at the 40-game mark, worlds removed from the astronomical potential that appeared on paper. But the front office had to fix some of the roster's flaws.

In a three-team trade in early January, the Cavs swapped out the ball-dominant Dion Waiters to fill more pressing needs with J.R. Smith (three-point shooting) and Iman Shumpert (perimeter defense). Days later, they fortified the frontcourt with rim-protector Timofey Mozgov, acquired from the Denver Nuggets for a pair of first-round picks.

While that meant more adjustments for Blatt, it also allowed him to show what he could do at the helm of a balanced team. And over the last two months or so, he's overseen one of the strongest squads in the entire NBA.

The Cavs Flipped the Proverbial Switch
    Games Win% Rank ORtg Rank DRtg Rank NetRtg Rank
    First 40 .500 T-14th 105.2 11th 106.4 26th Minus-1.3 16th
    Last 36 .806 1st 111.4 1st 101.1 10th Plus-10.3 2nd
    NBA.com

Not bad for a coach that some wanted to rush to the hot seat mere months after he took over.

"It's just that everyone wanted to write a certain story based on the results and based on whatever," Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr said, per Northeast Ohio Media Group's Chris Fedor. "He had to go through a little growth process, learning the NBA. ... I'm happy to see him going on smoother waters here because he didn't deserve what he had to go through earlier."

Blatt has made some gutsy calls as Cleveland's coach—none gutsier than his decision to bench Love in some critical fourth quarters. Tenured coaches would have a hard time playing that card with Love's salary, let alone stature.

More importantly, Blatt has made that move without burning the bridge to his starting power forward.

"Everything is easier when you're winning," Love said, per ESPN's Michael Wallace. "So you can have some really good games, and then some tough times. The rotation might be different. But as long as you're winning, it kind of makes up for everything."

The Cavs are winning. James has a hand in that. Ditto for Kyrie Irving, Mozgov, Smith, Shumpert and Love.

But few have as many fingerprints on this success as Blatt. And slowly, people are starting to realize that.

After guiding the Cavs to an 11-4 record in March, Blatt took home the Eastern Conference Coach of the Month Award. In typical coach speak, he downplayed the achievement.

"It's not about what you do individually; it's about what the team does," he said, per Haynes. "And in return, everybody gets part of the glow. That's what it's about."

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
    That's true, but there is some significance behind the honor.

"I know it's a validation," James said, via Haynes. "Even though he talks about that he doesn't need a validation to be a part of this league, it gives him even more validation to say 'I belong here.'"

It's been obvious for a while.

Blatt has found the balance between freedom and structure to get James and Irving playing at incredibly high levels. Blatt has integrated new parts and replaced the ones he's lost. He has faced constant scrutiny, heard the condemnations of his coaching, read the reports of his being undermined and never once let it affect him.

Those are Coach of the Year qualifications. Maybe not enough to overshadow what Kerr has done in the Bay Area or Mike Budenholzer's work with the soaring Atlanta Hawks, but he has done enough to get into the discussion.

For as much spotlight time as he's received this season, it's good to see the attention finally coming his way for the right reasons.
    Last edited by TheBestPlayersPlay; 04-07-2015 at 05:13 PM.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Honorable Mention: Coach David Blatt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zach Buckley

David Blatt Isn't LeBron's Puppet, He's a Coach of the Year Candidate
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...year-candidate

Sounded like Tool looking for the Media relations job with the Cleveland Cavaliers lol
    good grief ... grow some buddy
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Blatt is a good coach. They come out of time outs ...they always have a kick ass play
    Have many issues with David had not even got around to grading/watching him out of timeouts. but i have the past 3 weeks or whenever you posted this. he has not done well at all. few if any clever calls don't recall one. if we do score seems half the time it's a rebound put back.

This guy ain't no Lenny Wilkins so far. the best out of timeouts coach we ever had would guess >80% we would get good looks with a shooting percentage above normal. he also had a Very Intelligent team.

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on Blatt's round one performance? I think his star power got him through, we will have to see him flex his coaching muscles in R2 vs the Bulls...
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

He Showed nothing to me other than Totally pissing me off today not letting Perk extract a bit of revenge on Olynyk when he came back in. we were out physicaled in the first 3 games and showed little till today after KLove got took out.

We (Perkins) could have sent a tone long before that happened. but I'm old school what do i know. duh
    these guys got a taste of what these games are like hopefully it hardens them up.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously even Haywood would be more than capable. (Do we still have him?)

We will need to show some balls in the second round. Chicago will surely get chippy with us.

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Haywood is that guy on the bench with his head down at times. what a good soldier takes his check keeps his mouth shut. lol

Here we are now 40% of the line up not playing in the second round in the 2 home games my guess. if Klove can get back in a week or 2 or sooner he's not going to be 100% <75 imo

See LBJ getting his leg(s) rubbed down ? are they monitoring his hydration ?
    seen him the past month without a sweat at times.. not good.

Now the mishandling of the minutes is here, gotta ask guy(s) who got little to no minutes to step up. coming in and playing D is all most were asked is one thing but with no rhythm on O is a tough ask.
    Delly and The Champ must get us 20+ Shump too 15 or so.

The way David speaks of the Matrix(HOF Player etc), smh when he could play not playing him. he still moves well since he came back his fast first step is there. if David was this Offensive wiz as touted get your board out man 8-10 from him would be BIG and his baskets are stunning near the hoop crowd goes wild stuff...... TO from the other side. that's who he is.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah dude I agree it's criminal that Marion is not getting more minutes, but I bet you he will with Love banged up. David doesn't seem to like his bigs that much outside TT/Moz. Is that a "European" thing? I mean he may have an idea of what he likes in his bigs, a decent ability to score. Moz is so tenacious, same with TT. They'll get you boards. Love is that shooter. Marion, he may not have the prettiest shot but he can hit those buckets.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matrix

Don't want him shooting outside 15' lol
    just running some cuts to the hole .....LBJ will find him

Post Thanks / Like

In fairness guys, Perkins and Haywood are poor compliments to LeBron and even worse when you have LeBron/Kyrie on the floor together.

The recipe for LeBron has been mobile, athletic bigs who rebound with intensity and can pick & roll. Perk and Haywood are slow-legged bigs who have to clog the paint on both ends. While that's helpful on defense, its a liability on offense. Our bigs have to have stretch capabilities (i.e., three point range) or pick & roll mobility (e.g., Moz, TT, and even Varejao when healthy).

Putting Perk in yesterday was a good old fashioned NBA move by Blatt and it wasn't long before he played enforcer. That's why he's on the playoff roster: for when things get overly physical/chippy. Haywood? He's practice fodder at this stage. Never was much even at his peak.

That said I haven't been blown away by the mic'd snippets on the broadcast feeds of Blatt. Always seems to be cheerleading. I have yet to hear a strong x's and o's dialogue from him. I'm not ready to say that stuff isn't happening as the adjustment they made on Isiah Thomas in games 3 & 4 was impressive. It slowed Thomas down and made his penetrating style much less impactful than it had been in games 1 & 2.

Need a good update on both Swish and KLove in the next couple days. Extended loss of both guys really makes the Chicago series a dicey proposition. I was worried about them at full health, let alone being down 40% of our starters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post

That said I haven't been blown away by the mic'd snippets on the broadcast feeds of Blatt. Always seems to be cheerleading. I have yet to hear a strong x's and o's dialogue from him.
    You are never going to hear that unless someone in the truck does a bad edit that is how they get the access agreeing not to give away X's & O's strategy.

Did you ever watch LBJ in his 4 years in Miami ? he played with big stiff's there won 2 rings. those guys were really worse players their whole careers than Perk & Haywood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madmadworld View Post
    he played with big stiff's there won 2 rings. those guys were really worse players their whole careers than Perk & Haywood.
    Yeah, I watched. Did you?

Birdman runs mobility circles around Perkins/Haywood. Regardless, the Heat didn't even play big men much.

Last year the only 4/5 in the top 7 of player minutes for the Heat was Bosh. (i.e., NOT a big) Birdman was 8th on the list with 1,400 minutes. LeBron played 2,902 minutes by comparison. So, Birdman and LeBron were probably on the floor a third of LeBron's total minutes and Anderson is a more mobile center than either Perk or Haywood.

Let's just hope we don't get your wish and see extended minutes for either of those guys.

Post Thanks / Like

We both have little to worry about, David myopically only sees 3 guys on the bench. lol

Numbers can be argued forever but $$ is $$
    Brendan Haywood, 65 million
    Kendrick Perkins 46 million
    Chris Andersen 31.5 million
    Joel Anthony 20 million

Post Thanks / Like

Default David wtf were you thinking ?

He had to start somebody he picked Mike Miller for whatever reason(not my choice) ok but after what happened..... why in heck did you do the same thing to start the second half ?

If one makes a bad decision learn from it and move on.
    Doing the same thing expecting different results in this country we call that Insanity

Somehow we got this to be a close game and he could not help them get over the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Default David's best move of the year

David has frustrated me and others this season. for me it has been just basic decisions.

But last night he went all in starting his best 5 players his best move of the year. I'm convinced they all would have played 45 to 48 minutes.... if it had been a close game lol

David knew this was a must win game and he won it. good job

Post Thanks / Like

Who did we start? (Missed the game...)

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

TT,Shump.LBJ,Kyrie,Maserati

Put LBJ back to SF/PG
    Last edited by madmadworld; 05-07-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we also have seen why some of the grisled vets haven't been playing more. Other than Jones, they are all but washed up. Maybe matrix is not 100% bit he and miller both sucked in game 1. Perkins had his small role and is fine at that ...but otherwise good stuff from Blatt last night. Hope it continues and Shump isn't playing injured the rest of the playoffs. How good has he looked?!

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Default After 88 games

Have never claimed our bench is the envy of anyone. Hell i spent a hour scouting the D-league myself lol
    Fact is those are the players Griffin gave him, over playing our stars is not the right way to care for their future or the team. also think of players we will need down the road will they want to play for a coach that grinds their future into dust.

Tib's does the same thing, bulls players have had to get notes from doctors limiting their minutes.

After 88 games David does 1 thing right does not get him off my hook. starting Miller in game 1....? etc

Post Thanks / Like

Default Game 89

What have I/We learned ?

The margin for error without KLove is very very small. LBJ playing PF we can't beat the bulls.

People/fans/coaches can watch/see lots of basketball and not increase their basketball IQ.

Fans some just see a brown ball a backboard and a hoop and 10 guys running around trying to put the ball in the hoop. just do it they say. some advance enough to know when to call a timeout others don't even get that far.

Coaches/players. the game has become internationally played over the past decades to the point players come to the NBA from places some Americans could not find on a map. Players from overseas had limited success at first then the Spurs put together a Championship version, doing that took one of the greatest coaching minds of this century.

Coaches rarely have come from outside the NBA family,success at the NCAA level does not insure the same will occur in the NBA. Larry Brown the only man to win both NCAA Division I & NBA titles.

So is David learning this season ? lets hope so but not fast enough imo his in game adjustments are not there. he is handicapped with the loss of KLove no doubt. he should have learned in game 1 playing LBJ at PF was not a good fit thought he figured that out in game 2 yet he goes back to it in game 3 by limiting Timo's minutes and not playing Perkins we lost a game that was winnable proven in game 2.

What happened ? having JR back was the only difference that should have given LBJ, Kyrie & Shump more rest to be sharp in the 4th qtr where these playoff games are mostly won. but David went back to his 8 players are enough rotations that worked well for him in the Euro game. This is not the Euro league.

Instead LBJ struggled @ PF again playing 22 minutes @ PF at least 44 over all,if rose misses that shot 49 with the OT. wasting a great effort from the bench 10-18 for 32 points.

Bottom line will David be here next year ? imo it would take a mutiny by LBJ and or Love but mainly LBJ to can him and frankly don't see LBJ doing this. or the quite man this season seeing this as I do stepping up with the ax Dan Gilbert.

Post Thanks / Like

So here is a 55 year old man making the Classic mistake of a 20 year old Chris Webber.
    who is/has been covering for this buffoon ? ..... LBJ all the while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madmadworld View Post
    So here is a 55 year old man making the Classic mistake of a 20 year old Chris Webber.
    who is/has been covering for this buffoon ? ..... LBJ all the while.

Post Thanks / Like

And wtf was he thinking on that inbounds play with 20 odd seconds left ?
    he did all he could to blow this game.
    ALL Hail LBJ