Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft Night

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draft Night

Who will the Cavs target? I've read they could move as high as 19th overall without going bonkers and one of the rumored targets would be ND's Grant.

We'll see how it unfolds.
    2017 Draft: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 EXTRA Draft picks: a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), a 5th (Chiefs/Cam) - 12 total
    2019 EXTRA picks: 7th rnd (w/ Coates)
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest need is at the SG IMO. Maybe a combo guard
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

MJ takes Frank Kaminsky the best efficacy player in the draft if he was__ does he goes higher ? lol
    Lakers pick the right guy ? D'Angelo Russell
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Wright is an interesting pick from the Raptors. Should be able to craft a role in time if he's a better defender then Terrence Ross. They need scoring depth behind DeRozan.

Kind of player I would've liked to see us draft.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Evil; 06-25-2015 at 10:19 PM.

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

We go PG, Tyus Jones

http://www.nba.com/draft/2015/prospe...:draft:tracker

Not sure where he fits in the big picture but if he's a better passing PG, and a good shooter, gives us what we need at PG.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

So we traded back into round 2?

Snooze fest.
    Last edited by OconRecon; 06-26-2015 at 02:44 AM.
    2017 Draft: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 EXTRA Draft picks: a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), a 5th (Chiefs/Cam) - 12 total
    2019 EXTRA picks: 7th rnd (w/ Coates)
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We go PG, Tyus Jones

http://www.nba.com/draft/2015/prospe...:draft:tracker

Not sure where he fits in the big picture but if he's a better passing PG, and a good shooter, gives us what we need at PG.
    And he's gone ?

Post Thanks / Like

...yeah wtf.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    So we traded back into day 2?

Snooze fest.
    Not the NFL LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    So we traded back into day 2?

Snooze fest.
    Good God is this a Browns draft?

Post Thanks / Like

Knicks drafted the euro kid?? LOL....I doubt that ends well.

Post Thanks / Like

So looks like we're ending up with a Turkish delight named Osman, something of a 6'7" Delly - hustle glut, good D, smoothly athletic, could be a great find if his shot really comes thru.

And Syracuse's Rakeem Christmas - a 6'10" long & lean quick twitch dude. Improved post scorer & fair rebounder, a plus defender who has some rim-protector quality to force changed shots.

Not exactly what I had in mind - Osman almost certainly WON'T come over to the NBA right away... at our pick #24 I was looking for a SF to take a few minutes from LeBron, a true PG who can spell Kyrie, or at least a 3 point shooter.

But, OH WELL... it's the NBA Draft & it's a crap-shoot. The NBA is a much different business than the NFL & their drafts mean entirely different things. At times, teams will go into a mode for years at a time when they want nothing to do with actually drafting players in the NBA - the whole event is a trade market, like baseball's winter meetings for these teams.

We actually selected Duke's PG Tyus Jones, who scored 23 in the Nat'l Championship game and won MVP. He addressed a need while the 2 we traded for don't immediately.

I suppose there's still a chance we could somehow end up with UVA's 6'6" SF Justin Anderson, anyway because of the Maverick's last 30 picks, only 6 played for them their rookie season... some were traded, others cut. Anderson is a lock-down defender on most 2's and 3's and he provides moderate offense - he's just the type of player we could really use to limit LeBron's minutes... at least with his defense you can trust the opponent will suffer unproductive minutes while LeBron's resting for a few minutes of game time.

Not too impressed, but it's utterly ridiculous how few NBA picks do anything resembling a decent contribution to their teams.... the bust rate is better than 95% if you're looking for a starter or 6th man type guy.

The big deal of the Draft to me was Justise Winslow going to the Miami Heat. In a couple years, depending on what stars they lure down there, the Heat could become formidable contenders for the Cavs undisputed claim as Eastern Conference elite.

Bobby Portis has a fair shot to be a decent player for the Bulls, in time, upgrading Taj Gibson. CHI and MIA got better. CLE.... not as likely. I would've been happier keeping Tyus Jones, but any of the 5 picks before our #24 looked decent possibilities. The teams ahead of us really cleaned up... no one slipped to us I would've liked (PGs Jerian Grant, Delon Wright, or SFs Anderson & Hollis-Jefferson)
    Last edited by Lou Groza; 06-26-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's ok Griff....we're used to anticlimactic.

https://instagram.com/p/4YQidKmYtc/

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still hung up on the Anthony Bennett pick lol. Are you fucking kidding me? Anthony Bennett???

Fuck me!

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony Bennett #1 too!! That was right up there with the Pistons' Darko Milicic at #2 for the worst pick of all time. I like how we managed to toss Bennett to MIN like a hot potato and got Kevin Love in return!! I'd do it all over again, Anthony Bennett at #1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrahauden View Post
    Knicks drafted the euro kid?? LOL....I doubt that ends well.

Post Thanks / Like

LeBron's got his Pippen with Sir'Dominic.... love that name! Never seen someone with Sir' starting their name... I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Porzingis "the Euro" is automatic from mid-range... for what that's worth. It's going to be awhile before he can compete, physically.

I CANNOT BELIEVE Phil Jackson passed on Emmanuel Mudiay, a great plug n' play PG to team with Carmelo for years... that move would have at least got the Knicks into the playoff discussion!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Groza View Post
    LeBron's got his Pippen with Sir'Dominic.... love that name! Never seen someone with Sir' starting their name... I like it!
    I heard Minny's trying to trade Bennett lol...poor kid. We were looking for a diamond in the rough and found a fat kid in a doughnut shop.

I just saw that name too...53rd pick and a baddass name.

He's got the hair too.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The Warriors added a piece with Kevon Looney, a freshman out of UCLA. He's 6'9" with a 7'4" reach and a very good offensive rebounder and decent 3 point shooter, 41%. He'll play SF, has the potential to lock-down on D, good rebounder, decent scorer. Dammit. He was supposed to go in the late teens, before we picked & somehow he fell all the way to GS at 30.... I have no idea why. Dammit.
    Last edited by Lou Groza; 06-26-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Our GM sucks?

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    Our GM sucks?
    No, not at all... it's just unclear what he's doing with the draft.
    Like I posted earlier, the NBA Draft has become a very odd thing for teams who go into a mode where it's a trade bonanza and their goal is to acquire experienced NBA talent, not incoming draft players. Very odd, but can be effective.

From Griffin's quotes 2 posts up, it seems he wanted 2nd round picks to package with Brendan Haywood's $11M contract in efforts to put together a deal with a team looking to cut salary to be in position for the awesome free agent sweepstakes to come.

So, if this is the case, Griffin made the Draft about acquiring experienced NBA talent, not the rookies the Draft is meant & known for.
    Dallas has done this the entire time Cuban's owned the team. The Spurs usually love to stash rights to Euro bigs with their picks. It's interesting the different strategies teams implement around the NBA draft... the top half of the lottery presents some true talent that will quickly translate, usually 3-4 players and the rest is usually mainly interesting for the trading of established talent that goes on.

From this draft, it looks like Griffin will keep the rights to the 20 year old in Turkey who may come over in 2016 (this time next year) but mainly acquired Rakeem Christmas (and possibly Sir'Dominic) as bait to pair with Haywood's $11M contract.

That's $11M for a team to then cut/release/buy-out Brendan Haywood and clear cap space to sign a big free agent. The 2nd Round picks aren't guaranteed contracts, so a team trading with us can part with $11-14M worth of players and simply clear their books of that salary by cutting Haywood & Rakeem Christmas.

The danger in this is the talent we receive in return. It's going to cost $11-14M in salary & not be star --or even very desirable talent, on the surface. Guys like Shumpert, Mozgov, & JR Smith... who add up to ~$14M, conveniently. The risk we run is getting guys that don't really help us & eat valuable cap space toward bringing in another star or very valuable starter in 2016 or 2017.

So, what assembly of fringe talent could we hope to attain from a team looking to clear cap space for 2016's big free agent market?

I'll look into it & repost some ideas...

Post Thanks / Like

use ESPN.com's "NBA TRADE MACHINE" if you want to join in...