Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft Night

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Groza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    use ESPN.com's "NBA TRADE MACHINE" if you want to join in...
    Hmmm... it lists Brendan Haywood's 2015 salary of $2.2M still, instead of his $11M 2016 number.

I guess it hasn't "flipped over" to reflect 2016's Cap hits yet...

You can pick Varejao and Shawn Marion instead, to simulate Haywood's $11M to make it work...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our GM sucks?
    Let's hope not. the next few months will tell. he needs some Home Runs lol
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Lou. I was just being a dink. Not serious. I like our adds. Especially Christmas.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like our best bets for a trade unloading Brendan Haywood's $11M contract involve teams desperately looking to free up cap space for free agents now & in the big 2016 class, including Kevin Durant & potentially a lot of players who will be opting out of their contracts & looking to cash in on the mega load of new cap money available in the league... every team is expected to have another $20M per season for salaries.... that's like another star added to every team. So "Big 3s" will now soon become "Big 4s" as teams of 4 superstar players will be able to get together & make it work financially.

Anyway, the Houston Rockets are looking like the best bet... if we can get 29 yr old 6'8" SF Trevor Ariza and 37 yr old 6'3" PG/SG Jason Terry from them. These are guys they should be looking to let go of as younger replacements are stepping in and their salaries can combine to better suit the team towards a top free agent addition.

Another extremely bold possibility would be straight up for Mavericks' PG Rajon Rondo who makes $12.9M. Rondo wore out his welcome in BOS & DAL now and certainly wouldn't like coming off the bench behind Kyrie. This wouldn't work out so well.

It would be great to swing a 3 team trade and get in on Orlando's SF Tobias Harris who only makes $2.3M. Harris is young, lengthy & shoots a nice 3. He's young, like 23, and ORL seems ready to part with him. We'd need a 3rd trade partner because of the disparage in salaries from Tobias's $2.3m to Haywood's $11m.

If we traded with the Lakers --who will be keen on freeing cap space-- we'd have to probably take 6'3" PG Jeremy Lin's $8.3 salary, but it might be worth it because he only has a year left on his deal and the Lakers actually have some young players that are interesting that we may be able to get our hands on also to fill out the deal. For instance, 6'7" SF Wesley Johnson was the #4 pick in the draft out of Syracuse in 2010; he'd be fine to spell LeBron off the bench. Ed Davis, 4 years removed from a lottery pick out of UNC, is a 6'10" guy underutilized because he plays PF like LA's top pick last season, Julius Randle. We may not be able to get Ed Davis from them, but 6'5" PG Jordan Clarkson would make a great backup PG; Clarkson is coming off a surprisingly productive rookie season for the Lakers. If we had to fall back on another option to complete the deal, 6'4" SG Wayne Ellington, out of UNC, is a decent 3-point shooter. A trade with the Lakers would prove lucrative.

Options kinda go downhill from here.

One very intriguing scenario would be the LA Clippers, if they decided they were hot to add a big free agent. They just added SG Lance Stephenson & now there's a logjam of shooters including JJ Redick, Austin Rivers, and CJ Wilcox. I think Coach Doc Rivers could decide it would be much better for his son, Austin's, career if he were traded to CLE and had the chance to start at SG between LeBron & Kyrie, or at worst lead the second offense as PG & spot up a ton of 3's as SG off the bench, instead. That would seem to be a hell of a lot better for Austin Rivers' career than wasting away on the bench behind Lance Stephenson & JJ Redick. I still like lengthy SF Hedo Turkoglu & think he could be the answer in 2016 to spell LeBron off the bench for 8-10 minutes a game, like LBJ desperately needs to lengthen the quality of his career. Throw Turkoglu in to complete a trade with the Clippers IF DOC WANTS TO DO WHAT'S BEST FOR HIS SON. To make the salaries work, we might need to include Orlando and receive Tobias Harris. That would be one hell of a decent deal for the Cavs; 2 young players on the rise in Rivers and Harris (plus Hedo Turkoglu).

Another one I actually like is with MIN, where we take back goofball 6'8" PF Anthony Bennett, if only for his $5.5m salary. We'd do it, instead, for the other players coming along with him... hopefully surprise talent 6'6" SF Shabazz Muhammad, who's good at 3's, and 6'5" (supposed PG) Zach LaVine, who is athletic as heck, a supreme dunker, and a surprise 3-point shooter. LaVine would be a quick fan favorite like JR Smith, and he's only 20. Shabazz is 22 & improving his 3's nicely. And we'd have Anthony Bennett again, just in case he developed into a decent player; he actually shoots a decent 3-pt% and is improving. I don't think MIN would be that hard up to clear cap-space to do this deal with us, but it would be wise of an NBA star to take their talents to MIN over the next few years while they've stockpiled great young talent with PG Ricky Rubio, SG Andrew Wiggins and now Karl-Anthony Towns. If MIN gets some confidence that they can draw a good free agent, they may be willing to clear the cap-space necessary with a deal like this with CLE. And, silly as it may sound, there's still a fair chance that Anthony Bennett makes it in the league & is a good contributing piece in a few years time, he's still just 21 & has raw skills & athleticism. I wouldn't mind taking him back on the cheap.

I think a trade with the Rockets or Lakers makes the most sense for the parties involved. Houston's ready to unload Ariza & Jason Terry, and the Lakers are looking for someone to take PG Jeremy Lin - and we should if we can get another player or two like Ed Davis, Jordan Clarkson, Wesley Johnson, or Wayne Ellington.
    Last edited by Lou Groza; 06-26-2015 at 11:32 PM.