8 66.67%
  • 15 mil

1 8.33%
  • 17.5 mil

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tristan Thompson

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to be mad at Tristan for this. We know who is pulling the strings.
    I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

His agent? Lol
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His agent? Lol
    You have to believe Le Bron is smarter than that. We're already going to have four big contracts on the books- the Mike Millers of the world aren't exactly what I'd call quality depth.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hearing it's about Dramond Greene getting 85 mil. Now his agent Rich Paul is squeezing Gilbert to beat that. Good luck. West is better and cheaper.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

Lakers, Knicks offering him a truck load ? they could....? offer sheet ?
    Dan wait for it
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

All good points. There's no sense jumping to conclusions....but I'm going to anyway cause I'm currently bored shitless. Regardless of what Lebron is telling him or his agent, TT is ultimately in control. He's been doing and saying all the right things.....until now. He said (paraphrasing) "Someone has to be on cleanup duty", "someone has to be the janitor" etc etc...which is a great team first attitude.

Well then don't expect to be paid MAX contract bro....he should be accepting a more than solid deal for what he's worth and not trying to rake Gilbert, and all of us fans btw, over the coals to "get his".

I realize I should not be expecting a guy to take less money when, after all, every freaking thing is about money.....but how much is enough. He still has years of money making in him (barring injury, of course) even AFTER this contract. The stars are aligning bro, and you're taking a shit on them.

I don't care how much money Gilbert is willing to spend, overspending on TT will hurt the team and hurt our chances of getting a title...even if only minorly.

Hey I like TT...I'm just ranting a bit on it while we wait....but if he's holding on for a max deal while we "hard working Cleveland fans who nothing is given to and everything is earned" watch from the cheap seats, he better not fucking expect much sympathy.

And if he does leave (which I do not expect) and gets a big payday from someone else, that organization and those fans will fucking hate his guts within 2 years....because Lebron won't be on THAT team.....and TT WON'T be putting up these numbers. He exists in his current state because of LBJ and the cast of awesomeness around him.

Go fucking play with Carmelo and let's see what you got....he should be remembering that when he signs this deal.

Man I got all worked up on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same. He's already an overpaid PF that can't shoot, isn't a great passer, is average on D, but gets a ton of rebounds.
    We already have Andy to do that and he's at least capable of making a 15 foot J and his free throws to boot. If we add West TT is out and I still say West is better than TT. TT is younger is all.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

Tristan wants a ton of money and the major factor he provides is largely related to HUSTLE....

that's not a good match. I'll be MAD if we blow much more than $15M/season on Tristan...

Word is we're trying to work out a trade for BKN's 35 yr old 6'7" SG Joe Johnson including Haywood and Varejao... then adding FA PF David West. Allegedly, our interest in West has to do with dealing Varejao... not so much the Tristan saga.

Joe Johnson will make $24M in 2016. (ridiculous) After the season, he'd likely be gone (or resign on the relative cheap) and that salary hole could be filled by a max-type guy... or not, because going 2 years over the cap, the penalty is much stiffer. So, perhaps in 2017 Dan Gilbert won't want to be so much over the cap... (and the cap will be raised by ~$20M @ that time)
    Last edited by Lou Groza; 07-06-2015 at 02:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that LBJ signed
    so much for his...so called holding Gilbert up to get TT his money. looks more like the LBJ that told DWade take care of his business. just saying
    I bit on the media hype myself lol.. hate it when that happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Think LBJ was just waiting for the cap to be announced officially so he could get his max %.

Griffin is a nutcase if he pays 5/80m for TT. Let some other team waste their money.
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Id do a sign and trade deal with tt. That may be whats taking so long.

You cant pay love 22mill,varejao 10,and tt 16mill
    Thats 48million on the 4 position. Some can play 5 in small ball,but thats alot of money for guys to rebound,who arent good shooters,dont make FT,and arent special.

Post Thanks / Like

Think LBJ was just waiting for the cap to be announced officially so he could get his max %.

Griffin is a nutcase if he pays 5/80m for TT. Let some other team waste their money.
    Amen. There are guys making millions who cannot even make foul shots...the easiest point in basketball. Wow I say! Trade him for D. Russell. Really good dude...just not a scorer.

Post Thanks / Like

TT's agent trying to force the Cavs hand...

http://deadspin.com/is-tristan-thomp...ffe-1723270379

If anyone could copy/paste the article for me I'd appreciate it. A good write up of the situation.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Is Tristan Thompson's Threat To Take The Qualifying Offer A Bluff?

Kevin DraperFiled to: TRISTAN THOMPSON 8/10/15 10:05pm

Six weeks ago, it seemed to be a foregone conclusion that restricted free agent Tristan Thompson would re-sign a big free agent deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers. He had just come off a good NBA Finals performance, and on the first day of free agency Marc Stein and Brian Windhorst reported that Thompson and the Cavaliers were nearing a five-year, $80 million deal. And then the two sides stopped talking, and then even though LeBron James supposedlywasn’t going to re-sign until Thompson did he went ahead and did so, and then all of a sudden the two weren’t a package deal.

The same day James’s agreement with the Cavaliers was reported, Sportsnet’s Michael Grange reported that Thompson was “open-minded” about signing a short-term deal with the Cavaliers:
    After that, silence. For the last month, as the moratorium period ended and everybody signed and loose ends got tied up and rosters were settled and Summer League came and went and guys decided to move on to Europe, there was no news about Thompson.
    This morning, ESPN’s Cleveland-sage Brian Windhorst dropped a column explaining that there is still no deal because this is “one of the most complex free agency situations of the last decade.” The upshot of his piece is that, compared to a typical restricted free agent, Thompson feels he has additional leverage in the form of the massive jump the salary cap will take next season.
    Restricted free agents are typically in a tough spot. Since their current team has the right to match any contract offer, potential suitors are leery about wasting their time (and tying up their salary cap space) by making an offer that is likely to be matched. Teams hold most of the leverage, offering their RFAs smaller contracts than they desire, and essentially daring them to convince another team to tender a compelling offer. At this point, the Portland Trail Blazers are the only possible big-money alternative for Thompson.
    For Thompson to become a restricted (rather than unrestricted) free agent in the first place, the Cavaliers had to extend him a one-year qualifying offer. In Thompson’s case that qualifying offer is for $6.8 million, a 32 percent increase on his salary last year. Considering the reporting that he was nearing a five-year, $80 million contract last month, a one-year, $6.8-million contract seems paltry.

Tristan Thompson throws down a dunk during the NBA Finals

The threat to accept the one-year qualifying offer usually isn’t taken very seriously. Sure, maybe the Cavaliers offered five-years, $80 million and Thompson wanted something closer to the five-year, $94 million max. Is he really going to give up the security of $80 million and risk a career-threatening injury, or just a terrible season, to take the $6.8 million offer and hope to get a mega contract as an unrestricted free agent next season?

But according to Windhorst’s story, Thompson sees the situation differently. Depending upon where exactly next season’s salary cap ends up, the max contract for Thompson in 2016 could prove to be $5 million per year more than a max deal now. Over the life of a five-year contract, that adds up (when accounting for the built-in annual raises) to over $25 million more than Thompson could get signing this year, more than making up for a salary of just $6.8 million this season.
    If you look at the list of 2016 free agents, it’s a pretty garbage bunch. The only players clearly better than Thompson are Kevin Durant and Al Horford, and I could buy arguments for Dwyane Wade, Mike Conley, and Andre Drummond (RFA) as well. With predictions that somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 teams will have enough salary cap space to offer a max contract, if Thompson has a decent-or-better season, chances are somebody is going to offer him the max.
    Of course, this still carries enormous risk. Thompson could break his leg or tear his Achilles. Kevin Love could turn in a monster season, keeping Thompson on the bench and causing his value to diminish. Another season of record-breaking three-pointers could convince general managers that a power forward who can’t shoot isn’t nearly as valuable as they thought. So the question remains, is Thompson really willing to entertain the risk of accepting the one-year qualifying offer?
    Thompson’s agent Rich Paul would certainly like the Cavaliers to think so, and has begun putting pressure on the team by talking to the media. This afternoon, Michael Grange tweeted“Breaking: agent Rich Paul tells @Sportsnet Tristan Thompson will sign 1yr Qualifying offer with Cavs and be a free agent in 2016 /1 [sic]” before quickly deleting and rowing back his report. Grange did go on to quote Paul directly on the topic:
    Similarly, Paul told SB Nation the following:
    “We are a long way from it, but it’s clear, yes,” Paul said. “If [Thompson] plays on the [qualifying offer], it will be his last year with the Cavs.”
    There are a couple of things going on here. It seems that what Thompson really wants is that five-year, $94 million max deal, but the Cavaliers haven’t put that offer on the table. In theory, Thompson could sign the one-year qualifying offer and then choose to re-sign with the Cavaliers in 2016, but Paul is explicitly taking that option off the table in an attempt to get the Cavaliers to quit playing chicken and offer Thompson the max.
    But in addition to all of the other reasons not to believe that Thompson would actually accept the qualifying offer, the damage of losing Thompson is mitigated by how much money it saves the team, as the Cavaliers are going to be luxury tax hell next year. Per salary cap guru Bobby Marks, if Thompson takes the qualifying offer the Cavaliers will pay $94.8 million in salary and $16.5 million in luxury tax next year, whereas if they they sign him to a max contract they’ll pay $104.5 million in salary and $44.2 million in luxury tax. Thompson taking the qualifying offer saves the Cavaliers $37.4 million, quite the consolation prize for losing him (assuming Paul’s threat is legitimate) after next season.
    The luxury tax also potentially explains why the Cavaliers are digging their heels in so hard against offering Thompson the max. The difference between giving Thompson a $94 million as opposed to $80 million contract isn’t just the roughly $3 million extra the Cavaliers would spend this year, but also the roughly $10 million extra they’d pay in luxury tax penalties. Put the monetary savings together with the evidence that Thompson is a good-but-not-great player—he’s only the third best power forward on his own team, he can’t shoot outside of the restricted area, he’s only an okay (with the potential to be good) defender—and you can see why the Cavaliers don’t think they need to offer Thompson the max.
    Last season Paul client Eric Bledsoe was involved in similarly contested contract negotiations with the Suns, and he eventually signed a five-year deal deep into September despite havingclaimed to have signed the qualifying offer, just not sent it to the Suns. Many other players had to make a similar decision to Thompson about whether to hold off a year to sign a big deal to try and cash in under the new salary cap, and no non-LeBron James players did. Greg Monroe, who took the Pistons’ qualifying offer last season and signed a three-year max contract with the Bucks last month, is basically the only good player to have ever signed the qualifying offer.

And so despite the apparent acrimony, you should still bet on this contract impasse being resolved, and Thompson re-signing with the Cavaliers. The two sides have until Halloween to work out a deal, and everybody has enough incentive to get something done. The Cavaliers have a championship window of about two or three years, and losing Thompson shuts it much quicker, while Thompson would be taking a tremendous risk by leaving $73 million or more on the table. Expect to read sometime in September about Thompson new five-year contract, for somewhere between $80 and $94 million, allowing both sides to feel like they won something.
    I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid to read that ^. I might throw a hissy.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty objective for a deadspin article.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Rich Paul playing with OP money. this TT fellow not even a All-Star. good for him... i hope

Post Thanks / Like

Take the dog for a walk and listen to this http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...8273&f=4700673 (it's 18 minutes long). Windy explains it well and he's almost won me over on it....almost.

I guess it depends on the Cavs future plans with other players/luxury tax hits etc etc... stuff we can't know...hopefully they'll do the best thing for winning it all.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, If I were Griffin I would call TT's bluff and get him to sign the qualifying offer and I would trade him for any value I could get during the season.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

10 Million is a lot of money to grab rebounds, plus play a some D. Not worth any more than that. Hell, ay me 10 mill and I'll rebound for the Cavs.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Ezrahauden; 09-07-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrahauden View Post
    I see he needs socks. Rich Paul help him out.

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger Tristan wants you to be aware of the danger of forest fires.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger Tristan wants you to be aware of the danger of forest fires.

Lol