Thread: Dan Gilbert - when does he sell ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dan Gilbert - when does he sell ?

Dan Gilbert is the best owner of a Cleveland sports franchise we have ever had. imo
    he is also a very good businessman this team will not be worth as much in 5 years as it is now.
    my guess if we win it all once he may sell then or in 2 more years whatever comes first. the value doubled on 7-11-14 after winning a ring it would be at a all-time high.

If he still owns this team post LBJ would be surprised.
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as the Cavs win a title.

Btw, he might be the best owner in Cleveland... but he's still a bad owner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twizbuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As soon as the Cavs win a title.

Btw, he might be the best owner in Cleveland... but he's still a bad owner.
    Why ? Mr Magoo ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madmadworld View Post
    Why ? Mr Magoo ?
    It goes back to the first LBJ stint when he couldn't come through with a sidekick. I know teams didn't want to make the Cavs that good, but there were deals that could have been made, ones we'll never know about. Of course that's as much on Ferry at that time too, and he's gone. But Gilbert running his mouth when LBJ left and promising a title was dumb, too. Couldn't put anything together when LBJ left. The HC position has been a head scratcher for a very long time, and was a giant joke for a couple years. This time through Gilbert's stayed more quiet which is great, but it doesn't make him a good owner, it just means he's shut up. His willingness to pay the luxury tax helps though.

I wonder how much of what's happened currently can be attributed to Griffin, but you'd have to give credit to Gilbert for the hire I suppose in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

All a owner can do in the NBA is hire/fire and be willing to spend.
    have never heard of Dan over ruling a GM or not be willing to spend.

In LBJ's first 7 years top free agents would not come to him. Larry "i just want to have fun" Hughes came but did not give a crap about devoting himself to win a title. imo the worse Boozer $hiting on a Blind guy. Gilbert was not around then. did everyting right by Zydrunas. the man paid Shaq 20 mil just hoping. overpaid Antawn Jamison etc

Now we will have if not the highest close to it payroll in the league.

For me his letter spoke for most of the paying fans in the area. was it a smart move ? no..
    it came from the heart. the man has heart and has it for the City of Cleveland.

Post Thanks / Like

I see him selling before LBJ retires if the Cavs don't win the title.

Better owner than Haslam, no question. The Indians? That's seemed like top-down management problems for a long time.
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

I would not at all be surprised if LBJ buys part of the team relatively soon.
    Dan Gilbert should sell asap the value will never be higher in that market.

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy to think that Dan Gilbert, in spite of all his flaws, he's the one that did what needed to be done to bring a championship to Cleveland. Never did I ever expect it especially after how he wrote that infamous letter but LeBron came back, he righted the wrongs and Dan ponied up the cash to make sure we had a good team around him this time.
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Dan was never cheap as our owner.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Dan wants the Cavs to be like the Yankees and be perennial championship contenders. If that's possible.

We got Kyrie,TT and Love locked up for several years. I think Delly is probably gone and McRae replaces him.
    James is on a year to year contract. RJ is retiring and will be a huge loss. He replaced Mitchell from last year and was better.
    Frye is limited in his role, but still valuable depending on the matchups. Same with Timo, MoWilliams and both Jones'.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

Dan was never cheap as our owner.
    Cheap, no. But I just mean that the first run with LeBron it was clear that we failed to surround him with adequate talent. We did not make that same mistake twice.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    Cheap, no. But I just mean that the first run with LeBron it was clear that we failed to surround him with adequate talent. We did not make that same mistake twice.
    That was not Dan's fault............. no one wanted to go to Cleveland. now that LBJ proved he had the "blueprint" Klove said sure would love to be there. plus the losing got us TT,Kyrie. shame they didn't get more. but Dan would have paid whom ever the first time around. Shaq 20 mil etc

Post Thanks / Like

That was more Danny Ferry's fault. He wasn't very good.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

Dan Gilbert is one of the most popular sports owners...probably until the World Series. He's looking at buying Yahoo and a valuable franchise certainly helps. So does Warren Buffett and LeBron James.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/16/

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/10/news...n-billionaire/

Post Thanks / Like

Shit, Yahoo is a sinking ship but if someone smart re-assigned it and put some money in to it who knows? The irony is that Yahooo! was arguably one of the first social networks with Yahoo! Chat and Yahoo! Groups (which was basically just message boards like this). What could have been.

Still the go to for fantasy sports.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Lebron want's to own an nba franchise but league rules won't him until after he retires. It wouldn't surprise me though if upon his eventual announcement, also comes some sort of ownership in the cavs. However, would LBJ have enough money to become a majority owner? I know he has investments, but even Jordan had to spin off from Nike and NOBODY is getting that deal anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Rules can be changed for a King. plus he has a Billion dollar + deal with who ?
    and his earning power is ^^^^^^ never higher. just saying

Post Thanks / Like

That was not Dan's fault............. no one wanted to go to Cleveland. now that LBJ proved he had the "blueprint" Klove said sure would love to be there. plus the losing got us TT,Kyrie. shame they didn't get more. but Dan would have paid whom ever the first time around. Shaq 20 mil etc
    If LeBron hadn't left- we probably wouldn't have Kyrie or Thompson. So a blessing in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    Not that Gilbert failed- LBJ wasn't the active recruiter until he went to the Heat. Then it was "Wanna win a Championship? Come on down!"

Seems like the Warriors are getting the message. We couldn't beat their Big 3 with our Big 3. Hey KD, want to win a Championship with us? We'll have the Big 4 now. MHO- Durant should stay with the Thunder. They damn near beat GS as it is. Some tweaking, and they're in the Finals.