Thread: NBA /Basketball rules

Post Thanks / Like

Default NBA /Basketball rules

They have changed many rules over the years, 3 point shot, no hand check, that little 3/4 circle under the basket etc. will touch on those sometime maybe.

But this first post will be on hack a Shaq or whomever and fouls in general.
    most of us have watched many sports they all have their rules. Football in all of it's incarnations if you violate any of those rules it hurts your team and can have the effect of said players allowableness to play.

In your mind go thru every sport you've ever seen. can breaking the rules in practicality give you an advantage ? penalties will kill you coaches say. other than having a thug taking out the best player imo thats not practical. lol
    one could hit below the belt in a fight but risk a disqualification if repeated. eye poking another example. (cough Jon Jones)

But in Basketball we see this where players break the rules looking for a advantage. it just makes what is a beautiful game look like something totally different at the ends of close games.
    it's preposterous when thought about. it's like jumping offsides would prolong the game. a pitcher hitting a batter to so the same. see just ridiculous.

Don't tell me it's just part of the game. people should not break the rules that's why their there. on top of that they change rules in sport near yearly anyhow.
    these rule has just been wrong anyway.

What can be done ?
    If you foul a player the fouled players team has choice to shoot the free throws or have the ball out of bounds. that simple.

It would speed up the game to.
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Basketball, of all sports, is the easiest for a referee to influence (I've read articles about how sports fixing has been a problem in the NBA, although it "cannot be proven") and when you watch the games it's plain to see. Three in the key is the easiest rule that is broken on a nightly basis, as is travelling. It's a top-down problem. Adam Silver is carving his path as new NBA commish, if there's a true controversy it may catch his attention but as it stands the league permits biased refereeing and thus we get what we get on the floor. Certain referees have beef with players (I can't remember the ref they showed LeBron has a .500-ish playoff record when that particular referee is head ref compared to a near .800 record w/ other referee's) so there are things that you can definitely point to, not just flagrant rule ignorance.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of having the choice of a free throw or inbounds(Cough Tristian) only when the team being fouled is in the bonus. I use fouls to my advantage in the high school setting....ie If you have the ball with 5 seconds left and I have say three fouls to give, I will use them as you inbound to run the clock down further to make you inbound with say 1.5- 2 sec left to try and get a good look at a shot as opposed to you having the 5 seconds. The Nba has all but done away with that as the foul limit is 2 in the final 2 minutes of each qtr I believe. On the other side, as a player, I think there is an art in getting away with fouls or violations, I just can't see some things being taken out of the game. I do feel that it is a part of the beautiful game you describe. As a coach, I've scouted and put in the time to know who can and can't shoot free throws on your roster, sub accordingly or miss free throws, your choice. I sub small ball handling free throw lineups in these instances up with short time. I put in faster defenders with few fouls to foul when trailing. A big chess match........ that I can't see them alleviating. Seriously tho, i don't care if you are 5'8 or 7'2. You are paid millions to play this game, your craft. Learn to make a freaking free throw. No excuse for poor free throw shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

But Kid
    that Fouling is just wrong. breaking the rules should not be rewarded. I wanted it stopped now. what your talking about with 5 seconds left is just ugly. to stop it maybe you lose 5 points or a add 24 seconds on the clock. heck lose a finger lol

If you love those free throws so much a intentional foul you reward the fouled team 4 free throws and the ball. this ugly must stop.

EE
    that ref is Joey Crawford.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madmadworld View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Kid
    that Fouling is just wrong. breaking the rules should not be rewarded. I wanted it stopped now. what your talking about with 5 seconds left is just ugly. to stop it maybe you lose 5 points or a add 24 seconds on the clock. heck lose a finger lol

If you love those free throws so much a intentional foul you reward the fouled team 4 free throws and the ball. this ugly must stop.
    I understand how one can see its ugliness, I also see when another coach is shitting himself as its happening with no timeouts left to draw up a play lol. Think about it tho, in h.s. for example , bonus is 7 team fouls. Thats when you shoot a 1 and 1 , 10 team fous and you shoot 2. If I've defended you for an entire half and have only committed 4 team fouls, why shouldn't I be able to use my fouls to give? In my realm, there is no shot clock either, so the foul game is a big part of my success or death in a game. Nothing worse than an opposing team in the bonus in 1st or 3rd quarter, with my squad in foul trouble and them shooting 25 free throws in that half. I press and play tight man so it happens a lot. Maybe the Nba going to 5 fouls dq would help alleviate this??? Or being able to pick who shoots free throws in final 2 minutes???? Good point and topic, guess I've just never really thought about it. At my level, the clock and fouls are something I have some control over, so I'm biased
    EE
    that ref is Joey Crawford.
    Last edited by TheBestPlayersPlay; 08-29-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: fixed

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^ I dunno what happened lol, my response is in the quote for some reason?

Post Thanks / Like

fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatkid View Post
    I understand how one can see its ugliness, I also see when another coach is shitting himself as its happening with no timeouts left to draw up a play lol. Think about it tho, in h.s. for example , bonus is 7 team fouls. Thats when you shoot a 1 and 1 , 10 team fous and you shoot 2. If I've defended you for an entire half and have only committed 4 team fouls, why shouldn't I be able to use my fouls to give? In my realm, there is no shot clock either, so the foul game is a big part of my success or death in a game. Nothing worse than an opposing team in the bonus in 1st or 3rd quarter, with my squad in foul trouble and them shooting 25 free throws in that half. I press and play tight man so it happens a lot. Maybe the Nba going to 5 fouls dq would help alleviate this??? Or being able to pick who shoots free throws in final 2 minutes???? good idea

Good point and topic, guess I've just never really thought about it. At my level, the clock and fouls are something I have some control over, so I'm biased
    Mr biased/control freak
    as a coach you could spend your time teaching shooting, the weave, picks etc
    Get a shot clock too 45 seconds should work lol

Who would go to a game if it was all free shooting ? create that sport and wait for the networks to show up.... good luck.....can you say.....boring

Post Thanks / Like

yea yea yea, I am a control freak. But my job as a coach stays secure while winning, so I have to control what I can. Trust me, we practice hard and work on all those things you mentioned, except the weave, too old school lol. We do other drills that emulate the same thing tho, more of a rebound outlet pass and filling the wing on a sprint while the guard pushes the ball up the middle. We prepare to the point that we have inbounds plays set up for the foul/clock scenario I described in the earlier post. If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail. My coaches and I live by it. We try to be ready for any scenario or disadvantage thrown at us. I would love shot clock at my level, would make things more exciting. The games where the teams are shooting a lot of ft's are surprisingly fun games to watch, as we are playing fast and physical the whole game. I had a coach beat me 31-29 one time, we shot 4 ft all game as he held the ball and played as slow as he could. Old school hoosier style, 4 passes before a shot kind of thing. That was BORING!

I'm sorry to be the one who does say it, but..........I just think some things are part of the game and will not go away.

Post Thanks / Like

Default that little 3/4 circle under the basket

This little rule change has changed the game.

The first year as I listened was told. when a defender has any part of his feet in that area he will no long get a charging call. that simple.

By the third year the defender was being called for the foul if in the area and contacted by the offense player. wtf happened ?

The only time this is not called is when the defender stuffs a dunk. then it has to be really clean.
    Anyone else note this strangeness ?

Post Thanks / Like

The first year as I listened was told. when a defender has any part of his feet in that area he will no long get a charging call. that simple.

By the third year the defender was being called for the foul if in the area and contacted by the offense player. wtf happened ?

The only time this is not called is when the defender stuffs a dunk. then it has to be really clean.
    Nah that one got by me. The NBA rules seem more like suggestions. Traveling and double dribble come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

If any part of his body is "inside" the half circle, the defender will automatically be called for the blocking foul. He has to be completely outside the circle to draw a charge as you said. I believe it was a safety deal, didn't want guys setting up and undercutting guys trying to take a charge near the rim is how I understood it. You know these fans like the show, dunks and high scoring games, I assume that is the reason for it. You are right, def has changed the game. I'dve liked to see a few players from previous generations play under today's rules Mad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatkid View Post
    If any part of his body is "inside" the half circle, the defender will automatically be called for the blocking foul. He has to be completely outside the circle to draw a charge as you said. I believe it was a safety deal, didn't want guys setting up and undercutting guys trying to take a charge near the rim is how I understood it. You know these fans like the show, dunks and high scoring games, I assume that is the reason for it. You are right, def has changed the game. I'dve liked to see a few players from previous generations play under today's rules Mad
    At first(2 years) it was not called a foul on the defender, the defender just did not get the charging call.
    Then it evolved to the defender being called for a foul.
    and i never heard of a rule change after the first 2 years.

it is a half circle lol
    Last edited by madmadworld; 09-10-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO it's one of those rules that would be a bit difficult to call in the 'heat of the moment'. IMO a charge is blatant. Defender has his feet planted (We're talking about the same rule, right?) it should be pretty cut and dried. Guys like Matrix made a career out of drawing charges. I think that referee favoritism shields guys from being called, like with traveling or three in the key. The latter happens every single game, and often, but we would get pissy as fans if they were calling three-in-the-key foul's 8-10 times a game.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom line i just want all fouls on LBJ called lol
    this crap costing us 6-10 points a night