Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016 Draft

Post Thanks / Like

Default The 2016 Draft

sorry (not sorry)

We're going to have to draft a OT.
    Sorry, AO.

IMO, Joe Thomas needs to go. It's best for both the Browns and Thomas. It's a culture change thing and he's in decline. This is looking 2-3+ years out.

We're relying on a prayer to win next year anyway; why not pray Josh Gordon comes back and is a guy as well.

Sign Pryor immediately and have him learn this season.

Play Cam Irving a lot (mainly at center).

Gilbert? play em and find out this year so we can move on either way.

This team is handcuffed to Manziel. We can't bring in a rookie QB to play under these conditions nor can we afford a high draft pick on one.

(And yes, this means Pet needs to go)
    /keeping a particular coach because you want to keep a coach is not valid. Pet is a dime a dozen in the football world. We need to put Manziel in a position of leadership/that will never happen with Thomas and Pet here.

The Pet-Thomas leadership model has failed up to this point.

The position of need is WR/obviously and that's why Pryor needs to be signed-NOW. It's a long shot(ish) but he could open up the 1st round for the Browns if he shows promise.

If we could add an elite OT, make Pryor a guy (size) and introduce Jesus to Gordon (size) our offense improves dramatically for the next few years.

And then spend the rest of the draft on Defensive Ends and linebackers.

Post Thanks / Like

And before the 'you can't make the baby eating manziel a leader' argument...

If that's true, you can't keep him. It is what it is, he's a QB. A highly visible one. He needs to be elevated by giving him legitimate power if we ever want this to work.

We can't pussyfoot around with this kid-it won't work that way. We have to embrace it at this point unless you can show me a legit tier 2+ vet we can sign.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sorry (not sorry)

We're going to have to draft a OT.
    Sorry, AO.

IMO, Joe Thomas needs to go. It's best for both the Browns and Thomas. It's a culture change thing and he's in decline. This is looking 2-3+ years out.

We're relying on a prayer to win next year anyway; why not pray Josh Gordon comes back and is a guy as well.

Sign Pryor immediately and have him learn this season.

Play Cam Irving a lot (mainly at center).

Gilbert? play em and find out this year so we can move on either way.

This team is handcuffed to Manziel. We can't bring in a rookie QB to play under these conditions nor can we afford a high draft pick on one.

(And yes, this means Pet needs to go)
    /keeping a particular coach because you want to keep a coach is not valid. Pet is a dime a dozen in the football world. We need to put Manziel in a position of leadership/that will never happen with Thomas and Pet here.

The Pet-Thomas leadership model has failed up to this point.

The position of need is WR/obviously and that's why Pryor needs to be signed-NOW. It's a long shot(ish) but he could open up the 1st round for the Browns if he shows promise.

If we could add an elite OT, make Pryor a guy (size) and introduce Jesus to Gordon (size) our offense improves dramatically for the next few years.

And then spend the rest of the draft on Defensive Ends and linebackers.
    Cleveland has passed on too many play-makers in the draft recently. You can find good linemen in the 3rd and 4th round. Browns have high draft linemen right now and couldn't score on a 1st and goal. If we find out JM is not tgf, then I do everything to get Jared Goff. If JM is the man, I draft Laquan Treadwell. Can't depend on Josh Gordon. Browns need playmakers.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just thinking about starting a thread saying "Too early to talk about the 2016 draft?" lol

I agree, the Browns need to start Manziel the rest of the year and see what he can do. This isn't something I thought I'd say going into the season b/c I'm really not a fan of him but his attitude seems to have improved and I'm encouraged by what I saw against the Titans (fumbles aside).

If Manziel doesn't work out then there's Cook or Goff if they want either of them in the 1st round. (Please not Cardale... anyone but Cardale! Sorry Buckeye fans) Even if Manziel doesn't look good the rest of the year, do we really want to spend another 1st round pick on a QB? Should we go WR/LB in the first round instead and take a QB later hoping to get lucky?

As a side note, is it just me or is Haden looking a little off this year? Seemed like he got beat too often against a rookie in Cooper this week.
    #WeBarkTogether
    #Believeland

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Why the fuck are we getting rid of Joe Thomas? What on earth did he do wrong? He's literally the best player on the team, still has several years of quality play left in him, and he's not at all a character problem. Seriously, are people still cracking a tantrum because he said Johnny lost trust last year? It's time to let that go.

Dumb post is dumb. Let's get rid of Mack and Thomas so we can draft more fucking linemen. Yep. In fact, let's use every pick on a damn lineman. It's working so well for us. We've got a first round lineman sitting on the bench, occasionally playing tight end, so we should release Joe Thomas and draft another lineman.

If you're dedicated to Manziel, let's get him some damn weapons. Tight end and receiver. And let's try and get a pass rusher who can consistently rush the passer. Let's see if we can't bring in an ILB who can compete with Robertson/Kirksey. Let's see if we can't upgrade the DE positions that keep letting us down. Let's also look into fullbacks. I'm getting tired of Malcolm Johnson experiments in which we envision a H-Back but don't go through with it. Fuck it, let's just find a true damn fullback.

If we can get any number of those via the draft and free agency, we're going to be much better off, and have a roster in much better shape to help Johnny try and develop into someone who can lead this team.

Why is it that every single year, so many people think "Fire the coaches, release/trade for nothing some of our best players and start all the rookies" is a good fucking idea? We've literally tried that every single fucking year since the return. It does not work. It's never going to work. It's never even worked a little bit. Can we try something different for once?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    JM is the man, I draft Laquan Treadwell. Can't depend on Josh Gordon. Browns need playmakers.
    Treadwell and Gordon. Let's throw in a tight end via draft or free agency.

That's what the fuck is up. Ten points to Gambler. That's how you help a young quarterback grow. It ain't coming from releasing his future hall of fame left tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for putting the youth and best talent on the field. I really like the idea of just throwing Gilbert out there and see if he can learn. What would it hurt? Anybody drafted in the first 3 rounds over the last couple of years should be playing now on this clearly rebuilding team. Somebody needs to locate Bibbs and get him on the field.

As for Thomas - fine with me. I could go for less players that are known as much for their talking as their play, as long as Whitner goes with him. Cannot stand that guy and he's been completely worthless as a player at an easy position. He's just a dumb player.

Yes, Pettine needs to go along with most of his flunky friend coaches. He's the one that has pounded his win now mantra into all our heads. He's worn it around his neck long enough to be hung with it now - 2-10 over the last 12 games for a win now coach = firing. I have zero concern that they won't be able to find another coach. People work for money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasonh8806 View Post
    As a side note, is it just me or is Haden looking a little off this year? Seemed like he got beat too often against a rookie in Cooper this week.
    I don't think any CB is going to look good on this defense without at least a bare minimum of pass rush and pressure on the opposing QB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Cleveland has passed on too many play-makers in the draft recently. You can find good linemen in the 3rd and 4th round. Browns have high draft linemen right now and couldn't score on a 1st and goal. If we find out JM is not tgf, then I do everything to get Jared Goff. If JM is the man, I draft Laquan Treadwell. Can't depend on Josh Gordon. Browns need playmakers.
    It's hard to argue against this..

But I tried with the Pryor and Gordon angle.
    Disagree on Goff simply because we're not going to find out anything about Manziel this year. Because of what you just said...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by threesheets View Post
    I don't think any CB is going to look good on this defense without at least a bare minimum of pass rush and pressure on the opposing QB.
    Good point, I just thought he looked like he was behind a step. Maybe he's just lost the fire to play like the elite corner he is since the defense looks so flat.
    #WeBarkTogether
    #Believeland

Post Thanks / Like

If we don't take a WR in the first two rounds I'll find Farmer and challenge him to roshambo.

IMO. I THINK they're grooming Erving... Dont need to spend a high pick on OL three years in a row...
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    Treadwell and Gordon. Let's throw in a tight end via draft or free agency.

That's what the fuck is up. Ten points to Gambler. That's how you help a young quarterback grow. It ain't coming from releasing his future hall of fame left tackle.
    I'd love to see them get a big tight end that can be a real red zone threat and take advantage of those LB and S matchups. I don't care if it's through the draft or free agency but they need several play makers that's for sure.
    #WeBarkTogether
    #Believeland

Post Thanks / Like

This organization can't be trusted with young QBs - so no to drafting another with the current regime. Get some non QB difference makers on both sides of the ball - then worry about QB. At that point either Manziel or Davis may have a good enough team to play with and win. If not, you have a good enough team to attract a good vet QB, not the garbage we've been served the last two years. Who knows, maybe future draftees won't have to put out word that they don't want us to pick them.

Post Thanks / Like

BDU,

I explained my reasoning for departing with Thomas.

Again...

I believe he's in decline; 2-3 years down the road I don't think he's going to be the guy he is this year (which many over rate)(and we're not competing this year/probably not next)

Because of who he is-he is the leader. And that isn't working.

The only reason Mack stays at this point is we don't want him to.

And on Firin-the-coaches/this is about the philosophy of pet-it's old, predictable, low ceiling. And it's terrible for a manziel-in every way imaginable.

And quite frankly, I wouldn't trust pet with a first round QB under any circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    If we don't take a WR in the first two rounds I'll find Farmer and challenge him to roshambo.

IMO. I THINK they're grooming Erving... Dont need to spend a high pick on OL three years in a row...
    I'd take WR and TE in the first 2 rounds if there's a TE worth taking that high. I agree the OL shouldn't need any more high draft picks for a few years. On paper, they should have the talent to be a top 5 OL but so far it hasn't looked like it. I think it's a lack of motivation from the coaching staff and the ZB scheme.
    #WeBarkTogether
    #Believeland

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought he looked like he was behind a step. Maybe he's just lost the fire to play like the elite corner he is since the defense looks so flat.
    That might be part of it too. I recall last year he got off to a bad start too which makes you wonder if they are not training properly in camp to get ready for the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe needs list from everyone?

Current
    1. WR
    2. DE/OLB
    3. DE/OLB
    4. TE
    5. DL

I mentioned OT with the thought of letting Thomas go.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to see them get a big tight end that can be a real red zone threat and take advantage of those LB and S matchups. I don't care if it's through the draft or free agency but they need several play makers that's for sure.
    Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener are both off contract for Indy, and I doubt they'd be able to keep both. Could be an option. Another possibility could be Martellus Bennett in Chicago - he's not off contract until 2017, but Chicago are about to go through a rebuild and will probably move on from Cutler, so they might be willing to part ways for some additional ammunition. Just a quick look, but it doesn't seem there is a whole lot of really impressive options.

I don't know much about tight ends in the draft, I really haven't gone over it all yet, but I have seen it said a few times that the coming tight ends are more impressive than they've been in the last two drafts.

There are certainly options. I love big tight ends who can come in and make a difference. I really wish we'd give E.J Bibbs some looks. He outplayed every other tight end on the roster this preseason when it came to making a difference as a receiver, and built what looked like really strong chemistry with Manziel. Seems like it's worth a shot. It's not like Dray or Housler are doing anything worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener are both off contract for Indy, and I doubt they'd be able to keep both. Could be an option. Another possibility could be Martellus Bennett in Chicago - he's not off contract until 2017, but Chicago are about to go through a rebuild and will probably move on from Cutler, so they might be willing to part ways for some additional ammunition. Just a quick look, but it doesn't seem there is a whole lot of really impressive options.

I don't know much about tight ends in the draft, I really haven't gone over it all yet, but I have seen it said a few times that the coming tight ends are more impressive than they've been in the last two drafts.

There are certainly options. I love big tight ends who can come in and make a difference. I really wish we'd give E.J Bibbs some looks. He outplayed every other tight end on the roster this preseason when it came to making a difference as a receiver, and built what looked like really strong chemistry with Manziel. Seems like it's worth a shot. It's not like Dray or Housler are doing anything worthwhile.
    A big play making tight end would be such a great thing for Manziel. A big guy for Manziel to throw the ball up to in the end zone and a security blanket in tough situations when the pocket breaks down. It boggles my mind that Dray is still on the roster... he can't catch anything.

Fleener would be a decent option. I've only seen Martellus play a few times but he always seems to have a bad attitude, maybe that's b/c he's playing for the Bears with Cutler? lol
    Last edited by jasonh8806; 09-28-2015 at 10:03 PM.
    #WeBarkTogether
    #Believeland

Post Thanks / Like

If Manziel is a blue chip franchise juggernaut, he will elevate this team and make them all play better than we can conceive ....as is.

Don't build more excuses for the kid before he actually fails, you play him this season, you have a damned good idea of what you've got, and you move forward accordingly.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    BDU,

I explained my reasoning for departing with Thomas.

Again...

I believe he's in decline; 2-3 years down the road I don't think he's going to be the guy he is this year (which many over rate)(and we're not competing this year/probably not next)
    Fair enough, but let's address that in 2/3 years. I don't like the idea of a rookie tackle watching Manziel's blindside while he gets his first (Real) taste of NFL action, and we have overwhelming needs at receiver which will be much more important to Manziel as he develops in terms of upgrading the existing dynamic of the team. Then, when Manziel's hopefully grown over the next two seasons, we can look at the tackle situation then - even if it's a first round pick - assuming we don't use a middle/late round pick on a project, talent permitting.

Replacing Thomas because he might decline over the next two/three years is just a downgrade in anticipation of the future that we don't need right now, and can't afford to allow other positions to be neglected.

Oh, and on Mack, if he keeps playing like this - tell him to opt out, or look into a sign and trade, and we'll try put Irving to actual good use. He's been pretty shit so far this season.

Post Thanks / Like

He definitely should play the rest of the season. He needs the reps and the time to show what he can do. If he can play well with the weapons he has now just think of what he could do with real receiving threats.
    #WeBarkTogether
    #Believeland

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take WR and TE in the first 2 rounds if there's a TE worth taking that high. I agree the OL shouldn't need any more high draft picks for a few years. On paper, they should have the talent to be a top 5 OL but so far it hasn't looked like it. I think it's a lack of motivation from the coaching staff and the ZB scheme.
    We actually use more power than zone but I think the line isn't equipped for it...

TE is another spot we need a playmaker but Pettine likes TE's who can block.

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    If Manziel is a blue chip franchise juggernaut, he will elevate this team and make them all play better than we can conceive ....as is.

Don't build more excuses for the kid before he actually fails, you play him this season, you have a damned good idea of what you've got, and you move forward accordingly.
    Bingo. It's time for the training wheels to come off.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!