Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016 Draft

Post Thanks / Like

That's about where I am too Ocon. Of course, I'm standing by my 10+ win prediction that I make every year AND stand by until we lose our 7th game....

However, short of that miracle outcome the next best scenario is 7 wins; 3-5 games for Manziel playing well, and continued continuity with Farmer and Pettine. (Well, I guess the BEST 7 win result would have Manziel playing more and playing light's out but you get the gist of my point.)

Farmer HAS to stick the landing this next personnel cycle (2016). A team playing hard, good football coming off 7 or more wins in back to back seasons starts to 'feel' more like an organization gaining ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's about where I am too Ocon. Of course, I'm standing by my 10+ win prediction that I make every year AND stand by until we lose our 7th game....

However, short of that miracle outcome the next best scenario is 7 wins; 3-5 games for Manziel playing well, and continued continuity with Farmer and Pettine. (Well, I guess the BEST 7 win result would have Manziel playing more and playing light's out but you get the gist of my point.)

Farmer HAS to stick the landing this next personnel cycle (2016). A team playing hard, good football coming off 7 or more wins in back to back seasons starts to 'feel' more like an organization gaining ground.
    The best draft in NFL history was 2014 and Farmer totally blew it.

It'll be very tough for the Browns to reach the four win mark after 10 games.

I don't see how you think the Browns defense is playing good football. That's almost as amazing as predicting the team will win 10 games!

Post Thanks / Like

No way Farmer uses a first on a WR. That's just my gut given how outspoken about it he's been...
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    The best draft in NFL history was 2014 and Farmer totally blew it.

It'll be very tough for the Browns to reach the four win mark after 10 games.

I don't see how you think the Browns defense is playing good football. That's almost as amazing as predicting the team will win 10 games!
    Where did I say the Browns are playing good defensive football?

And 2014 was the best draft in NFL history? Can we wait a couple years before making such a statement?

Post Thanks / Like

Suspend this motherfucking thread till we 're mathematically out of the Playoffs.
    http://www.barkinghard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1122_6.gif

OconRecon is offline #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszler I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

If we end up drafting D...

Jaylon Smith meets 290-pound Toa Lobendahn at the line of scrimmage.

2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)
    Training Camp schedule: Rookies report 7/23, vets 7/26, 1st practice 7/27

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like if Pettine/Farmer get another season we will see an OLB/pass rush threat drafted in the first round. This D's lack of teeth is alarming and I can see it being a regime priority above a playmaker on offense.
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey.
    At least we're this far into the season before discussing the draft.
    Over the past 15 years the draft was being brought up while we were still in the preseason 90% of the time....
    You learn something new everyday. Unless you have a brain injury, then it's all pretty much yelling and coloring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    I feel like if Pettine/Farmer get another season we will see an OLB/pass rush threat drafted in the first round. This D's lack of teeth is alarming and I can see it being a regime priority above a playmaker on offense.
    No, Cleveland drafted a defensive player in the 1st round the last two drafts. (Gilbert, Shelton) A receiver or QB should be the top pick for the Browns PERIOD I have a new player on the radar, should be able to get him in the 2nd round, if he doesn't play his way into the 1st round. Paxton Lynch-QB-6'7", 245, good mobility and accurate arm.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard a theory today that the fact that we are starting a lot of Undrafted free agents is a red fag in and of itself. I had given Farmer credit for being able to find good UDFA talent, but maybe they aren't THAT good.......they just have to start because Farmer's drafts suck so damn bad and is just generally proof of our overall lack of talent on the team.

I'm not saying I buy into this.....definitely a glass half empty take....I'm thinking the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by Ezrahauden; 10-20-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrahauden View Post
    I heard a theory today that the fact that we are starting a lot of Undrafted free agents is a red fag in and of itself. I had given Farmer credit for being able to find good UDFA talent, but maybe they aren't THAT good.......they just have to start because Farmer's drafts suck so damn bad and is just generally proof of our overall lack of talent on the team.

I'm not saying I buy into this.....definitely a glass half empty take....I'm thinking the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
    I don't know so asking...
    How do the UDFA in question compare to the rest of the league?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OzDawg View Post
    I don't know so asking...
    How do the UDFA in question compare to the rest of the league?
    I've no clue but it's a valid question and point. It's tiresome being a Browns fan....sifting through the minutia of why we suck lol.

Teams like the pats just wave a magic wand and pick up guys that fit their system (system probably being the main reason for success) and draft giant fast people who can jump over centers and block extra points....watching that is tiresome too.

We need to stay with Farmer and Pett and see how deep the rabbit hole goes imo....get everyone moving in the same direction...and as fans....hope it's the right one.

Post Thanks / Like

it's the horrible drafting of the past that requires more UDFA's to fill in for the players who should've been here. It's also partly why we have the highest paid defense. There's just not enough drafted players to fill in. That and the constant HC/GM change that erodes decent players away from here.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

But all in all it's the history of bad drafting that has caused the proliferation of FA's and UDFA's.

It's one of the symptoms that this regime is trying to address. First and foremost with better drafts. Secondly with continuity at HC and GM. With those two things in place the backups, presumably lower draft picks who know the system, ascend into temporary starting positions until a higher draft pick can fill in.

We don't have enough of those draft picks so we have to use UDFA's and FA's.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say you have to look at the level the UDFA is playing. If they are bottom tier starters, then yes, it is bad drafting. But if they are like Gipson...a pro-bowl quality guy...or like K.Williams who has demonstrated being a top notch slot CB...that is not a negative no matter who else you drafted.

Face it, the draft is nothing but educated guesses. The UDFA is a lottery. Hitting the lottery more than other teams is not a bad thing...but if you are playing UDFA 'scrubs'...then yes, that reflects poorly.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Your right. If the UDFA's are productive it's all good.

Post Thanks / Like

That is absolute the case, example, I doubt Taylor Gabriel makes the team if Browns had a good receiving corp. Same with dbs, K. Williams is good, but if Gilbert were as good as his draft position, Williams may be on the practice squad. Scott Soloman couldn't hang on at other places, but he's a started at Cleveland. I give Farmer no credit for UDFA s.
    Last edited by Gambler; 10-20-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Gilbert were as good as his draft position, Williams may be on the practice squad
    Just one note on this...Gilbert cannot play the slot, and was not drafted for the slot. Gilbert starting would have precluded signing T.Williams in FA.

K.Williams was the reason they could let Skrine walk.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    No, Cleveland drafted a defensive player in the 1st round the last two drafts. (Gilbert, Shelton) A receiver or QB should be the top pick for the Browns PERIOD I have a new player on the radar, should be able to get him in the 2nd round, if he doesn't play his way into the 1st round. Paxton Lynch-QB-6'7", 245, good mobility and accurate arm.
    Yes but 1) we have Manziel, 2) drafting a WR in the 1st round is the antithesis of Farmers philosophy. I would be shocked if it happens.

Gilbert, a CB, Shelton a DT. Neither are get-after-the-QB pass rushers...

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Going to be interesting. A lot is going to depend on
    1. Do we keep our coaches as Haslam promised?
    2. IS Manziel the next QB...or will that ship sale?
    3. Josh Gordon...do they believe he will be the same player?
    4. Mack....does he opt out?

Those are some big questions that will have to be answered before any draft discussions can be meaningful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    Just one note on this...Gilbert cannot play the slot, and was not drafted for the slot. Gilbert starting would have precluded signing T.Williams in FA.

K.Williams was the reason they could let Skrine walk.
    You're right, K. williams was a bad example. K. Williams would have made it on many teams, he is very good playing the slot receiver. I give Farmer credit for that one.

Post Thanks / Like

My draft board of positions at this moment:

1) OLB
    2) ILB
    3) WR

Yes, I'm that concerned about the missing defensive playmakers. I wish we had three first round picks.

Post Thanks / Like

We still need a QBOTF ​IF they're done with JFF.

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Receiver depends on free agents. Unfortunately, Benjamin and Barnidge are both on the last year of their contract - and plenty of teams are going to come knocking given their current form. If we can't retain both, our cupboard is literally 100% empty given we can't rely on Gordon right now.

That's going to be a big influencing factor. I also think we should cut Bowe and Hawkins.

Right now though, gotta be thinking first round is quarterback territory. Manziel is off the fucking rails.

Priority -

1. QB
    2. DE/OLB
    3. WR/TE
    4. ILB

That's strictly a need basis. Personally, I am tired of needs. Our need is to get the best player possible, within reason (Let's not draft another corner or guard.)