Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 215

Thread: You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap MEGATHREADS! (QB 29)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap MEGATHREADS! (QB 29)

    So I've had a few beers and thus feeling ranty. I think it's a bummer Manziel didn't start, yeah we know the Oakland game was a bummer after the high of beating Tennessee like we did. However, I think it's 'according to plan'. My favourite Joker Quote from Dark Knight is when he's talking to Two Face about 'according to plan'. Manziel getting his one start, and playing as well as he did, well I find it analagous to the Joker telling the world that one little old lady will die. We lost our minds, because we didn't expect it. We were expecting Manziel to play like shit, because that's what we saw last year. I'm not trying to feed the Pettine theorists or anything like that, as it is every bit as much Pettine's plan that he grooms a QBOTF and that's why I don't get why people are so desperate to use him as a, dare I say, SCAPEGOAT, for Manziel's "stifling" (as when was he ever named starter for say the remainder of the season? Pettine is not Mangini flip-flopping on this).

    We all know how I feel about McCown. His accuracy is unreliable, he sits in the pocket, he might 'know' the offense but I don't think I need to really make an argument against him at this point. We've all seen it. He has a nice arm, sure, he can make the throws. By gawd, he's the best QB that Bowesome has ever seen!

    The Chargers have allowed the 3rd fewest yards but they're ranked 12th for TD's. So their pass D is pretty good overall (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense have a look for yourself) do I have confidence that Manziel could out play McCown? It's just hard to say at this point. I trust he's going to keep working. It's all he can really do. McCown has the coaches confidence, but as long as we keep losing I would anticipate that confidence to dwindle.

    I don't really have a prime point to all this, but Manziel's time WILL come THIS season, that's my gut feeling. By the end of the year, he will have asserted himself as the starting QB of the Cleveland Browns.
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    "Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!


  2. #2
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It'll come, unless McCown pulls a rabbit out of his ass and takes us to the playoffs. Based on what I've seen, both from him and the team, that isn't happening.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    These discussions are getting about as interesting as a bunch of school boys arguing over who's dad can beat up who, and just as childish.
    _____________________________________
    "Just take me to the Happy Dog and shut up."




    "Typical "smartest man in the room" syndrome." - Pot, meet kettle.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I didn't think my point was childish but regardless, like a play yard we have to replace the sand in the jungle gym with rubber because kids could hurt themselves... that is why we have megathreads. So the kids can play without hurting themselves... (In other threads)...

    The metaphor sounded better before I went with it :P
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    "Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    L to the A
    Posts
    17,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bud Shaw said this is a big Sunday for McCown and Bowe to prove they should keep playing. They can talk all they want about McCown being "their guy," but nobody thinks a guy like him is EVER safe, especially with a 22-year-old first round pick champing at the bit and looking like he "gets it."

    If he doesn't play well in the first half, I think we'll see Manziel. Then again, I thought that's what would happen last week!

    It's inevitable. If you're not a playoff contender, there's no real point to playing a 36-year-old journeyman. Let's just agree on that much.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't think my point was childish but regardless, like a play yard we have to replace the sand in the jungle gym with rubber because kids could hurt themselves... that is why we have megathreads. So the kids can play without hurting themselves... (In other threads)...

    The metaphor sounded better before I went with it :P
    Haha, sorry EE, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to new threads made to rehash agendas, when the conversation pretty much centers around what this thread is here for.

    Shouldn't really be a need for many of the other threads, imo.
    _____________________________________
    "Just take me to the Happy Dog and shut up."




    "Typical "smartest man in the room" syndrome." - Pot, meet kettle.

  7. #7
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Megathreads have been a drag. Downside to having a team that can't find a QB. For every megathread we have, I'm going to donate some coin to a charity. Probably a cancer charity for Inspecta.

    On to Shep's point of needing to make the change, I think this is a make or break game for McCown. I doubt they'd change mid game, but they did against Buffalo last season, so who knows. We need to win, that much is true. I believe the coaches when they say McCown is on a shortt leash - 1. He isn't playing poorly, there is just a lot of pro-Manziel fans pretending he's the problem. 2. Nobody likes a QB carousel, and the team seems determined to let things play out before making a move they consider permanent - which I respect.

    With that said, they need to find out what Johnny's got, and they aren't going to wait around. McCown's ceiling is playing good fooball, but that isn't enough.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bud Shaw said this is a big Sunday for McCown and Bowe to prove they should keep playing. They can talk all they want about McCown being "their guy," but nobody thinks a guy like him is EVER safe, especially with a 22-year-old first round pick champing at the bit and looking like he "gets it."

    If he doesn't play well in the first half, I think we'll see Manziel. Then again, I thought that's what would happen last week!

    It's inevitable. If you're not a playoff contender, there's no real point to playing a 36-year-old journeyman. Let's just agree on that much.
    Amazing we agree Shep, though I think short of injury- McCown will get the entire game to prove he sucks. I've hated that signing from day one.
    Bowe will have to prove he can do something more than rub $100 dollar bills on his hamstring to make it feel better.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bud Shaw said this is a big Sunday for McCown and Bowe to prove they should keep playing. They can talk all they want about McCown being "their guy," but nobody thinks a guy like him is EVER safe, especially with a 22-year-old first round pick champing at the bit and looking like he "gets it."

    If he doesn't play well in the first half, I think we'll see Manziel. Then again, I thought that's what would happen last week!

    It's inevitable. If you're not a playoff contender, there's no real point to playing a 36-year-old journeyman. Let's just agree on that much.
    That may be what you and Bud Shaw think, but Pettine is the one who makes the decision on who plays when. Just for the record, I have more confidence in you and Bud Shaw making an appropriate decision than Pettine.
    Last edited by Brownsfan; 10-04-2015 at 02:30 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Tijeras, NM
    Posts
    2,962
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I believe if the Browns don't pull this game out, and McCown plays poorly, JF gets the keys for the remainder of the season.
    Worst to First Baby

    "Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

    "there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That may be what you and Bud Shaw think, but Pettine is the one who makes the decision on who plays when. Just for the record, I have more confidence in you and Bud Shaw making an appropriate decision than Pettine.
    It'll be real tough for McCown if they can't get the run game going today.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Agree.... SD's got 2 pretty good corners. Here comes some more picks thrown.

    Our best shot would be to get 3-4 WRs out there and try to find Benjamin/Gabriel deep.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That may be what you and Bud Shaw think, but Pettine is the one who makes the decision on who plays when. Just for the record, I have more confidence in you and Bud Shaw making an appropriate decision than Pettine.
    Starting QB is 1-12 in his last 13 starts (and I omitted the Jets game).

    Head coach is 2-10 in last 10 games.

    Sometimes I wonder what people here are looking at when they cheer lead McCown and defend Pettine.

    I hope today's does become a referendum in McCown and he plays well. Starting 1-3 would pretty much mean we are playing for next year no matter who the QB is. Everything is telling me that the Browns lose today but I have overridden my mind and still predict a 20-16 win today.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brutalfacts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Starting QB is 1-12 in his last 13 starts (and I omitted the Jets game).

    Head coach is 2-10 in last 10 games.

    Sometimes I wonder what people here are looking at when they cheer lead McCown and defend Pettine.


    I hope today's does become a referendum in McCown and he plays well. Starting 1-3 would pretty much mean we are playing for next year no matter who the QB is. Everything is telling me that the Browns lose today but I have overridden my mind and still predict a 20-16 win today.
    Typically they are supporting the team they love, and it's Coach/QB.

    W/L is the bottom line but often we look to other factors that may alleviate frustrations... IMO Pettine has been trending downward with his recent decisions.
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    "Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Typically they are supporting the team they love, and it's Coach/QB.

    W/L is the bottom line but often we look to other factors that may alleviate frustrations... IMO Pettine has been trending downward with his recent decisions.
    Fair enough though you can still be a fan and not suspend reality.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brutalfacts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough though you can still be a fan and not suspend reality.
    No, and I agree. I tend to keep it real but sometimes the reality of a Browns fan is worth suspending the disbelief a bit
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    "Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not only do we lose, the QB looks good doing it. Perfect way for us to lose as far as us making zero progress. We do not get to see if we have the QB of the future because hey, the QB played good, it was others that lost it for us. I swear sometimes I do not understand why I torture myself rooting for this team. We should have top 5 defense. Instead we are a joke. We should have a top 5 line, instead they are a joke. This team is a joke on every level. To not go to over time because of an off sides is a perfect way to lose this game. We sure are great at losing the best (worst) way possible.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, and I agree. I tend to keep it real but sometimes the reality of a Browns fan is worth suspending the disbelief a bit
    Nice to see one 2015 draft pick -- Duke Johnson -- play well today! Disappointed in the rest of the bunch.

  19. #19
    OconRecon's Avatar
    OconRecon is online now #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszler I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chief BlueJacket's town
    Posts
    10,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Great QB's (and I don't even consider Rivers "elite") can overcome their team's deficiencies and find a way to win.

    That's what Rivers did today.

    His D gave up 27 to the lowly and totally disrespected Browns.
    His top WR's were not available.
    His O line was decimated.

    Yet he still found a way to win.

    This is something McCown has never been known for.

    Yes, today's game was on the D.

    But no matter how good McCown looks in a loss, it doesn't get me excited.

    He is who we thought he was.

    Even when I wanted Manziel over Hoyer, there was still a part of me pulling for Hoyer to be a late bloomer and take us somewhere. I just don't get that feeling with McCown. At all.

    ---

    Weirder yet, I find myself pulling for Weeden tonight was a Cowboy.

    Man, this Browns fandom. It's an illness. An un-explainable illness.
    Last edited by OconRecon; 10-04-2015 at 09:32 PM.
    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)
    OTA's: 5/23-25, 5/30-31, 6/1, 6/5-8, Veteran MiniCamp: 6/13-15

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    1,201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I've had a few beers and thus feeling ranty.
    Me, too ... and if I were here, I'd kill the English with Megathreads through my eyes, and bolts of Megathreads through me arse...

    -Al
    Last edited by Geech; 10-04-2015 at 10:23 PM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    1,201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bud Shaw said this is a big Sunday for McCown and Bowe to prove they should keep playing. They can talk all they want about McCown being "their guy," but nobody thinks a guy like him is EVER safe, especially with a 22-year-old first round pick champing at the bit and looking like he "gets it."

    If he doesn't play well in the first half, I think we'll see Manziel. Then again, I thought that's what would happen last week!

    It's inevitable. If you're not a playoff contender, there's no real point to playing a 36-year-old journeyman. Let's just agree on that much.
    I, most certainly, agree! The Browns, absolutely 100%, SHOULD BE 4-0!!! If you 'aint 4-0 with this shitty ass beginning to the schedule, you 'aint making it to the playoffs, 'cause the schedule ain't gettin' any better! You 'aint makin' shit, 'cause you 'aint shit!

    https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...fp&fr2=piv-web

    -Al
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    L to the A
    Posts
    17,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In an odd way, it did become worst case scenario: Josh played very well. No doubt about it. But we lost and we're 1-3 and have a 14% of making the playoffs... add in that we haven't seen the toughest part of our schedule (especially with the Chargers so depleted) and I'd put that at more like 3%.

    At what point do you say it's time to commit to Manziel as the starter and see if he can grow into the role and answer all the questions about "Next Year" for once? We really can't know much of ANYTHING about him until he starts a run of games with almost no chance of getting pulled. Losing with 36-year-old McCown playing well enough to hold the job adds up to a net zero: We aren't winning now and we aren't figuring out anything about the long-term stability of the most important position in team sports.

    It's really tough to pull him right now. I get that. He played extremely well. But at 1-4? Yeah, I'd say we need to shift the plan to developing Manziel with an eye to next year. Our offense is functioning at a pretty high level. We pass protect well. We ran the ball well today (100 yards, 4.9 a carry) and saw that Duke Johnson can be a serious factor in the passing game. Benjamin is expanding his repertoire. Hartline had over 100 the week before. Barnidge has been good all year. We need to get Hawkins and Gabriel involved.

    It's a pretty good situation for a young QB. But my great fear is that Pettine, even at 1-4 or 1-5, keeps saying that Josh "isn't the problem."

    Which also isn't the point.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I will be honest here..

    As long as Pettine is the HC, this team isn't going to WIN over a long period of time. Period.

    As long as Pettine is the HC, Manziel's development, career is down the drain. Did anyone notice him on the sideline today? I didn't. I am sure he can't wait until he gets traded or his contract is up. Heck, any team is better than us Browns.

    As long as Pettine is the HC, we will always have veteran QB's playing for this team who are at the end of their career.

    As long as Pettine is the HC, we won't improve on the defense at all...but will only get worse.

    As long as Pettine is the HC, we will only try to win w/ our defense (conservative play calling say, "HELLO")

    As long as Pettine is the HC, he won't light any fire in this team.

    As long as Pettine is the HC, the Browns aren't going anywhere.

    So be happy w/ the 3-4 wins every season.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    L to the A
    Posts
    17,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh, I forgot: Pettine has dug in by saying he doesn't want to talk about "finding out about Manziel."

    When you aren't in a playoff chase, which we're approaching quickly, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •