Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 48 of 217

Thread: It all starts at the top.

  1. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by damajuki View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't understand the Pettine hate today. Given all that has happened with this franchise since Pett was hired, how can it POSSIBLY be his fault that these players can't make plays to finish games?

    Seriously, consider the Manziel mania (not his fault), the trade down (no idea if he approved of that but doubt he would NOT have wanted K. Mack) before drafting Gilbert (yes, he probably had a vote but his job is not to know whether Gilbert was a head case or not), then they have a GREAT start last year which is derailed by Mack's loss plus Manziel mania.

    This year, they lose Josh on the FIRST SERIES OF THE YEAR but rebound to play well enough with Manziel to win -- at home against a rookie QB -- before having two AWFUL defensive weeks in a row to lose two close games.

    And, frankly, those two losses, while painful and terrible to absorb, were at least PROFESSIONAL LOSSES. And yes, such a thing exists. These weren't Shurmer-esque or Mangini-esque losses where it wasn't clear that the Browns even knew they were ALLOWED to score points.

    These were NFL losses: both games came down to the final play.

    And, though Pett doesn't want to allow excuses, we should: missing four starters on D and being forced to play your special teams ace at CB and your backup safety for most of the game?

    Rather than roasting this guy, maybe we should be praising this staff for having those guys even capable of playing at a decent level.

    I'm not willing to hang a second-year coach with a first-year OC and a second-year DC given the talent level on this team. They need all hands on deck to have a shot and they are FAR below that right now.
    2-11. Yep 2-11 will raise a few eyeballs.

    Total defensive meltdown by a team coached by supposed defensive guru. Almost 1000 yards surrendered in two weeks.

    12 penalties this week, 10 last week. Sloppy teams are a reflection of the Head Coach.

    Injuries?? Chargers has a an OL that only recently met and 2 healthy receivers and STILL torched the defensive guru's defense.

    Did I mention 2-11 in his last 13 games.

    Reality is not hate. Mike Pettine has to fix HIS highly paid and poorly performing defense. That is job one, if he not successful then he must go ASAP. If he cannot manage his area of specialty there is no reason to think he can properly manage any other aspect of the team.

    He has the time. He has no excuses.
    Last edited by brutalfacts; 10-05-2015 at 03:05 PM.

  2. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A world of shit
    Posts
    4,620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think Ray lights a fire under the players asses. It's gotta come from the coaches. If Ray can do it then he should be the HC, by god.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

    It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

  3. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A world of shit
    Posts
    4,620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ...actually the players should motivate themselves, but under these circumstances the coaches would be better. That said I didn't see them hang their heads Sunday like they did against Oakland.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

    It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

  4. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To all you doubters...nobody said it was going to be painless getting the #1 pick in the draft...

    I say that tonge in cheek because somehow I feel we could screw that up


    The glass half full attitude has taken shot to its hull...





    Browns are such a shit show they can't even lose right and secure the first pick

  5. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A world of shit
    Posts
    4,620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If the defense gets their shit together and our offense continues to score 24-27 points we'll win some games.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

    It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

  6. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the defense gets their shit together and our offense continues to score 24-27 points we'll win some games.
    Watch this Sunday ... Defense will play well and the offense will stink. That's the Browns football we know and hate these past 15 years.

  7. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Ray lights a fire under the players asses. It's gotta come from the coaches. If Ray can do it then he should be the HC, by god.
    Ray Farmer is a complete and total idiot who should never have been hired.

  8. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    False.

    I think everyone else may be idiots.


    Ray Farmer will light a fire under the coaching staff... not thhe players.. THE STAFF.

    He will put some sense of urgency in there

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  9. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ray Farmer is obviously the smartest man in football.

  10. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    8,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know man. There's just no way in my mind to isolate our problems on just one leg of the proverbial three legged stool.

    Coaching, roster, and execution by the players are all squarely under scrutiny right now. Ray's in charge of the roster so he's in the soup too. He'd have to have a pair of brass ones to go storming into his coaches office at this stage. How would he respond to, "You gave me Gilbert? GILBERT? You're really going to break my balls?".

  11. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ray didnt GIVE them Gilbert.. Pettine ASKED for Gilbert

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  12. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    8,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ray didnt GIVE them Gilbert.. Pettine ASKED for Gilbert
    Says who? All I've heard on that front is rumors from "pay sites" and other conspicuous sources.

    I'll rephrase: Who's got bottom line responsibility for the roster PGL?

  13. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Says who? All I've heard on that front is rumors from "pay sites" and other conspicuous sources.

    I'll rephrase: Who's got bottom line responsibility for the roster PGL?
    I also am under the impression that pettine wanted Gilbert because of the importance of the DB in his defensive scheme.

    I've often pointed out that the weird thing about Pettine is that while he overindulges in DBs who cover receivers his attitude is the exact opposite about his receivers who face the other team's DBs.

  14. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A world of shit
    Posts
    4,620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I thought Pettine wanted Gilbert too, but was that after the trade down? We'll never know for sure I guess, but Farmer does have roster responsibility when Pettine and the coaches, Farmer and the scouts can't agree on a player. Farmer gets final say.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

    It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

  15. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Says who? All I've heard on that front is rumors from "pay sites" and other conspicuous sources.

    I'll rephrase: Who's got bottom line responsibility for the roster PGL?
    Farmer has responsibility for everyone we have drafted starting with Joel Bitonio and on. So Farme rhad rounds 2nd-UDFA last year.. and all rounds this year. THis has been touted as not a "guess" or "rumor" bus as a fact

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  16. #40
    nickers's Avatar
    nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Da City!
    Posts
    6,101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is just my opinion..

    But I think Ray Farmer is about to light a fire under everyones asses.

    Ray Ray if you all dont remember doesnt take BS..




    I think he's gonna layeth the smacketh down on some candy asses. I'd be afraid to be Mike Pettine and Jim O'Neil in Berea right now.

    Ray gave Pettine the defense he wanted.. LA said Pettine "definitely had a hand in picking the groceries"

    If this team comes out with a new fire this week, we will know why
    Ray, Ray is a ding dong.. Please bitch!
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP



    Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

  17. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A world of shit
    Posts
    4,620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've not heard that until now. Who's touting this as I don't have a pay site?
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

    It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

  18. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    False.

    I think everyone else may be idiots.


    Ray Farmer will light a fire under the coaching staff... not thhe players.. THE STAFF.

    He will put some sense of urgency in there
    LOL! Yes, on his first day back from his four week suspension for being an idiot. Farmer has as much credibility on NFL football as an amoeba sitting in the muck in Lake Erie!

  19. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    LA has for about a year and a half now. It was also everywhere after the draft as "just rumours" ...

    Remember Ray and Haslam even said "Its absolutely not true..."

    Yeah well it was

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  20. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The trade down move that added another 1st round pick was a great move.

    It's just Gilbert was the wrong pick and the bills played better than expected last year.

  21. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The trade down move that added another 1st round pick was a great move.

    It's just Gilbert was the wrong pick and the bills played better than expected last year.
    No it wasn't. I advocated drafted Khalil Mack with the first pick and we could have had him, a guy who can play the run and rush the passer equally well.
    Last edited by AttackOffense; 10-05-2015 at 08:42 PM.

  22. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ok, but clowney was the #1 overall; I disagree. There is no way of truly knowing who will be a big time impact. Just because you might be right about one guy doesn't mean much in the sense of the value of picks.

    Hell, we almost had Evans. Maybe that was the plan... Hard to imagine (even before hindsight) that Gilbert was a plan in the top 10.

    8+*19>4

    I'd take that every time.


    JJ Watt was what? 10th overall??
    Last edited by BoatShoes; 10-05-2015 at 07:55 PM.

  23. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, but clowney was the #1 overall; I disagree. There is no way of truly knowing who will be a big time impact. Just because you might be right about one guy doesn't mean much in the sense of the value of picks.

    Hell, we almost had Evans. Maybe that was the plan... Hard to imagine (even before hindsight) that Gilbert was a plan in the top 10.

    8+*19>4

    I'd take that every time.


    JJ Watt was what? 10th overall??
    Go back and look. I said Khalil Mack was the #1 player in the 2014 draft and Aaron Donald was #2. I was ridiculed here for saying that.

  24. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    8,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It was the right move, but as you stated BS: Farmer screwed the pooch with who he picked.... at least so far.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •