Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reason for Optimism. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reason for Optimism. . .

I know many of you will not relate to this, or find this strange, but I came out of yesterday's game with a lot of optimism. Yes, the loss when we had several opportunities to put this game away hurts. But when I think about how this is the best defense in the league, and we weren't SUPPOSED to win this game, I didn't come away as disappointed in the team's performance as I did in the Jets, Raiders or Chargers losses.

First off, when playing against the best defense in the league, being able to move the ball and score the way the offense did at many times in this game was really encouraging. It means the stuff we've seen over the past few weeks against lesser defenses isn't just a fluke. Yes, there were mistakes made. Some bad passes, some bad decisions. But to defend those, the downfield coverage was excellent. And the pass rush was strong and consistent. The first INT was a poor decision by McCown / or great defense by Denver. The second INT was McCown trying to throw the ball away and getting hit at the same time. It sucked, but that's what happens when the pressure is too much. But we negated those INTs with three of our own, one also being a pick-6 so those plays didn't necessarily lose us the game.

In the past, against a D like this, the Browns would have put up like 6 points on 100 yds of total offense. I know you remember those years.

I felt the Defense did some really nice things. Yes, their offense isn't as good as it should be, but it is still Peyton Manning. . . and ultimately he did outlast the Browns. The big issue still is that run defense, making it clear that the number one priority in the offseason has to be run-stopping DEs and LBs.

A few other points:

• I think Turbin looked great, and is a great complementary back. Liked his strength and power. But bobbling the pitch in OT and taking a loss was a big factor in the outcome of the game.
    • I saw some fire and excitement out of Pettine on the sideline, I loved seeing that. We've seen so many stoic, numb coaches on the sideline here, Pettine is a breath of fresh air at times.
    • The decision to go for 2 points made perfect sense to me at the time. Up 4 vs up 5 vs up 6. . . 4 and 5 are about the same, I'd prefer to be up 6 and require a TD to win the game, especially with the long extra points.
    • I too felt that there were a lot of Denver DBs hitting receivers early. . . the incomplete to Hartline the play before the INT, that defender grabbed Hartline's facemask when he turned around. . . no call. BS. Hartline was justifiably upset.
    • Travis Benjamin is legit.

But, still, some nice things to grow on. Sucks it was a loss when we had several opportunities to win, but I don't feel very gloomy about the rest of the season right now. It's nice to be in exciting games.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

Once again the Browns offense put up more yards than the opposition defense averages giving up.

Yes, McCown had 2 INT's, but that was to a D that had already had 7 INT's in it's first 5 games...not the first 2 of the season like we used to do.

Third down efficiency by Denver: 22% - that is a great number by the D
    Third down efficiency by Cleveland: 40% - that is a great number by the O
    RZ Efficiency - Cleveland 66%; Denver 0%

Defense gave up only 1 TD - and that on a PERFECT pass (and a bad angle by the S).

Benjamin - Man, this guy can ball. I can't see how anyone can 'qualify' his success anymore. He is a legit deep threat, and great WR.
    Barnidge - Talk about a RZ threat.

Finally got the penalties under control: 6-30

Yes, there is MUCH to be excited about.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Agreed

We see some positive things happening except the wins.

Like if we had a top ten QB we win that game reasonably easy.

If our run defense comes together we'll have a much easier time winning from here on out.

Now we still need that player on defense that teams fear. Like a ray lewis, JJ Watt or Kuechley. This defense is exponentially better when we get that type of guy.

I won't get into the problems we have as this is supposed to be a +thread, but continuity seems better served as we speak here and now. Slightly better. Not a no doubt about it slam dunk, but a little better.
    :
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

What is amazing to me is that we're 2 or 3 plays per game away from being 5-1.

- Oakland was only decided by a TD. Shore up some of those big offensive gainers by Oak and not fumble a punt at the end, and this game ends a different way.

- San Diego, same idea. . . A few defensive holds and this game is going the other way.

- Denver, one more big play on offense, or the same small improvements on defense, and this is a W, too.

The last 4 games were decided by 7,3,3,3 points. This TEAM isn't nearly as bad as some want to make it out to be. Add one more playmaking WR, improve the pass-rush and run defense. . . even just a LITTLE, and we could be 5-1 right now.

Address those issues and now you've got a good solid team to help develop a future QB.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the rub though, right? Add another playmaker on both sides of the ball to most NFL teams and they'd be better. Good news is that it does feel like we are closer now than we've been. Give me one of Denver's OLB's and a healthy, "right" Josh Gordon. Man. How'd that be?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's the rub though, right? Add another playmaker on both sides of the ball to most NFL teams and they'd be better. Good news is that it does feel like we are closer now than we've been. Give me one of Denver's OLB's and a healthy, "right" Josh Gordon. Man. How'd that be?
    Exactly. . . that would be great! I'm just thinking back to other years where we might be sitting at this point with a losing record thinking. . . man, there are a TON of holes to fill on this team to be competitive. Well we're now competitive, and there are a few holes to fill to be winning!

Yes, I know a long-term QB is necessary due to the age of McCown, but this is turning into a very good situation to teach a young QB.

Let's just keep watching and hoping for more improvements. More growth from all of the young players on both sides of the ball. I still think we can achieve maybe 6-10 or 7-9, and if we continue to see competitiveness and improvement, then I'll be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Love me some Chris Landry

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2015/1...-not-starting/

Landry has some interesting JFF stuff and the Browns in general.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

Post Thanks / Like

When I look at this team compared to previous seasons, it seems like effort is never a question, and with the exception of the one week, they're not hanging their heads.

It's consistency and discipline. We have not seen the team keep a consistent level of play from week-to-week. We often seem to have penalties every game that shoot us in the foot.
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Penalties are way up for all the teams though. I don't think that is specific to the Browns as it is to the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    When I look at this team compared to previous seasons, it seems like effort is never a question, and with the exception of the one week, they're not hanging their heads.

It's consistency and discipline. We have not seen the team keep a consistent level of play from week-to-week. We often seem to have penalties every game that shoot us in the foot.
    I agree. There is effort. There is talent. What seems to be lacking is consistent play. It seems one person has a breakdown in nearly every game that costs us big time.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is part of the growing pains we're going through.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe so Jaydog, but if that's the case then why does it seem that a bad penalty seems to always cost us points? Is it just me being fatalistic?

Growing pains are one thing, but a defense in the second year of this system should not be exhibiting so much struggle as it has, I get we struggle vs outside runs and we have next to no pass rush but I still think the D is vastly under performing compared to last season. Could chalk it up to losing young players and replacing them with aging veterans...
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

but a defense in the second year of this system should not be exhibiting so much struggle as it has
    I agree...but would like to point out that a ton of this defense is NOT in it's second year.
    Starks
    Shelton
    Cooper
    Orchard
    A.Bryant is in a new position
    T.Williams

that is a lot of new faces in the defense...where the offense has been pretty stable player wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but that's what... two starters? The rest are rotational/bench guys. The core of the D is in its second year with this system that's my point.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you're saying about penalties, and it's true the league has seen more this year vs. prior years. . . so yes, it felt that way for several games. I didn't feel that in the Denver game, though. . . didn't feel like Penalties played a big outcome in the game. . . maybe a lack of penalties. . . (Defensive PI on Denver).

I also agree that our Defense has actually seen a lot of turnover with players due to injury and such. No Haden, Gipson, Solomon. . . and who was it, Kirksey who was also out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fooleeze View Post
    Kirksey who was also out?
    Robertson

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it's a combination of all these things mentioned...hell I forgot about two all stars being out injured. Both Haden and Gipson are very good in run support and PBU's.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on guys... while it seems better - this is exactly where we were last year before the wheels completely fall off. At some point giving up 150yd/game and 300 by air every week = losing. The super glue and duct tape gradually fall apart when you are piece mealing a team without playmakers
    I am proud of you, Hitler, you're taking steps forward. - Brownsdownunder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PhilKosar View Post
    Come on guys... while it seems better - this is exactly where we were last year before the wheels completely fall off. At some point giving up 150yd/game and 300 by air every week = losing. The super glue and duct tape gradually fall apart when you are piece mealing a team without playmakers
    And the cause is no middle round players to fill in until a higher drafted player can ascend to these positions. We gotta use UDFA's and FA's. The super glue and duct tape if you will.

Post Thanks / Like

Injuries will damn most teams, especially those without a QB that can carry the team.

"Typical "smartest man in the room" syndrome." - Pot, meet kettle.

Post Thanks / Like

The Rams game is a must win at this point IMO. I also think Bowe needs to be on the field against the Cardinals, to maybe garner attention from Peterson, even if they don't throw his way.

Post Thanks / Like

The way Bowe is playing he's not garnering attention from anyone lol

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

The way Bowe is playing he's not garnering attention from anyone lol
    Inorite? Can't he get on the field and just be a decoy at the very least?

Post Thanks / Like

He's clearly in Pettines doghouse. How many times has he been a healthy scratch? Is he hurt?

WOOF WOOF WOOF!