Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reason for Optimism. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fooleeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know many of you will not relate to this, or find this strange, but I came out of yesterday's game with a lot of optimism. Yes, the loss when we had several opportunities to put this game away hurts. But when I think about how this is the best defense in the league, and we weren't SUPPOSED to win this game, I didn't come away as disappointed in the team's performance as I did in the Jets, Raiders or Chargers losses.

First off, when playing against the best defense in the league, being able to move the ball and score the way the offense did at many times in this game was really encouraging. It means the stuff we've seen over the past few weeks against lesser defenses isn't just a fluke. Yes, there were mistakes made. Some bad passes, some bad decisions. But to defend those, the downfield coverage was excellent. And the pass rush was strong and consistent. The first INT was a poor decision by McCown / or great defense by Denver. The second INT was McCown trying to throw the ball away and getting hit at the same time. It sucked, but that's what happens when the pressure is too much. But we negated those INTs with three of our own, one also being a pick-6 so those plays didn't necessarily lose us the game.

In the past, against a D like this, the Browns would have put up like 6 points on 100 yds of total offense. I know you remember those years.

I felt the Defense did some really nice things. Yes, their offense isn't as good as it should be, but it is still Peyton Manning. . . and ultimately he did outlast the Browns. The big issue still is that run defense, making it clear that the number one priority in the offseason has to be run-stopping DEs and LBs.

A few other points:

• I think Turbin looked great, and is a great complementary back. Liked his strength and power. But bobbling the pitch in OT and taking a loss was a big factor in the outcome of the game.
    • I saw some fire and excitement out of Pettine on the sideline, I loved seeing that. We've seen so many stoic, numb coaches on the sideline here, Pettine is a breath of fresh air at times.
    • The decision to go for 2 points made perfect sense to me at the time. Up 4 vs up 5 vs up 6. . . 4 and 5 are about the same, I'd prefer to be up 6 and require a TD to win the game, especially with the long extra points.
    • I too felt that there were a lot of Denver DBs hitting receivers early. . . the incomplete to Hartline the play before the INT, that defender grabbed Hartline's facemask when he turned around. . . no call. BS. Hartline was justifiably upset.
    • Travis Benjamin is legit.

But, still, some nice things to grow on. Sucks it was a loss when we had several opportunities to win, but I don't feel very gloomy about the rest of the season right now. It's nice to be in exciting games.
    I agree that as disappointing at the loss was, there is reason for optimism following the game. One major disagreement is going for 2 - there was no reason to go for 2 at that point...none whatsoever. The score didn't dictate it; the point in the game didn't dictate it; and I highly doubt the 'sheet' dictated it. That was one of the dumbest decisions I've seen in football in quite some time. But I digress...

Outside of opening day vs the Jets, the Browns have been in every football game - losses by 7, 3 & 3. Last year's team lost games by 20, 21, 30, etc... This is a step in the right direction and part of a culture change. Teams don't just go from losing big to winning - that's not how a culture change works. Losing close games is the next step - followed by learning how to win these close games. Teams must learn how to win...and typically need to take their lumps first. Fans hate it; and don't understand it; and typically call for regime change. That is literally the worst thing Cleveland can do at this point. Do you really want to go back to square one? Another regime will do the same thing - they will have to change the culture and learn to win as well...only they will clear the roster and start over first. That means going back to losing big and being the doormat.

There are holes to fill and plenty of improvement to be made. The defense is a mess (I believe issue is more scheme than talent); the franchise QB is not on the roster; we need play makers; OL needs help. But in all seriousness, the team is trending in the right direction. I just hope that Haslman is not dumb enough to listen to the fans bitching and complaining and wanting the staff and FO out and to start over. Listening to the fans is literally the dumbest thing any owner can do - 99% are clueless and couldn't tell you the field from the boundary.

It's not all doom and gloom fellas - it's a process that is unfolding and happening before our eyes...and yes it takes time and requires that nasty, ugly word...patience. These are the growing pains we must go through to get to where we want to be.
    Last edited by The_QCT; 10-21-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Preach it QCT!
    In the words of Tony Rizzo... "FIND ME A FREAKING QUARTERBACK!"

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_QCT View Post
    I agree that as disappointing at the loss was, there is reason for optimism following the game. One major disagreement is going for 2 - there was no reason to go for 2 at that point...none whatsoever. The score didn't dictate it; the point in the game didn't dictate it; and I highly doubt the 'sheet' dictated it. That was one of the dumbest decisions I've seen in football in quite some time. But I digress...
    I've seen this said a lot, but I don't mind the call. If we made the two point, we'd have been up 16-22. If we missed, 16-20. Either way, a field goal wasn't enough but a touchdown was. Pettine banked on a defense that had held strong all day, and I don't think he expected Williams to give up a 75 yard touchdown bomb the following play. Even then, we still had three opportunities, one that was golden, to put up points and win the game. One punt from the 32, one field goal and one interception on the 50 yard line (That's not to shit on Josh, it was more unfortunate than a bad play.)

If we made it, missed it or took the single, there were still multiple possessions left to influence the scoreboard against an offense that had struggled with their passing all game. On top of that, we still had a golden opportunity to win in overtime, and it went south so fucking fast my head is still spinning.

I don't grudge coaches for trying to be aggressive and put up extra points, especially when the team goes and blows a handful of chances following that decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me give you an example of a culture change I personally witnessed from the inside - which the team had to learn to win.

Six of Dabo's first 13 games at Clemson were decided by 6 pts or less. Tigers lost 5 of them. 11-1 in last 12 decided by 7 pts or less.

The culture has changed completely and the Tigers know how to win and close out games. The Browns will learn to do the same in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    I've seen this said a lot, but I don't mind the call. If we made the two point, we'd have been up 16-22. If we missed, 16-20. Either way, a field goal wasn't enough but a touchdown was. Pettine banked on a defense that had held strong all day, and I don't think he expected Williams to give up a 75 yard touchdown bomb the following play. Even then, we still had three opportunities, one that was golden, to put up points and win the game. One punt from the 32, one field goal and one interception on the 50 yard line (That's not to shit on Josh, it was more unfortunate than a bad play.)

If we made it, missed it or took the single, there were still multiple possessions left to influence the scoreboard against an offense that had struggled with their passing all game. On top of that, we still had a golden opportunity to win in overtime, and it went south so fucking fast my head is still spinning.

I don't grudge coaches for trying to be aggressive and put up extra points, especially when the team goes and blows a handful of chances following that decision.

I'm still in the camp that the 2 point conversion was a fine decision at the time. It was with 8:07 left in the fourth quarter. To Pettine's point, they hadn't allowed an offensive TD up until that point. Defensively, it felt like they had the game pretty well under control. Go for 2 and force 2 FGs to tie. If they get the 2, now a TD would be needed to win, and with the longer extra point, you never know.

That strategy was blown out of the water with the bomb TD on the next possession, but it still made sense to me at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

My resolve is stronger than a bunch of turnovers and penalties!!!!

I hope.

This is, by the way, the same thing that doomed us in the Jets game. These two games were very similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_QCT View Post
    Let me give you an example of a culture change I personally witnessed from the inside - which the team had to learn to win.

Six of Dabo's first 13 games at Clemson were decided by 6 pts or less. Tigers lost 5 of them. 11-1 in last 12 decided by 7 pts or less.

The culture has changed completely and the Tigers know how to win and close out games. The Browns will learn to do the same in time.
    Good example. Clemson looks better than any SEC team, in my view.