Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benjamin a Browns for life???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Benjamin a Browns for life???

http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.c...ave-cleveland/

Benji is talking like there are contract talks in the works...and expects something to get done sooner than later. That is good news when this guy is in the midst of a breakout year...and a possible Pro-Bowl appearance....and yes, all that with Josh McCown (a career backup) as his QB.

In fact, Benjamin said it is possible that he will sign a new contract with Cleveland in the near future.

Travis Benjamin

“It’s only Week 7, so we’re kind of in the middle of things, but hopefully in a couple of weeks, something gets brought up,” Benjamin said Wednesday.

“I love them and they love me. Me and the Browns have a great relationship. I love it here, my wife loves it here. I love the people and being part of the community. This is where we want to be.”
    I also love the work and dedication this guy demonstrates....

“Each and every year, I get better because I want to be the best,” the 5-foot-10 speedster said. “One offseason, I worked on improving my catching. The next year, I worked on my route-running. With the mindset and the work ethic that I have, I believe I’m going to keep improving.”
    ...and his pride

Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib learned that lesson Sunday, when he intercepted Josh McCown and ran it back 63 yards for a touchdown in Denver’s 26-23 overtime win.

Benjamin nearly caught up to Talib while he was showboating on his way to the end zone, forcing him to sprint to complete the pick-six.

“If you catch an interception on me, there won’t be no freestyling,” he said. “I would’ve got him if I had 10-15 more yards.”

Benjamin got the better of Talib for most of the afternoon, setting career highs with nine catches and 117 yards. He also added to his highlight reel with a leaping catch on a jump ball, which has become his trademark, despite his slight stature.

I’m always gonna get it,” he said confidently. “As a receiver, if the ball comes around eye level, it’s bad for me. I want it high because I always try to go up and get it each and every time.”
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

nickers is online now Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this kid... And AO should kiss My ass,, this kid has done nothing but has been a great soldier for this team..
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

He sure is fun to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Benjamin showed a lot of playmaking skill out of NCAA, that's why I was excited to draft him. Even though he's small, he's so damn fast AND quick, he has the ability to make people miss. He's really excelled, or ... hit his stride, as a WR this year. He's a hell of a lot of fun to watch. I think he's earned it. Showing more promise than Hawkins, who everyone seemed to expect to be the one to thrive this year.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Love kids like him. It's clear as day that he wants to be a Brown and it's not about the money. When contract time comes, don't be shocked to find out he turned down a bigger deal elsewhere to stay in Cleveland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Love kids like him. It's clear as day that he wants to be a Brown and it's not about the money. When contract time comes, don't be shocked to find out he turned down a bigger deal elsewhere to stay in Cleveland.
    Yes, comparisons to Steve Smith and D Jackson are certainly relevant right now. I hope that he can eventually bulk up like Steve Smith as he develops, He needs to work on becoming more durable with the rest of the work he is putting in.

"Typical "smartest man in the room" syndrome." - Pot, meet kettle.

Post Thanks / Like

Travis Benjamin had a tough time coming off the knee injury last year. He's proving to be more than just a punt returner this year. I Love A Come-back story. He appears to be a great kid on and off the field. I would love for him to be a Brown for life. Sign the Man!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmBrown View Post
    Yes, comparisons to Steve Smith and D Jackson are certainly relevant right now. I hope that he can eventually bulk up like Steve Smith as he develops, He needs to work on becoming more durable with the rest of the work he is putting in.
    I don't see him bulking up like Smith. He's still not that physical. That, however, is a good thing. He's still just using his speed to get around guys, but the precision of his routes has dramatically improved, so he's put a chain on the beast and refined it.

I agree that his durability is a concern, but he's doing a remarkable job of managing it. He looks to get out of bounds on his returns, he's taking smart angles with the ball in his hands and he's 'easing' into contact if he knows he's going to get hit.

What I'd most like to see him work on is contested catching. His size is a big negative, but he's shown a proclivity for it using his athleticism to get up there, and he's got a nice sneaky wingspan. If he could translate that to red-zone situations, it'd be a big help. Right now, we just won't go there, and it makes life hard given teams aren't as worried about the outside as the inside. With that said, though, he's not that much smaller than the corners that cover him - so winning 50-50 balls would be a massive feather in his cap. I'd put him through a lot of hand fighting and footwork drills, helping him understand his leverage and generally working on coming down with it.

Another thing, and I really feel like I'm being a nitpick here, is he's prone to coming back too shallow when he's sitting in a zone. Working your way back to the football is a good thing, but sometimes he'll come back too far rather than moving up and letting the ball come to him. We saw this on a 3rd and long pass last week, in which he came up a good 10 yards and it put him too far from the down line to make a play that would result in a first down. That's something little though that he'll learn with experience.

With that said, however, that's all minor and ascension. We're not talking about developing him to function anymore, we're talking about his weaknesses being simply focusing on how to make him a more complete player.

The best thing for him right now would be the return of Gordon and a legit tight end. He's currently limited by being our only true playmaker so teams are finding it easier to key in on him. If he goes to being our second best WR (Nothing against Travis, but Gordon is the freak) then he's going to be an absolute fucking nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like

He would be probowler every year with johnny tossing bombs.

Post Thanks / Like

The only bombs I foresee JM tossing him are jagger bombs or Irish car bombs

Post Thanks / Like

Benji has done everything he could to get better and he has. He literally plays like a Brown, practices like a Brown, rehabs like a Brown and in every way works his ass off. He should get paid like a Brown. If they let this guy go I'll have serious doubts this current regime from top to bottom is practicing what they preach.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

and a legit tight end
    Barnidge just might be emerging as "legit" BDU. We'll see where he is by the end of the year, but so far he hasn't been lacking athletically and his ability to focus on the football is already NFL top flight.

Post Thanks / Like

yup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    Barnidge just might be emerging as "legit" BDU. We'll see where he is by the end of the year, but so far he hasn't been lacking athletically and his ability to focus on the football is already NFL top flight.
    I don't disagree, and it's nothing against him, it's just a little too soon. Four years of nothing, follow by this, is a little concerning (in a good way). He's also 30, and off contract, so one wonders what kind of contract he'll be getting if we do give him one.

If he keeps playing like he is, obviously I'd love to see him resigned.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the Rabbit!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree, and it's nothing against him, it's just a little too soon. Four years of nothing, follow by this, is a little concerning (in a good way). He's also 30, and off contract, so one wonders what kind of contract he'll be getting if we do give him one.

If he keeps playing like he is, obviously I'd love to see him resigned.
    This is really the first year he's been getting consistent starting playing time too though. Shep called this when we signed Barnidge, I can give credit where it's due.

The age critique is legitimate, but many TE's play good football well in to their 30's.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This is really the first year he's been getting consistent starting playing time too though. Shep called this when we signed Barnidge, I can give credit where it's due.

The age critique is legitimate, but many TE's play good football well in to their 30's.

Ala Heath Miller
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hes playing like top 10 wr.

But, how do you pay him..... Bc I was up for cutting him before season started. He hasnt done anything before this year. He will be probably 3rd best wr next year.

Gordon and draft pick then benji

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgsDefense View Post

But, how do you pay him..... Bc I was up for cutting him before season started. He hasnt done anything before this year. He will be probably 3rd best wr next year.

It's hard to do much when your hurt, ding - dong.

OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

knowing how were about to trade/cut joe thomas. I say nobodys safe on the browns team for their career as it seems right now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.c...ave-cleveland/

Benji is talking like there are contract talks in the works...and expects something to get done sooner than later. That is good news when this guy is in the midst of a breakout year...and a possible Pro-Bowl appearance....and yes, all that with Josh McCown (a career backup) as his QB.

In fact, Benjamin said it is possible that he will sign a new contract with Cleveland in the near future.

I also love the work and dedication this guy demonstrates....

...and his pride
    Much improved and the Browns only legit receiver. But people are fooling themselves if they think he is a #1 receiver. He's more a #2 or #3 receiver type.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgsDefense View Post

He's gone, what, 6 straight games without a TD?

Post Thanks / Like

so basically a slot receiver?

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to tell. He doesn't fit the prototype of a number one for sure due to his limited size. That said, guys like Desean Jackson were functioning number one's because they had brethren receivers who could also draw attention. He's never going to be an "uncoverable" guy like Gordon was during his big year.

Certainly, he's a piece of the puzzle no matter how we slice it. That's been a silver lining to this season so far along with Barnidge.