Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Day thread vs the Rams!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there is a little difference if Manziel looks good in a loss as we don't know his ceiling.

We know McCown's long track record of either terrible play or damn good play that yields a losing record.

But really, what I like about Manziel's one start this year, is that he didn't put up great numbers, but did do the game sealing drive thing. He put someone away. A "you can't coach that" vintage Manziel bomb.

It's just one game, but that's why I want to see more of the 2015 Manziel. Being 2-5 with a banged up McCown also plays into it.

I totally dig McCown in a bunch of ways, but the stars have aligned for a Manziel start.
    Sunday's game vs. Arizona is a MUST game for the Browns and a big game for Manziel if he starts. The Browns will totally lose the fans if they can't win that game and go to 2-6. Arizona plays tonight and maybe that helps the Browns as the Cardinals will be a little less ready with 6 days instead of 7 to prepare and they have to fly all the way to Cleveland for the game. The Steelers whipped the Cards so maybe there is a glimmer of hope, but the Cardinals have a good defense, especially in the secondary, and that doesn't help McCown and his mostly mediocre receiving corps, running attack and offensive line.

I predicted 3-7 as the Browns hit the break week, and that record may even be a stretch as the Browns face Arizona, Cincy and Pitts. the next three weeks. Pitts. gets Ben R back and the Bengals are looking great.

Will Pettine be fired if the team is 2-8 at the break? I don't see it. Looks like another really bad season. Only good news is they get San Fran and Baltimore in the last six games!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    Granted. And McCown is a great guy and undoubtedly deserves better. But it really doesn't matter if McCown played well in a losing cause. He lost. Now if Manziel was to play well in a losing cause, it is different. That, at least, portends something positive for the future.
    You don't win football games just throwing all dink passes to running backs and wide receivers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    Sunday's game vs. Arizona is a MUST game for the Browns and a big game for Manziel if he starts. The Browns will totally lose the fans if they can't win that game and go to 2-6. Arizona plays tonight and maybe that helps the Browns as the Cardinals will be a little less ready with 6 days instead of 7 to prepare and they have to fly all the way to Cleveland for the game. The Steelers whipped the Cards so maybe there is a glimmer of hope, but the Cardinals have a good defense, especially in the secondary, and that doesn't help McCown and his mostly mediocre receiving corps, running attack and offensive line.

I predicted 3-7 as the Browns hit the break week, and that record may even be a stretch as the Browns face Arizona, Cincy and Pitts. the next three weeks. Pitts. gets Ben R back and the Bengals are looking great.

Will Pettine be fired if the team is 2-8 at the break? I don't see it. Looks like another really bad season. Only good news is they get San Fran and Baltimore in the last six games!
    Like you, I don't see Pettine being fired at the break, although I would applaud it. I wouldn't mind losing so much if we were playing for the future, but when we are playing like the future is now and we are 2-5 soon to be 2-8, it is damn disheartening.

OconRecon is offline #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszler I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd Gurley tidbit from PFF:

His production has been consistently impressive, but the percentage of that production Gurley alone is responsible for has been on the rise each week. Against the Cardinals and Packers Gurley gained between 43 and 48 percent of his yards after contact, but against the Browns a ridiculous 86.7 percent of his yardage came after contact with Cleveland defenders.
    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)
    Training Camp schedule: Rookies report 7/23, vets 7/26, 1st practice 7/27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    You don't win football games just throwing all dink passes to running backs and wide receivers.
    Well, generally, you take what the defense gives you. But, to be successful, you must have something to say about what the defense gives you.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate this franchise. I'm a lifelong fan, who has told his children to become Packers fans. They don't need to suffer through this misery and embarrassment. I used to hate the Steelers and Ravens, now I just envy them.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome F-10.

My son off-sets with fantasy football.

Plus he loves the draft.

The stories he'll tell his kids will be "when I was a kid, the draft was always exciting". sigh

His life Browns highlight is when we went up to get Manziel. It's the main reason I'm still pulling for Manziel to work out. Kids love Manziel's excitement. McCown is the definition of boring to them.
    Last edited by OconRecon; 10-26-2015 at 08:57 AM.
    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Post Thanks / Like

The Browns won't "totally lose the fans" if we lose against AZ. History makes that abundantly clear if you just pay attention.

Quite the contrary, if we lose against AZ but Manziel flashes anything, even the smallest thing, the fans will likely be on an emotional uptick.

Post Thanks / Like

Manziel won games at A&M with the SEC's worst defense. So, there's that. And boy, that ain't much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    I agree 100%

his stat line looked good, however he didnt.

We were 3 out of 12 on third down conversions.. thats bad.

6.9 yards per passing play including sacks... ouch

2 fumbles...

He looked "meh"
    You're becoming dangerously tunnel-visioned PGL. McCown is the ninth rated passer in the NFL. That's a fact. That is far from "meh" especially considering the expectations for a 'bridge starter'. He's been nothing short of impressive in terms of what he's delivered to our franchise. There is literally no logical way try and use McCown's play as a rational to play the backup. Its a failed argument. I'm not sure why its still being attempted.

Now, a team sitting at 2-5 with so many units outside the QB position playing like shit? There's your rational and its gift wrapped.

We all should be fixated on the complete inability of this team to a) run the football, b) stop the run, c) avoid penalties, and d) hold on to the football. Those have been the consistent reasons (especially a through c) for the losing; not the QB play. Again, that isn't to suggest that McCown is in any form a "solution" or "answer". He isn't. But if you are worrying about wins/losses this year so far, you aren't pinning this on the QB.

My two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome F-10.

My son off-sets with fantasy football.

Plus he loves the draft.

The stories he'll tell his kids will be "when I was a kid, the draft was always exciting". sigh

His life Browns highlight is when we went up to get Manziel. It's the main reason I'm still pulling for Manziel to work out. Kids love Manziel's excitement. McCown is the definition of boring to them.
    Browns need playmakers. Manziel is a playmaker. But one player can't do it alone. Browns need a running game to help the passing game and vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    You're becoming dangerously tunnel-visioned PGL. McCown is the ninth rated passer in the NFL. That's a fact. That is far from "meh" especially considering the expectations for a 'bridge starter'. He's been nothing short of impressive in terms of what he's delivered to our franchise. There is literally no logical way try and use McCown's play as a rational to play the backup. Its a failed argument. I'm not sure why its still being attempted.

Now, a team sitting at 2-5 with so many units outside the QB position playing like shit? There's your rational and its gift wrapped.

We all should be fixated on the complete inability of this team to a) run the football, b) stop the run, c) avoid penalties, and d) hold on to the football. Those have been the consistent reasons (especially a through c) for the losing; not the QB play. Again, that isn't to suggest that McCown is in any form a "solution" or "answer". He isn't. But if you are worrying about wins/losses this year so far, you aren't pinning this on the QB.

My two cents.
    Actually, Manziel has a higher QB rating than McCown.

What do the QB ratings mean? I like to watch players play vs. just looking at stat sheets. McCown has virtually the same rating as Hoyer, who has already been replaced once and who we saw stank up the joint the last half of 2014. Yesterday McCown had a high rating but couldn't get his team in the end zone. Overall, McCown is playing good for his limited skills, but nobody should be fooled that he is a top drawer QB. He's not. And now he's hurt again.

Manziel is the future and deserves more playing time.

Post Thanks / Like

a) run the football, b) stop the run, c) avoid penalties, and d) hold on to the football.
    This was exactly Rutigliano's list on the Fan this morning.

He's disgusted.

Says you can coach these things, but puts most of the blame on the players. Says they're no good, and therefore Farmer is to blame ultimately.

Also wants to cut Manziel. Tired of the circus he brings, especially in light of the recent run in with the Avon Police Dept.

He was down right salty this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

McCown's calling card is either good QB play (8 games with Chicago and the 5 with us) with a losing record, or bad QB play with a losing record.

If Manning needed 5 yards for a winning FG kick and the OC called a bone head sweep with the power tailback, Peyton would have audibled out of that sucker. Rivers and Manning seem like they change the plays constantly. McCown seems to good-soldier every play call.

Again, I far from dislike McCown, his numbers are admirable, and most of the mistakes were not his yesterday, but unfortunately for him, QB is the easiest position to change at this moment. For better or for worse.
    Last edited by OconRecon; 10-26-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

QB play has been good enough to win. It's not remotely close to being a problem.

Turnovers, can't stop the run and piss poor tackling, can't establish the run and penalties are the most alarming issue.

I'm done. I can watch basketball now. A team that will play with a physical attitude and a winning mindset.

This team is soft on both sides of the ball and in every aspect.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

Except that it hasnt. It certainly wasn't yesterday. 3-and-outs, dink and dunk bullshit, holding on to the ball way too long, missing open WR's...

It's not going to win shit, especially when we can't run the ball for fuck all.

I agree, we are playing like a soft team.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

My two cents.
    McCown was GARBAGE yesterday. Glossy stats are great but how about an offense that can move up the field and score some points. Mr. Dink-and-dunk isn't getting it done. Yes, it's more than just the QB but the few good games he's had are not going to hold up for long if he keeps playing like he did yesterday.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Its unfortunate, but I think the shit show is just getting warmed up....
    There is some major malfunction going on internally with the Browns right now.

Two straight owners with oodles of cash and were getting bent over week after week. McCown is a talented QB, hes just not a winning QB.
    Hung onto the ball way too long...
    just beat it

Post Thanks / Like

McClown is a NFL loser. if you could pick any QB and you were picking 30th it would not be him. no future no past no present with him. he's played better than I thought he would.
    we could win 4 games @ this rate. 33% more than the 3 max I thought in Aug.

Jimmy sexed us up with his JF pick but he will still be here in May unlike the most of the FO. let's hope he hires people with experience. this time and gives them CONTROL.
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaand, the Monday morning PFF grades to wrap it all up:

Cleveland Browns

– Josh McCown (-0.8) did not push the ball downfield, outside of one pass that was called back due to a hold. McCown did not attempt a single pass over 20 yards, and only seven of his 32 pass attempts went beyond 10 yards. McCown was very accurate with his targeted passes; out of his six incompletions, only three of those resulted from poor throws. While McCown only missed on three passes, he did very little with the throws he made, because the Browns where consistently in long down and distance; the Rams gave up the short play and consistently made the tackle short of the sticks.

– First round pick Danny Shelton had the best game of his young career. While nothing showed up on the stat sheet, he was able to take on blockers and cause issues in the middle, forcing very little success when the point of attack was either middle-left or middle-right; the Rams only gained 17 yards on these two points of attack.

– With the Browns’ passing attack struggling to push the ball down the field, rookie RB Duke Johnson (+2.6) had room to work out of the backfield. Johnson averaged 10 yards after the catch, working well to find creases in the Rams’ defense. The only other player who had any success in the passing game was Gary Barnidge (+2.4). Barnidge gained 101 yards on six receptions. Seemingly the norm now with Barnidge, the tight end was able to come down with another great catch. On a pass that was overthrown, he was able to tip the ball up to himself to gain 20+ yards.

Top performers:

DL Randy Starks (+4.3)
    P Andy Lee (+2.6)
    SS Donte Whitner (+2.4)
    TE Gary Barnidge (+2.4)
    LB Chris Kirksey (+1.5)

-------

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-in-rams-win/

Last edited by OconRecon; 10-26-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This was exactly Rutigliano's list on the Fan this morning.

He's disgusted.

Says you can coach these things, but puts most of the blame on the players. Says they're no good, and therefore Farmer is to blame ultimately.

Also wants to cut Manziel. Tired of the circus he brings, especially in light of the recent run in with the Avon Police Dept.

He was down right salty this morning.
    Some here are tired of the circus. Understood. Some of us are tired of boredom. Understand?

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that the difference between a starter and a backup is that the starter is able to find away to make a team pay AFTER they take away what he wants to do.

McCown has done a very admirable job...better than I expected (but not as much as I hoped). Teams have realized that he likes to go long with certain players...and they have taken that away. He has been forced to dink and dunk, which keeps the QBR high but is generally ineffective unless it has a complimentary running game...which we currently don't.

I don't blame McCown who has done everything that has been asked of him...but he is not a dink and dunk QB. It is time.

Let's find out if we need to enter the draft looking for the next QB or if Manziel can do it. Some have implied he is not 'wired' to be the backup. Fine...is he 'wired' to be the starter then? Time to find out.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    Like you, I don't see Pettine being fired at the break, although I would applaud it. I wouldn't mind losing so much if we were playing for the future, but when we are playing like the future is now and we are 2-5 soon to be 2-8, it is damn disheartening.
    It is disheartening. Cliff, I just refuse to believe this defense is this bad! There is talent there! The scheme doesn't seem to work with the players in hand. And this team usually plays with little fire in the belly. I just don't see the enthusiasm, intensity and speed of pursuit I see with some other teams.

Another reason for feeling disheartened is that I thought the OL was the strength of the team! Now it looks physically overmatched, like we need new players at center, right guard and right tackle. I think Erving should get more playing time.
    Last edited by AttackOffense; 10-26-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Cliff, whatever leads to winning is what I'm up for. Winning ugly, winning flashy, winning boring.

To reiterate, I'm ready to see Manziel. That's not, however, due to the way the guy ahead of him was playing but rather the circumstances of the team presently (2-5 and reeling). With the type of QB'ing we've gotten from McCown this team should be at least a 4 win team, arguably higher. I didn't hear Rutigliano's interview this morning but (obviously) I think he nailed the prime suspects contributing to the losing.

Funny to see the PFF grades. Gave positive grades for what Johnson did with YAC while praising St Louis ability to stop YAC in the review of McCown. We're struggling big time at the skill positions outside Benji (who fumbled), Barnidge (who's been the best player on offense this year of anyone), and Johnson (as a receiver only; poor as a RB yesterday). No surprise to this forum as we've all expressed concern about the offensive skill positions all year:

Hartline. Seems safe to say he's having nosuccess separating from DB's. I can't see any other reason for his utter lack of production.
    Gabriel. Sure isn't making much of his opportunities and, unlike Benji, he just can't find a way to compete for a longer ball at his size/experience.
    Hawkins. Some on the forum may have nailed it with him. Again, just not a guy who's able to make a team pay.
    Bowe. Who's Bowe?
    Last edited by Greythan; 10-26-2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added the "no" to my Hartline comment. Boy, that was a big typo. ;)