Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 368

Thread: MEGATHREADmania XXX

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation MEGATHREADmania XXX

    As it stands we have multiple threads flowing with rich, viscous QB talks and as such I humbly request we all make an effort to centralize them here... MEGATHREAD 30!

    So right now as far as I see it we have McCown, the statistically aberrant but stiflingly incompetent QB who the coach likes due to his efficiency and minimizing mistakes (and points on the board) and we have Manziel, the hot headed, shitty driving, possibly relapsing backup who is relatively unproven, shown to take chances, prone to fumble (4 fumbles in 3 games) but damnit if we aren't getting dangerously close to the point where you gotta wonder just what you have in the kid to see if it's worth exploring further before we waste away (to the point of setting a precedent here in Cleveland WHICH IS SAYING SOMETHING) yet ANOTHER first round fucking quarterback. Talk about a rock and a hard place...

    Now I've been hard on McCown, but its mostly because of a bias which I can admit. However, it's over the past couple weeks becoming increasingly justified. Sure the whole sum of his play looks quite tasty when you break down the numbers but watching him play is about as tantalizing as a fork in the eye. Further compounded by the fact that the only exciting or consistently excelling portion of our offense is Gary Barnidge, makes me want to jump from a hill on to a bed of rocks.

    Similarly so, I've been hard on Manziel. The kid is given about every inch of rope fathomable from this fan base (which is understandable, I've done it too) because we want to see him play and we want to see him succeed. Despite the fact that off the field he seems to make Josh Gordon look like Waldo, Manziel's been praised by the coaches and he has said all the right things to the media (unless you're LaCanfora...). The reality is we need to really see what Manziel can do. He had some awful football last year where it was clearly incident he was not ready. That may have rubbed Pettine the wrong way. Consider that a first impression. If your first impression of a player is that of someone who is incredibly unprepared and gets eaten for lunch by the Bengals D, are you going to jump for joy at the chance to play this kid? He has looked leaps and bounds better this year, but I get the hesitation. There are factors that mitigate Manziel's appeal, and I can't entirely blame Pettine for wanting to go with McCown if McCown is healthy enough to play.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Evil; 10-27-2015 at 12:09 PM.
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    "Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow... EE.. thats post was perfectly worded an an excellent synopsis of our perdicament.

    WELL DONE

    Ill repost my final post from the previous thread:



    Do you guys notice that NFL football is essentially a sports soap opera? Seriously..

    This shit almost always has a twist, and plays out theatrically, theres drama, storylines etc..

    I can see how this is going to play out...


    Mccown will start this weekend, he will get thumped.. setting up the opportunity to Pettine making the QB change...

    AND GUESS WHAT...

    Manziels 2nd debut will come against the BENGALS.. Thursday night.. a REMATCH of his nightmare from HELL... PRIMETIME..

    WILL JOHNNY FACE HIS FEARS... AND RISE TO OCCASION TO BEAT THE TEAM THAT STARTED HIS LANDSLIDE?!?!?

    OR WILL HE CAVE TO THE PRESSURE IN A DAZZLING DISPLAY OF DEFEAT?

    WILL HE SLAY THE MIGHTY FURRED BEASTS IN THE BATTLE OF OHIO WITH HIS DEATH DEFYING MOVES?

    OR WILL HE COLLAPSE AND GET DRAGGED BACK TO THE BENGALS DEN?!?!


    FIND OUT ON THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!

    A redo of one of the highest touted (ratings wise) regular season games ever.

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The rock in my opinion is Pettine. He is a rock in the sense that he seems immovable. He also seems to have a rock for a brain. I think the hard spot is frustration. About all we can do is wait to see what happens. Chances are that nothing good will develop from this morass.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow... EE.. thats post was perfectly worded an an excellent synopsis of our perdicament.

    WELL DONE

    Ill repost my final post from the previous thread:



    Do you guys notice that NFL football is essentially a sports soap opera? Seriously..

    This shit almost always has a twist, and plays out theatrically, theres drama, storylines etc..

    I can see how this is going to play out...


    Mccown will start this weekend, he will get thumped.. setting up the opportunity to Pettine making the QB change...

    AND GUESS WHAT...

    Manziels 2nd debut will come against the BENGALS.. Thursday night.. a REMATCH of his nightmare from HELL... PRIMETIME..

    WILL JOHNNY FACE HIS FEARS... AND RISE TO OCCASION TO BEAT THE TEAM THAT STARTED HIS LANDSLIDE?!?!?

    OR WILL HE CAVE TO THE PRESSURE IN A DAZZLING DISPLAY OF DEFEAT?

    WILL HE SLAY THE MIGHTY FURRED BEASTS IN THE BATTLE OF OHIO WITH HIS DEATH DEFYING MOVES?

    OR WILL HE COLLAPSE AND GET DRAGGED BACK TO THE BENGALS DEN?!?!


    FIND OUT ON THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!

    A redo of one of the highest touted (ratings wise) regular season games ever.
    Funny! I say Manziel gets in the game this Sunday.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Before somebody even posts it here...I'm rolling up a proverbial newspaper, smacking you in the nose and saying, "NO". Ryan Mallett sucks donkey balls, and he won't help this football team. Not too mention he's a cancer in the locker room.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_QCT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before somebody even posts it here...I'm rolling up a proverbial newspaper, smacking you in the nose and saying, "NO". Ryan Mallett sucks donkey balls, and he won't help this football team. Not too mention he's a cancer in the locker room.
    Golly, what brought that on?

    By the way, I bet O'Brien would love to trade him straight up for Manziel. Reckon?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Agrred.. but I do want the 49ers to grab him to help out Carlos Hyde

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Golly, what brought that on?

    By the way, I bet O'Brien would love to trade him straight up for Manziel. Reckon?
    He was cut by the Texans per a bunch of reports.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_QCT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was cut by the Texans per a bunch of reports.
    My understanding is that O'Brien wanted to cut him but Rick Smith vetoed the idea. Has that changed?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Word is O'Brien has contro of the 53 and Rick Smith couldnt stop him.

    Rick only has control over the draft, trades, signings, and contracts

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Word is O'Brien has contro of the 53 and Rick Smith couldnt stop him.

    Rick only has control over the draft, trades, signings, and contracts
    This is all I know:

    http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...-s-6592016.php

    We will see what happens.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mallett was released.
    In the words of Tony Rizzo... "FIND ME A FREAKING QUARTERBACK!"

  13. #13
    OconRecon's Avatar
    OconRecon is online now #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszler I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chief BlueJacket's town
    Posts
    10,937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_QCT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ryan Mallett

    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)
    OTA's: 5/23-25, 5/30-31, 6/1, 6/5-8, Veteran MiniCamp: 6/13-15

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    At least Banner got two things right.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Ok.
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny! I say Manziel gets in the game this Sunday.
    You're probably right, the only way Pettine won't start McCown is he would have to be in a cast or missing a limb.
    I have one word if JM crashes, Payton Lynch!

  16. #16
    OconRecon's Avatar
    OconRecon is online now #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszler I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chief BlueJacket's town
    Posts
    10,937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tuesday NFL preview: Will Mariota, Roethlisberger, McCown play this weekend?

    Cleveland Browns: Josh McCown said his focus this week will be to rehab an injured shoulder and get healthy for Sunday's game against Arizona. The Browns clearly seem to want McCown to start Sunday's game against Arizona. -- Pat McManamon

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...ay-nfl-preview
    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)
    OTA's: 5/23-25, 5/30-31, 6/1, 6/5-8, Veteran MiniCamp: 6/13-15

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A team wants its starting QB to start? McManamon is like Nostradamus. (Sorry Ocon this sounds snarky but not meant to be directed at you lol)
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    "Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,932
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Manziel has to play this is getting almost ignorant.

    This team abaolutely is not growing. If we cant win now...atleast prepare to win in future.

  19. #19
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12,733
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now I've been hard on McCown, but its mostly because of a bias which I can admit. However, it's over the past couple weeks becoming increasingly justified. Sure the whole sum of his play looks quite tasty when you break down the numbers but watching him play is about as tantalizing as a fork in the eye. Further compounded by the fact that the only exciting or consistently excelling portion of our offense is Gary Barnidge, makes me want to jump from a hill on to a bed of rocks.
    I disagree with this. The sum of his play is tasty.

    147/220 - 66.8% - 1,686 yards - 7.66 - 8 touchdowns - 3 interceptions.

    Those are fantastic numbers. He's thrown for over 300 yards in three of five games, and thrown over 250 in all but one. What's important to remember is the extenuating circumstances.

    - We're 26th in the league in rushing yards, 29th (31st) in the league in yards per attempt. 28th in rushing yards per game.
    - We're also giving up a lot of penalties, which is putting the offense in horrible situations. Rams game is a great example.

    Those numbers from McCown are impressive when you consider that we've got a terrible rushing game and we're constantly shooting ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties. The problem isn't that those numbers aren't enough, those numbers just aren't enough to carry an offense that isn't providing rushing yards and cannot help themselves with penalties. We don't have anything to break up the monotony of passing.

    Then there are factors that largely go ignored.

    - Hawkins and Hartline are struggling, and Gabriel has taken a step backwards from last season. As you mention, Barnidge is all we have to hang our hat on, and it's making it difficult on McCown. The guys just aren't getting open enough, and it's making the offense too predicable.
    - Our rushing defense not only sucks because of what it's doing to us on the scoreboard, but what it's doing to the opposition defense. They are fresh throughout the game, and Josh is taking an absolute beating.
    - He has already been sacked 21 times - he was sacked 36 times last season behind Tampa's woeful line. This is relevant to the previous two points. We've often got nobody open, and we've often got pass rushers playing at their best because they aren't tired.
    - Travis Coons is having an impressive 14/14 season, the kid is fucking accurate, but that accuracy is a trade off of range. His range is 44 yards, which is pretty small. If you go through kickers, a lot of guys are scoring consistently from beyond 50, much less 45. We've punted six times from inside the opposition half, and I'd hazard a guess that a few of them could have been field goals. Shit, we get upset at the Denver loss because we couldn't make the yards down to the 36, but there are plenty of kickers who didn't need extra yards and were already in range. With that said, I like Travis, it's just an extra reason we're not generating points.

    And, lastly, the defense sucks and are allowing a lot of points to be scored. We're always looking for points as a result. MCown's putting up big numbers but it's not as exciting when we're always needing more. The guy just isn't throwing for 400 yards every week. It's hard to be satisfied with even a strong performance when it isn't enough.

    These factors suck the excitement out of the offense, which he is generating on his own and it's not at all a bad offense. If we could do a little more elsewhere, the offense would be a lot more exciting because we could actually enjoy the results. It's like fucking without the orgasm, it's still good, it's just not enough.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're probably right, the only way Pettine won't start McCown is he would have to be in a cast or missing a limb.
    I have one word if JM crashes, Payton Lynch!
    Lynch is an interesting prospect, still need to look closer before I say draft him. Lynch is a leader, though, you can see that. It's amazing what he has done for that usually down and out Memphis football program. I do like Goff.

    McCown is getting worn down -- he's taking too much of a beating. He's done very well given all the limitations of the offense (no running game, most of the receiving corps contributing nothing) but McCown has limitations himself in terms of what he is and can do as a QB. But I admire him for getting the best of himself. And I think O'Connell and DeFlip deserve a tip of the hat for their role in helping prepare McCown.
    Last edited by AttackOffense; 10-28-2015 at 08:01 AM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_QCT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least Banner got two things right.
    The message is clear: stay away from these guys who worked for Bellichick. O'Brien is an asshole.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_QCT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before somebody even posts it here...I'm rolling up a proverbial newspaper, smacking you in the nose and saying, "NO". Ryan Mallett sucks donkey balls, and he won't help this football team. Not too mention he's a cancer in the locker room.
    Seems to be true. None of you guys have seen Austin Davis play. He's better than Mallet.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    6,802
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo930 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we really THAT opposed to playing Johnny?
    Or maybe Manziel just shot himself in the foot with that little incident last week. Maybe they would have gone to him now if it wasn't a distinct possibility he will get suspended by the NFL...and then they have to answer to that and why they started him KNOWING that he could get suspended. I am sure it at least plays some role in this decision.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.



Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •