Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: MEGATHREADmania XXX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here we go again. You need really good players everywhere, including the center and wide receiver positions.

Guys like WR Cobb and WR/TE Nelson for Green Bay and WR Edelman and WR/TE Gronkowski for New England are elite players.

Cobb was drafted 2nd round 64th overall, Edelman was drafted in like 8th round. Point people are making is that with great QB's, these receivers have achieved elite status (riding on the coattails of their QB's). Other example of top NFL team without top receivers is Seattle. I think people have a point. One could say these are perhaps mitigating factors for Farmers not drafting a WR high in the draft. The pattern of not playing high draft picks also suggests that Browns coaching staff my not be developing players, not so much about Farmer's ineptitude. That's what I strongly suspect. I think the problem is Pett.

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone is overly weak at wide receiver, and the positive impact these guys have is noticeable.

Green Bay - Jordan Nelson was selected 36th overall. Randall Cobb was selected 64th overall. Devante Adams selected 53rd overall.

Green Bay's wide receiver situation will always be one of the most bizarre examples of not having receivers that I've ever seen. They've selected three receivers in the second round. That's an incredible investment. They've also got a 2nd round pick at running back, a 3rd round pick at tight end and a 3x pro-bowler at FB.

Aaron Rodgers is also a hall of fame quarterback, or he will be. Even though they have remarkable investment at the receiver positions, at skill positions across the board, Rodgers could get away with less. They just don't want him to, as he doesn't want to do so. He was very public with his desire for Cobb and Nelson to be resigned, which they were to 4 year-$40M and 4 year-$39M contracts respectively. They're not 2nd round picks anymore, they're $10M per-season superstars, and you don't give guys that kind of money if they're expendable.
    New England - I always hate the comparisons to New England's receiver group. By now, everyone should be well aware of the fact that Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time and Bill Belichick one of the greatest coaches of all time, and the greatest head coach of the modern era. What they need at wide receiver is vastly different to what everyone else needs at wide receiver. Nobody else has a Tom Brady, nobody else has ever had a Tom Brady. If we start trying to build this team like we've got Tom Brady, the team WILL fail.

With that said, they have the best tight end of the modern era. That's high praise given some of the names that have been running around, but Gronk in his prime is the most lethal tight end in a long, long time. He's even better than Tony Gonzalez. Almost 25% of his receptions this season have gone for touchdowns. Julian Edelman is also elite. Who cares where he was drafted. The guy runs the most crisp routes in the NFL, he catches absolutely everything, he's a fantastic athlete and his intelligence is off the charts - nobody navigates zones better than Edelman, he has made a living of finding space for Brady to hit him. Their cupboard is not bare, in spite of having a guy like Brady. Edelman isn't a late round pick anymore, he's on a 4 year-$19M contract, and Gronk is on a 6 year-$54M contract, the largest for a tight end ever at the time of signing. Also note, I'll HAPPILY take either guy for Cleveland.
    Seattle - Seattle now has Jimmy Graham, one of the best tight ends in the game, and he cost them a first round pick. They've also got Tyler Lockett, selected 69th overall. That's on top of already having an undrafted gem in Doug Baldwin, who is an amazing receiver - the Seattle times just wrote that he leads the NFL with 84 consecutive passes without a drop. He himself is on a 3 year-$13M deal that runs out next season, and he's going to make some pretty cash for what he's capable of.

The big salvation for Seattle is also their brilliance on offense. Obviously, they have a remarkable rushing offense, and Russell Wilson has the best legs of any quarterback in the NFL (I think he's overtaken Mike Vick, who still might give him a run for his money (Pun intended)). Their offense is also faltering. Without that elite defense in place, they've not been as good as they once were.
    What is worth noting is that these are the three best examples of not having wide receivers in the entire NFL (Minus Cleveland) and they're all pretty weak examples. These are not teams that lack talent, they have it in abundance. Nobody denies that having a great quarterback is your greatest asset in terms of generating offense, but the talent that sounds the quarterback in itself makes up much more than people give credit for. It's understandable, QB is the glamour position, and everyone else is an afterthought - until they're not.

We seem to be overly strict on our offensive weapons. It's unusual after we watched Cameron and Gordon amass 4,000 yards and 20+ touchdowns of offense with Weeden, Campbell and Hoyer all rotating at quarterback. We're currently watching the difference that a healthy Travis Benjamin makes. This weekend we'll be playing a team with two first round picks and a late round gem (Who is quickly establishing himself as one of the best slots in the NFL) and that's an intimidating moment for us. Look at what Derek Carr is doing with Amari Cooper, and Carr is very open with his satisfaction for what an acquisition like Cooper is doing for the team. Brian Hoyer is having a blast with DeAndre Hopkins. The list is almost endless, there are receivers going off everywhere.

Personally, I hope like all hell we get Gordon back as what he was. I'm confused by anyone who didn't notice the impact he had. I hope we can retain Benjamin if he's going to keep playing the way he is. I'd love to see a young stud join those two guys. Imagine trying to contain Travis Benjamin when you've got Josh Gordon and another high end receiver to worry about? Fuck that. I'd hate trying to contain that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    Annoying is New England - Tom Brady is going off, and they're starting two rookie guards they got in the fucking fourth round. - Correction, only one was found in the fourth, the other fourth round pick lost out to an undrafted free agent they've developed on the practice squad for the last two seasons.
    Bad example. Take Tom Brady off that football team and they'd be struggling just like anyone else with a shitty, young OL.

Brady makes every single guy on that offense better than he'd be anywhere else. This notion that somehow the 7,300 no-name guys that have cycled through that offense over the past 10+ years have been elite is beyond me. There's one guy that makes that thing work; one guy and a great coach.

That said, I hated the Erving pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by legerdemain View Post
    Cobb was drafted 2nd round 64th overall, Edelman was drafted in like 8th round. Point people are making is that with great QB's, these receivers have achieved elite status (riding on the coattails of their QB's). Other example of top NFL team without top receivers is Seattle. I think people have a point. One could say these are perhaps mitigating factors for Farmers not drafting a WR high in the draft. The pattern of not playing high draft picks also suggests that Browns coaching staff my not be developing players, not so much about Farmer's ineptitude. That's what I strongly suspect. I think the problem is Pett.
    So what that Cobb was taken in the second round! Anybody who watched SEC football as much as I do knew the kid was the most exciting player in the SEC for two years and it wasn't even close. SEC fans talked a lot about him. He played in obscurity for a bad Kentucky team with a mediocre QB but he himself was electric. NFL execs make mistakes all the time and Cobb definitely should have been a first round pick. Great player in college. Great player in the pros.

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP.

And a friendly request to re-direct all the QB-discussion to its rightful home.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

From Pettine's comments about it being "valid" to discuss when it's time to start Manziel... and then bringing up that there's a 10-day window after the Bengals game... I think he offered up his preferred timeline assuming we don't upset the Bengals with a dinged up bridge starter, no Hartline, and perhaps no Hawkins again.

If Manziel has to play Thursday, it's a shitty situation for him, just as it would be for McCown. We're a dinged up team right now and Hartline had just found his groove. If he plays, it almost turns into an audition under pretty horrific circumstances with almost no prep.

I'm with Pettine: If we're looking to establish something with Manziel that might be long-term, Thursday ain't ideal.

Post Thanks / Like

Shep.. I miss you

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    Shep.. I miss you
    Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo930 View Post
    Tough assignment for Manziel. If Johnny fires up the team and beats the Bengals then Pettine will really be under the gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Browns preparing to start Johnny Manziel at Bengals
    BROWNS AT BENGALS
    When: Thursday, Nov. 5, 8 p.m. ET

Two days away from battling the undefeated Bengals, the wandering Browns are turning the offense over to Johnny Manziel.

With veteran passer Josh McCown battling a painful rib injury, NFL Media's Rand Getlin reported Tuesday that Cleveland is preparing to start Johnny Football for Thursday night's tilt with their AFC North rival, per a source briefed on the team's plans.

Manziel played a handful of snaps in relief of McCown at the end Sunday's loss to the Cardinals, his first on-field action since guiding the Browns to a 28-14 win over the Titans in Week 2.

Manziel was given a full week to prepare for Tennessee, but Thursday's task is a tall order for the second-year passer: Rolling into Cincinnati to face an AFC heavy on a short week.

Teams typically stage a practice and a walkthrough before Thursday night tilts, barely enough time for Manziel to get a handle on the game plan. That's the world of a backup quarterback, though.

The positive for the Browns is the fine work of first-year coordinator John DeFilippo, who has milked solid performances out of McCown and Manziel when most wrote off both quarterbacks before the season.

Still, Manziel's critical second campaign now takes a challenging turn. The Browns are shorthanded on offense and a wild mess on defense. Rolling out an inexperienced passer doesn't help. Unlike last year's fellow rookie starters -- Blake Bortles, Derek Carr and Teddy Bridgewater -- Johnny has barely seen the field.

While some might wonder if Manziel is being thrown into the fire at the worst possible time, this also represents a prime opportunity to shift perceptions about his up-and-down career on the national stage.

It's your move, Johnny.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...iel-at-bengals
    2017 Draft: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 EXTRA Draft picks: a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), a 5th (Chiefs/Cam) - 12 total
    2019 EXTRA picks: 7th rnd (w/ Coates)
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Draft countdown clock: http://www.draftcountdown.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I would say high risk / high reward.

But there really isn't that much risk. If he doesn't do well, the excuses will be he worked on a short week, the team is in perceived dissarray, and he went against the undefeated Bengals.

But if he can pull this off, and there's like a 5% chance it'll happen, it could be epic.

Next up, I'd like to hear:

"Browns cut Dwayne Bowe"

then,

"Browns stay quiet as trade deadline passes"

then,

"Browns plan on using Duke Johnson more vs the Bengals"

then,

"Browns active TE E.J. Bibbs"
    2017 Draft: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 EXTRA Draft picks: a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), a 5th (Chiefs/Cam) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Post Thanks / Like

Manziel should look to this as a redemption opportunity. Given how many attribute the woeful play of last years game of Cinci as some kind of evidence of his ineptitude, I hope he at the very least looks to smack the Cinci D in the mouth. I am skeptical we will be the ones to end their unbeaten streak. He should be infinitely more prepared than he was last year.

Cinci, Denver, Carolina, all unbeaten. This is a bizarro season...

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if I love this or hate this

Startig Johnny on a short week vs the undefeated Bengals on National television..

My god..

This is either going to be really good...

or really... really bad

Mike Pettine either has no other option, or he REALLY REALLY hates Johnny

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

I've read two reports now that mention that Sunday's game marked the first on-field action for Johnny. Why do professional writers continue to overlook his mop-up duty in St.Louis?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NGgator60 View Post
    I've read two reports now that mention that Sunday's game marked the first on-field action for Johnny. Why do professional writers continue to overlook his mop-up duty in St.Louis?
    First on-field action this season? I assume they mean aside from him winning the game against Tennessee? Or like you pointed out, the end of the St Louis game? Or how about the first game of the season against the Jets? Are those writers on crack or just not paying any attention at all?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd guess the former. He made it clear he didn't want Johnny to go yet. The only way he is playing is if Josh really can't go. And let's face it. Josh is pretty dinged up. Let's hope Johnny is prepared. It's likely he'll play. I'm sure he has painful memories of his game against the Bengals last year. I was at that game so I know I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...there is this:

Arizona/Denver/St.Louis were ranked in the top 6 of the league defensively....Cinci is ranked 22nd overall.

Against the pass, all 3 are top 10...Cinci is ranked 23rd.

Sacking the QB...Denver and St. Louis are top 3....Cinci is 8th

INT's...Denver and Arizona are top 5....Cinci is 7th

QB Rating against...Denver and Arizona are top 3....Cinci is 11th

Basically, Cinci's D is not on the same level as the ones we just faced...and Cinci's offense is basically like Arizona's...but Arizona is better.

This may not be such a bad matchup for a guy like Manziel and his mobility. (or maybe it will be aweful??)
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if I love this or hate this

Startig Johnny on a short week vs the undefeated Bengals on National television..

My god..

This is either going to be really good...

or really... really bad

McCown is said to be in incredible discomfort.

I don't get why Pettine has to hate Manziel. This is the NFL. You don't get to take it easy from week to week, especially if you're the Cleveland Browns. We get very few, if any, cupcake games.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

For all the hand wringing in here....think about these:

Kaepernick is benched and likely finished in SF
    Griffin III is benched and likely finished in Washington
    Mallett has been cut after multiple lates and missing the plan for Houston
    Someone remind me...WHO is the QB in Buffalo???
    How about that Jets QB mess???

Roethlisburger comes back and promptly throws 3 INT's and gets sacked 3x by the 23rd ranked defense...(Cinci had 5 INT's going into that game)

Luck...well, he has run out of it

....and don't you love the mess at QB in both Phili and Dallas???

Just sayin'....McCown has held his own...and Manziel has done his job when he has gotten the chance. When was the last time we could say that about our QB situation?
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Rex Ryan has always shown to be a QB guru LMAO

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Hartline will not play due to injury
    Hawkins still not cleared
    Bowe as stationary as the Terminal Tower

I guess we'll need Manziel to not forget about Barnidge, target Travis and Gabriel, the occasional Marlon Moore, and then Duke.

Can we get some Bibbs?? Please??!! Pretty Please???!!!

This is the kind of thing I've touted about Manziel historically. He rises to the occasion, rather than withering. Gonna be interesting.

Last edited by OconRecon; 11-03-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we activate bibbs, give johnson 30 touches. 30!!!! 21 rushes 9 reception targets. Gabriel benji hartline barnidge all need to catch everything for him.

Manziel needs to start this season and next. If he gets a month of all reos. The team will adapt to him. They need to adjust. They never played wide open,fast, break off routes and go deep or come back to scrambling qb ..

Line needs to do their damn job. Manziel needs go to mack joel n joe...."guys, i need u. I can win the division if u block and stay on ur blocks. Fire off possessed on runs, and passes stay on ur guy till whistle... If he gets by look at me and we can still mske plays if u come back and block cuz ill juke towards u and u level him on change of direction." "joe and alex.... Make sure u guys are telling greco n Mitchell what ur seeing. Stay focused. No penalties..dont hold... If they get by u let them and ill lead em back to u. Lets work together and best cincy. Lets change the mood of our lockerroom . whoever is here... Lets play and get expierence for next year. Lets play for deflippio. And pettine if he can do anything to help us win division. I dont want new offense and coach. Pettine a dick and hes fucked me but its my time now and im ready. Duke and I can make plays guys. We need help from wr and line. Blocks. And stay on them but dont hold. Keep fighting till whistle. I will bail you guys out with my legs and move chains on 3rd just dont hold or chop. Dont jump. Stay focused. We go this fucking shit. Its our time. We win here.....bye...and beat steelers without bell, we are fucking golden. We can go undefeated inside afc north. Bengals are beatable. We should of beat denver. I am not gonna turn ball over, I promise. Smart decisions and I am going to make defense worry about me and our wr will get free for huge gain or mismatch on duke. I can get our rushing game to turn around if you give me ur all. Please. We are in this together. Trust me. Just give me everything u guys got for 3 hours, and I will make the plays and give you all the credit too.

I aint sitting on bench anymore, and I am gonna change our offense and this teams mentality.

If we end up playing good afc north, if nothing else it may give huge lift for 2016 and may get pett n farmer to stay. Oneil is gone barring a miracle of young guys coming in and making ints. Every other series and fumbles n sacks like browns never have done.

Kruger will not be here next year without paycut or better second half of year. Alot of his lack kf production is he isnt being used like he has every year ever before this one

Farmer needs control of roster 100percent rest of year and next year if here still.

Pettine needs to show wayy more emotion. This young team needs coach like jim harbaugh or urban meyer to truly win championships, or of course arians, john h, belicheck, or tomlin.

Emotion, but also disciplined. Knows how to put qb and offense in good position. Goes for it believes in guya makes them believe in themselves too. But has be proven winner. Les miles dantonio herman swiney and fisher are real candidates. Butch davis did good with less. Tressel i dont think would be able to break his conservative ways. Defense would have attitutde and rest of team.

And fucking discipline and respect him...

Team isnt disciplined and guys dont truly trust Pettine and knoe 100percent he can win as HC in this league.
    ..cleveland needs a top 5 coach and a elite owner and gm.

We have had rookie shit coaches or dc that were over their head. Chud needed great dc and gm. Farmer and chud would of been good pair.

Manziel is being tossed to wolves now. Mccown is hurt though imo and he is gonna rehurt himself. We may need mccown later. Davis deserves shot if manziel after week 14 isnt cutting it. Play davis and try ruin some other teams playoff hopes.

I dont want to end on 1-6 note again. If we pick in top 5 fire dc n hc

Post Thanks / Like

A very important comment by McCown seems to have been overlooked by the wonderful Cleveland and National Media types...

"There's different things here and there to try to help, but some of it gets chalked under the pain tolerance type of thing," McCown said. "And time more than anything. Right now we don't have that on our side as far as this game or really this season, because you need probably a little longer than a few days or a few weeks to let this heal."
    This sounds like McCown may be hinting at more than this week...it may be WEEKS...which may meen that the reigns of the Browns QB position has just been unofficially turned over to Manziel.