Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals week!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a tough spot and about as hard of start as either QB will see all year.

Short week, beat up / inactive receivers, beat up secondary, undefeated Bengals. It just a tough one.

I'm not sure I'm a Johnny fanboi, but I am very eager to move toward a long term solution at QB. Treading water with McCown, in this regard, would be fine if the team were winning. Since we're not, let's move along, see if Johnny has any glimmer of hope, and go from there.

It's going to be mega tough though. The list of young QB's, who are now great, who were allowed to grow in this league because of a staunch D or above average running game is long. The Browns have neither. McCown didn't have it, so it was tough for him, and neither will Manziel, so it'll be tough for him too.

If Manziel pulls this out, it'll be close to a miracle.

The good news is he's looking to improve upon the 30-0 debacle from last year. So the bar is low in that sense, I suppose.

Flip needs to get the ball to Duke as a RB and a WR. He's the only RB on the roster with some vision. A little bit of run game would sure help.

The whole scenario looks uncomfortably like the Tim Couch era. Browns are about the worst in NFL in combined hits and sacks allowed against their QBs and Manziel is a fairly little guy. Let's hope he survives!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasonh8806 View Post
    I'll be at this game, and I really hope to see the same thing I saw when I went to the Thursday night game last year... but I'm not holding my breath...
    Jason, after the game, give us a report as to your observations. You'll likely see some stuff we can't see on TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    The whole scenario looks uncomfortably like the Tim Couch era. Browns are about the worst in NFL in combined hits and sacks allowed against their QBs and Manziel is a fairly little guy. Let's hope he survives!
    JFF has always been very good at avoiding the big hit. This is the worst possible scenario for him: starting against the Bengals, again.

But I'm pulling for him to play well. Win the game? I seriously doubt it. But it is the NFL and perhaps the bookies need to clean up.

Post Thanks / Like

Pettine CONFIRMS Manziel is starting tomorrow night (on Sirius NFL)!!!

He is talking him up pretty good, talking about his knowledge of the scheme/plays and his versatility.

Go Browns (and Manziel)!!!
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Eden View Post
    JFF has always been very good at avoiding the big hit. This is the worst possible scenario for him: starting against the Bengals, again.

But I'm pulling for him to play well. Win the game? I seriously doubt it. But it is the NFL and perhaps the bookies need to clean up.
    Yeah, I'll be rooting my tail off for Johnny Thursday night. With an OL that can't pass protect and can't open holes, mediocre running backs and only two competent guys to throw the ball to, Manziel is playing with both arms tied behind his back. But maybe he can spark the team's effort, anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW....Pettine seems a bit pissed that the talks about player trades got out. Don't be surprised that they try to identify the leak and 'plug' it.

He did say that he sat down with JT and assured him that he is/was/will be in the plans of the Browns...and that it was a team 'asking about'....not him being shopped.

Now THAT is a good coach.
    Last edited by DawgFan; 11-04-2015 at 08:19 AM.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

It's official, Johnny is starting.

Let's please give him some fucking support. Defense, and a running game. No more of this 400 yards against bullshit and Josh McCown leading the team in rushing. Do your fucking jobs so Johnny CAN make plays rather than HAVING to make plays. Oh, and fuck Cinci, just kick the shit out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Welp, this is gonna suck. Finally get to watch the Browns live, and it's pretty much worst case scenario.

Post Thanks / Like

@bdu I'm just nervous dude..

This is exactly what I said would happen last week!

Who remembers my post about this being Johnnys revenge match vs the Bengals on national TV and the fact that the NFL couldn't allow him not to start.

If I didn't know any better.. Pettine probably left mccown in there to get killed as a directive from NFL black Operations.. they needed The revenge storyline for the ratings on Thursday night football.

I just hope this doesn't end up being a redo of last year's travesty.

It seems like they take whatever chance they can to hang johnny in public (they being the man.. the media.. etc.). This short week beat up team scenario vs an undefeated team in their home stadium scenario plays right into that. Add in the revenge storyline this is crazy.. like a movie.

Which way does the story go?

Does he overcome all the odds and display the johnny football underdog magic? Or does he fall to the pressures and circumstance and dissolve in a tragic display of failure?

This is crazy.

I'm 100% excited... and 100% worried

I love this team

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

First off, I was listening to McCown talk about the short week when he implied Manziel would be starting. He said that they had put in the bulk of the Cinci game plan LAST WEEK...so Manziel has had a week of prep for this game...plus the short week leading up to it.

This is not some conspiracy to derail Manziel. In fact, it almost sounds like the team and McCown are giving him every opportunity to have a bad day without it sounding like a failure. I am also getting the feel from McCown that he is ready to step down 'permanent' like fo the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    @bdu I'm just nervous dude..
    Fuck it dude. It could all fall apart, but if he kicks the piss out of them, it could snowball into something special. The Johnny I know and love lives for these moments. I can't help but think he wouldn't want it any other way. There is a lot of reasons to write him off, against a team that beat him black and blue, and that might just light the fire under his ass.

Positive vibes. This Thursday is the first game of a fifteen year run in which the Cleveland Browns finally have a franchise quarterback.

Post Thanks / Like

Right there with ya, BDU. The idea that everything was geared for Manziel to go into this game with everything purposedly stacked against him??? OMG! This is a Browns fan board?? Good grief. I'm betting he's gonna love every minute of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    Positive vibes. This Thursday is the first game of a fifteen year run in which the Cleveland Browns finally have a franchise quarterback.
    I hope so BDU. That would really be something.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems kind of right. I'm a big believer in synergy and signs of the universe, although I am atheist and not a hippy, but I digress. You couldn't script it better. Johnny's fall from grace really started against a divisional opponent and it comes back around that his shot at redemption starts a year later, against the same opponent (Who are now an undefeated Superbowl contender) on the same Thursday night stage after a year of battling personal demons and trying to put it all together.

Am I the only one who can see that shit making "A Football Life" producers drool as the starting point of the Cleveland Browns revival?

Actually, I'm not too worried about Johnny. Flip's offense has given me a million reasons to trust it, and Johnny has clearly progressed. I'm worried about this fucking team. The defense is the big pile of shit in the room, and I've no interest in using it as a couch. We need to stop the run and we need to stop getting burned in the passing game at all the wrong moments. We also need to generate some semblance of pass rush, too.

Johnny is now Josh McCown - what hasn't changed is the quarterback cannot win if we're giving up over 400 yards (500 last week still buries me) and multiple touchdowns. If the team around Johnny can rally, there is no reason he can't win it.

It's a pretty fucking big game. If it was hard to pick between Johnny and McCown last time, then this time the starting job is his for the taking. If he comes out and plays at a high level, I'm not sure I see the team going back to Josh - and who knows how far that can go - we're taking starting QB, alleviation of pressure to draft/sign a starting QB for next season, franchise QB. Who knows.

I just hope he doesn't get fucked by piss poor play around him. That'd suck, and I don't trust fans/media to place blame where it's due, assuming he doesn't earn that blame.

Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely a game where Browns could have used Terrelle Pryor. Without Andrew Hawkins Manziel will have to build chemistry with some other receivers, but fortunately he can turn to the Rabbit. Actually without having butterfingers Hartline is probably a good thing.

Browns need to let Manziel make downfield throws and open up the field a lot, to put Duke Johnson in position to peel off a lot of long runs. Manziel needs to know where 55 is if he takes off downfield, Burfict is a true force of nature, no one wants to be hit by the man.

This will be an exciting game, perfect timing, matchup between Browns and chief division rival and with the addition of Vontaze Burfict, a top five defense. If Browns win this they will be in the mix for a wildcard spot in playoffs. Go Browns!
    Last edited by legerdemain; 11-04-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we will se a resurgence from Travis Benjamin in this game. He is Johnny's favorite weapon. Gary Barnidge will likely contribute, but he is Josh's big gun. I can't help but feel like Johnny provides a spark to this team that Josh doesn't, and if the offense can get some momentum early in that game then I think that energy will carry over to the defensive side of the ball. The coaching staff can't play conservative in this one. Johnny is not meant for a conservative offense. I am excited to watch this one, but I am in no way going into this one with the expectation of a victory. The Johnny Manziel led Browns winning this game would send tremors through Cleveland. It would be the beginning of the meteoric rise of Johnny Manziel. I don't want to carry that kind of expectation into this game because it would just be setting myself up for disappointment. But damnit if the Browns fan in me isn't "barking hard" for it!

Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting ponder - Should the Browns go all out, pull out all the tricks of the playbook, let Johnny go for a wild game with downfield throws, trick plays, getting his legs involved, spread out formations and unique uses of players, such as last week when we put Duke Johnson in the slot and he took it for a huge gain.

Personally, I'd like to see it somewhere in the middle. Let him start off a little slower and gauge what they're trying to do. I assume they'll try do what they did last time and what works best against Johnny - bring pressure but keep the line consistent so he can't take off running. If he can ease in, taking the short passes given to him and trying to protect the ball, it could very much open up bigger plays. If we can sustain drives early, they're going to have a bitch of a time stopping Johnny's legs and the running game late.

The other question is receivers - I don't trust anyone outside of Barnidge, Duke Johnson, Travis Benjamin and sometimes Taylor Gabriel. It might be a good time to try get E.J Bibbs in and Malcom Johnson running a few routes himself. Johnny and Bibbs have chemistry and trust, and Malcom Johnson provides easy passes while requiring linebacker attention. Backs coming out of the backfield on routes is the surefire way to prevent them from trying to bring the heat on Johnny. Duke is a beast, and Malcom is a very athletic former tight end.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob Housler has been placed on injured reserve. Great signing, Farmer.

Wonder if this means more Bibbs, although it's De'Ante Saunders who has been promoted.

Post Thanks / Like

I was pointing out what was stacked up against him to add to the STORY

I keep saying, the NFL is just a soap opera for guys

DRAMA

This whole thing is orchestrated.

If Johnny pulls through with a W tomorrow, watch out.. the world will explode

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not worried about Johnny at all. I just hope the defense doesn't put him in a early deep hole and the playcalling isn't too conservative.

Manziel knows he will have to do damage from the pocket, last year the Bengals employed a spy, if they try that this year they need to pay for it. I am not calling for a win though the possibility exists, I will settle for a positive performance by Manziel and the ENTIRE TEAM that can be used a building block. If this team can finish the season 5-3 or even 4-4 things will look a whole lot brighter for everyone.

BDU spoke about synergy and signs, I am a huge believer in that. Johnny needs to take care of what he can control as does the coaching staff and each unit on the field. Play within themselves, treat each down with respect and let the game come to them. It's a perfect situation, heavy under-dogs riddled with injury and really unencumbered with expectations. Seasons, even franchises can start a positive turnaround based on one game. This was never anyone's plan, it has been thrust upon them by forces outside their control. I have this strange feeling the result will change the implied direction of the future.

Call this my football moment of Zen.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the perfect time to get hot...

Cinci in Cinci...10 days off
    Pitt in Pitt...14 days off
    Baltimore in Cleveland
    Cinci in Cleveland
    SF in Cleveland

....a little run now could change the entire outlook of the season...

GO BROWNS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    This is the perfect time to get hot...

Cinci in Cinci...10 days off
    Pitt in Pitt...14 days off
    Baltimore in Cleveland
    Cinci in Cleveland
    SF in Cleveland

....a little run now could change the entire outlook of the season...

GO BROWNS!!!
    It's nice to be optimistic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo930 View Post
    I think we will se a resurgence from Travis Benjamin in this game. He is Johnny's favorite weapon. Gary Barnidge will likely contribute, but he is Josh's big gun. I can't help but feel like Johnny provides a spark to this team that Josh doesn't, and if the offense can get some momentum early in that game then I think that energy will carry over to the defensive side of the ball. The coaching staff can't play conservative in this one. Johnny is not meant for a conservative offense. I am excited to watch this one, but I am in no way going into this one with the expectation of a victory. The Johnny Manziel led Browns winning this game would send tremors through Cleveland. It would be the beginning of the meteoric rise of Johnny Manziel. I don't want to carry that kind of expectation into this game because it would just be setting myself up for disappointment. But damnit if the Browns fan in me isn't "barking hard" for it!
    Benjamin hasn't scored in over a month and was held to 26 yards vs. Cardinals. It's possible we could see a resurgence. Good thought!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by legerdemain View Post
    This is definitely a game where Browns could have used Terrelle Pryor. Without Andrew Hawkins Manziel will have to build chemistry with some other receivers, but fortunately he can turn to the Rabbit. Actually without having butterfingers Hartline is probably a good things.

Browns need to let Manziel make downfield throws and open up the field a lot, to put Duke Johnson in position to peel off a lot of long runs. Manziel needs to know where 55 is if he takes off downfield, Burfict is a true force of nature, no one wants to be hit by the man.

This will be an exciting game, perfect timing, matchup between Browns and chief division rival and with the addition of Vontaze Burfict, a top five defense. If Browns win this they will be in the mix for a wildcard spot in playoffs. Go Browns!
    I thought the same thing but then I thought, well, would Pryor, with his lack of experience at WR, be a zero factor.