Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terry PLuto Writes Best Article In A Long Time: Pettine & Farmer"An arranged marriage"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terry PLuto Writes Best Article In A Long Time: Pettine & Farmer"An arranged marriage"

This is a great article. Surprisingly even keel, he blames both parties equally, and also senses that it isnt over, he thinks they can still pull out of this together.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Scribbles in my Browns notebook after listening to the press conferences of General Manager Ray Farmer and Coach Mike Pettine:

1. Farmer didn't hire Pettine. Farmer didn't even interview Pettine before he was named coach of the team. It was former Browns CEO Joe Banner who hired Pettine.

2. Farmer also was hired by Banner. He was named the Browns assistant general manager in 2013. He was away doing a lot of college scouting at places such as the Senior Bowl when Pettine and others were being interviewed for the Browns coaching position.

3. So Pettine and Farmer really didn't know each other when they were thrown together on February 11, 2014. That's when Owner Jimmy Haslam fired Banner and General Manager Mike Lombardi. He then promoted Farmer to general manager. No one would suggest that was the ideal way for the owner to handle this situation. Haslam just fired Banner, who just hired Pettine.

4. Pettine was hired on January 23, 2014. So nearly three weeks passed before Haslam decided to shake up his front office with the firing and the promotion of Farmer. The point? Neither Farmer nor Pettine saw the shake-up coming.

5. Banner was CEO, all major business and football decisions ran through him. Banner received input from people on his staff in both areas. But he had the final say, and was accountable to Haslam.

6. With Banner gone, Haslam set up a new business model. Team president Alec Scheiner was put in charge of the business side. Farmer was placed in charge of player acquisition. He made trades, ran the draft and picked the 53-man roster. Pettine was put in charge of coaching, picking the 46 players to dress on game day and making all coaching decisions.
    Browns' GM Ray Farmer: 'My seat is no warmer than the day I got it' Cleveland Browns General Manager Ray Farmer met with the media soon after the trade deadline passed with no activity and shared his view of the Browns at the mid-season point. Dave Andersen, cleveland.com

7. It is inaccurate to say that Farmer doesn't confer with Pettine. Consider the first pick they made together -- Justin Gilbert. Pettine absolutely loves defensive backs. He has at least 10 on his roster. That goes back to his days in Buffalo and with the Jets. So it's unfair to say that picking Gilbert at No. 8 in 2014 was solely a Farmer decision. Both men wanted the cornerback from Oklahoma State.

8. I'll never know exactly how the decision to draft Johnny Manziel was made. Farmer has said it was his call. I have no clue what Pettine thought about it. Obviously, Haslam was intrigued by Manziel. But the Gilbert pick was a pure football decision. Gilbert's failure to become even a trusted reserve defensive back should be blamed on both men.

9. As Tuesday's trading deadline came to an end, it was odd when Pettine said he "wasn't involved" in trade talks that he was "in game-planning meetings." If Pettine means he was not on the phone with Denver when Joe Thomas was being discussed, that makes sense. There should only be one voice negotiating with the other team.

10. Pettine later was asked if Farmer "operated independently with trades," and the coach replied, "No, not at all." Pettine also said "Yeah," when asked if he would be "consulted before a trade." I sincerely doubt that Pettine had no idea about trade talks, as some media people have speculated. He may not have liked the idea of dealing Thomas, but he was aware of the general talks.

11. When a team is 2-6 and has lost 11-of-13 dating back to last season, there will be tension. When two men were tossed together in a football version of a shotgun marriage (as is the case of Pettine and Farmer), there will be strain when a team is losing. That happens even in the classic GM/Coach relationships when things are going reasonably well.

12. This is Cleveland. The team is failing on two fronts. Farmer's first-round picks have not delivered talent immediately ready to play. Pettine's defense has been a major failure. It is much worse this season than a year ago, no matter what stats you use. Furthermore, more players (Tramon Williams, Danny Shelton, Nate Orchard) were added to the defense. Fans and media like to point fingers of blame at one party, but both have fallen way short of what should have been expected this season.

13. You can blame Farmer for signing receiver Dwayne Bowe (guaranteed $9 million). You can blame Pettine for taking Paul Kruger who had 11 sacks last season and moving him around to the point where the linebacker has 0.5 sacks this season. Kruger looks confused. Bowe looks slow and out-of-shape. If you look down the roster, you can find fault that points back to each man, Farmer and Pettine.

14. The team's top picks have not performed well. Since 2009, the first-rounders with the team are Alex Mack, Joe Haden, Barkevious Mingo, Danny Shelton, Cameron Erving, Manziel and Gilbert. Trent Richardson and Phil Taylor are out of the NFL. Brandon Weeden is a backup in Dallas.

15. The above paragraph is a list of 10 first-round picks since 2009. They were drafted by four different front offices. The only ones starting for the Browns are Mack, Shelton and Haden. That's why Browns fans are so incensed and impatient when first-round picks flounder. They have seen so many recent disasters.

16. In case you missed a big point, there have been FOUR different front offices running the last EIGHT drafts.

17. Farmer drew the venom of some fans and media when he said: "How do we fix it? We continue to do exactly what we have done..."

18. That's all some people heard. It sounded like he meant to continue doing the same things wrong, over and over. I doubt that was his meaning.

19. Farmer continued that sentence by saying, "work hard, put in the effort, the time and the energy ... unearth better players ... unearth better opportunities for our guys and try to grow it as we see it."

20. I do wish Farmer and/or Pettine had said: "We have the bye week coming up. We plan to look at every weak area, on the field and off. Where we need to make changes, we will make changes. We know there are problems. We know we've not gotten everything right."

21. Neither man said anything close to that. The failure to admit the obvious hurts them in the eyes of the public. The record is 2-6. The top draft picks have not been productive. The defense has been one of the worst in the NFL. Changes in approach are needed.

22. About the trade rumors, Pettine said: "All that does is add to the adversity that you have to deal with as a team ... the equivalent of throwing a grenade into the locker room."

23. The "equivalent of a grenade," really? He later went on to talk about it being "part of the business," but it came across like an excuse. Well, the news came out before the game. The Browns were so decimated by it, they took a 20-7 lead against the Cardinals. They played one of their best first halves of the season. They were outscored 24-0 in the second half. I don't think the rumors had anything to do with the collapse since the Browns looked so sharp in the first half. Pettine has to know that.

24. I'm glad the Browns didn't trade Joe Thomas. Denver is desperate for a left tackle. The Broncos reportedly have tried to trade for him before. Does anyone think getting a couple of low first round picks in 2016 and perhaps 2017 would produce another Thomas, who is under a reasonable contract through 2018?

25. Listening to Farmer and Pettine, there is a sense that both men are stunned that the record is 2-6 at the mid-point of the season. I'm not surprised the coach and general manager are saying the team is "close" to turning the season around. They say that for the sake of their players. They don't want the players to think the season is a hopeless case.

26. But the second-half of the season does look grim. And the fans feel a sense of gloom. The Browns have been outscored, 58-26, in the last two games. That's the recent reality. As many fans said, "We have seen this movie before." They were talking about Farmer's movie references. Every new front office and coaching staff inherits the weight of the decades of losing that happened before they arrive. It has been like that for years.

27. Neither man had anything close to a good day when facing the media (and fans) on Tuesday. Pettine sounded exhausted. Farmer was on edge. No one in Browns town was happy about anything.

28. Both men know they are fighting for their jobs. They know the history of firings and impatience. They know so much of what they have planned has not worked out. They also should know that it doesn't take much success for the fans and media to embrace them. Just remember a year ago when the Browns beat Cincinnati and moved their record to 6-3. Everyone loved everything about the team. But it's been so hard for the fans lately, losing 11-of-13 dating back to last season.

29. The national media covering the NFL desperately wants the league to act like baseball and basketball near the trading deadlines, when lots of deals are made. The NFL never does make many deals during the season.

30. Rob Chudzinski has just taken over as offensive coordinator for the Colts. He was the Browns head coach in 2013. Pat Shurmur (2011-12) is offensive coordinator in Philadelphia. Eric Mangini (2009-10), is defensive coordinator in San Francisco. Romeo Crennel (2005-08) is defensive coordinator in Houston. So the last four Browns head coaches are all coordinators with different teams.

Much better than anything he has written as of late. I dig it. I highlighted parts I found interesting or that made a point.

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

As I've said before, they are joined at the hip and the decisions over the last 2 years to rid the team of good to great players in favor of unproven potential like Mingo and not as talented and past their prime guys like Whitner and 2 blown drafts tells me all I want to know about these 2 in the wake of a rapid decline dating to last year after a good start.
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing new here, every point was common knowledge (except for those with an agenda). This was probably doomed to if not fail have a very rocky road to travel to any possible success.

Either fire Pettine, retain Farmer and allow him to lead the search for the next coach or fire them both and start over with a proper structure. You cannot saddle a new GM with Pettine, he has to go and rebuild what reputation he ever had elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't get why anyone is upset.

The Browns have the collective balls to fail on purpose so that we can draft the blue chip talent we need to turn this franchise around.

The Kruger blurb says it all.

They may actually be reluctant to play Johnny because they think he may be able to overcome the defensive sabotage and bring us some victories.

Way to go Browns, I see you. One season be damned, you are trying to break us out of indefinite suckage and/or mediocrity.

Going to have to start looking closer at the top 5 college prospects, as this team desperately needs some franchise makers.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a great article. Surprisingly even keel, he blames both parties equally, and also senses that it isnt over, he thinks they can still pull out of this together.

Much better than anything he has written as of late. I dig it. I highlighted parts I found interesting or that made a point.
    Disagree. Terry Pluto does a great job of pretty much telling it like it is. He is pretty much sandbagged on this board because ... he tells it like it is!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brutalfacts View Post
    There is nothing new here, every point was common knowledge (except for those with an agenda). This was probably doomed to if not fail have a very rocky road to travel to any possible success.

Either fire Pettine, retain Farmer and allow him to lead the search for the next coach or fire them both and start over with a proper structure. You cannot saddle a new GM with Pettine, he has to go and rebuild what reputation he ever had elsewhere.
    I just don't get it about retaining Farmer. Why? The man is the clueless titanic of NFL general managers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Dawg View Post
    As I've said before, they are joined at the hip and the decisions over the last 2 years to rid the team of good to great players in favor of unproven potential like Mingo and not as talented and past their prime guys like Whitner and 2 blown drafts tells me all I want to know about these 2 in the wake of a rapid decline dating to last year after a good start.
    They are joined at the hip. With their common philosophy that wide receivers aren't all that important, both are the laughing stock of the NFL!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    I really don't get why anyone is upset.

The Browns have the collective balls to fail on purpose so that we can draft the blue chip talent we need to turn this franchise around.

The Kruger blurb says it all.

They may actually be reluctant to play Johnny because they think he may be able to overcome the defensive sabotage and bring us some victories.

Way to go Browns, I see you. One season be damned, you are trying to break us out of indefinite suckage and/or mediocrity.

Going to have to start looking closer at the top 5 college prospects, as this team desperately needs some franchise makers.
    I hope you are right. I'm just afraid Farmer is going to hop over the top ranked QB prospects and draft some fucking dick weed from Cock Suck Louisiana because he is "smarter than everyone else". I'm so fucking upset with this team right now I had to take a break from the forum. I knew I would just rant nonsensically.

Even if we get some top picks......I have ZERO faith in Ray Ray. I'm pretty sure he's a fucking moron who's trying to reinvent the wheel.

and Pettine?......my God!

That's your defense bro? That's your fucking defense? Jesus fucking A, man! It's a fucking ABOMINATION!!!!!

Sadness and Despair......there's no hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrahauden View Post
    I hope you are right. I'm just afraid Farmer is going to hop over the top ranked QB prospects and draft some fucking dick weed from Cock Suck Louisiana because he is "smarter than everyone else". I'm so fucking upset with this team right now I had to take a break from the forum. I knew I would just rant nonsensically.

Even if we get some top picks......I have ZERO faith in Ray Ray. I'm pretty sure he's a fucking moron who's trying to reinvent the wheel.

and Pettine?......my God!

That's your defense bro? That's your fucking defense? Jesus fucking A, man! It's a fucking ABOMINATION!!!!!

Sadness and Despair......there's no hope.
    I wish Ray Farmer would just hold a press conference, tell people he's incompetent, and walk away. That would be the proper thing to do to spare us more agony.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brutalfacts View Post

+1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    I just don't get it about retaining Farmer. Why? The man is the clueless titanic of NFL general managers.
    Exactly, I would be more likely to retain Pettine than Farmer. I was a Pettine supporter, and defense is his expertise? come-on man!

Post Thanks / Like

the franchise is in disarray once again despite what Farmer says or would have us believe. I think guys like AO, Nickers, bf1956, BDU and a few others should feel vindicated. They were right. We all wanted to believe the fresh start last year would be fruitful. And it could have been! But bonehead personnel moves by Farmer and Pettine, poor management and coaching set us back again! Un fucking real! Very frustrated once again as a diehard Browns fan.
    Last edited by johnnycomelately; 11-05-2015 at 12:42 AM.
    Cleveland Browns SuperBowl Era. I said it

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

This is absolutely amazing. Thank you for posting. This year one of my teachers took a break, and we were so lucky to get a teacher in who was looking to return to teacher after being overseas in South Korea for several years. She was way out of our league, and will be off to one of the more esteemed universities next year. I forget what her credentials were exactly, but she had a masters degree in English literature and several others that technically made her, no shit, a fucking doctor of words - she, however, did not go by doctor.

Anyway, she knew I was really enthusiastic about writing and I worked hard to make a positive impression, getting good grades and performing well in class. She really went out of her way to help me out, and taught me a LOT about metalanguage to help me understand my "voice" and what I had. Fuck the weaknesses, build on your strengths, right?

This column by Pluto is one of the greatest examples of metalanguages I have ever seen that states objectivity but is pushing you to an agenda. An amazing example is point 12.

12. This is Cleveland. The team is failing on two fronts. Farmer's first-round picks have not delivered talent immediately ready to play. Pettine's defense has been a major failure. It is much worse this season than a year ago, no matter what stats you use. Furthermore, more players (Tramon Williams, Danny Shelton, Nate Orchard) were added to the defense. Fans and media like to point fingers of blame at one party, but both have fallen way short of what should have been expected this season.
    It starts with "This is Cleveland" because this is your team, your city and your very life. Whoever you're most pissed off with at the end of this hates your city and you should hate them.

So, with that in mind, let's review both men.

- Farmer's first-round picks have not delivered talent immediately ready to play
    - Pettine's defense has been a major failure. It is much worse this season than a year ago, no matter what stats you use. Furthermore, more players (Tramon Williams, Danny Shelton, Nate Orchard) were added to the defense.

Hardly, seems fair, does it?

"Farmer's first round picks have not delivered" immediately shifts blame AWAY from Farmer. It's not "Farmer failed to deliver first-round picks who.." but his first round picks who have failed - not Farmer himself. You'll also notice it's only first-round picks that Pluto mentions, picks that Pluto has already placed fresh blame on Pettine for in points 7 and 8. He doesn't mention Ray Farmer's free agency signings, every other draft pick, undrafted free agents or choices for the 53 man roster. He simply mentions first round picks that he's already established Pettine is equally accountable for. Soon after you'll read point 14, and you'll see Pluto telling you that you're just impatient when it comes to first round picks.

"talent immediately ready to play" is very soft, isn't it. They're just not immediately ready to play. Not "struggling to make an impact" or must less "Who currently look like busts" but immediately ready to place. It's a soft version of saying "Sorry Farmer didn't draft guys who got to the hall of fame in their first year.

"Pettine's defense has been a major failure" gives us the easiest example of persuasion that exists - the adjective. It isn't a failure, it's a MAJOR failure. It isn't "immediately ready to have results" but A FAILURE. You'll also notice it's not "Pettine's players on defense have been a major failure" but Pettine's defense itself. This is the antithesis of what Pluto did for Ray Farmer, pointing blame at his first round picks (Whom he established Pettine as drafting!) rather than Farmer himself.

"It is much worse this season than a year ago" - same again, it is not worse than a year ago, it is MUCH worse. Additional emphasis.

"No matter what stats you use" implies anyone is actually saying our defense is better than last year. Has anyone ever actually seen it? Not I. That would be unreasonable. This is done to paint Pettine, and anyone defending him, as unreasonable. It'd be like writing "And before you say Hitler wasn't bad.." because your psychological reaction is to think "I wasn't gunna, I won't, promise!"

"Furthermore, more players (Tramon Williams, Danny Shelton, Nate Orchard) were added to the defense." finishes up with, well, defending Ray Farmer. Look at these players that Farmer got for Pettine and his defense is a MAJOR FAILURE. Really, Orchard and Williams have not been any good, these aren't major upgrade. Williams is worse than Skrine and Orchard is worse than Sheard. That's one reason why "More players were add" because it infers an upgrade without saying it. These players were added, but they were added because we LOST players. We did not "Add" players, we replaced players Farmer allowed to walk.

"Fans and media like to point fingers of blame at one party, but both have fallen way short of what should have been expected this season." we finish up with "Look how balanced and objective I am" in spite of seeing significant metalanguage used to persuade you, CLEVELAND, that Mike Pettine is at blame. The entire article is laced with these examples to the point that it's actually quite overt.

I won't do every one, but I have to point out this because it's so damn bad.

13. You can blame Farmer for signing receiver Dwayne Bowe (guaranteed $9 million). You can blame Pettine for taking Paul Kruger who had 11 sacks last season and moving him around to the point where the linebacker has 0.5 sacks this season. Kruger looks confused. Bowe looks slow and out-of-shape.
    PLG started a thread. BUD started a thread regarding the development of quarterbacks on a league wide scale that provided statistical analysis, breakdowns and projections based on what we could expect in the future.

When you read the above, two things have been used. Firstly, the context is greater on the second statement, and the second statement is placed second because both operate on the simple psychology of how we form short-term memory. As a result, BUD looks brilliant and who the fuck is PLG? Simple enough. (I bet that BUD dude is also incredibly attractive, and well hung.)

That's exactly what Pluto has done on point 13. He's expanded context on his second point to get you pissed at Pettine. He again does a 180 (As we've seen already) and alleviates all pressure on Farmer by infering that you can't blame Farmer for Bowe because it's Pettine who has him out of shape.

The best part of this is it's totally wrong - Kruger isn't being used any differently. If by moving around Pluto means "Swapping occasionally between taking on the LT and RT" then, yeah, I guess he's being moved around... the same as every linebacker that has ever existed. Incredibly few linebackers stay on one side of the field at all times, and I honestly cannot name any off the top of my head. How is he confused? His responsibilities are minimal. To anyone actually watching, Paul Kruger has been dreadful. He's not looking as strong or fast as he once did. He's not as quick off the line as he once was. He's still struggling with run blocking (Literally the reason Baltimore let him walk, they were not paying that price for a guy they only used as a situational pass rusher on 3rd down) and he's just overall not been very good, and everyone except Pluto can see it.

I'll put this here because I'd love to see it - Can somebody show me how Kruger is being used wrong? Almost every time I see him simply pass rushing, taking on the tackle. It's not rocket science. It's not even scheme. It's what every single linebacker in the NFL does for most of their careers. Kruger is not winning that match up. It's exactly why he doesn't have sacks. Has nothing to do with the coaching.

Most importantly, though, Bowe is Farmer's cross to bear. It was a pathetically bad signing, and trying to use Kruger to make Pettine seem as bad is just terrible. Nothing, at all, can subtract from that Bowe signing. Can anyone think of a single reason that signing has been strong?

Man, I wish I could take this to my teacher. She'd have a fucking blast with this. It's pretty crazy.

TL;DR - You're getting mindfucked by Terry Pluto, who is using meta-language (Persuasive language, nuance of writing) to manipulate you.
    Last edited by brownsdownunder; 11-05-2015 at 01:24 AM.

nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Both Pettine and Farmer are completely inept and uncapable of doing the jobs they were hired to do.. They are completely inept..And have no business holding a position , other than a coordinator postion , or coffee fetcher.. C'mon people.. They both "blowe"..
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was not impressed with Farmer's press conference. I am beginning to find him as disappointing as Pettine.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickers View Post
    Both Pettine and Farmer are completely inept and uncapable of doing the jobs they were hired to do.. They are completely inept..And have no business holding a position , other than a coordinator postion , or coffee fetcher.. C'mon people.. They both "blowe"..
    Telling it like it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycomelately View Post
    the franchise is in disarray once again despite what Farmer says or would have us believe. I think guys like AO, Nickers, bf1956, BDU and a few others should feel vindicated. They were right. We all wanted to believe the fresh start last year would be fruitful. And it could have been! But bonehead personnel moves by Farmer and Pettine, poor management and coaching set us back again! Un fucking real! Very frustrated once again as a diehard Browns fan.
    People say I'm negative. I'm just a realist. I'd love to see great decisions by the GM, great coaching by the staff, great execution by the players, but it has all sucked for most of the past 16 years! How can we hire coaches and GMS and players who are always this bad?

Post Thanks / Like

BDU thank you for that analysis. I read the article, and found it similarly frustrating but I did not have the time to pick it apart as you did (and probably not with as much thoughtful dissemination).
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    BDU thank you for that analysis. I read the article, and found it similarly frustrating but I did not have the time to pick it apart as you did (and probably not with as much thoughtful dissemination).
    Terry Pluto is a Northeast Ohio institution who has achieved his stature as the area's premier sports columnist because he is insightful, interesting and accurate a lot of the time about Cleveland sports.

I've read Pluto's stuff for decades and have bought some of his fine books.

That said, Plain Dealer columnists Hal Lebowitz and Chuck Heaton from bygone decades were the best writers about Cleveland Browns football ever, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I find Pluto's better than other local writers (Grossi, MKC) and I have also read one of his books (False Start). I typically like his writing but lately I have found he has been very stuck, shrouded with bias, and rather deterministic in his writing, especially when he gets going about Manziel...
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

You caught me BDU

I posted this article and paraded it as an "even keel" assessment knowing very well it was littered with subtle references to Pettines ineptitude and Farmers superiority.

This isnt sarcasm, I actually did that.

Bravo!

That being said... this post in itself is a conspiracy, one that you have stumbled upon my friend, and if a random fan on a message board is willing to go far enough as to conspire.. then 2 men with millions of dollars and their reputations on the line most certainly will.

I will say though, the article did in fact blame both parties..

and to answer your questions regarding Kruger.. Kruger himself has been quoted twice thus far saying they have used him differently this year and he hasnt gotten nearly as many pass rushing opportunities as he has in the past.

But I will honestly commend you on a post well done.

Keep flexin bro

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going over my post again and holy fuck are there a lot of errors. Spelling is terrible and a bunch of words are not the words I wanted them to be. I was on the phone at the time of writing it, and I took for granted how difficult it is to write and talk at the same time. Interestingly enough, I can type incredibly quickly without looking at the keyboard and without making errors if someone is talking to me or talking in person, but with the phone to my ear, forget it.

And I wasn't calling you out, PGL. It's just something I've noticed lately. We're getting to the stage where Browns journalism is already gearing up for the offseason. Coaches are the hot topic, and within 12 hours Manziel will be one way or another. As a result, the personal bias of the writers is really starting to show, and I'm picking up on it thanks to my fancy new edumacation at the hands of someone who was so fucking good it made my jaw drop on the daily.

With that said, back to football.

I don't think either Farmer or Pettine are doing anything elaborate behind the scenes. I think it's just simple. Farmer isn't good enough to consistently hit on players. Pettine isn't good enough to have a top tier defense without top tier talent.

I think they actually do work together well, they actually do get on alright, and there isn't nearly the tension the media likes to draw it up to be. That in itself is noticeable in language - Farmer refers to Pettine as "Pett" which shows friendship and respect, you don't call someone by nickname if you don't like them - you'll never catch BS or MTT calling him Pett. If Ray didn't like him, he'd use "He" or an official title, like "Coach." (Farmer sometimes says "Coach Pett" but that falls under the same category as the former, and actually conveys even more respect) Both men use the word "We" without slipping up and "I" without slipping up when speaking of their roles, which is statistically impossible across a whole year to fake. The way people use words like we, I, us, them, they etc is incredibly interesting if you actually stop and look at it. Both men are not afraid to admit there are differences and there are moments the ship isn't sailing smooth - You don't do that if there is a problem that cannot be avoided - It's like talking about differences in a healthy relationship, and ignoring the fuck out of them in a relationship that is already way past the use by date. Both men talk of the future, and their actions are indicative of an eye on the future, which isn't typical of a poor working relationship - it's a defense mechanism to focus on the present. There is little hesitancy when they talk - 101, but the "Um and ah" routine is very telling. Neither guy does that.

I could go on and on. Overall, I think they're fine together. I just think Farmer isn't all that good. I think Pettine could be good with a little more talent, I think consistency in coaching is extremely important and, perhaps most importantly, I don't want to lose Flip. The thing with changing head coach is everything changes and that REALLY hurts.

I'd still like to see Farmer gone. And fuck him for trying to trade Joe Thomas.

Post Thanks / Like

7/10 of my posts are ruined by my phones autocorrect changing words

Post Thanks / Like

BDU....nice writing...and I agree that the 'tension' is mostly media fabricated.

I am not nearly as anti Farmer as you...year 1 draft was based on another person's talent scouts and with only being in charge for 3 months...when the draft is a year long focus/job. Year 2 draft I still think looks solid. I think Shelton turns out to be pretty damn good, and Erving will have a distinct role soon. He was key insurance in a year the Browns seemed to think they had the D and running game to support a ball control offense...but he will likely have a full starter role next year.

With all that said...I hope Haslam sticks to his word and keeps them both around.

If they do fire Farmer...who knows if the next guy is going to include Pettine in the draft/decisions as much as Farmer has to this point. It may be going from the frying pan into the fire.

I prefer to give Farmer a second draft with HIS staff...and continue to watch the development of the players he has brought in...than risk bringing in some other guy who may have a very specific personnel vision that forces the young talent out of Cleveland.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.