Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 25 to 42 of 42

Thread: Terry PLuto Writes Best Article In A Long Time: Pettine & Farmer"An arranged marriage"

  1. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is absolutely amazing. Thank you for posting. This year one of my teachers took a break, and we were so lucky to get a teacher in who was looking to return to teacher after being overseas in South Korea for several years. She was way out of our league, and will be off to one of the more esteemed universities next year. I forget what her credentials were exactly, but she had a masters degree in English literature and several others that technically made her, no shit, a fucking doctor of words - she, however, did not go by doctor.

    Anyway, she knew I was really enthusiastic about writing and I worked hard to make a positive impression, getting good grades and performing well in class. She really went out of her way to help me out, and taught me a LOT about metalanguage to help me understand my "voice" and what I had. Fuck the weaknesses, build on your strengths, right?

    This column by Pluto is one of the greatest examples of metalanguages I have ever seen that states objectivity but is pushing you to an agenda. An amazing example is point 12.



    It starts with "This is Cleveland" because this is your team, your city and your very life. Whoever you're most pissed off with at the end of this hates your city and you should hate them.

    So, with that in mind, let's review both men.

    - Farmer's first-round picks have not delivered talent immediately ready to play
    - Pettine's defense has been a major failure. It is much worse this season than a year ago, no matter what stats you use. Furthermore, more players (Tramon Williams, Danny Shelton, Nate Orchard) were added to the defense.

    Hardly, seems fair, does it?

    "Farmer's first round picks have not delivered" immediately shifts blame AWAY from Farmer. It's not "Farmer failed to deliver first-round picks who.." but his first round picks who have failed - not Farmer himself. You'll also notice it's only first-round picks that Pluto mentions, picks that Pluto has already placed fresh blame on Pettine for in points 7 and 8. He doesn't mention Ray Farmer's free agency signings, every other draft pick, undrafted free agents or choices for the 53 man roster. He simply mentions first round picks that he's already established Pettine is equally accountable for. Soon after you'll read point 14, and you'll see Pluto telling you that you're just impatient when it comes to first round picks.

    "talent immediately ready to play" is very soft, isn't it. They're just not immediately ready to play. Not "struggling to make an impact" or must less "Who currently look like busts" but immediately ready to place. It's a soft version of saying "Sorry Farmer didn't draft guys who got to the hall of fame in their first year.

    "Pettine's defense has been a major failure" gives us the easiest example of persuasion that exists - the adjective. It isn't a failure, it's a MAJOR failure. It isn't "immediately ready to have results" but A FAILURE. You'll also notice it's not "Pettine's players on defense have been a major failure" but Pettine's defense itself. This is the antithesis of what Pluto did for Ray Farmer, pointing blame at his first round picks (Whom he established Pettine as drafting!) rather than Farmer himself.

    "It is much worse this season than a year ago" - same again, it is not worse than a year ago, it is MUCH worse. Additional emphasis.

    "No matter what stats you use" implies anyone is actually saying our defense is better than last year. Has anyone ever actually seen it? Not I. That would be unreasonable. This is done to paint Pettine, and anyone defending him, as unreasonable. It'd be like writing "And before you say Hitler wasn't bad.." because your psychological reaction is to think "I wasn't gunna, I won't, promise!"

    "Furthermore, more players (Tramon Williams, Danny Shelton, Nate Orchard) were added to the defense." finishes up with, well, defending Ray Farmer. Look at these players that Farmer got for Pettine and his defense is a MAJOR FAILURE. Really, Orchard and Williams have not been any good, these aren't major upgrade. Williams is worse than Skrine and Orchard is worse than Sheard. That's one reason why "More players were add" because it infers an upgrade without saying it. These players were added, but they were added because we LOST players. We did not "Add" players, we replaced players Farmer allowed to walk.

    "Fans and media like to point fingers of blame at one party, but both have fallen way short of what should have been expected this season." we finish up with "Look how balanced and objective I am" in spite of seeing significant metalanguage used to persuade you, CLEVELAND, that Mike Pettine is at blame. The entire article is laced with these examples to the point that it's actually quite overt.

    I won't do every one, but I have to point out this because it's so damn bad.



    PLG started a thread. BUD started a thread regarding the development of quarterbacks on a league wide scale that provided statistical analysis, breakdowns and projections based on what we could expect in the future.

    When you read the above, two things have been used. Firstly, the context is greater on the second statement, and the second statement is placed second because both operate on the simple psychology of how we form short-term memory. As a result, BUD looks brilliant and who the fuck is PLG? Simple enough. (I bet that BUD dude is also incredibly attractive, and well hung.)

    That's exactly what Pluto has done on point 13. He's expanded context on his second point to get you pissed at Pettine. He again does a 180 (As we've seen already) and alleviates all pressure on Farmer by infering that you can't blame Farmer for Bowe because it's Pettine who has him out of shape.

    The best part of this is it's totally wrong - Kruger isn't being used any differently. If by moving around Pluto means "Swapping occasionally between taking on the LT and RT" then, yeah, I guess he's being moved around... the same as every linebacker that has ever existed. Incredibly few linebackers stay on one side of the field at all times, and I honestly cannot name any off the top of my head. How is he confused? His responsibilities are minimal. To anyone actually watching, Paul Kruger has been dreadful. He's not looking as strong or fast as he once did. He's not as quick off the line as he once was. He's still struggling with run blocking (Literally the reason Baltimore let him walk, they were not paying that price for a guy they only used as a situational pass rusher on 3rd down) and he's just overall not been very good, and everyone except Pluto can see it.

    I'll put this here because I'd love to see it - Can somebody show me how Kruger is being used wrong? Almost every time I see him simply pass rushing, taking on the tackle. It's not rocket science. It's not even scheme. It's what every single linebacker in the NFL does for most of their careers. Kruger is not winning that match up. It's exactly why he doesn't have sacks. Has nothing to do with the coaching.

    Most importantly, though, Bowe is Farmer's cross to bear. It was a pathetically bad signing, and trying to use Kruger to make Pettine seem as bad is just terrible. Nothing, at all, can subtract from that Bowe signing. Can anyone think of a single reason that signing has been strong?

    Man, I wish I could take this to my teacher. She'd have a fucking blast with this. It's pretty crazy.

    TL;DR - You're getting mindfucked by Terry Pluto, who is using meta-language (Persuasive language, nuance of writing) to manipulate you.
    BDU, I won't say you are wrong, but...

    I think you are giving Pluto too much credit; I don't think he is that smart. It is just a case of Pluto having a particular dislike for Pettine, a mild dislike for Farmer and a desire to appear above the fray. Nothing actually nefarious was intended: Pluto had a column to write, it was what was on his mind and it just naturally came out that way.

    What we have in that column is Pluto's slant. But we all have our own slant on things. You have yours, and it comes out in everything you write. Grey has his slant and Shep has his. We all do. You can call it meta-language if you wish.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

  2. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,932
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Farmer needs to be gm and tell pettine to fucking coach.

    Farmer is letting other people get involved. Id tell em all fuck off...

    He needs to draft and get his guys.


    Running left...behind Thomas for the year......is 1.1 yard.


    Oneil needs fired of our d dont look good tonight

  3. #27
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BDU, I won't say you are wrong, but...

    I think you are giving Pluto too much credit; I don't think he is that smart. It is just a case of Pluto having a particular dislike for Pettine, a mild dislike for Farmer and a desire to appear above the fray. Nothing actually nefarious was intended: Pluto had a column to write, it was what was on his mind and it just naturally came out that way.

    What we have in that column is Pluto's slant. But we all have our own slant on things. You have yours, and it comes out in everything you write. Grey has his slant and Shep has his. We all do. You can call it meta-language if you wish.
    It's like a poker tell, it's completely unintentional. I certainly don't think Pluto is intelligent enough to design it as such. A lot of amazing things happen without intelligent design. (I couldn't help myself, and that was just downright fucking clever!)

    Like you said, we all do it. I do. You do. Everyone here does. The reason I pointed it out was Pluto, and PGL, very much painted it as a balanced and objective assessment of both men that equally shared the blame. It wasn't so due to the choice of words. That's what makes the metalanguage so important and interesting. It's why TV shows like Criminal Minds (FBI agents who catch vile criminals by building character profiles based on behavioral traits on the subtle nuances of their crimes) are a smash hit.

    My intention wasn't to say Pluto is acting nefariously. In fact, honestly, more so that phase where a student learns something and then thinks they're an expert and applies it to everything. But, it is certainly there.

  4. #28
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BDU....nice writing...and I agree that the 'tension' is mostly media fabricated.

    I am not nearly as anti Farmer as you...year 1 draft was based on another person's talent scouts and with only being in charge for 3 months...when the draft is a year long focus/job. Year 2 draft I still think looks solid. I think Shelton turns out to be pretty damn good, and Erving will have a distinct role soon. He was key insurance in a year the Browns seemed to think they had the D and running game to support a ball control offense...but he will likely have a full starter role next year.

    With all that said...I hope Haslam sticks to his word and keeps them both around.

    If they do fire Farmer...who knows if the next guy is going to include Pettine in the draft/decisions as much as Farmer has to this point. It may be going from the frying pan into the fire.

    I prefer to give Farmer a second draft with HIS staff...and continue to watch the development of the players he has brought in...than risk bringing in some other guy who may have a very specific personnel vision that forces the young talent out of Cleveland.
    Like a lot of people have said, we're 1 of 4 in the first round. If Johnny shows up though, that doesn't matter. Irving will get his shot soon (Although, who knows, Mack isn't going anywhere) and he could well be fine. That would make it 3/4. I can totally forgive the Gilbert selection - he's too big, too fast and was too good in college to not be an understandably attractive prospect. I think his issues are more above the shoulders, and it's near impossible to predict.

    That's just first round, though. I think we've been piss poor in free agency, the rest of the draft and player retention, all of which falls under Farmer's jurisdiction. With that said, I'd accept another year with Farmer if it kept the coaching staff intact. In a heartbeat. No hesitation. Farmer needs to do a better job, though, or he has to go. So does Pettine, but I think he's very capable of doing so if he's given the talent needed. A new GM might be worse, or have a worse relationship with Pettine, but we'd have to roll the dice if Farmer's selections don't start paying off.

  5. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People say I'm negative. I'm just a realist. I'd love to see great decisions by the GM, great coaching by the staff, great execution by the players, but it has all sucked for most of the past 16 years! How can we hire coaches and GMS and players who are always this bad?
    AO, there isn't a member on this forum that does not consider themselves and their position realistic. And I am sure that you do not have a corner on thinking you are the only realistic one here. I am sure that there are others. The only difference is that you are more vocal in proclaiming your unique realism. In other words, get real.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

  6. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    7,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just watched MKC talking about the game tonight....and almost spit my Dr. Pepper all over the screen.

    Her first comment was that the Bengals are susceptible to the big play...yet in the passing game they have given up the 8th FEWEST plays over 20 yards...and are mid pack with 40+ yard pass plays. She then goes on to say they are a top team in the red zone....funny thing on that stat is that 1 extra TD and they would have fallen to 12th...any time you are dealing with small numbers they can show major outliers.

    She then goes on to say they should go DEEP to Barnidge...again, do the research before you say stuff. Cinci has given up only an average of 9.49 y/c to TE's...8th lowest in the league. Sure, you can hit the short route on them, but not DEEP to the TE.

    I just get irritated by the lack of in depth reporting by the Cleveland reporters. I swear they watch ESPN and NFL Network to get their talking points.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.



  7. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's like a poker tell, it's completely unintentional. I certainly don't think Pluto is intelligent enough to design it as such. A lot of amazing things happen without intelligent design. (I couldn't help myself, and that was just downright fucking clever!)

    Like you said, we all do it. I do. You do. Everyone here does. The reason I pointed it out was Pluto, and PGL, very much painted it as a balanced and objective assessment of both men that equally shared the blame. It wasn't so due to the choice of words. That's what makes the metalanguage so important and interesting. It's why TV shows like Criminal Minds (FBI agents who catch vile criminals by building character profiles based on behavioral traits on the subtle nuances of their crimes) are a smash hit.

    My intention wasn't to say Pluto is acting nefariously. In fact, honestly, more so that phase where a student learns something and then thinks they're an expert and applies it to everything. But, it is certainly there.
    Good, and I agree that your line: "A lot of amazing things happen without intelligent design," is clever. Indeed, it is clever enough that I considered it for my signature--except I have just now adopted the Feynman quote which I also like a great deal.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

  8. #32
    nickers's Avatar
    nickers is online now Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Da City!
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    MKC has 0 credibility...
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP



    Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

  9. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    7,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On the Erving selection...here is an article that explains the thought process some, even if that was not the intent:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...nsive-line-nfl

    Erving will be in his second year in the offensive scheme, allowing him to become the OL signal caller easier, and giving the OL continuity for the 'likely' case that Mack walks...and I do think he will.

    That is a far cry better than scrambling this offseason to find a veteran or draft some rookie to take over the OL assignments.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.



  10. #34
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think Mack walks. He said he would refuse to waive the no-trade clause, and I think that's because he knows nobody will pay him what Cleveland is paying him. He's sitting on a $45M nest egg.

  11. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the Erving selection...here is an article that explains the thought process some, even if that was not the intent:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...nsive-line-nfl

    Erving will be in his second year in the offensive scheme, allowing him to become the OL signal caller easier, and giving the OL continuity for the 'likely' case that Mack walks...and I do think he will.

    That is a far cry better than scrambling this offseason to find a veteran or draft some rookie to take over the OL assignments.
    I disagree. You don't run your draft, especially in the first round, based on the possibility a player is going to leave, especially when you have critical needs at certain positions -- like WR, and OLB -- and need to win this year to keep your job!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by nickers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MKC has 0 credibility...
    I think MKC has credibility in her reporting, it's just that she is not that good of a writer.

  12. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    8,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Grey has his slant
    I am slantless, without bias, and always objective.

    Just ask me.

  13. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    I was raised by a toothless, bearded hag
    Posts
    1,739
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AO, there isn't a member on this forum that does not consider themselves and their position realistic. And I am sure that you do not have a corner on thinking you are the only realistic one here. I am sure that there are others. The only difference is that you are more vocal in proclaiming your unique realism. In other words, get real.
    #realquicklike

    Love the Feynman quote Cliff.


  14. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,932
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Erving needs to play.

    Id start him tonight over mack.


    Best players play....right?


    Mack aint playing near his level. Either his career is over...and we need to cut bait or he needs a wakeup call and this will do it.


    If erving plays good.....keep him there. Figure out what to do with mack then....bc playing guys who just wanna collect checks is why were 2-6

  15. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am slantless, without bias, and always objective.

    Just ask me.
    Uh...I guess that means that you and AO are two of a kind, or something like that.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

  16. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezrahauden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    #realquicklike

    Love the Feynman quote Cliff.

    Can't say I agree. People are entitled to their opinion but I disagree with many who argue here that the offense line is playing well.

  17. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't say I agree. People are entitled to their opinion but I disagree with many who argue here that the offense line is playing well.
    As many hits as McCown has taken lately and the fact we can't run the ball tells me this line is highly overrated. And the constant penalties? and for those who say McCown hangs on to the football too long..........his receivers aren't exactly getting open now are they! Should have drafted some WR's when we had the chance!
    Cleveland Browns SuperBowl Era. I said it

  18. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    I was raised by a toothless, bearded hag
    Posts
    1,739
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't say I agree. People are entitled to their opinion but I disagree with many who argue here that the offense line is playing well.
    I just liked the Feynman quote.....dude is a character. It had nothing to do with the Browns or anyone agreeing or disagreeing on the board.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •