Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What the Browns Should Do.. They Wont Do.

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well its obvious on Defense..Open your eyes .. They play these stupid packages instead of just digging down and playing football.. he's held this roster back plenty.. Remember at the seasons start.. based on last year.. We predicted this would be a stallwart defense..Now granted.. losing Sheared was a huge blow.. But thats no excuse.. We have capable bodies.. Kruger is being played out of pos.. Who does that fall on again?.. thats right.. Mike "fucking" Pettine!
    Hahaha. Can we be a little more specific?

They play these stupid packages instead of just digging down and playing football
    What packages, and how are we not playing football?

Remember at the seasons start.. based on last year.. We predicted this would be a stallwart defense
    We did, but that was 90% optimism. That didn't take into account Joe Haden playing shit and being injured. Tramon Williams being 1/2 the player Buster Skrine was. Donte Whitner taking a step backwards. Karlos Dansby taking a step backwards. Getting worse at DE with Starks beind woeful. Getting worse at OLB with Sheard gone, Kruger MIA and Solomon out for the year.

That alone is the entire defense.

We have capable bodies
    We have capable bodies, but we lack upper echelon talent. You were able to name one guy who would start for Cinci. And he's injured. One guy.

Kruger is being played out of pos
    He actually isn't. He's still playing linebacker. "Try ROLB because you can't beat the RT" is not playing someone out of position, and he still spends a good 90 of his snaps at LOLB. He's never actually played out of position. Now, if you can show me him playing QB or FS, I am happy to change my mind on this one.

nickers is online now Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    Hahaha. Can we be a little more specific?

What packages, and how are we not playing football?

We did, but that was 90% optimism. That didn't take into account Joe Haden playing shit and being injured. Tramon Williams being 1/2 the player Buster Skrine was. Donte Whitner taking a step backwards. Karlos Dansby taking a step backwards. Getting worse at DE with Starks beind woeful. Getting worse at OLB with Sheard gone, Kruger MIA and Solomon out for the year.

That alone is the entire defense.

We have capable bodies, but we lack upper echelon talent. You were able to name one guy who would start for Cinci. And he's injured. One guy.

He actually isn't. He's still playing linebacker. "Try ROLB because you can't beat the RT" is not playing someone out of position, and he still spends a good 90 of his snaps at LOLB. He's never actually played out of position. Now, if you can show me him playing QB or FS, I am happy to change my mind on this one.
    He's been playing back more in coverage than doing what he should be doing.. rushing the QB. He had 1 sack last night.
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

He's been playing back more in coverage than doing what he should be doing.. rushing the QB. He had 1 sack last night.
    I wonder about this.

While I won't pretend to have focused on Kruger's assignment all night long, when I did see him he was playing on the LOS either against the run or rushing the passer. Cincy threw underneath ALL night long and I can't recall seeing Kruger in coverage once.

Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and the giant ahole Pettine played a ton of the kids last night; forced or otherwise; they played. No acknowledgement of that so far in our little community.

Anyone see Gilbert's pass interference? Or his near missed tackle? Or his 8 yard kickoff return; quasi fumble?

Pettine's a dolt. Should have told K'Waun and Desire, "Sorry bro's. I know you guys have earned the playing time, but I gotta play Gilbert."

Post Thanks / Like

Continuity with continuous losing is not My idea of continuity...
    Nor is it mine! I wouldn't sell the team if I were Haslam. Unless you want to see the Browns in LA or Wimbley Stadium. However I would fire the FO including Pettin and get someone in here who knows football and what it takes to win.
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

Post Thanks / Like

Linebackers occasionally play in coverage. They all do. That's not playing out of position. That's doing your job.

I'd be interested to see how many of his snaps are rushing the passer and in coverage. I'm betting he's rushing a good 43x more than he's in coverage - minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think if Pettine is here next year, he will go into camp with Josh McCown as his starter. Manziel will run scout team with his 4 start experience and Pet will say "Josh gives us the best chance to win".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    Oh, and the giant ahole Pettine played a ton of the kids last night; forced or otherwise; they played. No acknowledgement of that so far in our little community.

Anyone see Gilbert's pass interference? Or his near missed tackle? Or his 8 yard kickoff return; quasi fumble?

Pettine's a dolt. Should have told K'Waun and Desire, "Sorry bro's. I know you guys have earned the playing time, but I gotta play Gilbert."
    This isnt high school football, bro.
    Players earn paychecks not playing time.

If Playing gilbert is best for the long term direction of the organization when the term is currently 2-6, then gilbert should play.

Post Thanks / Like

Pettine's specialty is defense, correct? And right now we have one of the worst defenses statistically, correct?

For having nothing to show for, I am surprised at how much defense he gets from people on here. It's not like we are ripping a proven winner, this is a first time HC who seems to be in over his head.

But it doesn't matter what we do with our dickhead owner running the show

Post Thanks / Like

Best hope for this franchise is the FBI

Post Thanks / Like

I'd happily be against Pettine if I felt like he was as much of a problem as the talent on the roster. We just don't have any good players. Coaching without good players doesn't lead to success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Browns next QB View Post
    Pettine's specialty is defense, correct? And right now we have one of the worst defenses statistically, correct?

For having nothing to show for, I am surprised at how much defense he gets from people on here. It's not like we are ripping a proven winner, this is a first time HC who seems to be in over his head.

But it doesn't matter what we do with our dickhead owner running the show
    If I were Haslam, I'd ask some highly respected former coaches and GMs to be part of the interviewing process for the new GM and head coach and give him quality input and insight. The fact that Haslam has hired all losers so far scares the hell out of me as we look at the next round of new GM/head coach.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder about this.

While I won't pretend to have focused on Kruger's assignment all night long, when I did see him he was playing on the LOS either against the run or rushing the passer. Cincy threw underneath ALL night long and I can't recall seeing Kruger in coverage once.

Anyone?
    In several instances last night the Browns, incredibly, had defensive ends cover the Bengals #1 and #2 receivers. I think o'Neil is on a hallucinatory drug.

Post Thanks / Like

The temptation to blow the whole thing up and start over is strong. I feel it. A big part of me wants to give in to that temptation because I am so tired of the losing and even though I know it won't, I feel like this time it might work. But I am hanging onto the voice of reason in my head saying to hang on and build on what we have in place here. It doesn't look good right now, but changing things again isn't going to fix all of the things that are wrong with this team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo930 View Post
    The temptation to blow the whole thing up and start over is strong. I feel it. A big part of me wants to give in to that temptation because I am so tired of the losing and even though I know it won't, I feel like this time it might work. But I am hanging onto the voice of reason in my head saying to hang on and build on what we have in place here. It doesn't look good right now, but changing things again isn't going to fix all of the things that are wrong with this team.
    Disagree. It's broken beyond repair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    In several instances last night the Browns, incredibly, had defensive ends cover the Bengals #1 and #2 receivers. I think o'Neil is on a hallucinatory drug.
    Can someone show me where this happened? I didn't see it at all. Granted, I tend to watch the quarterback.

I'm going to snap if a linebacker/DE dropped to a zone in the flat and a WR happened to run a shallow cross. Shit like that is very, very common.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Golic thinks it's best to stay the course. He's a former player not overreacting at this point. Sure, not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a knowledgeable opinion about this sport.

I tell my close circle I'd like to see this coach hang around for awhile. It's just hard to justify right now. We'll see.

If the younger guys are gonna play here on out, then I hope to see weekly improvements. That's my litmus test for this coaching staff. If guys play themselves off the team - Johnny included - then so be it. Makes drafting all that easier next year.

But, this FO needs to raise the rock bottom bar. This is unsustainable, especially for the business side of things. 'Well, you can buy a season package and then resale your tickets for a gain'. Who's actually buying tickets these days? Hello L.A.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo930 View Post
    I think some of us would settle on having SOME of it fixed at this point. So far they are merely creating another clusterfuck which is typical for the Browns at this point. It's just yet another team of a shit GM who inherited a shit HC who can't get on the same page with the shit GM who is more concerned with deflecting all blame onto his shit HC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    This isnt high school football, bro.
    Players earn paychecks not playing time.

If Playing gilbert is best for the long term direction of the organization when the term is currently 2-6, then gilbert should play.
    Players earn playing time just like at any other level in sports, "bro". Its as close to a meritocracy as you'll find in any professional walk of life. Just like pee wee, middle school, high school, and college the meritocracy is influenced some by other factors like people and money. Sure, we can allow for that.

But saying they earn paychecks and not playing time is the dumbest damn thing I've read. Most contracts aren't guaranteed. Most contracts, worth anything at least, come after you've a) earned your playing time and b) performed at a very high level.

Playing Gilbert isn't a black and white "best thing for the organization" decision as you suggest. If he isn't good AND not showing signs of growth (his biggest, most public issue of all) then playing him is detrimental to the organization; both short and long term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    Can someone show me where this happened? I didn't see it at all. Granted, I tend to watch the quarterback.

I'm going to snap if a linebacker/DE dropped to a zone in the flat and a WR happened to run a shallow cross. Shit like that is very, very common.
    I saw it twice on crossing patterns, once involving Green and the other time Jones I think it was.

Post Thanks / Like

I never saw a DE. I did see Armonty Bryant get torched, but we're talking about Starks or D. Bryant dropping into man coverage on Cincy WR's? I didn't see that. I think the DE thing is made up.

Post Thanks / Like

I never saw a DE. I did see Armonty Bryant get torched, but we're talking about Starks or D. Bryant dropping into man coverage on Cincy WR's? I didn't see that. I think the DE thing is made up.
    I won't be shocked if that's what it is.

That's nothing uncommon. Sometimes, a linebacker has a receiver run through his zone and he tries to go with him. It happens. I don't understand why coaches are getting crucified for it. It's not like we're going to stop dropping linebackers in to coverage, it's literally their job.

Like you said, we're not talking about Starks having Green in man coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    Desmond Bryant...

Was covering.. Mohammed Sanu...

Insane

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

Missed it but I guess I'll bite. I saw A Bryant for sure, but have no recollection of a DE in coverage let alone on multiple occasions.