Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Browns Secondary: A Bright Future?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Browns Secondary: A Bright Future?

Good column today by Terry Pluto of the PD about the kids in the Browns secondary, several of whom probably deserve more playing time. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ml#incart_2box

My own view is that Safety Ibrahim Campbell is really going to be a good one -- I like his instincts -- and a safety needs to have great instincts to size things up to be successful. Campbell also is an outstanding tackler on a team that has a lot of trouble tackling people. In fact, looking ahead to 2016, Campbell should be a starter at safety for the Browns. In addition, he's a very bright young man. Meanwhile, I'm very concerned about Whitner's deteriorating skills. Browns may want to add another safety via free agency if gipson goes.

I also believe the Browns are in good position at DB for the future with Desir, Gilbert, Charles Gaines and possibly the kid from Oregon, if he can recover from his leg injury. I do think Gilbert can contribute. Meanwhile, Gaines came to my attention at Louisville when I was scouting Teddy Bridgewater and I thought he was one of the best DBs in college football last year. He was a steal in the 6th round and played very well in pre-season. He has future starter written all over him, in my opinion. I t hink we'll see some strong competition at the DB position in the years immediately ahead.
    Last edited by AttackOffense; 11-07-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Copy/Paste the article for us here AO?

I think that we need someone to move in and replace Whitner/Williams and establish themselves for the future. I am not as down on the secondary as I am the front seven.

Pluto had a good write-up about the QB situation too.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Copy/Paste the article for us here AO?

I think that we need someone to move in and replace Whitner/Williams and establish themselves for the future. I am not as down on the secondary as I am the front seven.

Pluto had a good write-up about the QB situation too.
    Oops. Sorry. Here it is. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ml#incart_2box

I'll put the link in my other post, too.

Post Thanks / Like

IFO EKPRE OLOMU BABY!!

I am so psyched for him to come back healthy..

I BELIEVE!!!

We are bound to get some good luck eventually!

Him with Haden, Gipson.. Maybe Gilbert in the slot.. if he comes around.. campbell
    Last edited by PlaygroundLegend; 11-07-2015 at 02:12 PM.

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

I love your optimism PGL. Appreciate the article AO

Post Thanks / Like

Tramon williams needs cut. He will not tackle. Our cb not tackling in run support killing us.

Ifo ekepre needs to start.....gaines needs playing time. Gilbert needs play offense or somewhere.

Whitner needs to play linebacker. Hes done at safety. Campbell gipson poyer ifo gilbert.

Kwuan williams gaines ifo gilbert haden at cb.

Ifo needs to play.

Hell maybe use haden as fs. He aint top cb right now.

We need to tackle when they run the ball. Give us an identity. Young athletic and lay the wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Tramon williams needs cut. He will not tackle. Our cb not tackling in run support killing us.

Ifo ekepre needs to start.....gaines needs playing time. Gilbert needs play offense or somewhere.

Whitner needs to play linebacker. Hes done at safety. Campbell gipson poyer ifo gilbert.

Ifo needs to play.

We need to tackle when they run the ball. Give us an identity. Young athletic and lay the wood.

L

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgsDefense View Post

Ifo needs to play.

K Williams got beat pretty handily on a couple of plays in that game.

Pro Football Focus gave kudos to I Campbell, who is going to a good player. He may eventually be better than Gipson or Whitner.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the entire defense "could" have a bright future if we had a staff who knew how to call a game. Until that happens it will be more of the same.
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Dawg View Post
    I think the entire defense "could" have a bright future if we had a staff who knew how to call a game. Until that happens it will be more of the same.
    I think we need better linebackers but there's enough elsewhere to work with.

OconRecon is offline #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszlerweiler I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    Safety Ibrahim Campbell is really going to be a good one
    PFF agrees on Campbell:

One player to note, however, is rookie safety Ibraheim Campbell (+1.3), who put in a solid performance during his first career start. The Browns’ fourth-round pick added two stops to the three he recorded in his NFL debut on Sunday against the Cardinals, earning back-to-back positive game grades to begin his career on defense after only featuring on special teams until Sunday.
    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    PFF agrees on Campbell:

One player to note, however, is rookie safety Ibraheim Campbell (+1.3), who put in a solid performance during his first career start. The Browns’ fourth-round pick added two stops to the three he recorded in his NFL debut on Sunday against the Cardinals, earning back-to-back positive game grades to begin his career on defense after only featuring on special teams until Sunday.
    The only knock on Campbell is that his cover skills are just so-so, kinda like TJ Ward. But he has a nose for the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Just because I find it ironic and I love poking one opinionated bear in particular:

From July:

Campbell doesn't impress me. We should have used that pick to get Bryce Petty.
    Campbell is mediocre, a wasted draft pick in my opinion.
    And now:
    Safety Ibrahim Campbell is really going to be a good one
    Just a cautionary tale for anyone wishing to "prognosticate": use softer language.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    Just because I find it ironic and I love poking one opinionated bear in particular:

From July:

And now:

Just a cautionary tale for anyone wishing to "prognosticate": use softer language.
    Enigmatic Evil, you can see how this mentally imbalanced wacko Greythan starts it. Just this week alone he's probably aimed about two dozen attack posts at 3-4 posters. He can't stop himself and needs mental health treatment and subsequent medications. .

As for you Greythan I'll go back and find the hundreds of posts by you this year alone telling us how great the Browns receivers and running backs were and how great Farmer and Pettine were. In fact, many of the same things you are saying this week now -- to get yourself on the anti Browns management bandwagon with most posters after being the opposite for two years -- are nearly exactly the same things I said you viciously attacked me for in hundreds of posts over the past two years!

As for Campbell, I looked at his Northwestern play and wasn't enthralled thus my initial commentary. Now that I've seen him play for the Browns, my belief has changed and I give Farmer credit for bringing him in. But I've been mostly right on so many things about the Browns -- from my comments the running backs and wide receivers are mediocre -- to my belief Farmer and Pettine are terrible. While I predicted this team would be lucky to win 5 games, you said you saw 9 wins this season.

And while you praised Ray Farmer in dozens of posts for two years, remember my 2014 mock draft of Khalil Mack, Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr and Jordan Matthews.
    Last edited by AttackOffense; 11-10-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh AO. It was just kinda funny is all.

Post Thanks / Like

Enigmatic Evil, you can see how this mentally imbalanced wacko Greythan starts it. Just this week alone he's probably aimed about two dozen attack posts at 3-4 posters. He can't stop himself and needs mental health treatment and subsequent medications. .

As for you Greythan I'll go back and find the hundreds of posts by you this year alone telling us how great the Browns receivers and running backs were and how great Farmer and Pettine were. In fact, many of the same things you are saying this week now -- to get yourself on the anti Browns management bandwagon with most posters after being the opposite for two years -- are nearly exactly the same things I said you viciously attacked me for in hundreds of posts over the past two years!

As for Campbell, I looked at his Northwestern play and wasn't enthralled thus my initial commentary. Now that I've seen him play for the Browns, my belief has changed and I give Farmer credit for bringing him in. But I've been mostly right on so many things about the Browns -- from my comments the running backs and wide receivers are mediocre -- to my belief Farmer and Pettine are terrible. While I predicted this team would be lucky to win 5 games, you said you saw 9 wins this season.

And while you praised Ray Farmer in dozens of posts for two years, remember my 2014 mock draft of Khalil Mack, Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr and Jordan Matthews.
    AO, he is just trolling you. You are taking it way too seriously. Look, life is short. Calm down and smile. The earth is still turning. Global warming of the scorching variety is still in the future. The grass is still green and the sky is still blue. And, one day, the Browns will again win a game.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    AO, he is just trolling you. You are taking it way too seriously. Look, life is short. Calm down and smile. The earth is still turning. Global warming of the scorching variety is still in the future. The grass is still green and the sky is still blue. And, one day, the Browns will again win a game.
    Good advice but I wish Greythan and his fellow troublemakers would stick to general football discussion and not make it personal. They continue to hate me for saying things that have turned out to be mostly right! As I said before, we are all different and we all have different views and each person should be allowed to state their views without being ganged up on by a bunch of thugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice but I wish Greythan and his fellow troublemakers would stick to general football discussion and not make it personal. They continue to hate me for saying things that have turned out to be mostly right! As I said before, we are all different and we all have different views and each person should be allowed to state their views without being ganged up on by a bunch of thugs.
    Just for the record, while I might agree that there may be a thug or two on this forum, I do not agree that Grey is one of them. I consider Grey a friend with whom I enjoy arguing. He trolls me, I know, and I try to get him back when I can.

And, in the end, he and l, like all the rest here, are Browns fans.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    Just for the record, while I might agree that there may be a thug or two on this forum, I do not agree that Grey is one of them. I consider Grey a friend with whom I enjoy arguing. He trolls me, I know, and I try to get him back when I can.

And, in the end, he and l, like all the rest here, are Browns fans.
    Let's agree to disagree. He's a troublemaker first, Browns fan second.

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly found it hilarious, shit son.. we all get it wrong from time to time, no need to fly off the handle because someone points it out obviously trying (and succeeding) to get a rise.

2012 Barking Hard Pick'em Champion!

Post Thanks / Like

I too am really excited about the future of the defensive backfield with the youth and potential we see. With Campbell, Gaines, Desir. If Ifo can get back after recovery from his injury and maybe if Gilbert can ever get his head on straight. If we get some good coaching and development around these kids (I'm talking DB Coach and D-Coordinator), this could be a force to be reckoned with in the future. You've got two good veterans in Haden and Williams that can help show them the ropes.

I'll say this, the times I've seen Gilbert out there. . . he's big and fast. I really hope he can develop into something useful.

I might add that we can thank Ray Farmer for all of this youth potential, so while his 1st round picks are still in question, he's done a lot of really nice things elsewhere. This is why it's helpful to continue with a program / plan / regime for more than a year or two. . . we're going to chase Ray Farmer out of town only to watch the youth that he acquired develop under a new regime.

Post Thanks / Like

They actually have a team photo of Ifo..

Im excited to see him in training camp

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

The Oregon kid can play. We've got some fine young Secondary talent. Need better coaching, though.

Post Thanks / Like

missin TJ Ward