Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 25 to 48 of 66

Thread: Browns Secondary: A Bright Future?

  1. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I watched the interview with our DB Coach Jeff Hafley...

    and my god does he sound awesome

    He definitely seems like her can be HC material at some point.

    He would interview extremely well

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  2. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    7,831
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did he say anything insightful into the atrocious play of our secondary this year? Did he talk specifically about Gilbert at all?

    It would be interesting to understand his viewpoint for sure.

  3. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    6,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he say anything insightful into the atrocious play of our secondary this year? Did he talk specifically about Gilbert at all?

    It would be interesting to understand his viewpoint for sure.
    If you are interested in what he thinks of Gilbert, here it is:

    http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2015/11/18/browns-notes-secondary-coach-jeff-hafley-says-cb-justin-gilbert-must-earn-playing-time-with-consistent-work-in-practice/


    Not very encouraging.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

  4. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched the interview with our DB Coach Jeff Hafley...

    and my god does he sound awesome

    He definitely seems like her can be HC material at some point.

    He would interview extremely well
    Yes, the Browns staff has excellent talkers, including Pettine. To bad that doesn't relate to competence. This DB coach is incompetent! The players are performing are a lot worse than their talent level.
    Last edited by AttackOffense; 11-19-2015 at 10:12 AM.

  5. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    7,831
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks Cliff for the link. You're right; not very encouraging.

  6. #30
    nickers's Avatar
    nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Da City!
    Posts
    5,374
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Browns have a secondary?.. Since when?
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP



    Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

  7. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Although our secondary has been a contributor of the woe, I think it is still overall superior to our front seven. The fact that we're signing aging vets like Williams to contribute when guys like Gilbert should be is worrisome but overall, sure the future is always bright. To think otherwise is rather pointless when it comes to fandom. My biggest concern is Haden, which is the attribute that is causing his drop off. His injuries/concussion(s?)? I have heard hearsay regarding some FBI investigation but nothing in the media regarding it (not that I've looked). He has not been who we have needed him to be this season.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!

  8. #32
    nickers's Avatar
    nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Da City!
    Posts
    5,374
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although our secondary has been a contributor of the woe, I think it is still overall superior to our front seven. The fact that we're signing aging vets like Williams to contribute when guys like Gilbert should be is worrisome but overall, sure the future is always bright. To think otherwise is rather pointless when it comes to fandom. My biggest concern is Haden, which is the attribute that is causing his drop off. His injuries/concussion(s?)? I have heard hearsay regarding some FBI investigation but nothing in the media regarding it (not that I've looked). He has not been who we have needed him to be this season.
    Again.. Pet and Farmer are making the same bonehead dire mistakes that Mangina did.. And its failing.. BADLY!
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP



    Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

  9. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Care to elaborate your point there nickers? I don't really see how its being mishandled. Gilbert has been largely mediocre and is being outplayed by the players (like Poyer) who have been getting playing time. I don't see the comparison to Mangini who let Haden ride the bench for the sake of it, and Haden played pretty well when he stepped in.

    Edit: Mangini, in his brilliant football mind, had Brandon freaking McDonald starting over Haden. B Mac, for those who are curious, is now in the CFL... Gilbert has shown less than Eric Wright had to that point (who at the time looked like he might be a decent starting CB, then tailed off hard.)

    Edit 2: Brandon McDonald was cut from the Ottawa Redblacks, so he isn't even in the CFL. Granted he's a journeyman vet at this stage but meh.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Evil; 11-25-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!

  10. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bmac was better than Eric Wright bro...

    The bigger mistake was letting Bodden go.. he went on to have a solid carreer

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  11. #35
    nickers's Avatar
    nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Da City!
    Posts
    5,374
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Care to elaborate your point there nickers? I don't really see how its being mishandled. Gilbert has been largely mediocre and is being outplayed by the players (like Poyer) who have been getting playing time. I don't see the comparison to Mangini who let Haden ride the bench for the sake of it, and Haden played pretty well when he stepped in.

    Edit: Mangini, in his brilliant football mind, had Brandon freaking McDonald starting over Haden. B Mac, for those who are curious, is now in the CFL... Gilbert has shown less than Eric Wright had to that point (who at the time looked like he might be a decent starting CB, then tailed off hard.)

    Edit 2: Brandon McDonald was cut from the Ottawa Redblacks, so he isn't even in the CFL. Granted he's a journeyman vet at this stage but meh.


    Mangina is NOT a brilliant footrball mind.. he's failed everywhere he's been a HC.
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP



    Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

  12. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oil Country, Alberta.
    Posts
    14,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They both sucked PGL lol. I agree, Bodden was who I liked most of that group too. My point stands, BMac was mediocre, he always drew flags.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

    "Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

    WOOF WOOF WOOF!

  13. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mangina is NOT a brilliant footrball mind.. he's failed everywhere he's been a HC.
    Mangini was terrible as a head coach. Period.

  14. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although our secondary has been a contributor of the woe, I think it is still overall superior to our front seven. The fact that we're signing aging vets like Williams to contribute when guys like Gilbert should be is worrisome but overall, sure the future is always bright. To think otherwise is rather pointless when it comes to fandom. My biggest concern is Haden, which is the attribute that is causing his drop off. His injuries/concussion(s?)? I have heard hearsay regarding some FBI investigation but nothing in the media regarding it (not that I've looked). He has not been who we have needed him to be this season.
    Browns definitely have some talent in the secondary. Remember, very rarely do we see secondary players become great their first or seonc year. It's a hard position to learn in the NFL. Desir, Campbell, Gaines and maybe Gilbert all have promise in my book.

  15. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Tijeras, NM and Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    3,379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although our secondary has been a contributor of the woe, I think it is still overall superior to our front seven. The fact that we're signing aging vets like Williams to contribute when guys like Gilbert should be is worrisome but overall, sure the future is always bright. To think otherwise is rather pointless when it comes to fandom. My biggest concern is Haden, which is the attribute that is causing his drop off. His injuries/concussion(s?)? I have heard hearsay regarding some FBI investigation but nothing in the media regarding it (not that I've looked). He has not been who we have needed him to be this season.
    Couldn't agree more! It's been proved over and over that a good to great pass rush, makes average db's look great.
    God Bless America

    Worst to First Baby

    "Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

    "there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

  16. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know it doesnt mean much coming from O'Neil but...


    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  17. #41
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    974
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gilbert needs to play. I bet if he actually played 4 games in a row, he would be good. Especially, if its next year with a real pass rush and real DC.

    Where is Aaron Glenn?

  18. #42
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it doesnt mean much coming from O'Neil but...

    Kid could be the saving grace from the Tramon Williams signing. If he comes back healthy, he could be a legitimate starter across from Haden. I'd be excited to see an actual update but I suppose things will be slow going in preparation for 2016 camp.

    Ray won't ever look like a genius. He's the worst GM in Browns history, if not NFL history, but he might get lucky with Ifo.

  19. #43
    brownsdownunder's Avatar
    brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have heard hearsay regarding some FBI investigation but nothing in the media regarding it (not that I've looked). He has not been who we have needed him to be this season.
    Been some shit against the poor guy. There were rumors he and his wife had been having some issues early in the year. They seem happy enough but who knows.

    Personally, I think we were just seeing the one thing that Ray Farmer cannot see - Really, really good receivers are fucking hard to cover. Those touchdowns he gave up to Brandon Marshall in the first game got hounded but he had good coverage every single time, the reality is a 6'5" physical monster is really hard to stop. Same with Amari Cooper and the Cardinals elite receivers. He had a difficult run against top flight opposition and his confidence probably took a massive hit.

    More and more, we're seeing top receivers blow the fuck up and generate big plays. That's why the position is so important to 31 NFL teams.

  20. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, I think we were just seeing the one thing that Ray Farmer cannot see - Really, really good receivers are fucking hard to cover. Those touchdowns he gave up to Brandon Marshall in the first game got hounded but he had good coverage every single time, the reality is a 6'5" physical monster is really hard to stop. Same with Amari Cooper and the Cardinals elite receivers. He had a difficult run against top flight opposition and his confidence probably took a massive hit.
    Very good point.

    Injury and the way Haden wants to play CB has caught up with him.

    I don't believe he's been fully healthy for at least two seasons. He likes to be a physical corner and with the rule changes that's hard to do. Add in that he isn't as fast as he was when he came into the NFL and I think you have the recipe for his struggles.

  21. #45
    OconRecon's Avatar
    OconRecon is offline #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszlerweiler I am a Golden God!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chief BlueJacket's town
    Posts
    11,481
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yep, roll with every young guy you think even has a shot at being a contributor next year:


    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

  22. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bathroom thoughts:

    With the concussions this year, where does Joe Haden's career go from here? Can he still be a top tier CB or did we witness the start of his decline?

  23. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    6,893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Browns next QB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bathroom thoughts:

    With the concussions this year, where does Joe Haden's career go from here? Can he still be a top tier CB or did we witness the start of his decline?
    Good question...He is only 26, so I think he SHOULD be still good for another 2-3 years...but he may just call it quits based on the concussion issue. That scares me a bit.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.



  24. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good question...He is only 26, so I think he SHOULD be still good for another 2-3 years...but he may just call it quits based on the concussion issue. That scares me a bit.
    I'm a little worried we'll see an exodus similar to the Niners... without the success beforehand.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •