Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe why Browns staff not to keen to play Manziel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe why Browns staff not to keen to play Manziel

Not sure if anyone posted this elsewhere. Interesting breakdown of Manziels play against Cincy by SBNATION. Manziel lovers may not want to read, and probably won't read the whole thing. Joking aside if you read it with an open mind, the film speaks for its self.
    http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/10/9...ready-to-start

Post Thanks / Like

#1 they want to to keep their jobs
    #2 they see him @ practice
    #3 they have the film.. see above^
    Three strike rule
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

BDU gave a much better review than that asshats article.

That shit is more slanted than a 2 legged table

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

I judge QB's by wins the rest of the stats are pointless. other than what contract negotiations ?
    When we signed Josh McCown thought another loser not that he's not at 2-16 in his last 18 starts. but watching him this year has done nothing but prove this NFL QBing is hard... even harder to win games.
    He doesn't look lost out there like most of the past QB's or JF. IT'S JUST HARD.
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny is too short by his own admission. cut him! the experiment is over!
    Cleveland Browns SuperBowl Era. I said it

Post Thanks / Like

1) pettine is on the hot seat, he knows the only way he keeps his job is to win a couple more. He beleaves josh gives the best chance to win (now)
    2) if haslem were to approach MP and say ( dont worry coach, " if you start JM the rest of the way?" i got your back even if we dont win?)

personally, i want pettine gone now, the rest can be evaluated after the season.

Post Thanks / Like

As if almost all young QBs don't miss shit during their first 10 to 15 starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny just can't see most of the field. Sad ....but true.

Article doesn't seem slanted at all. A former pro. The all-22 doesn't lie. (and yes it was posted in the QB megathread yesterday)
    I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can Drew Brees?

Can Russell Wilson?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.
    I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Masters View Post
    Not sure if anyone posted this elsewhere. Interesting breakdown of Manziels play against Cincy by SBNATION. Manziel lovers may not want to read, and probably won't read the whole thing. Joking aside if you read it with an open mind, the film speaks for its self.
    http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/10/9...ready-to-start
    I think it's ridiculous to criticize Manziel's QBing in light of the fact he has a group of mostly bad receivers who drop balls and can't get open and no running game to speak of to support him. Any article that doesn't qualify their comments with that in mind is not worth reading!

Post Thanks / Like

Article doesn't seem slanted at all. A former pro. The all-22 doesn't lie. (and yes it was posted in the QB megathread yesterday)
    Manziel has started 4 games in the NFL! He's just learning the pro game! Such over-reaction! Just look how much better he got in one year! He could make another leap in year three and figure it out! It's called learning through GAME EXPERIENCE!

Post Thanks / Like

Too obtuse AO, but that's how you roll.

The article spends a lot of time dissecting his decision making. It seems focused on that more than anything. Waiting too long to make throws (e.g., the Johnson crossing route). Missing open reads for big plays (e.g., the Barnidge seam route in the red zone). Etc.

Were there plays where the receiver's lack of size or "elitism" factored in? I'm sure there were. It would be a drag on performance no doubt. However, that wasn't the thrust of the analysis. Dismiss it if you want, but dismissing and calling it 'ridiculous' because the author didn't caveat about our receiver corps just misses the point.

Oh, and there is the point that this same receiving corps (primarily Benji, Barnidge, and Johnson) have generally posted better numbers all season prior to the Cincy game. Either Cincy's defense is just that much better than the other good defenses we've seen or the inexperienced QB factored in. Maybe a bit of both, but Manziel was the obvious wild card.

I don't get the bashing of the article. Its pretty clear listening to the coach, the player, and that article's analysis that Manziel missed a bunch of reads/timing/throws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    Too obtuse AO, but that's how you roll.

The article spends a lot of time dissecting his decision making. It seems focused on that more than anything. Waiting too long to make throws (e.g., the Johnson crossing route). Missing open reads for big plays (e.g., the Barnidge seam route in the red zone). Etc.

Were there plays where the receiver's lack of size or "elitism" factored in? I'm sure there were. It would be a drag on performance no doubt. However, that wasn't the thrust of the analysis. Dismiss it if you want, but dismissing and calling it 'ridiculous' because the author didn't caveat about our receiver corps just misses the point.

Oh, and there is the point that this same receiving corps (primarily Benji, Barnidge, and Johnson) have generally posted better numbers all season prior to the Cincy game. Either Cincy's defense is just that much better than the other good defenses we've seen or the inexperienced QB factored in. Maybe a bit of both, but Manziel was the obvious wild card.

I don't get the bashing of the article. Its pretty clear listening to the coach, the player, and that article's analysis that Manziel missed a bunch of reads/timing/throws.
    Duh! How can one make good decisions when you are looking downfield and nobody is open!!!!!!

The last couple of games all you hear are announcers saying, "Browns receivers not open again," or "another dropped pass by a receiver." If the receiers were able to catch and get open and the offensive line including Joe Thomas could figure out how to run block, the dynamics would change and Manziel would be praised by you and everyone else! My reaction is "poor Johnny, if only he had a GM and head coach who understood the importance of good wide receivers and good running backs in the modern NFL game."

And don't give me this crap about Benjamin, who is much improved but still just a little better than the average NFL receiver. He hasn't scored a receiving TD in nearly two months!

The skill position players are a joke, the QBs have two strikes against them before they even hit the field, which makes what McCown and Manziel have accomplished look fabulous!
    Last edited by AttackOffense; 11-13-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would feel better if I knew for a fact that it was Haslam who demanded JM be drafted.

Its not like JM has gotten shorter since we drafted him.....

Petine has to know that it would be an absolute PR nightmare if he was fired any sooner than year 2 of his hiring.
    I cant say I was a Shanahan fan or hater.... But him leaving does not mesh well with the dysfunction rumors circulating the internet.

At the end of the day you either have your franchise qb or you don't.
    If you don't, then reload your draft bazooka and fire away. Again....
    just beat it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    BDU gave a much better review than that asshats article.

That shit is more slanted than a 2 legged table
    So which of the example plays he selected do you disagree with, or feel are "slanted"?

While BDU does an awesome job breaking down film, he doesn't quite do it as well as this guy who played in the NFL for 7 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on some of those plays, it seems even more of what the author mentioned, which is a lack of understanding of football 101. Sadly most of those plays are basic concepts that even the tutorials on Madden teach.

Sorry for missing it in the Megathread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    I think it's ridiculous to criticize Manziel's QBing in light of the fact he has a group of mostly bad receivers who drop balls and can't get open and no running game to speak of to support him. Any article that doesn't qualify their comments with that in mind is not worth reading!
    Clearly you didn't bother to read that full article and breakdown. Those samples are missed reads and opportunities. A "stud" WR doesn't make a lick of difference in any of those examples. In those examples you have wide open guys and the ball never coming out to them, or coming out way late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    Duh! How can one make good decisions when you are looking downfield and nobody is open!!!!!!
    Except in each of those examples there was somebody open, and wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

AO I have long been someone who tried to understand your frustration and I have tried to respect the time you invest in researching your points. Buddy, in this case you are off the track. snickers isnt a pro qb and he is never going to be. The quoted article is not biased and makes solid points. Come on AO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Masters View Post
    Except in each of those examples there was somebody open, and wide open.
    OK. The kid has FOUR NFL starts! Geez, maybe he might get better with just a few more NFL starts! Heck, even Andrew Luck has struggled quite a bit this year.

But there are an equal or greater number of plays where I saw Manziel look downfield and nobody was open! The Browns have about the worst collection of skilled position players in the NFL! That's why SMART teams DRAFT skill position players who are good to support their young QB and help put him in a position to succeed!

I'd also add that last week the Browns were often playing from bad field position, were behind in the score, and the combination of an inability to run the ball and inability of bad receivers to get open means more blitzing of the QB! It's funny how all this gets ignored by these so called "expert analysts" as well as people on this board.

Bottom line: with the weak supporting cast, it's really unfair to judge Manziel too harshly!
    Last edited by AttackOffense; 11-13-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brownsfan1956 View Post
    AO I have long been someone who tried to understand your frustration and I have tried to respect the time you invest in researching your points. Buddy, in this case you are off the track. snickers isnt a pro qb and he is never going to be. The quoted article is not biased and makes solid points. Come on AO
    Nope, not sure how good Manziel can be but I see some flashes I like. The supporting cast is horrific. It's like giving an artist a rock to paint with instead of a brush and then expecting him to produce something extremely detailed wondrous! Give Manziel Amari Cooper, Murray at RB and an Oakland line that can block for the run and the pass better than Cleveland's, and then I'd like to see what Manziel can do or can't do!

And while I am at it -- let me criticize Pettine for making Manziel feel like shit, just like he did with Gilbert, who could have been used very capably last year to return kicks or punts as he was one of the best in America at it in college. But no, the idiot Pettine keeps Gilbert on the bench not contributing to make his stupid points and the Browns kick return efforts in 2014 were total dogshit. And then fuckin' idiot Pettine wonders why Gilbert and Manziel go off the deep end. Part of the problem IS Pettine and his fuck face attitude!

Pettine and Farmer gotta be fired one second after the season ends! Thank you!
    Last edited by AttackOffense; 11-13-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, to jump into the conspiracy theorists end of the pool...

There is pressure on this organization to NOT fire yet another coach this early into his tenure. That pressure is probably even more acute when viewed through the lens of professional reputation. What others inside the industry would think.

Now, if a coach goes 2-14 all bets are off and another firing could potentially be justified. However, if said coach manages to go 3-4 or 4-3 over his final six games to finish at 5-11 or 6-10 a firing would be harder to justify.

Presuming Pettine is thinking this way; why wouldn't he start the QB who gives him the best chance to win each game, game by game?

The sad part about this is it all presumes either no communication between owner, GM, and HC or perhaps less than candid conversations to the degree they are occurring.

I would like to think (note: I realize this isn't always the case!) that the men involved ARE actually having frank, candid conversations. Talking about what is best for the franchise beyond just the next game. Talking about the QB position, the rest of the roster, what we need to do to best position ourselves for improvement and growth for 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1dawgfan View Post
    1) pettine is on the hot seat, he knows the only way he keeps his job is to win a couple more. He beleaves josh gives the best chance to win (now)
    Is going 6-10 going to make THAT big a difference over going 2-14? If those are my options I'd rather have the high draft pick. Even if they win out (yeah, I know, stop laughing for a minute please), 9-7 probably isn't going to be enough for a playoff spot.
    Inexplicable 2016 Barking Hard Pick 'Em Champion

"Thus we say, 'He ne'er contends, And therein is his might.'" - Lao Tzu, passage 68 of the Tao Te Ching, foretelling of the Cleveland Browns

Cleveland autograph count: 84 Browns, 164 Indians, 12 Cavs, and 34 Lumberjacks/Barons/Crunch/Force. 294 total.