Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 46

Thread: Worst Kept Secret in Berea: Pettine Doesn't Like Manziel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    L to the A
    Posts
    17,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Worst Kept Secret in Berea: Pettine Doesn't Like Manziel

    I'm cribbing LA's article talking with an insider, but the highlights were this:

    - Many within the organization (meaning Haslam, Scheiner, Farmer, assistant coaches) believe Pettine gets "too personal" about whom he decides to start. It's not just Manziel, Bowe, and Gilbert... also Orchard over Mingo, whom the source called "the best SAM on the team and it isn't even close."

    - The source believes Bowe didn't simply forget to play or couldn't be very solid move the chains guy like Austin last year. It's also known throughout the organization that Pettine shit talked Bowe for a legit hamstring issue, which didn't endear the coach to anybody. Now he's simply refusing the play him until garbage time.

    - The biggest issue, the one that probably gets Pettine fired, is Manziel. Virtually everybody else in the organization thinks he's grown tremendously and has show a lot of ability all year since he got out of rehab. He has more to learn and needs to develop but Pettine has almost made that impossible, choosing to give all the starter reps to a journeyman and "develop" Manziel by having him run other teams' offenses on the scout team. Self-fulfilling prophesy.

    - Manziel has the support of both Flip and O'Connell. If they were in charge, he'd be openly named the starter for the rest of the year. But Pettine has all but said he'd start an injured 1-7 journeyman over Manziel if he could limp his way onto the field. Some of the comments sound very personal and downright bizarre. They beg the question, "WHY???" But Pettine just won't come out and say it.

    - And all of this comes from one simple truth the source confirmed: Pettine never wanted anything to do with Manziel. He didn't like him at all in the draft. He liked several QBs better... not just Carr and Bridgewater but also Garoppolo. But once that ship sails, a smart coach has to work with his Heisman winning first round QB of the long-term (hopefully) and the Browns have done precious little to prepare Manziel over the past two seasons. VERY little. He gets very few reps in practice and little has been done to tailor the offense for him, which is the prevailing wisdom around the league.

    The idea that Pettine is some man of honor and nobility who would never do anything but for the greatest of reasons? I feel like we can let that one go now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    L to the A
    Posts
    17,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "You're going to have some of those growing pains. I've been there in the past with a guy (Raiders quarterback Derek Carr) last year that is having a lot of success right now. He did the same type of stuff early on as a young player. You just have to keep grinding with him."

    - Flip, proving not every Browns coach is so stubborn and idiotic. "Grinding" means playing him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I read that article too. It is stupid shit, I am on the fence regarding the kid and he might suck gigantic balls. Irregardless you got to start him and get him experienced and see if he can get it done. Pettine comes off as either stubborn as hell or there IS a huge power struggle as L.A. said in that same article and he's working overtime to make Farmer look like an idiot(which he is but still) and who is the culprit.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cleveland (Euclid)
    Posts
    7,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I sent a few ppl the article who requested it.. and u hit the nail on the head shep.

    This was a great post.. and you articulated it perfectly.

    Pettine hasn't devoted time and resources into Manziel's development... as other teams have done with carr.. bortles and teddy. Johnny has essentially been on his own from the moment his name was on that draft card... so alone.. yet surrounded by the masses.

    Only we could fuck this up this badly

    The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    L to the A
    Posts
    17,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm thinking we'll eventually hear a lot more about it, especially if we let Johnny Football go on to stardom elsewhere. Tales will be told.

    Seems like Pettine stopped hiding his disdain over the past few weeks. That sideline shot of Haslam, Farmer, and Manziel talking was SO telling. I just imagine them saying, "You're time is coming, one way or the other."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    L to the A
    Posts
    17,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My dream is we win and Manziel plays well, has 2 of our 3 wins!

    But winning at Pittsburgh makes legends. No possible way you could sit him after that. I think Pettine would have to coach from a private bunker.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    L to the A
    Posts
    17,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    David Carr agrees:



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let's see what he can do on Sunday. Two half's of consistency would help him in many regards. He'll need Duke for two half's as well. It's Pittsburgh so hopefully some trickery in there, too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vegas
    Posts
    2,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh sex
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

    the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    7,693
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Whatever.

    Adkins reported stuff is less than reliable. I mean seriously, materially less than reliable.

    I also want to 'fight this news' because I hate the idea of starting over at coach.

    It is bizzare as hell though. It has to be something along these lines or alternatively something with Manziel. Manziel hasn't given much indication of football related problems on his end being dedicated, hard working, etc by all accounts.

    We'll see I guess.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vegas
    Posts
    2,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pettine's job is to win games. he does what he thinks is best to do that job. he's not winning games. anything more than that is ................
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

    the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    5,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmadworld View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pettine's job is to win games. he does what he thinks is best to do that job. he's not winning games. anything more than that is ................
    I disagree. I think the primary job of the head coach of a losing team is to build a winner.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I remember somebody being ridiculed for suggesting that leadership was absolutely terrible and a significant contributing factor to last year (not just manziel-but yes, manziel)

    This guy is a joke. The results are in
    Look at the defense. Put manziel aside...
    That defense is inexcusable.

    The only reason anyone ever liked this clown was:
    1. He had a bald head and a goatee
    2. Always had a slight attitude towards manziel

    That's it.

    Well, I forgot... He beat the worst teams in the NFL to start the season before face planting at the end of the year.

    No one in their right mind should trust pettine to lead a team with manziel on the field. He's invested heavily in manziels failure. The guy is fired already, all he has now is the hope he can set up a manziel/farmer scapegoat.

    Because again, his defense is a pile of soiled diapers in an old folks home.

    You don't get jobs as a defensive guy when you had the worst rushing defense two years in a row. The guy will be lucky to get a position job after this.

    As far as manziel, it's absolutely ridiculous to look at last weeks performance from him as glass half empty.

    He did things on the field very few quarterbacks can do. Very few.

    And apparently it's impossible for him to go to check downs? Dude was throwing 20 yard strikes on the run and everyone is upset about him not going to the flat.

    Personally, I think it's because he's gone rouge-because he hates pettine and doesn't trust him. Knows pettine wants to limit him.

    Everyone excuses pettines selfishness as him "fighting for his job"... Well, that's universal. If pet can be selfish, then manziel can be selfish.. Awesome leadership.

    Manziel knows if he can show flashes then he will get another shot somewhere else. Playing pets patsy won't do that for him.

    And no one should blame him for that after last years game plan for the kid. Or the Tennessee game for that matter.

    It's always something. He fumbles (no history of it) He has a weak arm (no history of it)

    And now we've gotten to the point he doesn't hit his first read in one breath then all he can do is hit his first read in the next.

    And on this "the Browns know what they have in manziel"... That's funny.

    Because apparently 10 other teams knew what they had in mccown when they let him walk.

    I've seen enough on the field this year to know that kid could be special. Could being the key word there.

    If you can't se the glass half full perspective on this kid.. This isn't about football to you.

    But I guess that is expected from certain folks who like a coach because of the way he looks.

    It's really odd how every time manziel does something that gives hope... The interwebs rushes to discredit it.

    It's buzzare actually.

    When someone complains about a touchdown pass from a 22 year old in his 4th start against a undefeated team.. it doesn't pass my smell test.

    People who hunt for Bigfoot see Bigfoot tracks.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    All the fault of the coach. Players know best.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm cribbing LA's article talking with an insider, but the highlights were this:

    - Many within the organization (meaning Haslam, Scheiner, Farmer, assistant coaches) believe Pettine gets "too personal" about whom he decides to start. It's not just Manziel, Bowe, and Gilbert... also Orchard over Mingo, whom the source called "the best SAM on the team and it isn't even close."

    - The source believes Bowe didn't simply forget to play or couldn't be very solid move the chains guy like Austin last year. It's also known throughout the organization that Pettine shit talked Bowe for a legit hamstring issue, which didn't endear the coach to anybody. Now he's simply refusing the play him until garbage time.

    - The biggest issue, the one that probably gets Pettine fired, is Manziel. Virtually everybody else in the organization thinks he's grown tremendously and has show a lot of ability all year since he got out of rehab. He has more to learn and needs to develop but Pettine has almost made that impossible, choosing to give all the starter reps to a journeyman and "develop" Manziel by having him run other teams' offenses on the scout team. Self-fulfilling prophesy.

    - Manziel has the support of both Flip and O'Connell. If they were in charge, he'd be openly named the starter for the rest of the year. But Pettine has all but said he'd start an injured 1-7 journeyman over Manziel if he could limp his way onto the field. Some of the comments sound very personal and downright bizarre. They beg the question, "WHY???" But Pettine just won't come out and say it.

    - And all of this comes from one simple truth the source confirmed: Pettine never wanted anything to do with Manziel. He didn't like him at all in the draft. He liked several QBs better... not just Carr and Bridgewater but also Garoppolo. But once that ship sails, a smart coach has to work with his Heisman winning first round QB of the long-term (hopefully) and the Browns have done precious little to prepare Manziel over the past two seasons. VERY little. He gets very few reps in practice and little has been done to tailor the offense for him, which is the prevailing wisdom around the league.

    The idea that Pettine is some man of honor and nobility who would never do anything but for the greatest of reasons? I feel like we can let that one go now.
    Pettine definitely in the "worst coaches in Browns history" discussion. It's a long list ....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm cribbing LA's article talking with an insider, but the highlights were this:

    - Many within the organization (meaning Haslam, Scheiner, Farmer, assistant coaches) believe Pettine gets "too personal" about whom he decides to start. It's not just Manziel, Bowe, and Gilbert... also Orchard over Mingo, whom the source called "the best SAM on the team and it isn't even close."

    - The source believes Bowe didn't simply forget to play or couldn't be very solid move the chains guy like Austin last year. It's also known throughout the organization that Pettine shit talked Bowe for a legit hamstring issue, which didn't endear the coach to anybody. Now he's simply refusing the play him until garbage time.

    - The biggest issue, the one that probably gets Pettine fired, is Manziel. Virtually everybody else in the organization thinks he's grown tremendously and has show a lot of ability all year since he got out of rehab. He has more to learn and needs to develop but Pettine has almost made that impossible, choosing to give all the starter reps to a journeyman and "develop" Manziel by having him run other teams' offenses on the scout team. Self-fulfilling prophesy.

    - Manziel has the support of both Flip and O'Connell. If they were in charge, he'd be openly named the starter for the rest of the year. But Pettine has all but said he'd start an injured 1-7 journeyman over Manziel if he could limp his way onto the field. Some of the comments sound very personal and downright bizarre. They beg the question, "WHY???" But Pettine just won't come out and say it.

    - And all of this comes from one simple truth the source confirmed: Pettine never wanted anything to do with Manziel. He didn't like him at all in the draft. He liked several QBs better... not just Carr and Bridgewater but also Garoppolo. But once that ship sails, a smart coach has to work with his Heisman winning first round QB of the long-term (hopefully) and the Browns have done precious little to prepare Manziel over the past two seasons. VERY little. He gets very few reps in practice and little has been done to tailor the offense for him, which is the prevailing wisdom around the league.

    The idea that Pettine is some man of honor and nobility who would never do anything but for the greatest of reasons? I feel like we can let that one go now.
    Pettine definitely in the "worst coaches in Browns history" discussion. It's a long list ....

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Only in Cleveland you could find a defense for a coach that has a 2-12 record in his last 14 games or a 36 year old 2-18 QB in his last 20 starts.

    This is the picture of utter insanity.

  17. #17
    nickers's Avatar
    nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Da City!
    Posts
    5,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just get rid of both JM and Pettine.. then all your problems are gone... Theyre both complete idiots.
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP



    Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd like to hear from this psycho on the matter

    Change player names where appropriate

    Last edited by British_Browns_Bulldog; 11-15-2015 at 09:25 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    your toolbox
    Posts
    5,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just get rid of both JM and Pettine.. then all your problems are gone... Theyre both complete idiots.
    Then what?? it sucks that it appears were headed into ANOTHER blowup again... Like Grey said, im fighting it... don't want to start all over again...

    Browns 34-10 uh huh!!
    just beat it

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    7,693
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember somebody being ridiculed for suggesting that leadership was absolutely terrible and a significant contributing factor to last year (not just manziel-but yes, manziel)

    This guy is a joke. The results are in
    Look at the defense. Put manziel aside...
    That defense is inexcusable.

    The only reason anyone ever liked this clown was:
    1. He had a bald head and a goatee
    2. Always had a slight attitude towards manziel

    That's it.

    Well, I forgot... He beat the worst teams in the NFL to start the season before face planting at the end of the year.

    No one in their right mind should trust pettine to lead a team with manziel on the field. He's invested heavily in manziels failure. The guy is fired already, all he has now is the hope he can set up a manziel/farmer scapegoat.

    Because again, his defense is a pile of soiled diapers in an old folks home.

    You don't get jobs as a defensive guy when you had the worst rushing defense two years in a row. The guy will be lucky to get a position job after this.

    As far as manziel, it's absolutely ridiculous to look at last weeks performance from him as glass half empty.

    He did things on the field very few quarterbacks can do. Very few.

    And apparently it's impossible for him to go to check downs? Dude was throwing 20 yard strikes on the run and everyone is upset about him not going to the flat.

    Personally, I think it's because he's gone rouge-because he hates pettine and doesn't trust him. Knows pettine wants to limit him.

    Everyone excuses pettines selfishness as him "fighting for his job"... Well, that's universal. If pet can be selfish, then manziel can be selfish.. Awesome leadership.

    Manziel knows if he can show flashes then he will get another shot somewhere else. Playing pets patsy won't do that for him.

    And no one should blame him for that after last years game plan for the kid. Or the Tennessee game for that matter.

    It's always something. He fumbles (no history of it) He has a weak arm (no history of it)

    And now we've gotten to the point he doesn't hit his first read in one breath then all he can do is hit his first read in the next.

    And on this "the Browns know what they have in manziel"... That's funny.

    Because apparently 10 other teams knew what they had in mccown when they let him walk.

    I've seen enough on the field this year to know that kid could be special. Could being the key word there.

    If you can't se the glass half full perspective on this kid.. This isn't about football to you.

    But I guess that is expected from certain folks who like a coach because of the way he looks.

    It's really odd how every time manziel does something that gives hope... The interwebs rushes to discredit it.

    It's buzzare actually.

    When someone complains about a touchdown pass from a 22 year old in his 4th start against a undefeated team.. it doesn't pass my smell test.

    People who hunt for Bigfoot see Bigfoot tracks.
    I thought you were staying away until you brought back BDU. Without him to counter you this just isn't going to be enjoyable.

  21. #21
    nickers's Avatar
    nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Da City!
    Posts
    5,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then what?? it sucks that it appears were headed into ANOTHER blowup again... Like Grey said, im fighting it... don't want to start all over again...

    Browns 34-10 uh huh!!

    Hammer... I'm to the point I don't care anymore.. in reality.. The best thing that could happen is for Haslam to sell the franchise.. He is beyond abysmal for a team owner.
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP



    Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brutalfacts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only in Cleveland you could find a defense for a coach that has a 2-12 record in his last 14 games or a 36 year old 2-18 QB in his last 20 starts.

    This is the picture of utter insanity.
    Well, "insanity" is in large type in the cloud of words used to describe the past 15 years of Cleveland Browns football. The other major word is "dysfunctional."

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Even this forum's fan favorite is in touch with not reality but potentially something good. Coaches should know best but Idk anymore?? He won't let Bowe, an outsider, fly. But, he'll let McCown, an outsider, fly?

    http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...johnny-manziel

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by British_Browns_Bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like to hear from this psycho on the matter

    Change player names where appropriate

    LOL! How do you know this isn't ME!!!!!

    I hope Greythan, Shep and Hammer watch this!!!!!!

    But, seriously, this is how long time Browns fans feel ... totally letdown.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •