View Poll Results: Did Johnny Manziel do enough today to earn his starting spot NEXT YEAR and for us NOT to draft a QB

Voters
104. This poll is closed
  • Yes

63 60.58%
  • No

41 39.42%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Manziel 33/45 73% comp 372 yds passing 17 yds rushing 1 PATD 1 INT - The beginning of the future?

Post Thanks / Like

Manziel to start this year - yes
    Manziel to start next year - need to see how the rest of this year goes

---

Whoever the starter is, they'll need a running game to balance with the passing game. And a defense. #ThanksCaptainObvious

Coaching changes needed (starting with O'Neil), 2 legit FA's and 2 highly drafted skill guys for the offense, and a new GM. That's how I'd start to fix the Browns.

For the rest of the year, more Manziel, even more Duke, and a little Bibbs. Cut fat-Bowe. Keep playing the young guys on D.
    2017 Draft picks: #1, #12, #33, #52, #65, #108, #145, #175, #181, #185, #188 - 11 total
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - Two in 2nd (Eagles/Wentz & Texans/Osweiler), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 11 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, S. Coleman, Kessler, Drango, Kindred, 2017 #12 (Eagles) & #52 (Titans), 2018 2nd rnd (Eagles) pick
    Draft: 4/28-30, Rookie MiniCamp: 5/12-14, OTA's: 5/23-6/8, Veteran MiniCamp: 6/13-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most of the cautionary posts regarding Manziel are simply voices of reason asking that we see some more before declaring him the answer.
    Well. . . there's a lot of JFF will never amount to anything posts too.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted yes, but I already didn't want them using a very high 1st rounder on another QB in 2016. The team just is sorely lacking in other areas.

WR: I wouldn't be upset if they drafted 2 of them with their first two picks next year.
    RB: I like DJ and IC but not sure either is a 3 down back (hard to tell with the craptastic run blocking). But let's face it; if either was a 3-down type they would have been drafted in the 1st round by somebody else. So if you don't have one of those and one shows up in your draft you have to seriously consider it.
    LB: Need a serious talent upgrade

Combine these blatant holes (in particular, WR & LB) with the fact they have already spent a 1st rounder on a qb recently and it just does not make sense to get another one so quickly when their first rounder they already have has 5 starts now under his belt. But then again, I don't doubt Manziel's ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    Manziel to start this year - yes
    Manziel to start next year - need to see how the rest of this year goes
    At least he has proven he can play in the league. There's no way the Browns should spend a draft pick on a QB.

Seriously. . . we have almost no pass rush.

Our linebackers are not good.

Our secondary is in shambles.

We can't run the ball.

Penetration against our offensive line is incredible.

Hopefully we get Gordon back and he's "right."

Then we can draft for defense early and a RB and then maybe a playmaker.

I sure love that kid from Baylor: Corey Coleman. He's going to be a great pro, so fast and strong and tough.
    Last edited by Martin Eden; 11-15-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what to make of Irving but I will defend him in that he was drafted as a center, this coaching staff has had him practice all up and down the line and his first start he is put at guard. Maybe he is just a center and needs practice and reps there to become an NFL caliber one.

Post Thanks / Like

As usual this is a thread that should be here after the end of the season but it's Manziel and pgl so there's that. We'll have a much better idea after the season provided Manziel starts from here on out which I believe he will.

This is not in defense of McCown but a few here have noted that McCown's stats, while respectable, aren't translating into wins. Same for Manziel in this one. Granted Manziel can't play the o-line, keep our pathetic d from penalty after penalty and so on. You could also argue that the entire 2nd half was garbage time.

Whatever. He needs to play the rest of the way. I'm with those that don't want another 1st round pick going for a QB when there re SOOOO many holes to fill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by threesheets View Post
    I voted yes, but I already didn't want them using a very high 1st rounder on another QB in 2016. The team just is sorely lacking in other areas.

WR: I wouldn't be upset if they drafted 2 of them with their first two picks next year.
    RB: I like DJ and IC but not sure either is a 3 down back (hard to tell with the craptastic run blocking). But let's face it; if either was a 3-down type they would have been drafted in the 1st round by somebody else. So if you don't have one of those and one shows up in your draft you have to seriously consider it.
    LB: Need a serious talent upgrade

Combine these blatant holes (in particular, WR & LB) with the fact they have already spent a 1st rounder on a qb recently and it just does not make sense to get another one so quickly when their first rounder they already have has 5 starts now under his belt. But then again, I don't doubt Manziel's ability.
    I think this team needs to focus on upgrading ALL the linebacker positions, DE, WR, RB and an OL who can run block. That's a lot of stuff. From what I see so far the WR class may be much weaker and maybe we go for a stud linebacker who doesn't get pushed all around the field, covers a lot of ground, and tackles well.

Equally important, of course is we need people who can coach and a GM who knows talent.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what to make of Irving but I will defend him in that he was drafted as a center, this coaching staff has had him practice all up and down the line and his first start he is put at guard. Maybe he is just a center and needs practice and reps there to become an NFL caliber one.
    Actually a lot of NFL teams move rookie linemen around like the Browns have. Nothing unique there. I do think Erving can be a good one over time. But clearly nothing is working with the Browns OL this season which includes some fine talent playing nowhere near it's caapbility!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like Erving is another finesse blocker

which is a problem when facing these bull rushes

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

MANZIEL IS THE TRUTH

MANZIEL IS THE TRUTH

MTT BABY!!! Benji and Hawkinz still droppin touchdowns. Crowell dropped pass. No running game.

Duke johnson bibbs gilbert kwuan w cooper orchard poyer campbell gaines gabriel duke johnson and manziel need to be focal point of offense. Manziel needs to be able to run without being chastized. It makes him him...and dynamic. He will burn defenses. The hurryup needs implimented this bye week.

Bye week is perfect to completely make the switch to Manziel and work on linemen blocking for him moving around. Wr coming back to johnny or breaking deep.

Manziel is the future
    Duke johnson is future
    Benji is legit threat but not a #1

This offense with another real wr and big back plusjosh gordon will be able to avg 35. Manziel should avg 300 and 50 yards rushing.

Evanz had 125today.....manziel needs his #1. Josh gordon will have 1500 and 8td

Post Thanks / Like

Today was a great day for the Browns.
    We got much, much, much closer to a Super Bowl.

We're still Siberia away... But today we started the March.

Johnny has trade value now.
    Manziel for clowney? Something like that is possible if the new head coach doesn't want Johnny (meaning Haslam is ready to move on)...
    Or
    Johnny could be the guy and he's shown *substantial progress to warrant a full off-season of him being the guy.

*needs to continue to learn/keep up decent to good play to solidify that. He's gonna fuck up... But flashes are enough (especially considering the play around him)

And nail in coffin of pettine regime.

High draft picks coming...

We won today, men.

Post Thanks / Like

And the fact there wasn't a scuffle after that face mask tells us all we need to know about the culture within the team.

I don't care if I don't like you, your fcking my sister, you ran over my dog... If youre wearing the same colors with me in battle... We are brothers.

Post Thanks / Like

i just expect more from a first rd pick, Bitonio had a better debut than Earving. I expect to see Shelton flash like he did on the one play he made in the back-field about one of those a game. I've given up on Gilbert. Bademosi is terrible and Gilbert can't get on the field before him.

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Draft picks: #1, #12, #33, #52, #65, #108, #145, #175, #181, #185, #188 - 11 total
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - Two in 2nd (Eagles/Wentz & Texans/Osweiler), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 11 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, S. Coleman, Kessler, Drango, Kindred, 2017 #12 (Eagles) & #52 (Titans), 2018 2nd rnd (Eagles) pick
    Draft: 4/28-30, Rookie MiniCamp: 5/12-14, OTA's: 5/23-6/8, Veteran MiniCamp: 6/13-15

Post Thanks / Like

A few members of the Pittsburgh defense happen to be Manzealots..

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/ind..._steelers.html

Talk of "elite" scrambling skills, toughness, and the ability to become very good....nice compliments directed towards a player that some Browns fans aren't sure is an NFL quarterback.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't really matter tbh

After everyone in the building gets shitcanned, the new regime won't see him as "their" QB and we'll get someone else

The cycle continues as it is meant to be

Post Thanks / Like

He is looking good but his height make it more difficult. Is he still a growing person in height or not ?
    He need more playmakers and tall receivers.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted no only on the basis that I feel he should play the rest of the season to see if he is good enough. The signs are encouraging though!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to bring a touch of reality to this pile....when Josh had a huge game a couple of weeks back didnt all the snickerites say, "and we lost" "His numbers dont matter he played well enough for us to lose" Doesnt that apply to the precious snickers as well snickerites?
    Go Browns. Winning the Super Bowl will be the best revenge on those who laugh at us. I live for that day.

Post Thanks / Like

No i said he had a great game.....

BUT HE THREW A PICK TO WOODSON....GAME AFTER MANZIEL OUTSHINED MARIOTA WITH FIRST START AND TWO DEEP BOMBS. ONE TO SEAL IT.....

Is what I said.

Gordon back is huge.
    Duke needs moved to slot when crowell comes in if he isnt exhausted. We need to work that horse.
    Ifo ekepre needs to get starting reps at corner and then safety.

Gilbert should get starting reps at corner immedietely. See if he has flashes. Safety if not.... And see... And he can punt and kick return.

Pierre desir needs cut or bademosi

Gaines campbell poyer kwuan gipson all need playingtime with Gilbert. Whitner done. Haden done.
    No reason to play either??? I may cut whitner if wont still hurt bad next year. We got talent and He is old slow and a "cleveland vet" . This needs to be Johnny....and duke....and flashs team. Bitonio...shelton...gipson if resigned and kwuan barnidge guys.

Kruger if he cant produce next year in different system and coach gone. Desmond bryant needs contract restructured or gone. Armonty bryant needs to produce.....and no bonehead plays like today or gone.
    Meder needs to start or get alot of rotation reps...cooper too.
    Kruger needs play de i think. He can play it.... Dansby too.

Mingo play ilb and blitz move around alot and cover man to man or zone. He can be a great lb if he was used that way ilb slash olb. He just too small to set an edge so safeties need to come down and fill fast,BUT OUR SAFETIES PLAY 10 plus yards need. 15 on 3rd AND LONG#! WHY HAVE WHITNER A RUN STOPPING SAFETY IF YOU FUCKIN PLAY HIM 14 yards deep? BLITZ KWUAN ON A DELAY....NEVER GETS THERE JUST LEAVES SLOT OPEN TO CUT AND MAKE SAFETY MISS WHO GOT THERE LATE AND BE GONE.

Jim oneil and no pass rush or allpro linebackers. Secondary is not playing well since cant hold or pass interfere. Our offense leads league in 3and outs

Post Thanks / Like

Comparing the performance of a 36 year old McCown versus that of a 22 year old former 1st round pick. Wow, that's the first false equivolance that I've encountered this week and surely not to be topped!

It looks to me like Snickers might have the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

For the umpteenth time...

Yes, McCown has had games where he puts up great numbers, but had no support around.

Yes, Manziel had the same type of thing happen yesterday.

But McCown isn't the future in any way shape or form! He's not!! That's it!!! The end!!!!

We know McCown's ceiling and father time is knocking at his door. He was only the bridge starter to either Manziel or a soon upcoming draft choice.

The line "our QB is doing well, we just need to get better skill players around him, have a running game, and fix the D" applies to Manziel, but does not apply to McCown. That's what happens when one QB is at the end of a career and one isn't. The big picture only applies to the younger QB when the here-and-now season is lost.

McCown in any discussion only applies to today. Today, we aren't winning. Therefore the big picture takes over.

Manziel for these last 6 games needs to happen. Love him or hate him.

Pro-Manziel = figure out the QBOTF. It's the same thing at this juncture.

It's not Manziel love, Manzeilots, Snickers lovers, fanboi's or whatever.

It's figure out the QBOFT. Even if you feel there's only a 10% chance Manziel can do it.

Rutigliano just on the Fan this morning. In general, he does not like Manziel. A couple of weeks ago he wanted him cut. But he says start him. Because he gets that you have to figure it out in the last 6 games.

Those here who don't get this concept need to get it through their thick heads.

Last edited by OconRecon; 11-16-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brownsfan1956 View Post
    Just to bring a touch of reality to this pile....when Josh had a huge game a couple of weeks back didnt all the snickerites say, "and we lost" "His numbers dont matter he played well enough for us to lose" Doesnt that apply to the precious snickers as well snickerites?
    The difference is we know what McCown can do. We need to know what JFF can do.
    McCown played really well and we didn't lose a single game because of his play.
    Manziel can play really well the rest of the season and we might not win a single game.

We must face the fact that we have the worst defense in the NFL, and it's not even close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Eden View Post
    The difference is we know what McCown can do. We need to know what JFF can do.
    McCown played really well and we didn't lose a single game because of his play.
    Manziel can play really well the rest of the season and we might not win a single game.

We must face the fact that we have the worst defense in the NFL, and it's not even close.
    Love how you ignore the fact that Manziel's supporting cast is horrible, too!