View Poll Results: Did Johnny Manziel do enough today to earn his starting spot NEXT YEAR and for us NOT to draft a QB

Voters
104. This poll is closed
  • Yes

63 60.58%
  • No

41 39.42%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Manziel 33/45 73% comp 372 yds passing 17 yds rushing 1 PATD 1 INT - The beginning of the future?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, what are we going to do about the running game?
    We're going to trade the #1 overall to another loser team that is infatuated with one of the QBs in this draft, but not go too far down in the first and end up with:

Jaylon Smith LB
    Zeke Elliott RB
    Michael Thomas or better WR

Post Thanks / Like

the staff dont want johnny to be the starter. to be the face of Cleveland. ITs another Hoyer / Weeden situation. we get a qb and we just blow it but atleast we played weeden and hoyer. We hardly used manziel. I Want johnny to be our face of the browns but i know the staff wont allow him to

Post Thanks / Like

You just have to chuckle and shake your head when reading this thread. As Thaid mentioned, yes the entire second half was essentially "garbage time". Yes, the Steelers D played soft and rarely blitzed.

What is comical is this game was very similar Johnnys last game. A few "wow' moments that make you drool and wonder if Manziel will be our savior ...mixed in with horrifying footwork, throwing off the back foot, only seeing part of the field, bailing on plays too early, not getting the ball out in time, etc. (and yes, as mentioned, there was the good stuff that fills one with hope as well)

I don't believe Johnny will ever be much of a success staying in the pocket anyway, so it shouldn't be much of a discussion ...just roll him out on the regular and get him outside of the pocket so he can actually see past the linemen. (which it appears they tried to do)

There is hope, but to be successful and not easily game planned against, he has a long way to go. Stats are pretty, but losses are not.

He needs to continue starting no doubt about that, as we currently hold the #1 pick in the draft, and we need to spend that on a QB if we have any doubts. (and currently I guarantee there are many throughout the building)

Yes, yes, I realize I will be labeled as a hater, and this is me "trashing" Johnny. Oh well, go fuck yourself.
    Last edited by TheBestPlayersPlay; 11-16-2015 at 01:55 PM.
    I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    He needs to continue starting no doubt about that, as we currently hold the #1 pick in the draft, and we need to spend that on a QB if we have any doubts. (and currently I guarantee there are many throughout the building)
    The last thing this team needs is another 1st round QB pick. Hell. . . even if they don't believe in JFF, playing McCown next season while we build the team up is a better idea than throwing another rookie QB to the wolves.

There is hope, but to be successful and not easily game planned against, he has a long way to go. Stats are pretty, but losses are not.
    Coming from you, that is a glowing endorsement. I hope he continues to change your opinion of him.

Post Thanks / Like

TBPP,

A dose of reality to curb enthusiasm is typically wise. I get it. The sample size either way is just too small.

That said the jury remains out on really the most critical things for Manziel; many of which you listed. The good news in my view of yesterday's action is that I didn't see anything systemic that would suggest he's a failure waiting to happen.

Back foot, holding on to the ball, missing reads, etc are all things very typical of young QB's. The challenge for Manziel and the Browns organization is whether or not he can learn, whether or not he can develop. Six more games won't be enough but he's showing a lot more positive after, what, his fourth start than bad. Combine that with the extra-elements of his game which are clearly translating and we may be on to something.

He's not showing, like so many of our other failed QB's, a lack of an NFL arm, or the sense that he's overwhelmed. Those are good things obviously.

As you and I both like to say even when criticizing the young man; there's no better outcome than him becoming "the guy".

Post Thanks / Like

Barnidge has proven to be a dependable receiver but I wonder if the team would be better served over the long-term with a tight end that offers more of a credible blocking presence to go with receiving skills.

Post Thanks / Like

I know we all either love/ or hate PFF here..

But for those that like PFF they gave Johnny the second highest rating of all the QB's that played this weekend. Thats grading every decision and every throw

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    Wow. Is he that weak that he needs a knight in shining armor? Its football bro. QB's take massive, nasty hits all day every Sunday and their OL doesn't come in and make it worse by tacking on a PF to defend their woman.

The extremes you'll go to find fault with everyone and everything NOT Manziel is a joke.
    1. Manziel sprung up after the play, and didn't have to miss the next one; weird take to suggest I think he's so weak he needs a knight... I don't recall anything that gives that impression.

2. Exactly, bruh... It's football. This might be shocking to you-but within most teams-players will not take kindly to opponents taking cheap shots on their teammates.

thats usually how men act.

Maybe you should re visit my post. It's apparent you missed the point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    I know we all either love/ or hate PFF here..

But for those that like PFF they gave Johnny the second highest rating of all the QB's that played this weekend. Thats grading every decision and every throw
    Manzziel came out #2 on the fantasy QB accomplishment list, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NGgator60 View Post
    Barnidge has proven to be a dependable receiver but I wonder if the team would be better served over the long-term with a tight end that offers more of a credible blocking presence to go with receiving skills.
    Maybe. But there are so many other needs let's let that ride. Remember, too, the Browns drafted two TEs last spring and one of them just returned to practice for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by threesheets View Post
    We're going to trade the #1 overall to another loser team that is infatuated with one of the QBs in this draft, but not go too far down in the first and end up with:

Jaylon Smith LB
    Zeke Elliott RB
    Michael Thomas or better WR
    Something like that is OK with me. I still have to do my homework for the draft. Need to think, too, about how to use free agency strategically to get another LB or two and an OL who can run block.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted no because of how the question is worded. He will earn it by sustaining a level of play. I won't expect what we got every week but if he keeps it going relatively to the end of the season, there's no reason the job shouldn't be his next year.
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    1. Manziel sprung up after the play, and didn't have to miss the next one; weird take to suggest I think he's so weak he needs a knight... I don't recall anything that gives that impression.

2. Exactly, bruh... It's football. This might be shocking to you-but within most teams-players will not take kindly to opponents taking cheap shots on their teammates.

thats usually how men act.

Maybe you should re visit my post. It's apparent you missed the point.
    There is no point, is the point. Its football. Guys take tough shots all the time. Rarely does it result in some type of someone "charging the mound" and fake fighting. Hell, the most notable exception taken by any team this past weekend was in the Panthers game when they felt Newton was showing them up.

There's nothing going on here. No lack of respect for Manziel or whatever you are trying to insinuate.

Where were you when McCown was getting abused? I distinctly recall him taking a few questionable shots by opposing defenses.

Post Thanks / Like

The last thing this team needs is another 1st round QB pick.
    Disagreed. While it would be fantastic if we dont have to invest another 1st round pick on QB, the fact is we haven't drafted a blue chip prospect since Couch, and he was pretty good. All of our other 1st round QBs have been "best of the rest" type of picks, and I am so tired of that nonsense.

If Manziel doesn't turn heads for the rest of the season, we have to look for the guy that can carry this team on his shoulders and elevate the team around him.
    Last edited by TheBestPlayersPlay; 11-16-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Disagreed. While it would be fantastic if we dont have to invest another 1st round pick on QB, the fact is we haven't drafted a blue chip prospect since Couch, and he was pretty good. All of our other 1st round QBs have been "best of the rest" type of picks, and I am so tired of that nonsense.

If Manziel doesn't turn heads for the rest of the season, we have to look for the guy that can carry this team on his shoulders and elevate the team around him.
    It is for certain that he won't turn heads while McCown is playing.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Goff is the only one of this years big three that I even think is worth a first rounder at any slot let alone the #1 overall.

This may be another year with a WEAK draft like the Mingo draft unfortunately

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

It is for certain that he won't turn heads while McCown is playing

It is certain if McCown is starting that our scouting department and GM have failed us. McCown won't be starting over a franchise savior.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure McCown is either going to be a permanent back up next year or be retired/with another team.

I'm going to piggyback off what BPP just said about drafting a QB.

Look, we're all happy that Manziel played good yesterday and showed some positive signs, but he is far from being our franchise QB right now. He is going to get the rest of the year to prove that but we can't start talking, after one good game, like our QB position is set.

It isn't.
    Last edited by next2nothing; 11-16-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    In the words of Tony Rizzo... "FIND ME A FREAKING QUARTERBACK!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    Wow. Is he that weak that he needs a knight in shining armor? Its football bro. QB's take massive, nasty hits all day every Sunday and their OL doesn't come in and make it worse by tacking on a PF to defend their woman.

The extremes you'll go to find fault with everyone and everything NOT Manziel is a joke.
    I tend to agree with BS, Moats could have easily let go, that crossed the line. Thomas or someone with half a pair should have got in moats' face. You can't let your QB take cheap shots like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Grambler... We probably all need to go easy on grey (and like minds)..

Things are getting rough for them.. They have to start mumbling manziel compliments while dealing with internal pain from it (and the imminent firing of their bald goatee tough blue collar high school coach) .

It's time for empathy.
    Last edited by BoatShoes; 11-16-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    Grambler... We probably all need to go easy on grey (and like minds)..

Things are getting rough for them.. They have to start mumbling manziel compliments while dealing with internal pain from it (and the imminent firing of their bald goatee tough blue collar high school coach) .

It's time for empathy.
    Weren't you supposed to be in hiding until the core member you chased away returned?

A man of conviction I see.

Hard to take you seriously I'm afraid.

People like Grey and his ilk are Browns fans...not hero worshiping fans of a single athlete.

I do agree however, that this team hasn't shown any fire since Hoyer was leading them to the top of the division.

And before Hoyer carried this team last year we hadn't seen fire since Mangini was coach.

Your QB nearly gets his neck broken by your arch rival, there should be punches thrown. Maybe they don't like Johnny? Hmmmmmmm.
    Last edited by TheBestPlayersPlay; 11-16-2015 at 11:26 PM.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Weren't you supposed to be in hiding until the core member you chased away returned?

A man of conviction I see.

Hard to take you seriously I'm afraid.

People like Grey and his ilk are Browns fans...not hero worshiping fans of a single athlete.
    About all BS can do is invite the guy back. I don't think it should be necessary for him to kiss BDU's feet. We are all fans here with different ideas of what the Browns need to do. BDU represents one point of view, BS another. I certainly have my ideas and they obviously are not the same as yours.

Regarding, BDU, I think it was Harry S. Truman who once said: "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." I guess some guys just don't like the give and take of a forum such as this.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by next2nothing View Post
    I'm pretty sure McCown is either going to be a permanent back up next year or be retired/with another team.

I'm going to piggyback off what BPP just said about drafting a QB.

Look, we're all happy that Manziel played good yesterday and showed some positive signs, but he is far from being our franchise QB right now. He is going to get the rest of the year to prove that but we can't start talking, after one good game, like our QB position is set.

It isn't.
    I am of the opinion that McCown would be an ideal backup. He is an old salt that doesn't need a lot of reps to be effective.

My objection is that in Pettine's universe, he needs to be the starter ahead of the guy that has a chance of being our long term franchise quarterback. I have no faith whatever that Pettine intends to start Manziel once McCown is healthy again.

Post Thanks / Like

And he has two weeks to get McCown healthy.