Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Once... Twice... 31 times a MEGATHREAD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by next2nothing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope Farmer doesn't have his say then.

I'd rather have Jim Mora or Brian Kelly if we sign a college football coach.

Too much speed in the NFL to try to run a wide open offense like the air raid.
    Please NO on a college coach! I want an experienced NFL hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
    JOHN GRUDEN would be sweet.
    Not a fan of Gruden.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    Shep, brace yourself for those who said college stats didn't matter... To start glorifying college stats of incoming quarterbacks.

Manziel is more than likely going to have 2+ bad games (which will be sensationalized as the worst games ever).

Personally, I don't think the kid has a chance in hell of solidifying his position as QB1 for 2016.

Too many people are all-in with their biases.

He threw two lucky passes in Tennessee, he fumbles more than any quarterback ever, can't EVER play from the pocket, isn't consistent, can't get it in the end zone, can't win.

The reality is the passion isn't on the "manzielots" side, it's on and has been on the hate side and I don't think that is going to change anytime soon. It will just go underground and displayed with passive aggressive comments.

Now If the kid can overcome our deficiencies in coaching, talent on both sides of the ball +the bitter old men yelling at clouds and Internet qb gurus angrily typing about footwork, Brian hoyer loving media, ... I'll be floored.

From day 1 here, it's been a absolutely horrible environment to develop a qb in. Some of that is on manziel. None of it this year.... But it all continues to ripple.

outisde of winning 3/6 and putting up great numbers, I don't think he's going to be able to "earn" the job.
    Fuck me. Can you at least do us all a favor and share what has to happen for you to shut the fuck up? I mean what has to happen for you to just simmer down, stop insulting anyone who even bats an eye at Manziel, and just watch the football team evolve?

Or, you're just going to keep starting shit just to start shit and cost us quality members of this community like BDU going forward? There's probably a Manziel fanclub forum somewhere that would give you a 100% sympathetic audience. This board won't since it isn't about Manziel.

Post Thanks / Like

Pettine's press conference yesterday should bridge some of the divide between the various factions of Browns fans. According to Pett, Johnny turned in "one of the better QB performances", "played his ass off", "the tape looked even better", "he was so effective from the pocket." The forest has shown itself through the trees and the Head Coach sees it.

I cant recall very many young NFL quarterbacks with a high pedigree flashing to the extent that Johnny did only to fizzle out going forward. Maybe Kaepernick? My point being that when you have a young player that possesses the physical talent to succeed (height aside) and has demonstrated the ability grasp the mental nuances of the game at least once, the chances are rather good that this player will have more bright days going forward.

I'll also add that it's rather ironic that two quarterbacks of whom some on Barking Hard were convinced that the Browns chased this past off-season, Sam Bradford and Nick Foles, are now understood to be flawed even more so than they had been. All else equal, if Ray Farmer called Chip Kelly or Les Snead (Rams GM) today and offered them Manziel straight up for their respective starting quarterback, who declines the offer and on what basis?
    Last edited by NGgator60; 11-17-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If Manziel gets the starts the rest of the way, I look at them as his first real chance to get significant and consistent reps both practice and in game. He's already proven he knows the playbook and can make any type of throw on the field.

To me, this isn't some type of limited tryout for the qb position, but the first chance for a 1st round QB to gain some much needed NFL experience as a needed learning tool for the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AttackOffense View Post
    Not a fan of Gruden.
    Well, you asked, and I gave you an answer. When I ask who you like at WR, you get all hush-hush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    Fuck me. Can you at least do us all a favor and share what has to happen for you to shut the fuck up? I mean what has to happen for you to just simmer down, stop insulting anyone who even bats an eye at Manziel, and just watch the football team evolve?

Or, you're just going to keep starting shit just to start shit and cost us quality members of this community like BDU going forward? There's probably a Manziel fanclub forum somewhere that would give you a 100% sympathetic audience. This board won't since it isn't about Manziel.
    Boat Shoes, like anyone else, should be allowed to express his views without your personal attacks. You have such a problem with people who have different viewpoints than you, it's very troubling how poorly you handle that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
    Well, you asked, and I gave you an answer. When I ask who you like at WR, you get all hush-hush.
    Its OK we differ, Big Sarge, and I am glad you are here and posting.

As for WR, not hush hush, but just haven't spent time yet to really look at the WR group close enough, even though the kid from Okla. State impresses me at first glance. Like the past two years, you'll see me express a lot of opinions about college talent, including WR, as we go through the bowl season and the Combine et al.

Robinson from Florida is a kid who may help some team -- I think he comes out after this season.

My fav receiver in college football this year is Calloway from Florida, but he's only a freshman. A heck of a talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Manziel to start the rest of the season per B/R...

There we go.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    Manziel to start the rest of the season per B/R...

There we go.
    Dammit!! What are we gonna bitch abut now?
    just beat it

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure we will find something... lol

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I've never heard Pettine sound this way about Johnny. He all but named him the starter. I think that fish is in the boat, guys.

If he showed this much growth with one week of starter reps, imagine him with a bye week. And then beyond. He's growing into being what I thought he was, a legit first round pick and one of my two favorites (along with Carr). I like the mobility, the arm strength, the creativity, and the fire. He's a competitor, for sure.

I'm glad he's a Brown.
    The key is that Pettine has "all but named" Manziel the starter.

Call me a cynic if you wish, but I will believe it when I see it. I think that if Pettine had the intention of starting Manziel the rest of the season, he would have said so by now. There is no reason not to if that was his intention.

The reason he hasn't named him Manziel the starter already is because he has no such intention. This is the same damn thing that happened after the Tennessee game. People listened to Pettine bragging on Manziel and "just knew" that it meant that Pettine would stay with Manziel. It meant no such thing then and it means no such thing now.

The only way that Manziel plays the rest of the season is with a new head coach.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you missed the news Cliff?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/11/...er-josh-mccown

The Cleveland Browns have named Johnny Manziel the starting quarterback for the rest of the season, the team announced on Tuesday. The news was first reported by Fox Sports' Jay Glazer.The Browns have a bye this week and then will host the Ravens for a Monday night game in Week 12.
    Manziel has started the team's last two games, in Cincinnati and in Pittsburgh. He was filling in for Josh McCown, who's been dealing with a rib injury. The Browns dropped both games but head head coach Mike Pettine said that he was impressed with how Manziel, who's 1-3 as a starter, had been progressing.
    "I just thought the improvement that he made from the Cincinnati game to this one, it was a leap," Pettine said Monday, via the Browns' website. "Given what he has gone through, you are just proud of the kid and happy for him. Wish we had a better result from a team standpoint because -- pardon my French -- he played his ass off."
    Manziel completed 33 of his 45 passes for 372 yards in Cleveland's 30-9 loss Sunday to the Steelers. He threw one touchdown and one interception. He was 29-for-35 for 282 yards from the pocket, according to ESPN Stats & Info.
    Manziel this season has completed 59.4 percent of his passes and thrown five touchdowns compared to two interceptions.
    This decision to move forward with Manziel as the starter represents a reversal of what Pettine said last week.
    "We've said all along that Josh McCown started the season as our No. 1 quarterback, and he's been out due to injury and potentially coming back," Pettine said last Tuesday. "I get the call for ‘Hey, why not [start Manziel]?' but we're tasked as coaches to put the roster out there that's going to give us the best opportunity to win."
    Prior to the team's loss to the Steelers on Sunday NFL Media' Ian Rapoport reportedthat, to that point, Pettine did not feel as if Manziel has earned the job.
    "I will support and help him get ready just like I did this week and do everything I can to help him to play the best ball he can to help us win football games," McCown said Monday when asked how he would react in Manziel was named the team's starter. "That is the way I view it -- any player on a team, you do everything you can to help the team win and to serve the team in your role."
    McCown, who signed a three-year contract with the Browns in the offseason, has completed 65 percent of his passes this year and thrown 11 touchdowns compared to just four interceptions.
    At 2-8, the Browns could be in a position to select a highly-rated quarterback in the 2016 draft. The team has yet to reveal whether that played a role in their decision to anoint Manziel, a 2014 first round pick, the starter for the remainder of the season.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Manziel will be Browns starter for rest of season

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...est-of-season/

Manziel will be Browns starter for rest of season

On Monday, Browns coach Mike Pettine said he wasn’t prepared to name Johnny Manziel the team’s starting quarterback for the rest of the season regardless of Josh McCown’s health.

It looks like Pettine and the Browns have gotten their ducks in a row, though. Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that Manziel will make the move to the top rung of the depth chart for the rest of the season. Glazer adds that both quarterbacks have been informed of the decision.

It’s hard to argue with that choice. At 2-8, the Browns have little reason not to look forward to 2016 and find ways to make that season go better than this one. The jury remains out on whether Manziel can help them achieve that goal, but there’s no way to render a verdict without actually seeing what he can do over an extended period of time.

If the feeling is that he can do the job, the Browns can look for help at other spots with what will be another high draft pick. If Manziel sputters, that pick could go for another quarterback that the team’s decision-makers — be they the current ones or a new regime — believe is better suited for the job.

UPDATE 11:15 a.m. ET: The Browns have announced that Manziel will be their starter moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
    Dammit!! What are we gonna bitch abut now?
    No need to even ask, as you are alluding: Just wait for BS' next post.

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like an organizational decision but finally, Manziel can get some consistent reps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    Well, after logging on, I checked out the sports feeds and saw this:

http://www.barkinghard.com/forums/sh...to-Josh-McCown

and heard Michael Reghi say that starting McCown made sense only if you are Mike Pettine insisting on doing it his way, but that that would suggest that the head football coach has backbone and Reghi didn't think that Pettine had the spine to thumb his nose at the entire organization.

I disagreed with Reghi because I thought Pettine had plenty of backbone. And I still do, by the way. I won't fault him for his backbone.

Can't say that I am unhappy about Manziel starting the rest of the season, but I will admit that I was wrong about Pettine. Apparently he is not as inflexible as I took him to be. Cheers.
    Last edited by Brownsfan; 11-17-2015 at 12:20 PM.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty much like the plan that they laid out is being executed. Early results on the development of Manziel certainly seem promising after his most recent performance. Kudos to Manziel and I guess you have to consider some kudos to the staff.

Alternatively or more aptly jadedly, one could say the staff butchered the entire thing.

Either could be true but the available evidence isn't conducive either way, and I would argue tilts toward giving credit to the organization (in addition to Johnny). Time will likely tell, but the best case scenario for us (a favorite chant of the pro-Manziel crowd) is the scenario where the staff's role was additive to Manziel's development. It would increase the likelihood of continuity; not for continuity's sake but deservedly so.

Post Thanks / Like

Jay Glazer...again
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

If the Browns are committed to Johnny, I hope they really mean it. It's high time we actually build a team around one of our young quarterbacks. This means we need to get him some weapons in the offseason, in addition to the return of Josh Gordon.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my opinion (and that is all it is)

Last year's failure was mostly Manziel...but the coaching staff did him no favors (by that I mean Shanny and the QBC)
    This year's success is mostly Manziel...but the coaching staff has done him right.

Personally, I don't think that he was ready to be named the starter after last week at Cinci...there were just too many instances where he overlooked easy completions and got happy feet before necessary. However, THIS week he showed he can not only read a zone defense, but take advantage with his feet when necessary. The leap from last year to this was huge...but the leap from last week to this week may have been more impressive.

I don't know that this is going to translate to anything other than a more exciting offense...but it may translate to success going forward for the next 10-15 years if Manziel can continue to develop.

Here is to hoping that Haslem keeps this group together (but they change the DC). I hope they bring in a high end rush backer, a nice thumper up the middle...and at least 1 quality WR...and here is to hoping Gordon comes back and can play like he did before his suspensions.

Go Browns!
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like we at least have a direction now. I am no longer hoping for draft picks, but rather wanting to see our young QB develop. At this point wins and losses don't mean much, but it would be nice to see Johnny rally the team together to pick up some wins, and hopefully we don't screw up our draft selections next season. We really need to get this guy some receivers.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty much like the plan that they laid out is being executed. Early results on the development of Manziel certainly seem promising after his most recent performance. Kudos to Manziel and I guess you have to consider some kudos to the staff.

Alternatively or more aptly jadedly, one could say the staff butchered the entire thing.

Either could be true but the available evidence isn't conducive either way, and I would argue tilts toward giving credit to the organization (in addition to Johnny). Time will likely tell, but the best case scenario for us (a favorite chant of the pro-Manziel crowd) is the scenario where the staff's role was additive to Manziel's development. It would increase the likelihood of continuity; not for continuity's sake but deservedly so.
    I don't really care how it came about, whether it was the original plan or if it was forced. It doesn't matter to me. I am just happy that Manziel is being given a chance to excel or not, whatever. It appears that he is showing up pretty good so far and I think his performance Sunday indicates that he has a chance to be really good. If that is the case, I think we have a chance for a winning record next year. Maybe it won't work out. I just wanted the chance.

I would kind of like for us to be something like 4-2 the rest of the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't piggyback BDU.
    You're right, he is a quality member.

You're just a dick.

Don't for a second think my apology to him somehow validates any of your problems with me.

I owned it because I was wrong.
    I do that.

There is a reason you've never received such a post from me.

I've suggested in the past we both ignore each other for the community... But I kept seeing you respond to my post in the form of others' quotes.
    Last edited by BoatShoes; 11-17-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    Here is my opinion (and that is all it is)

Last year's failure was mostly Manziel...but the coaching staff did him no favors (by that I mean Shanny and the QBC)
    This year's success is mostly Manziel...but the coaching staff has done him right.

Personally, I don't think that he was ready to be named the starter after last week at Cinci...there were just too many instances where he overlooked easy completions and got happy feet before necessary. However, THIS week he showed he can not only read a zone defense, but take advantage with his feet when necessary. The leap from last year to this was huge...but the leap from last week to this week may have been more impressive.

I don't know that this is going to translate to anything other than a more exciting offense...but it may translate to success going forward for the next 10-15 years if Manziel can continue to develop.

Here is to hoping that Haslem keeps this group together (but they change the DC). I hope they bring in a high end rush backer, a nice thumper up the middle...and at least 1 quality WR...and here is to hoping Gordon comes back and can play like he did before his suspensions.

Go Browns!
    LOL! This "wonderful" group "together" has the Browns positioned for the first pick in the 2016 draft!

Clean house. Try again.