Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Once... Twice... 31 times a MEGATHREAD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...est-of-season/

Manziel will be Browns starter for rest of season

On Monday, Browns coach Mike Pettine said he wasn’t prepared to name Johnny Manziel the team’s starting quarterback for the rest of the season regardless of Josh McCown’s health.

It looks like Pettine and the Browns have gotten their ducks in a row, though. Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that Manziel will make the move to the top rung of the depth chart for the rest of the season. Glazer adds that both quarterbacks have been informed of the decision.

It’s hard to argue with that choice. At 2-8, the Browns have little reason not to look forward to 2016 and find ways to make that season go better than this one. The jury remains out on whether Manziel can help them achieve that goal, but there’s no way to render a verdict without actually seeing what he can do over an extended period of time.

If the feeling is that he can do the job, the Browns can look for help at other spots with what will be another high draft pick. If Manziel sputters, that pick could go for another quarterback that the team’s decision-makers — be they the current ones or a new regime — believe is better suited for the job.

UPDATE 11:15 a.m. ET: The Browns have announced that Manziel will be their starter moving forward.
    Named starter until he had a bad game and Pettine, desperate to keep his job, puts McCown in the third quarter and keeps him there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoatShoes View Post
    Don't piggyback BDU.
    You're right, he is a quality member.

You're just a dick.

Don't for a second think my apology to him somehow validates any of your problems with me.

I owned it because I was wrong.
    I do that.

There is a reason you've never received such a post from me.

I've suggested in the past we both ignore each other for the community... But I kept seeing you respond to my post in the form of others' quotes.
    Sorry for hitting a nerve.

And, thanks for responding.

Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing Haslam is planning on keeping Ray and Mike after this season. I have to assume he made it clear to them that the goal from this point on is to develop the young guys on this team. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Justin Gilbert active at CB against Baltimore

Post Thanks / Like

I think Manziel could feel this coming. Ruiter has been saying Manziel has had "pep in his step" for over a week or so.

Strap in boys, here comes the Manziel roller coaster. And I mean that in a fun way.

It'll be entertaining if nothing else. No running game. No defense. Little receivers. It ain't gonna be easy.

If it were up to me, I'd go with more Duke and activate Bibbs. (Yeah, and I'd also call Terrelle. Let's get nutty.)

via GIPHY

Last edited by OconRecon; 11-17-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    2017 Draft: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 EXTRA Draft picks: a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), a 5th (Chiefs/Cam) - 12 total
    2019 EXTRA picks: 7th rnd (w/ Coates)
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Post Thanks / Like

TOMMY!

That is the perfect statement.

"AT LEAST WE HAVE A DIRECTION NOW"

Without deciding on our QB, everything else is pointless. It is a long raod with no destination.

We have needed to COMMIT for so long now. At least now we can do so.

I hope

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

Horrible receivers, lack of a running game, and a porous OL haven't seemed to hinder this team from being a top third passing offense by just about any measure. I guess we can talk about how this should be the number one passing unit in the NFL if we had a good OL, good receivers, and a running game.

Just interesting how our collective view of our receiver group (mine included) doesn't necessarily align with the results thus far. Interesting factoid if nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo930 View Post
    I am guessing Haslam is planning on keeping Ray and Mike after this season. I have to assume he made it clear to them that the goal from this point on is to develop the young guys on this team. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Justin Gilbert active at CB against Baltimore
    Maybe that's been the plan from the start. At least as far as the QB room is concerned there's nothing here that doesn't jive with what they've been saying since preseason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldDawgCliff View Post
    I don't really care how it came about, whether it was the original plan or if it was forced. It doesn't matter to me. I am just happy that Manziel is being given a chance to excel or not, whatever. It appears that he is showing up pretty good so far and I think his performance Sunday indicates that he has a chance to be really good. If that is the case, I think we have a chance for a winning record next year. Maybe it won't work out. I just wanted the chance.

I would kind of like for us to be something like 4-2 the rest of the way.
    Seems to me it would be better for the team if this had been part of a plan as opposed to in spite of things? The former breeds some hope of competence and continuity. The latter breeds the huge risks associated with regime changes. At least that's my thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NGgator60 View Post

I cant recall very many young NFL quarterbacks with a high pedigree flashing to the extent that Johnny did only to fizzle out going forward. Maybe Kaepernick?
    Did you forget RG3?
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Did you forget RG3?
    RGIII begs the question as to how much was him failing...and how much was his 'body' failing. I am thinking about 50/50.

Also...as it stands now...Manziel is doing it more as an NFL QB than EITHER of the two mentioned. Both RGIII and Kaepernick were almost entirely reliant on the read option...which in my opinion is why they ended up failing in the long run. They never learned to be a pocket passer and the read option is not a long term answer without the 'threat' of the pocket passing. Heck...even Russel Wilson (the 'other' read option QB) is on a downward career path...with his QB rating dropping every year. It is still solid now...but by next year it likely drops into the 80 range. This year alone his TD/INT ratio has dropped to nearly 1/1...and that is WITH his shiny new TE.

No...right now...for a primarily 'pocket passer' type QB...I can't think of one that has flashed this well only to disappear. At least not one that was highly drafted.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    "AT LEAST WE HAVE A DIRECTION NOW"
    I too like this.

McCown is still in a position of value, and the franchise with a direction at QB1.

Grossi's points this morning:

One of three things will happen:
    1. He will rise to a level where everyone will see him as the franchise quarterback.
    2. He will put enough decent play on tape to entice trade offers after the season.
    3. Or he will play himself off the team.

The worst possible thing would be for the season to end without anyone having a clue about Manziel’s future with team.

It's just that simple.

If he tanks, we draft the best QB on the board. If he plays well, but the D continues to give up 30/game, we'll have tons of options at the top of the draft. If we win a few, there'll still be plenty of great ways to go in the top 10 (WR, LB, DE, RB, etc).

15 days to prepare for the 2 win Ravens - now THAT's giving a guy a chance.

ESPN is thanking their lucky stars. Otherwise, they had the toilet bowl on tap with no way to market the thing.

Call Ray Rice and Terrelle and let's go f-ing crazy with this thing. (kidding kind of really, I'm just serious but not so much, well)

Lead the way Johnny.

via GIPHY

Last edited by OconRecon; 11-17-2015 at 01:12 PM.
    2017 Draft: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 EXTRA Draft picks: a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), a 5th (Chiefs/Cam) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greythan View Post
    Seems to me it would be better for the team if this had been part of a plan as opposed to in spite of things? The former breeds some hope of competence and continuity. The latter breeds the huge risks associated with regime changes. At least that's my thinking.
    It is what it is. Whatever it is, it is. What I am saying is that finding a quarterback is a heck of a lot more important than finding a head coach. As for Pettine, it is clear that Pettine is not as inflexible as I believed he was. Eventually, we will find out if he is as flexible as he needs to be. In the meantime we have six game in which Manziel will be tested to see what he can become--and that is a good thing. We can worry about defense later.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

I too wonder if Unca Jimmy gave Pett a reassurance to allow him to think big picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to lose for the Browns who are currently ranked 32nd and last in the latest NFL.com power rankings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...enter-top-five

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    RGIII begs the question as to how much was him failing...and how much was his 'body' failing. I am thinking about 50/50.

Also...as it stands now...Manziel is doing it more as an NFL QB than EITHER of the two mentioned. Both RGIII and Kaepernick were almost entirely reliant on the read option...which in my opinion is why they ended up failing in the long run. They never learned to be a pocket passer and the read option is not a long term answer without the 'threat' of the pocket passing. Heck...even Russel Wilson (the 'other' read option QB) is on a downward career path...with his QB rating dropping every year. It is still solid now...but by next year it likely drops into the 80 range. This year alone his TD/INT ratio has dropped to nearly 1/1...and that is WITH his shiny new TE.

No...right now...for a primarily 'pocket passer' type QB...I can't think of one that has flashed this well only to disappear. At least not one that was highly drafted.
    Hey, far be it from me to throw cold water on Manziel's chances of making it big. I think he has a chance of being the next great one.

But the question NG60 asked had do with flashing. I don't think anyone ever flashed more than RG3. You can draw the distinction you drew and I will agree it is valid, but that has nothing to do with NG60's question. And, to be honest, I don't agree that Manziel flashed that much Sunday. Lots of guys have had a greater game than Manziel had last Sunday and eventually failed.

I think the bottom line is that the jury is still out. Manziel has a chance and we can hope that our hopes will be realized. But lets see how he does the rest of the season first.

Post Thanks / Like

This new 'direction' the Browns have shown all goes out the window if Manzeil gets injured...

Should hold the fans attention the last 6 games though...
    just beat it

Post Thanks / Like

As of right now Manziel is the 20th ranked QB with a minimum of 100 pass attempts (this makes it a guy who has started or played several games...there are 34 such QB's).

He is middle of the pack...and has played against the following teams with the following results:
    NY Jets: #4 in QB rating against with 79.1, Manziel had a 75.3
    Tennessee: #22 - 95.1, Manziel had 133.9
    St.Louis: #17 - 90.5, Manziel had 89.2 (only 5 passes)
    Arizona: #2 - 74.2, Manziel had 56.2 (only 6 passes)
    Cincinnati: #8 - 83.1, Manziel had 71.3
    Pittsburgh: #20 - 94.0, Manziel had 95.8

Overall, Manziel has been in the ballpark with what these teams give up on nearly every game (Cinci was the anomaly, and that was a short week). If he can continue to do that...or better yet improve...he may be on his way to giving the Browns the long term QB we have been waiting for.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, we can look back at this day and say this was the beginning of the Browns' turnaround.

I wouldn't have blamed the Browns had they cut JFF at the end of last season. I'm very glad they stuck with him.

Last year. . . all Manziel's fault.

This season, great move to get McCown to mentor JFF.

It's a long road to competency.

Good luck JFF!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you forget RG3?
    I didn't forget RGIII, as a matter of fact I was thinking of him while offering my original statement. Griffin didn't "flash" in the traditional sense so much as his game was all predicated on "flash." RGIII operated within the friendly confines of a gimmick offense that most often saw him make one downfield read without having to work through typical NFL progressions. RGIII flashes in the same sense as Tebow flashed but he simply looked better doing it and had a more committed staff enabling him.

What has impressed many with regards to Johnny's play is that he operated at times successfully within an NFL system against Cincinnati, but his style still drew enough criticism from those that felt he moved outside of the pocket too much. What did Johnny proceed to do just nine days later? Operate almost exclusively from the pocket and perform at an even higher level.

RGIII never really faced his criticisms nor did he ever need to with having demonstrated some success and led by a coaching staff that enabled him. RGIII's downfall came as a result of that system and his subsequent decline in performance within it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just glad he'll have a chance to play in the snow - has he ever? He's going to need that experience for the eventual playoff runs ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Eden View Post
    Last year. . . all Manziel's fault.
    Careful. You'll draw the ire of his ardent defender with talk like that.

Post Thanks / Like

For the Ravens game I fell asleep at halftime and woke up after the Brownies had won. I joked with my friends that I may have slept through the last victory of the season...

Post Thanks / Like

As for the QB position if Manziel isn't the starter by now then obviously this staff is giving a big middle finger to everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Good news: Manziel cleared by NFL.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...rt_river_index