Thread: Barking Hard Musicians: What do you play?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barking Hard Musicians: What do you play?

So we have a thread for what you're listening to. How about a thread for those who play it?

What's your instrument(s)? Got a band? Solo stuff? Tell us!

I play a little of everything, coming from a musical family (in short form, dad plays piano, mom plays guitar and Celtic harp and sings, and I have a cousin who is a cellist in the Baltimore Symphony): drums, orchestral percussion, guitar, bass, keyboards, mandolin, and occasionally I do something that resembles singing.

I just joined a band here in the Dallas area last week, a sort of folk-punk/anti-folk group called Death Before Breakfast as their new drummer, and used to play with bands in college and high school, mostly drumming. Ironic, because I have never owned a drum set in my life but it's what I play best.
    Inexplicable 2016 Barking Hard Pick 'Em Champion

"Thus we say, 'He ne'er contends, And therein is his might.'" - Lao Tzu, passage 68 of the Tao Te Ching, foretelling of the Cleveland Browns

Cleveland autograph count as of 12/12/17: 100 Browns, 185 Indians, 12 Cavs, and 36 Lumberjacks/Barons/Crunch/Force. 333 total.
    Thanks nickers says thanks for this post.
    Like internalprime8 liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Air guitar here
    God Bless America

"They Love ta Hate Me"

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"
    Like Enigmatic Evil, nickers liked this post.
    LOL! nickers laughed at this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Martin X series and jam out on a SP-404sx into a ZT Lunchbox amp. I'm a minimalist when it comes to gear, the less the better.

Surprised not that many heads around here play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kegeratorz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a minimalist when it comes to gear, the less the better.
    I feel the same way on guitar gear-- I have three electrics (Fender strat and thinline tele, and a Samick Les Paul copy) and an el-cheapo acoustic, but only one amp (Fender Princeton 65) and a Digitech RP-300 for all my effects.

Drums though, I want a lot of options. I can work with any size set, but feel best with at least three toms and four cymbals besides hi-hat/snare/bass.

"Thus we say, 'He ne'er contends, And therein is his might.'" - Lao Tzu, passage 68 of the Tao Te Ching, foretelling of the Cleveland Browns

Cleveland autograph count as of 12/12/17: 100 Browns, 185 Indians, 12 Cavs, and 36 Lumberjacks/Barons/Crunch/Force. 333 total.
    Like internalprime8, nickers liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to get a small electric drum set, never played but would be so fun to learn. What I didn't mention is I have a Gibson SG JR, great guitar but collecting dust atm. It will be trade bait for something new, maybe a small kit or new sampler.

Post Thanks / Like

I never venture outside the Browns sub-forum so I missed this one. I've played guitar since I was around 12 but never that seriously. I started taking lessons last winter to learn some music theory and might pick them up again this winter winter when I'm not so busy. I've also recently started playing bass in a stoner/doom metal band.

Current gear is a Creston tele-style build, a 2004 PRS Modern Eagle, and a shitty Seagull acoustic. For bass I have a Rick 4003w walnut. Bogner Lafayette combo amp for guitar and Darkglass Microtubes 900 for bass.
    Wake me up when Hue is gone.

nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

I play guitar and several other instruments... Heres a couple of examples ... Ones a remake of a christmas classic.. The other is just Me goofing off on a dare by a friend LOL...

" There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only recording I have of my guitar playing. Just a few pieces of different songs I played through to test out recording with a mic I had a few years ago. I think I was playing a Les Paul through a Laney Lionheart amp.
    https://soundcloud.com/brett-smith-13/guitar-sample

And this is my doom band's page. We only have a rough demo out right now. I play bass in this one. https://sachem802.bandcamp.com/releases
    Wake me up when Hue is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm barely visible here (because drummers do it from the back) but here's some our songs. Unfortunately the banjo/harmonica player is no longer in the band and we've gone more electric lately, but you get the idea.

Like nickers liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kegeratorz View Post
    Would love to get a small electric drum set, never played but would be so fun to learn. What I didn't mention is I have a Gibson SG JR, great guitar but collecting dust atm. It will be trade bait for something new, maybe a small kit or new sampler.
    I've considered an electronic since I live in a small apartment and they can be played through headphones, plus there are so many different sounds that can be programmed in. Haven't gone for it yet though, too many other things that my money ends up going into for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickers View Post
    I play guitar and several other instruments... Heres a couple of examples ... Ones a remake of a christmas classic.. The other is just Me goofing off on a dare by a friend LOL...

Good shit dude, how did you record the Christmas tune?

Quote Originally Posted by ToastedPagel View Post
    I'm barely visible here (because drummers do it from the back) but here's some our songs. Unfortunately the banjo/harmonica player is no longer in the band and we've gone more electric lately, but you get the idea.

Love it, acoustic guy myself.

Post Thanks / Like

If second floor apartment then get a heavy rug to sit that electric kit on. Kick can resonate through the floor.

nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

I did it on Sonar cakewalk through My PC..4 guitar tracks, one keyboard bass track.. And a drum track I did free hand on Keyboard because I didnt want to spend all day trying to program and quantize the drum parts.. So I just kept it simple... Did it all in Drop D tuning
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sonar is great, I just never got into recording with a computer. I’m an asshole computer tech so when I get home to gear the last thing I want is sit in front of a screen. Of course I’ll have to change when I want to start dropping tracks. Midi programming is easy but sounds so fake quick, I’m with on free hand drums. Sounds great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickers View Post

Encore! Taking requests?
    God Bless America

"They Love ta Hate Me"

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 open back headphones, velour pads, don’t even know there on and sound amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Copped a EHX Synth 9 pedal off eBay, sounds great.

Post Thanks / Like

Got ourselves a bunch of shows booked down here over the next few months-- DFW, OKC, Wichita, and a few others in the works.

I must be hitting harder than I think I do-- on Saturday I managed to break two sticks AND a cymbal stand.