Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Garoppolo Countdown, February Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Hoyer? The hometown kid ran out of town on a rail? That Hoyer? I can't think of a single reason he'd come back........
    Worst to First Baby

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Eden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    100% agree. And I think Hoyer would come here with the attitude that he's not the long-term answer, unlike last time.
    I think before he came here with that attitude, he already has the "Fuck the Browns" attitude to be honest.
    Worst to First Baby

Post Thanks / Like

Hoyer has a reputation for being "prickly". If the Browns really went that way (a vet and Mahomes), I think you'd be looking for a mentor figure who knows the reality of his job. Not sure who that is. Nick Foles?

Honestly, I think it's academic. Either the Browns go Garrett-Garoppolo or Trubisky-Barnett. As Mary Kay put it, the Browns are watching Day Two next week to assign value to the prospects and get a sense of what they'd trade for Garoppolo. I think they'll be watching all the QBs but mostly Trubisky: Would we take him at #1? No? Then we need to get our QB with the #12. Do we like Garoppolo more than the QB we could get there?

The guy I think has a shot to flip the script next week: Davis Webb. Since Senior Bowl week it's felt like he's lurking around the edges, the challenger to Mahomes for biggest arm, has undeniable NFL size, put up big numbers. Could put himself in the conversation along with the other four.
    Like KJP, Stray Dawg, TheBestPlayersPlay liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Having vets and calling them mentors is way overrated. Is Brady Garoppolo's mentor? Favre and Rogers? Maybe you bring in a vet for competition but I'm highly skeptical of a qb who glowingly is happy with that title.
    Worst to First Baby

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point, Stray... but there are different ways to be a mentor. One is to be an amazing template and example like Brady. Just being there in the room with him and McDaniels, you're gonna leave knowing a ton of shit having broken down film with them. You're gonna know stuff a lot of young QBs don't know.

The other is to be Josh McCown, a willing and self-aware teacher.

Right now the Browns have neither of those things. Doesn't mean they couldn't take a developmental type QB (Mahomes or Webb)... but it reduces the likelihood. I also think Hue's experience with RG3 makes him wary of Air Raid QBs (both are).

I know people push back against it... but it's one of the reasons the Browns and Garoppolo make so much sense.
    Like Stray Dawg liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

The reasons the Pats would trade their backup QB, ON A ROOKIE CONTRACT, that doesn't APPEAR to suck.

1. They have a time machine and went to 2018 and saw that Brady did not got injured in 2017.

2. Pats know JG is not the second coming and are going to pick up a free agent QB that they think is at least as capable. FA could be signed to a multi-year for a lot less than JG's next contract because other needy teams value JG too highly.

3. The Pats think they are going to get really lucky in the draft and expect a newly drafted QB to step in if Brady is injured.

4. Brissett is a lot better than other teams think.

5. The Pats feel sorry for the QB needy and want to even out the competition by giving away their next starter.

Anyone have a Patriots scenario that could show trading for JG is a good move.

GO BROWNS!
    I see Dudley every time I see this particular photo of Jimmy G. No reflection of his ability as a QB.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not really up to the Patriots, at least not exclusively, Nevada. Garoppolo's deal is up in one year and the Patriots know Brady has no intention of retiring after next season or the one after that or the one after that.

So when JG is out of his deal, they can't offer him a starting job after four years of waiting and won't offer him starting money either (nobody gives 20 mill a year to two guys). They can't compete and will lose him.

Their only alternative is to keep him next year and then franchise him in order to trade him. There's peril to that because teams know you need to move him or face paying a backup QB about 25 mill, which lowers your leverage. There's also peril because he could get injured or not play as near-perfectly as he did in those starts this season.

That's why the Patriots drafted Brissett even though they had Brady and Garoppolo (who they reportedly love, BTW, and supposedly McDaniels included him in conversations about HC jobs): They saw a future where they'd have to let Jimmy G. walk.

That's why guys closest to the Patriots but not their shill (Albert Breer fitting that description) say the Pats are almost certain to move JG unless they don't get what they believe is fair, which when it comes to QBs is probably "advantageous." The timing is perfect because the draft lacks a clear-cut day one starter type at QB and three teams at the top of the draft do not have next year's starter in the building.

SF could choose to keep Kaepernick so they're the closest. The Bears and Browns do not see starters when they look at Barkley and Kessler. That's not to say they don't like them. I think they do. They just don't see a top 10-15 QB over the next decade.

It makes sense for the Patriots... and it makes sense for the Browns, Bears, and Niners. It could also make sense for the Texans if they don't go with Romo because they do like Savage and only want a two-year bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

The strike Garoppolo has against him, and it may not be fair, is Brock Osweiler if ya know what I mean
    Worst to First Baby

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think many GMs around the league really say, "If Osweiler, then Garoppolo" just because of a situation. Different guys... and frankly, Osweiler never looked as good as Garoppolo did in those two games.

You could say Brett Favre was a backup in Atlanta and Mark Brunell was a backup in Green Bay and Len Dawson was a backup in Cleveland and Rich Gannon was a backup in Kansas City. And none of those matter either because they're different guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, it may not be fair.
    Worst to First Baby

Like Shep liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah we have New England in a bind....check out the deal were getting!!!
    just beat it

Post Thanks / Like

Love Peter King and MMQB. One of my favorite things about him is he's confident enough to care what other people are saying. Great roundup of some of the best draftnicks out there, for instance.

King is blunt here, so be ready JG hatahs: On the same morning a rumor is getting repeated and recycled that "multiple teams" will bring blockbuster offers for Garoppolo, King says the Browns can and should win the derby... if he's available.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/27/n...cts-peter-king

I continue to think the Browns will avoid anything that feels too project-ey or Air Raid-ey, which probably leaves Garoppolo, Trubisky, and maybe Kizer. It's pretty certain they'd have to take Trubisky #1 and possible if not probable that Kizer will be gone at 12 as well. King says what I've been saying: It may not be fair but the Browns and Hue need to get their QB even though the situation is tough. It's time to stop being precious with draft picks and go get their QB, whether it's at #1 or in trade with the 12... and King says also the 65.

Interesting number: Browns have 8 of the top 150 picks, 2 more than anybody else.

Post Thanks / Like

....and yet SF is OPENLY shopping the #2...meaning they likely are NOT going QB with that pick.

The Bears? Maybe...but they could use secondary or DL as much as anyone else...and are releasing Alshon Jeffries.

Bills? Well, they are still with TT...and my gut says they stick with him.

That leaves the Jets and Browns....so I would guess the #12 pick garners either the 1st or 2nd QB off the board.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't coving for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Like twizbuck, dangerdom liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Browns don't take Trubisky he'll go 2nd or 3rd. I do find the SF movement rumors interesting. May know something about Cousins, either this year or next.

We also know Shanahan loves Garoppolo. A trade down puts them in a better position to make a move for him.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Kizer and Watson both get past the top three. Who trades up if anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody is trading up this year....at least I highly doubt it. Again...rushes on a position happen when everyone not only NEEDS the position...but there are consensus top players. There isn't in the QB class. In fact they are so vastly lower rated than the D players (and even a RB) that any QB selection will have to be viewed as a huge over reach.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't coving for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Add Mike Mayock:

Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot 36m36 minutes ago
    Mayock doesn't think Trubisky is ready & would give up 12 for Garoppolo. Says #Browns should be stoked if get an Allen at 1 & Jimmy G at 12

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be stoked if we get Allen at 1 and Trubisky/Kizer at 12...then we can continue to build this team around a kid with a 5 year prove it deal instead of a 4 year $80M albatross that we can't get out of.

Post Thanks / Like

Mayock, Brugler, and many others touting Garoppolo "at" 12 is interesting... because they're draftnicks. They're scouring this year's draftable QBs just like they did when JG came out and they say take JG.

Been my point all along.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha...Mayock also has Kizer as his #1 overall QB and Watson #2...with Trubisky #3. Since you have touted that Trubs is the consensus #1 QB...doesn't that invalidate his JG opinion?

Brugler has all 3 of the top QB's taken by #12...so maybe with that in mind I could understand why he might think JG is a valid option...no other option available theory.

My point is draftnicks almost NEVER take contracts into consideration. THey think of the draft in a vacuum. FO's don't do it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

This has turned into "Shep and Dawgfan joust interminably."

My point is just what I said: When several of the top draftnicks and guys like Clayton and King say the Browns should trade the 12 for JG, it means something to me because they were draftnicks when he came out and they're draftnicks now. They scouted JG hard back then and this year's guys now. They know all the top candidates and like JG best.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep going back to my original prediction: that unless the Browns draft Mahomes at #12 (and lock him in a film room for a season with David Lee), they're not going get the QBOTF at #12 or later. They're going to have to draft one of the few front-runner QBs at #1 overall. Problem is, I don't like overdrafting and I don't see Mahomes lasting until #33. So I hope the Browns can take each of their second-rounders from this year and next, and use them to get a late-first-round pick so they go defense at #1 and #12, then get Mahomes late in the first round.
    "Hillary Clinton belongs in the White House. Donald Trump belongs on my show."--Jerry Springer
    Cleveland Browns: 13 losing seasons in first 50 years. 15 losing seasons since 1999 -- and counting.
    Like Martin Eden liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Shep...it is a jousting match. I agree. But again, if all you are going by is draftnicks, you are leaving a ton of info on the table. Contracts, FO style, the fact THIS FO uses the Harvard trade value and NOT JJ's, the fact that all the ex-GM's are coming in on the side of JG is NOT worth a 1st rd pick. Like I said...a TON of info is being ignored.