Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Garoppolo Countdown, February Edition

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure anyone is going to meet their asking price. There was rumors over the last two seasons that teams have been asking about Jimmy, and I've seen it reported that 3rd round picks have been offered. That's it. To go from a 3rd round pick, to a 12th overall pick AND THEN SOME simply because of one-and-a-half games is pretty fucking silly.

I'm not stunned nobody is meeting their asking price. Nobody thought he was worth that much, and beating the Dolphins doesn't change that.
    Like Stray Dawg liked this post.

OconRecon is online now #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszler I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Patriots notebook: No serious offers yet for Jimmy Garoppolo https://t.co/fthbbdlGgx
    This makes sense to me. The Pats plan ought to be:

a) See if anyone offers a Bradford-like bounty pre-draft, if not, then wait...
    b) See if a QB goes down early, thereby forcing Bradford-like offers, if not, then then wait...
    c) See if a QB goes down late, before the trade deadline, and pull off a richer version of the Collins deal, if not, then wait...
    d) Franchise tag him and trade him, if not, then...
    e) Lose out and get nothing for him

There's a lot that can happen. Taking a "reasonable offer" in March only makes sense if you're dying for the draft picks. Maybe they are. They love draft picks, which is probably why they want a bunch of them in return.

This isn't Bill's first rodeo. I'm betting he's patient.
    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)
    OTA's: 5/23-25, 5/30-31, 6/1, 6/5-8, Veteran MiniCamp: 6/13-15

OconRecon is online now #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszler I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Fwiw, insiders saying the Browns are not into giving up 12 for JG. Think we've heard this a time or two.
    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)
    OTA's: 5/23-25, 5/30-31, 6/1, 6/5-8, Veteran MiniCamp: 6/13-15
    Like DawgFan liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

...and we would be, frankly, stupid to do so.

I have said it all along: Come the second round, think about it then.
    BROWNS 2017: I'M JASON LA CANFORA'S INSIDER
    "I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"My Mother's day card always says "Mum, I love you less than I love Joe Thomas. You can't even block, for fuck sakes." - brownsdownunder

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

"Hue and the guys are gonna turn that Frankenstein into a Frankenfine!" - next2nothing on RGIII

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

I would LOVE for the Browns to get Garoppolo with a package that doesn't include the 12 but not at the expense of whiffing on Trubisky, Watson, AND Garoppolo. Can't let that happen.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess....and again, that is all it is....is that JG is not going to be moved before the draft. There is absolutely ZERO reason to do so.

Right now, his trade value is at the highest it is going to be...unless a team totally whiffs on QB's in the draft.

So...as teams take QB's in the draft...or get them via FA or other less expensive trade values (McCarron for a 2nd, Glennon for a 3rd?), the market for JG is going to go down. As the draft goes...the likelihood of a team ponying up a high pick becomes less...and the likelihood of NE losing JG for nothing goes up. That tells me the Browns COULD hold out and get him for the 53rd and a 4th or something like that mid way into the 2nd round...all the while picking up 2 top D players and maybe one of the top TE's. Now THAT would be a scenario I could buy into.

#1 Garrett
    #12 S or CB best available
    #33 best TE available
    #53 (and a 4th) JG.

You don't give up much...

Now, I would prefer getting one of the rookies at #12 or #33...but you get what comes to you (unless you take at #1...and I don't see the Browns passing on Garrett)
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Like Martin Eden liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Love ya, DF... but that's a nightmare scenario in my book. Just chillin' at QB, like the 17 drafts before.

Post Thanks / Like

is it that far fetched for the Browns to move up to the 2 spot from the 12?
    just beat it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
    is it that far fetched for the Browns to move up to the 2 spot from the 12?
    4 is likely the furthest...and that is even a stretch.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Love ya, DF... but that's a nightmare scenario in my book. Just chillin' at QB, like the 17 drafts before.
    That scenario obviously entails the Browns truly being willing to go into the season with the QB room as it is....which I don't believe. But I think you are reading it wrong anyway.

This scenario likely takes place during the late 1st or early 2nd round. The Browns see they have lost the QB they wanted...and JG is the best choice left to them. I think of him more as a fallback than a goal...so it makes sense to me.

Like Stray Dawg, Martin Eden liked this post.