Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Garoppolo Countdown, February Edition

OconRecon is offline #ComeGetSome #TeamKieszlerweiler I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

McManaman claimed in one of his articles, if it's the 12 pick, the Browns would insist on Garoppolo signing an extended contract. It was kind of just buried in the middle of a paragraph and didn't elaborate. Suppose that makes sense, assuming we aren't signing Osweiller part 2.

One of Hue's constant themes in his interviews is he wants players "who make plays". Watson has to be part of his thought process.

Of all the options we've talked about, Watson embodies playmaking. Like no other, imho, although, it doesn't necessarily mean he's the one.

I'm least worried about our draft, other than figuring out QB. It seems the surest thing is the D will be fortified. GW will get new pieces.

- Most worried: We won't be aggressive enough in free agency. "Appropriately aggressive" doesn't really tell us anything and is qualifying as hell, although the Collins deal a darn good sign. Still concerned the rest will be Damario Davis's at most, and long shot Tyvis Powell's at least.
    - Mediumly worried: About not addressing the QB situation in a real way, and outsmarting ourselves.
    - Not worried: About improving the D. Especially via the draft. Williams is a massive improvement over casual Ray Horton too.
    Last edited by OconRecon; 02-11-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)
    Like dangerdom liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by next2nothing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't mind seeing Garrett at #1 and Watson at #12.
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post
    Right now, that'd be what I want most.
    Pre-combine, me three. Although Trubisky is a close second at #12 for me.

Have read Shanny would really like Trubisky, as "it's his type of QB". I kind of agree. Don't think Trubisky makes it to 12.
    2017 Draft class: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 Draft picks: Extra picks - a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), & a 6th (Steelers/Gilbert) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Post Thanks / Like

If he wants "someone who makes play's" that describes Mahomes ll to a tee
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"
    Like PlaygroundLegend liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't mind the Mahomes idea, other than he'd be the most worrisome "outsmart ourselves" candidate.

We go D at 1 and 12. Watson, Trubisky and Kizer go to some mix of the Bears, Niners, Bills, and Jets.

Then, late on Thursday night, the Texans take Mahomes and we start the 2nd round without Tyrod, Garoppolo, or a top drafted QB.

THAT's my true nightmare scenario. I'm always pretty positive after our drafts, but I'd struggle if that happened.
    Like Stray Dawg liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    Pre-combine, me three. Although Trubisky is a close second at #12 for me.

Have read Shanny would really like Trubisky, as "it's his type of QB". I kind of agree. Don't think Trubisky makes it to 12.
    Thirded

2012 Barking Hard Pick'em Champion!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.

PFF, with Browns analytics and Kevin Meers draft value chart math in mind, says:

Option 1
    Pats get: 12th overall and a 4th rounder
    Browns get: Garoppolo and the 32nd overall

Option 2
    Pats get: Titans 2017 2nd rounder and Eagles 2018 2nd rounder (both of which the Browns own)
    Browns get: Garoppolo + the (likely) 3rd round comp pick back from the Collins deal.

The Browns’ analytical approach can actually be pretty easily determined (besides what value they place on Garoppolo), because their current Director of Research and Strategy, Kevin Meers, wrote an article several years ago that took Jimmy Johnson’s famous draft trade value chart and made some much needed updates. He uses Pro Football Reference’s Career Approximate Values (CAV) to determine what each pick’s true value is, and while that’s not a perfect way to determine player value, it gives us insight as to how the Browns approach the draft and this potential trade.

Jimmy Garoppolo was the 62nd pick in the 2014 draft, and in this year’s draft, the Browns hold the first, 12th, 33rd, 50th, and 65th picks, while the Patriots have the 32nd, 64th, and 96th picks in the first three rounds (the Patriots potentially have a compensatory third-round pick acquired in the Jamie Collins trade). Initial reports/sources stated the Patriots wanted compensation similar to what the Eagles received in the Sam Bradford trade—a first and fourth-round pick. Considering the Browns have two first-round picks, they have the ammunition to make this happen, and also considering that the Patriots don’t have a fourth-round pick in the 2018 draft, the 12th overall pick and a fourth-round pick next year is in line with what New England wants.

However, I don’t see this scenario happening, as the Browns’ analytical approach covets draft picks, and if that fourth-round pick Cleveland trades is near the top of the round, that package is the equivalent of the fourth overall pick in the draft, based on the chart. Simply put, increasing the value of Garoppolo 58 spots in the draft based on six quarters of play is unlikely. A more likely scenario of the first- and fourth-round picks playing out is if the teams swap first-round picks, which places Garoppolo’s value at the No. 33 pick. Any conversation that starts with a straight first and fourth for Garoppolo won’t have legs when it comes to the Browns.

Another popular trade scenario is trading two second-round picks for Garoppolo. If the Browns trade both of their later second-round picks in 2017 (pick 50) and in 2018 (not set, but assume 50 again), that’s valuing Garoppolo as the 10th overall pick—another unlikely trade scenario. If the Patriots were to throw in their third-round pick (perhaps the compensatory pick they got in the Collins trade), that puts the value of Garoppolo as a late first-round pick, and closer to that No. 33 slot, like in the previous scenario.

Again, we have no idea how the Browns value Garoppolo, and a trade between the two teams will heavily rely on that, but expect the value of the Patriots’ backup to be closer to No. 33 than No. 12, and therefore a package deal that ends up with the Browns holding both their first-round picks and parting with some second-round picks in exchange for Garoppolo and another later-round pick.

So, who makes the move?

Of all the teams vying for Jimmy Garoppolo, the Browns have the most ammunition to make it happen. Both the Browns and the Bears have made several trades with the Patriots over the past two years, so the line of communication is open with the relationships positive. As promising as Garoppolo looked in limited action, he’s arguably a bigger risk than drafting one of the top QBs, since the team acquiring him will need to give him a big extension and commit a large sum of money to an unproven player. If Garoppolo is that good and Belichick trades him, expect him to most likely land in Chicago where he won’t contend with New England for the AFC title.
    Last edited by OconRecon; 02-11-2017 at 08:12 PM. Reason: messed up Option 1 on initial post

Post Thanks / Like

Option 1 is awful.

I'd take Option 2 all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twizbuck View Post
    Option 1 is awful.

I'd take Option 2 all day.
    Whoops, I had to edit.

Option 1

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, I had to edit.

Option 1
    Ok that's much better. Still prefer #2 though.
    Like OconRecon, Stray Dawg liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take #2. No way I'd give up 12 in this defensive draft
    I am proud of you, Hitler, you're taking steps forward. - Brownsdownunder

Post Thanks / Like

If they actually are going to go down this route and not draft a QB, Tyrod would be preferable to Jimmy G. If the Bills had any semblance of defense or self discipline this past year they'd be a playoff team. Tyrod's not a top tier QB but he's not bad at all. Plus if Buffalo lets him go I'd assume he'd have a big chip on his shoulder. But yeah I wouldn't want to give up a first rounder for either of them.

Post Thanks / Like

5 round mocks with the PFF trade criteria:

Option 1 trade: (if the Pats would take a future 4th)

TRADE: QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO - EIU/PATRIOTS
    1: R1P1 EDGE MYLES GARRETT TEXAS A&M
    2: R1P32 CB TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE LSU (instead of 12th overall)
    3: R2P1 S BUDDA BAKER WASHINGTON
    4: R2P20 LB RAEKWON MCMILLIAN OHIO STATE
    5: R3P1 DL CARLOS WATKINS CLEMSON
    6: R4P1 C ETHAN POCIC LSU
    7: R4P36 RB KAREEM HUNT TOLEDO
    8: R5P1 WR RYAN SWITZER NORTH CAROLINA

Option 2 trade:

TRADE: QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO - EIU/PATRIOTS
    2: R1P12 CB MARSHON LATTIMORE OHIO STATE
    3: R2P1 S JABRILL PEPPERS MICHIGAN
    (no longer have another 2nd round pick)
    4: R3P1 C PAT ELFLEIN OHIO STATE
    5: R3P38 OT CHAD WHEELER USC
    6: R4P1 TE JAKE BUTT MICHIGAN
    7: R4P36 DL RYAN GLASGOW MICHIGAN
    8: R5P1 WR RYAN SWITZER NORTH CAROLINA
    Last edited by OconRecon; 02-11-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sleeping on it, I'd do either of these in a heartbeat.

Option 1

Option 2
    Pats get: Titans 2017 2nd rounder and Eagles 2018 2nd rounder (both of which the Browns own)
    Browns get: Garoppolo + the (likely) 3rd round comp pick back from the Collins deal.

Option 1 - a blast for draft night. Lead off the show, and sit there lurking with the 32nd and 33rd all night. Total fun.
    Option 2 - probably the best deal, and again, a fun draft night with the 1st and 12th.

Fun is good and all, but most importantly, both options give us the maximum chance of day 1 starters. Garoppolo, two first rounders, and the 33rd.

Of course Belichick will want to max his value, innocent enough, but come on. 63 passes last year from a 3 year benchwarmer who was drafted 62nd overall. Getting a couple of mid second rounders (option 2) in return is damn good. Stepping over your Super Bowl trophy from 32nd to 12th (option 1) is also damn good. If the Bears or Niners want to get nutty and offer up their 1sts - let'em. Pass on Jimmy G and let's draft.

Defenses haven't even game planned for him yet. Wentz looked like a future HOF'r his first four games, but then tape was created, gameplans developed, and he was knocked down to below average - pronto.

The only problem with this PFF math, and Meers' draft value chart, is it doesn't take into account the emotional messiness that goes with QB's.

Here's what's going against Garoppolo to the Browns:

• If Shanny covets Garoppolo (remember, he liked Carr and Garoppolo), he could offer the 2nd overall.
    • If Chicago wants the hometown kid, the bidding war could get messy, and they could offer the 3rd overall.
    • The math-based, draft pick cherishing, analytic front office that is the Browns will likely not get caught up in emotional bidding.
    • Hue feels he can mold QB's. Sure, he'd like the best option, but it's likely he still feels he can develop a QB. That 6 QB mess of a first season has likely not shaken his confidence in this regard.

If I'm the Browns, I'd stick the draft value chart, just like you stick to your big board and the BPA philosophy. Zegura likes to say "heck, if Garoppolo turns out to be the QBoF, then he's worth even the top pick, or even 2 or 3 first rounders". But we just don't know that. I hate that line of thinking. You have to maintain reasonableness.
    Last edited by OconRecon; 02-12-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna be interesting for sure.

If the Browns go into draft night without Garoppolo, I just don't see them NOT taking a QB at #1. It's too risky to wait and hope. I would expect the Browns to take Trubisky but maybe they end up sold on Watson.

I don't see this scenario: They don't trade for Garoppolo and they don't take a QB at #1. It puts them in a position of overdrafting Mahomes at #33 or something knowing he's not gonna be ready to start for a couple years. And that's not at all the way Hue, Sashi, or anybody else is talking.

It's Garoppolo, Trubisky, or Watson. I would be shocked by Tyrod Taylor, frankly. Buffalo has an OC who loves him and they have him locked in at $15 mill a year for two years... but they let him walk? Why? Not a great endorsement for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Gonna be interesting for sure.

If the Browns go into draft night without Garoppolo, I just don't see them NOT taking a QB at #1. It's too risky to wait and hope. I would expect the Browns to take Trubisky but maybe they end up sold on Watson.

I don't see this scenario: They don't trade for Garoppolo and they don't take a QB at #1. It puts them in a position of overdrafting Mahomes at #33 or something knowing he's not gonna be ready to start for a couple years. And that's not at all the way Hue, Sashi, or anybody else is talking.

It's Garoppolo, Trubisky, or Watson. I would be shocked by Tyrod Taylor, frankly. Buffalo has an OC who loves him and they have him locked in at $15 mill a year for two years... but they let him walk? Why? Not a great endorsement for sure.
    Someone else stated that none of these college qb's will be capable of starting this year. Frankly I agree. So if it's not TT or JG, looks like a ringing endorsement of Kessler or Griffin.
    Cleveland Browns SuperBowl Era. I said it

Post Thanks / Like

Truth. And I don't see anybody ringing anything very loud for RG3 or Kessler (the latter will be a nice backup and sport starter for a few years). I wouldn't be stunned to see an older veteran like Fitzpatrick/Schaub brought in to go with Garoppolo/Trubisky and Kessler.

I said it elsewhere: Tyrod was 25th in PR last year. Under 7 YPA. Only 61% completion. Only 17 TDs. Not a very good year. He's not an example of shopping high for the most important thing on anybody's list. He's a settle if you really fucked it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Zegura not on the TT bandwagon at all. "You don't let good starting QB's go".

The only thing I like about TT is it makes our draft night simple.

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Zegura not on the TT bandwagon at all. "You don't let good starting QB's go".

The only thing I like about TT is it makes our draft night simple.
    Are we seriously ignoring that we're trusting the judgement of the guy who dropped a first round pick on E.J Manuel in the god-awful 2013 QB class?

Yeah, If Whaley kicks Taylor out, he must be trash. Because Whaley has shown such an aptitude for the QB position.

Let's face it, he didn't want Taylor. Ever. That right there is idiotic in and of itself - he just wanted to keep going with E.J Manuel. Rex Ryan pushed hard for Taylor and got his way, and Whaley is salty that he was ultimately proven wrong. Now he's got full control of the team, and a defensive-minded coach who can't step on any toes due to Whaley being Pegula's love child who can do no wrong.

This guy has nose dived the Bills roster, largely build off assets acquired before Whaley took over, straight into the ground. Now they're losing those assets and they're suddenly reverting back to being a losing team.

Hell, if Whaley doesn't want him, that just makes me want him more. Whaley is doing his best to get rid of Taylor so he can keep E.J Manuel. Brilliance. Hey, since he actually wants to keep Manuel, we should probably trade the #1 overall selection for him - after all, they're not letting him go so he must be a great starting QB.

I love Zegura's positivity, but he's as dumb as a bag of rocks.
    Like Enigmatic Evil liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not worrying about THIS YEAR...so none of the draft QB's starting this year is irrelevant. I am worrying about long term and who presents the best ability for the Browns to build and maintain a top notch team.

With that in mind...I agree JG may be the best QB for THIS YEAR...but I think Kizer/Watson/Trubisky/Mohomes all represent a higher end down the road in years 2-15. They also offer a longer career by at least 3 years based on age. They also offer a lower cost in years 1-5...as they will be on a rookie deal and JG will cost a new contract immediately. Forget about them waiting this year for the contract. Won't happen. If they trade for him, it will be with a long term contract in hand. That contract will cost us players in 2-3 years as we try to resign all these draft picks.

Right now...my draft would be:

#1: Garrett
    #12: Defense or one of Trubisky/Watson/Kizer
    #33: depends on #12, if D at #12 then Mahomes enters the equation and any QB not taken. if QB at #12, then D

I agree with those that think JG will be gone before the draft...but I tend to think he will go to the Bears. Reason is they are in a make or break season for the coaches and he is the most ready to start option.

I just refuse to borrow from the future for a 1 year head start.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Like Stray Dawg, KJP, CroBrownsBall, hoorta liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of agree.

The Bears makes a ton of sense.

An HC and FO who need to improve or risk their job.
    Cutler thing is tired.
    Home town kid.
    NFC team who is a ways from meeting the Pats in the Super Bowl.

I could see them doing the PFF deal. They get Garoppollo and the Pats 32nd overall. The Pats get 3rd overall and a mid rounder.

The Bears top needs are QB, DB, and O line. If I'm them, I'd lick my chops over this draft:

TRADE: QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO EASTERN ILLINOIS
    1: R1P32 CB TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE LSU
    2: R2P4 S BUDDA BAKER WASHINGTON
    3: R3P3 G DAN FEENEY INDIANA

btw, in the mock I used to generate the those Bears picks, the simulation gave us:

12: R1P12 LB REUBEN FOSTER ALABAMA
    33: R2P1 DL MONTRAVIUS ADAMS AUBURN
    52: R2P20 TE JORDAN LEGGETT CLEMSON
    65: R3P1 QB BRAD KAAYA MIAMI (FLA.)
    106: R4P1 OT CHAD WHEELER USC
    141: R4P36 G ZACH BANNER USC
    Last edited by OconRecon; 02-12-2017 at 07:39 PM.

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy to the Bears seems to most consistently have a lot of heat, too.

Also awesome in that scenario - it means Cutler is gone, and I could really see the Jets grabbing him to operate as a stop gap should Hackenberg not be where they want him to be. That's the situation they're looking at most heavily, and Cutler being up for gabs would be brilliant for them. Particularly given his friendship with Marshall.

That could really kill two birds with one stone, and leaves the QB at 12 wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

Good points BDU. Lots of balls in the air for the next couple of months.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really up to the Browns as far as Garoppolo goes... unless we really think the Bears will offer the 3rd overall pick which even I think if nucking futs. I think the highest pick on any table is the #12 overall. I agree that it gets a lot more fair if the Browns add in one of their 213 4th round picks and the Patriots give us something back, like that 32nd pick. Hell, I'd take the 64th and we'd have 3 2nd round picks AND the 65th pick too.

Browns can do a lot with the #1 overall, 32, 33, 52, 64 and 65. And since the #1 overall isn't a QB, trade it to someone who's drooling over Garrett or wants to jump someone else for Trubisky and pile up even more premium picks. There's some heat on the Titans being willing to trade up... so get the 5, the 18, and maybe a 4th rounder back.

5 (Hooker), 18 (Charlton), 32 (CB?), 33 (Baker), 52 (Pocic), 64, and 65... and about 4 4th round picks to use if you wanna move any of those up several spots. That's 7 picks by the first of round 3 and 11 in the first 4 rounds... and you already have your QB.

That's the stuff books are written about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    5 (Hooker), 18 (Charlton), 32 (Tre White), 33 (Baker), 52 (Pocic)
    64 LB Raekwan McMillian
    65 CB Corn Elder or DL Chris Wormley or TE Jake Butt or DL Carlos Watkins or JuJu
    Last edited by OconRecon; 02-12-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    Like Shep liked this post.