Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Garoppolo Countdown, February Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Shep. I propose a gentleman's bet.

If the Browns trade for JG...I will put the following in my signature for 3 months: "Shep is THE QB MASTER! I shall NEVER question his word on QB's lest I be struck from this earth!"

If the Browns do not trade for JG...you put "I am a QB slut. I cannot help myself. I am always in love with a QB and am almost always wrong."
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shep. I propose a gentleman's bet.

If the Browns trade for JG...I will put the following in my signature for 3 months: "Shep is THE QB MASTER! I shall NEVER question his word on QB's lest I be struck from this earth!"

If the Browns do not trade for JG...you put "I am a QB slut. I cannot help myself. I am always in love with a QB and am almost always wrong."
    I am up for any Shep-invented signature if JG is a Brown.
    Same if Jimmy gets traded anywhere.

Billy wants to replenish some of the talent.
    He will trade Jimmy only if he gets a top 15 pick.
    He always turns turds to bronze.
    Well, mediocre talent scares the Pat centric media guys.
    They want a Fournette or someone to ease the load.
    Only problem is, no one is trading a high pick for unknown.
    That 's how you fuck up a franchise.

As a lot of people mentioned, Brady is 40.
    Like it or not, one injury away from retirement.
    A HOF coach is aware of that and he won 't let Jimmy go.
    He won 't let him go if he is legit.

That is, if what Shep has said about him is true.
    In 2 threads strictly dedicated to him and many others.
    Rocket arm, lightning release, processing 2nd to Brady.
    Because he taught him everything he knew.

If Jimmy was what Shep said and the Pats were willing...
    To trade a franchise guy and I had something they want...
    *note: franchise guy is a top 5 QB
    I 'd give them the draft.
    Whole.
    If I had a team that wouldn 't limit him.
    http://www.barkinghard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1122_6.gif

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take that bet!!!

For me, it's simple: If you don't think the Browns have a clear favorite in the draft who they pretty much have to take #1 then you think there's at least a likelihood they've already traded the #12 for Garoppolo.

Option C is they don't really have a favorite, didn't have time to figure it out, and they'll just wait and see how things fall. I don't get the sense that the Browns are approaching the quarterback position that way, this year.

If they've locked on to Trubisky or Watson (I doubt the latter), they have zero choice but to take him #1. If you believe they're taking Garrett, you believe neither of those guys is THEIR guy. Which logically suggests their guy is Garoppolo (unless we believe Breer and everybody else is lying about how much the Browns dig him).

I know I'm being reductionist but it's tough to NOT choose one of those two outcomes: Trubisky or Watson at #1... or Garoppolo with the #12. Otherwise you're talking about Kizer at 12 or REALLY checking down and going for a so-so vet (Taylor) or a lower pick. Does anybody really get the sense that's how the Browns are going to deal with their QB problem?

Me neither. And with my gut saying the Browns ARE taking Garrett at #1, that doesn't leave a whole lot of other probable outcomes other than Garoppolo with the 12. So I'll take the bet!!!

EDIT: BTW, my best chance to lose, I think... is Tyrod Taylor.
    Like The Hammer liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically stay away from ESPN, but I have noticed them pushing hard for the Browns to gift the Patriots the number one overall pick for JG. Polian was on air the other day mentioning the number one overall and now they have an article up on their site.

I would not have a problem with 12, but first overall is insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
    I typically stay away from ESPN, but I have noticed them pushing hard for the Browns to gift the Patriots the number one overall pick for JG. Polian was on air the other day mentioning the number one overall and now they have an article up on their site.

I would not have a problem with 12, but first overall is insane.
    Lmao.......Fuck ESPN, the Patsies, JG, and Bill Polian! Fuck em all!
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"
    Like hoorta liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

It does sound crazy. And it's definitely an "unfair trade" by almost any stretch.

But if what seems to be the entire NFL personnel community is right and Garoppolo is going to be at least a very good starting quarterback in the league? There's not a damn thing Myles Garrett could be to equal that payout. Nothing. Not even close.

Still a crazy trade but that's the underlying reality of it. "A very good starting QB trumps an elite anything else."

ChowMeinChad is online now The winds of shit are in the air. Backup QB
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's just get this out of the way now.

ESPN = fake news.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChowMeinChad View Post
    Let's just get this out of the way now.

ESPN = fake news.
    I'd say that's pretty accurate.......your tempting me to bring back my signature
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

Like Enigmatic Evil, Farang liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing we didn't hire Polian as our "football guy"
    I am proud of you, Hitler, you're taking steps forward. - Brownsdownunder

Real patriotism isn't how you treat a flag. It's how you treat Americans.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is Shep, you are attributing quotes from NE Patriot affiliated people (repeated by the media types) as a consensus. Nobody has heard word 1 from any team that even remotely would have a potential interest in JG saying he is even on their radar. (EDIT: the fact is they CAN'T...it is called meddling with a signed player...and they would lose draft picks...so all the info out there is from NE or their contacts)

Now, don't get me wrong. If he comes available for our 52nd pick...and he does a prove it contract....I am willing to take a shot on him. I also believe that is the circumstances that the Browns will consider him...as their goal is to build a young team and keep those players, they are not going to risk that plan on an all or nothing contract for somebody else's backup with 2 starts.

The problem is, I don't see NE moving him for less than a 1st value (again, fishing trip), and I don't see JG agreeing to a prove it contract this year when he will have all the cards next year (and teams won't have to pony up a pick). The ONLY participant in the scenario you are espousing (and the media no nothings) that is likely to be willing to do that deal is the Patriots...and they would also likely be the only winner.

Again...
    1) teams will wait as he comes free next year (unless he comes free for a mid 2nd or worse...or the Bears panic)
    2) JG will wait as he is an UFA next year and has full control...so he will NOT do a long term contract with a team he doesn't want
    3) Osweiler is the reason teams will shy from a long term full contract
    4) Cousins is the reason teams will shy from doing the deal WITHOUT a long term prove it contract

It just doesn't pass the sniff test.
    Last edited by DawgFan; 02-18-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Like jaydog, Stray Dawg, hoorta liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Browns are going w/ Tribisky so im not sure we need JG.....
    just beat it
    Like nickers, Enigmatic Evil liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Garoppolo doesn't have to agree to anything. The Patriots trade him to the Browns for a #12 overall, which I think is fair enough (although I've heard other picks could go both ways). The Browns control his rights for 2017 AND 2018 (franchise). They can absolutely do the deal without an extension in place.

And yes, the Patriots are gonna move Garoppolo.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep forgetting that. Zegura made the same point. You'd get him for 3 years minimum if you like him. 4th year of rookie contract, tag him, and tag him again.

Soooooo, could you see a scenario where we go with Garrett or Allen out of the shoot, and hope the QB we like is there at 12. BUT, say a QB run happens, and some combo of the Niners, Bills, Jets, and Bears take the big 3.

Could there be a draft night deal to get Jimmy at 12? Belichick would know exactly who's he's getting at that moment and we'll know we didn't miss out by doing a deal predraft. Everyone knows as much as possible.
    2017 Draft: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 EXTRA Draft picks: a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), a 5th (Chiefs/Cam) - 12 total
    2019 EXTRA picks: 7th rnd (w/ Coates)
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)
    Like Shep liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    I keep forgetting that. Zegura made the same point. You'd get him for 3 years minimum if you like him. 4th year of rookie contract, tag him, and tag him again.

Soooooo, could you see a scenario where we go with Garrett or Allen out of the shoot, and hope the QB we like is there at 12. BUT, say a QB run happens, and some combo of the Niners, Bills, Jets, and Bears take the big 3.

Could there be a draft night deal to get Jimmy at 12? Belichick would know exactly who's he's getting at that moment and we'll know we didn't miss out by doing a deal predraft. Everyone knows as much as possible.
    I think the qb we like will be there at 12 since most are projecting him a second rounder
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

Like OconRecon, Gambler liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

But say he isn't, here's draft night trade mock, whereby we swap spots with the Pats and obtain JG. Draft could look like:

1: R1P1 DL JONATHAN ALLEN ALABAMA
    T: (R1P12) QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO EASTERN ILLINIOIS
    2: R1P32 EDGE MALIK MCDOWELL MICHIGAN STATE
    3: R2P1 S JABRILL PEPPERS MICHIGAN
    4: R2P20 CB GAREON CONLEY OHIO STATE
    5: R3P1 S EDDIE JACKSON ALABAMA
    6: R4P1 TE JORDAN LEGGETT CLEMSON
    7: R4P36 WR RYAN SWITZER NORTH CAROLINA
    8: R5P1 C TYLER ORLOSKY WEST VIRGINIA
    9: R5P31 EDGE BRIAN COX FLORIDA
    10: R5P35 RB ELIJAH HOOD NORTH CAROLINA
    11: R6P1 LB HARDY NICKERSON ILLINOIS
    2017 Draft: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Ogunjobi, Collins (via trade of 103), Wilson, Johnson, Brantley, Gonzalez, Dayes
    2018 EXTRA Draft picks: a 1st (Texans), two in 2nd (Eagles & Texans), a 4th (Panthers/A.Lee), a 5th (Chiefs/Cam) - 12 total
    Philly trade result: C. Coleman, Peppers, Kizer, Kessler, R. Louis, S. Coleman, Drango, Kindred, Payton, 2018 1st rndr (Texans) & 2018 2nd rndr (Eagles)

Post Thanks / Like

Using the Harvard Draft Value Chart, this trade would put Jimmy G's current draft value equivalent at 6th overall.
    Like Shep liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

He's dreaming. Then again, Browns org has been known to do moronic things, maybe that's what he is thinking.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to dig up Romo's EIU stats. there's over a decade between him and Garoppolo, but it's the best comparison I can think of, better than Wentz at least.

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=3357

2002 - 258/407, 63.4%, 3165 YDS, 34 TD, 16 INT, 148.4 RAT

(I don't know how accurate this is, had a hell of a time finding stats)

Garoppolo

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/193289/

2013 - 375/568, 66%, 5050 YDS, 53 TD, 9 INT, 168.3 RAT

Oh what the hell, let's throw in Wentz.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...n-wentz-1.html

2015- 130/208 (Injured, played 7 games), 62.5%, 1651 YDS, 17 TD, 4 INT, 152.3 RAT

The INT concerns are vastly overblown, and he was lights out in every other category. So, let's not harp on that part, ok?
    Like OconRecon liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

He had 14 and 15 in the previous two years with far less passes. But that is all besides the primary reasons not to do it.

JG vs Draft Pick = Oversized contract on a guy that hasn't proven anything vs a rookie deal
    JG vs TT = no draft picks on TT
    JG vs KC = proven vs unproven

Basically, I can't see a single scenario where JG is the best option

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    JG vs Draft Pick = Oversized contract on a guy that hasn't proven anything vs a rookie deal
    Yeah, but this fall, Garoppolo is cheaper than any first round QB, and if he works out, we can tag him until 2020 while working on a contract. If he succeeds in year 1 with the Browns, then the price of tagging is so not a biggie.

There's something I don't love about him though, and I definitely don't like the loss of draft picks he'll likely cost. But I like even less whiffing on the QB situation totally, so whatever it takes to make sure we legitimately address the position.
    Like twizbuck liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Dawg, dude, c'mon: Garoppolo is 25 so he's not much older than the guys in the draft. Do we know more about him than we do them? After 45 college starts, three preseason schedules, and two fantastic NFL starts? Objectively, yes. And it's all good. Even though he's just 25, he's been taught and coached by McDaniels while watching Brady. It showed in those two starts this season.

He's very similar in just about every regard to Trubisky, slated to go #2 overall. About the same size, both with great wheels, both with elite arm talent. Garoppolo has a faster release (than anybody) and would have to be considered more "day one ready," although I think Trubisky looks like a guy who could be ready for the opener.

I suppose there are people out there who actually think Tyrod Taylor will be a better QB than Jimmy over the next five years... but they're few and far between. If Cousins becomes a real discussion -- the Redskins say he won't, at least not this year before going to SF -- we can have it. But that's not really on the table.

I think the "high end" candidates who could conceivably start next year are Trubisky, Garoppolo, and Taylor. I think Mahomes and Watson (and that could very well be their order by the time the draft happens) need time... and I worry about any QB who threw a lot of picks in college even after a lot of experience.

I'm not saying Mahomes is out of the question. I will say I don't expect the Browns to get that far down the list. I think it'll be Trubisky, Garoppolo, or Taylor. I think the third one is a decent sized dropoff.

I'm not starting my strategy by looking at price tags in dollars or draft picks. I'm looking to get my very favorite QB available because I can have him if I'm the Browns. I have the most money and the highest picks... and I know everything else falls several pages down the list after quarterback.

So that's my question to Hue and Sashi: Who's my #1 guy? Who's my favorite to answer the Browns longstanding QB question? We can figure out every other need with ease... but first I'm getting the #1 QB on my board.

For me, it's clearly Trubisky or Garoppolo.
    Like OconRecon liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I swear I did not write this... but I could've:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...m-for-patriots

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    But say he isn't, here's draft night trade mock, whereby we swap spots with the Pats and obtain JG. Draft could look like:

1: R1P1 DL JONATHAN ALLEN ALABAMA
    T: (R1P12) QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO EASTERN ILLINIOIS
    2: R1P32 EDGE MALIK MCDOWELL MICHIGAN STATE
    3: R2P1 S JABRILL PEPPERS MICHIGAN
    4: R2P20 CB GAREON CONLEY OHIO STATE
    5: R3P1 S EDDIE JACKSON ALABAMA
    6: R4P1 TE JORDAN LEGGETT CLEMSON
    7: R4P36 WR RYAN SWITZER NORTH CAROLINA
    8: R5P1 C TYLER ORLOSKY WEST VIRGINIA
    9: R5P31 EDGE BRIAN COX FLORIDA
    10: R5P35 RB ELIJAH HOOD NORTH CAROLINA
    11: R6P1 LB HARDY NICKERSON ILLINOIS
    Your killin me bro
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Dawg, dude, c'mon:
    Maybe it's that we have to deal with Belicheck. That's probably it. That's probably what gets me.

The "miss" that bothers me the most is we take Garrett at 1, then Shanny takes Trubisky at 2. And that probably gets me because he's a Cleveland kid.

Both thoughts dumb on my part really.
    Last edited by OconRecon; 02-18-2017 at 07:40 PM.