Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: The Kizer-Kessler Thread!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damajuki View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good golly, I hope Osweiler isn't starting Game 1 -- or any game -- this year. If Osweiler starts any games while K/K are healthy that would mean *both* of the QBs the Browns drafted were beaten out by a guy we literally got as a throw-in for a draft pick. Not a great sign for K/K, nor a great way to build something for the future.

Osweiler is nothing more than a camp arm and a professional QB, at this point, for me. I have no interest in seeing if he can discover his upside because if we're going to go the "upside" route, why wouldn't you just start Kizer? What can Osweiler do that Kizer can't?

I don't mean at this point, obviously, but four months from now when we open the season, I simply can't imagine that Osweiler is the best QB for the Browns in 2017.

And if he is...well, we'll be drafting Josh Allen, almost certainly.
    Maybe you need to read DF's post above explaining why Osweiler might be a good fit for Hue's offense. I must admit that he has got me thinking.

The problem for this year is that this is a new offense for Osweiler and Osweiler is competing against a guy who has a year's head start in the offense. However, as Osweiler, himself, explained in his recent press conference, this is not his first time to learn a new offense; he says he has had to learn four or five offenses already and, after a while, one get a sense of how to study for the next one.

Thus, he likely would have an advantage over a rookie looking at an NFL playbook for the first time. We shall see, but the guy certainly has the arm for it. I don't think Kizer has a prayer with the offense this year unless they dumb it down specifically for him. But Osweiler is certainly not new to any concept that might be required and if the offense fits him, it might work.

And supposing it worked out, it sure would be fun to say: We got Osweiler and a second rounder for what????
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz
    Like Dan in Florida liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, sure, it would be great if Osweiler suddenly turned into a #1 starter. He got paid to be one so I supposed I could get excited about hoping it actually happens here.

But, truth be told, I have a really hard getting excited about a QB on his third team who got overpaid after one average season in a friendly offense he learned from the very start of his career.

What's that I said? He learned the offense from the very start before looking like an average NFL starter after three years? Who does that sound like, I wonder?

Which is to say that Osweiler followed the pattern we want Kessler to follow: drafted later with promise, worked his way up to #1, performed adequately.

I'm not sure what to make of Osweiler's skills/judgment after he left Denver for the money and then failed miserably. Perhaps he has been humbled and can be saved. But I'm not hopeful. It just doesn't happen that often and we just went through the failed QB reclamation project last year. I'm not excited to try it again.
    Like Stray Dawg liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I live in Texas, I get all the Texan games, and what amazed me about Osweiler is the number of passes he had knocked down by defensive linemen. He's 6' 7", but he sure doesn't play like a 6' 7" QB.
    "That is the long *%#@ of truth that you both continue to juggle around your mouth..."
    Like Stray Dawg liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I ain't saying is or ain't, but BF did make a point that got me thinking and then I listened to Hue's press conference which kept me thinking. It seemed he talked a lot more about Osweiler than the other quarterbacks. Maybe it had to do with the questions. He kind of started it off with a joke suggesting that they go look at his film in response to a question about him being characterized by some as a pass-first coach. And I suppose the question about the read option that Osweiler did in practice kept it going, and then when he noted that Osweiler had been a pleasant surprise, that undoubtedly led to additional questions about what he had expected. So it might have just happened that way. But he seemed to enjoy talking about his tall, gangly quarterback. We shall see. I feel somewhat encouraged that Osweiler might turn out to be a viable option.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damajuki View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a really hard getting excited about a QB on his third team who got overpaid after one average season in a friendly offense he learned from the very start of his career.
    He had to learn a new offense his only year starting in Denver as Gase had left to be the Dolphins HC and Kubiak's playbook/scheme is very different. I do think there's a real chance he can be very successful in Hue's run heavy scheme if the O-line holds up. I think people forget how good he was for a significant part of the 2015 season. Just watch him vs. the Bears, Patriots, Bengals and others.