Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Player(s) Who Make the Leap

Post Thanks / Like

It's not hate. I didn't say the guys suck, now did I. I simply find a statement that there will be no drop off with them, compared to the guys ahead of them, highly laughable. You really think either of those guys come with the expected ability of the #1 pick in the draft, who by most accounts is an alledged generational prospect, and the production that should produce?

You will have to forgive that I don't fanboy out for every player who puts on a browns uniform
    Like Brownsfan, Enigmatic Evil liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont get the Xavier Cooper situation... he has it all but just cant put it together

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Masters View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Won't be much of a drop off with Orchard and Nassib? LMFAO. Shit last year one of Nassib sacks he was credited with he didn't even touch the QB.
    Nassib needed to add some muscle to Go with his effort. He has.

Go Browns!
    Having all the tools doesn't make you a Mechanic.
    Like Enigmatic Evil liked this post.

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not hate. I didn't say the guys suck, now did I. I simply find a statement that there will be no drop off with them, compared to the guys ahead of them, highly laughable. You really think either of those guys come with the expected ability of the #1 pick in the draft, who by most accounts is an alledged generational prospect, and the production that should produce?

You will have to forgive that I don't fanboy out for every player who puts on a browns uniform
    I'm with you on this one.

Garrett and Ogbah are our starters for a reason. It is really encouraging that Nassib and Orchard look good, but I don't think either can consistently impact the game the way we've seen Ogbah impact the game, and the way Garrett seems poised to impact the game.

I can understand that perspective for the DT position. They're not tasked with making as many big impact plays. A big part of their jobs is simply holding the point of attack, not getting pushed off the mark or being moved to create a lane. When that is coupled with the clear decline of the big men when fatigue sets in, the depth can certainly play a role in providing a rest for the starters without significant decline.

For the most part, though, you're going to see a drop off when your starters come out of the game. That's why I'm always a little cautious when we talk about the rotations we'll see on the defense. It is a nice idea, but in the heat of the moment, you want your best 11 men on the field at much as possible.

nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownsdownunder View Post

Garrett and Ogbah are our starters for a reason. It is really encouraging that Nassib and Orchard look good, but I don't think either can consistently impact the game the way we've seen Ogbah impact the game, and the way Garrett seems poised to impact the game.

I can understand that perspective for the DT position. They're not tasked with making as many big impact plays. A big part of their jobs is simply holding the point of attack, not getting pushed off the mark or being moved to create a lane. When that is coupled with the clear decline of the big men when fatigue sets in, the depth can certainly play a role in providing a rest for the starters without significant decline.

For the most part, though, you're going to see a drop off when your starters come out of the game. That's why I'm always a little cautious when we talk about the rotations we'll see on the defense. It is a nice idea, but in the heat of the moment, you want your best 11 men on the field at much as possible.
    Especially late in games when you have scenarios where the game is on the line.. you always want your most experienced...
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am mostly with you. Except I have yet to see Ogbah "impact" a game. He has a lot to prove still. If Garrett lives up to his billing, Ogbah's life just got much easier, so there will be no excuses for him.

Nassib and Orchard to date have not done much of anything to even dream of them stepping and there being no drop off at the DE. Folks get way to ahead of themselves over some production against other teams Cam Ervings in a preseason game.

Post Thanks / Like

I am mostly with you. Except I have yet to see Ogbah "impact" a game. He has a lot to prove still. If Garrett lives up to his billing, Ogbah's life just got much easier, so there will be no excuses for him.

Nassib and Orchard to date have not done much of anything to even dream of them stepping and there being no drop off at the DE. Folks get way to ahead of themselves over some production against other teams Cam Ervings in a preseason game.
    Agreed Ogbah has to take that next step. As a rookie, I loved what I saw. He was easily our most disruptive pass rusher and he was relatively solid against the run.

He looks like he's come back bigger and more chiselled. We didn't get the opportunity to see much in the first preseason game, and I don't see Gregg messing around with his starting ends too much in preseason, but so far everything seems positive.

I'm just worried about the DT position beside him. I'm happy to hear Coley has been a stand out in camp, and see that backed up with his excellent preseason performance, but that was a huge liability for us last year. If Garrett and Ogbah don't have to commit too much to accounting for their inside collapsing pocket integrity, I think both can be stars for us.

I'm also excited for the season to start and find out what kind of blitzing Gregg has dialled up. That's his bread and butter. We've got two hard hitting safeties in Peppers and Kindred, two ultra athletic linebackers in Kirksey and Collins, Schobert might have been the best on field in the first preseason game, and we've already seen that Taylor, Haden and BBC don't mind flying in off the edge. That should be a lot of fun, and help take pressure off the ends.

I'm keen for this season. The defense could potentially take a bigger leap than we'd previously counted on. That has to start with Ogbah and Garrett being who we hope they are.

Post Thanks / Like

The players Im most excited to see this year.. are..

Crow
    Peppers
    Shelton
    Garret

In that order. Im expecting big things from those 4.

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

Post Thanks / Like

When I started the thread, I didn't have rookies in mind. But that's ok. If they can make the leap from college to the pros in year 1? I'd say the Browns finally hit on the draft.
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

Post Thanks / Like

Coley's athletic profile suggests that he should be a high end level DT in the NFL. Not sure why he has bounced around, but if his technique is on point, he could be very good.
    Like Stray Dawg liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe the Show

Has to beat out Tank....be nice to see someone step forward and slam the door on this competition.
    just beat it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Little bummed at how Bryant's played so far. Hope it's just rust. Also weird that Ogunjobi and Brantley are so clearly behind Coley. But someone's gonna seize that 3-tech spot next to Shelton. Lots of candidates.

Meder looks like a player to me. Somebody's gotta go... could be Bryant. Nassib can also play inside. Xavier Cooper is looking like toast.
    Brantley has been hurt but I hope he's been able to do the practice reps, even if he can't get in a scrimmage or game yet. What's his timetable for returning?

I don't see how Modern can make this team unless Bryant is gone.

Oh, and I'll add Orchard to my two "jump" candidates BBC and Schobert.
    "Hillary Clinton belongs in the White House. Donald Trump belongs on my show."--Jerry Springer
    Cleveland Browns: 13 losing seasons in first 50 years. 15 losing seasons since 1999 -- and counting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJP View Post
    Brantley has been hurt but I hope he's been able to do the practice reps, even if he can't get in a scrimmage or game yet. What's his timetable for returning?

I don't see how Modern can make this team unless Bryant is gone.

Oh, and I'll add Orchard to my two "jump" candidates BBC and Schobert.
    Maybe he can "re-injure" his finger and go on IR, stash him away for the year.
    I am proud of you, Hitler, you're taking steps forward. - Brownsdownunder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlaygroundLegend View Post
    I dont get the Xavier Cooper situation... he has it all but just cant put it together
    Some guys excell at the NCAA level but are mediocre at best in the pros. It happens a lot.
    BROWNS 2017: ANALYTICS, IT'S NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU TRY IN THE BEDROOM ANYMORE!

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Would be great if Kessler can. I'll go with Peppers though, great athlete. Think he'll be a stud

Post Thanks / Like

Nassib played hurt last year. I'd wager he will impact the outcome of games every bit as much or more than Ogbah this year. Even as a backup. They should both be fun to watch.
    God Bless America

Worst to First Baby

"Do you have to be a prick every day of your life"

"there's no lessen to learn the 2nd time a calf kicks you in the balz"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Dawg View Post
    Nassib played hurt last year. I'd wager he will impact the outcome of games every bit as much or more than Ogbah this year. Even as a backup. They should both be fun to watch.
    Agree to disagree.

I've been a little disappointed with him. Ogbah and Garrett have, by all accounts, been our best in camp, and have solidified themselves as the starters. Then in the Saints game, Carl played well but he was completely overshadowed by Orchard, who had a monster game. Cam Johnson will be returning, and I've seen quite a few people saying he has been impressive thus far.

Carl needs to step up. I thought he might be a chance to take serious reps away from Ogbah/Garrett, but I've not seen much that indicates him taking a big leap.