Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Season New Hunger The Must Win Now Season

Post Thanks / Like

Kid is maturing at a very fast pace. He's flashed but he definitely looks to be putting it together now and I'd wager Milwaukee could find themselves watching a generational talent leave town one day.

Dunno what their cap room is like but they had to have this in mind all along.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!
    Like madmadworld liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Master Chief

Well that was a fun watch. we struggled, looked unbeatable all in 48 minutes. getting to watch the GOAT is just amazing. he is like a Master Chief working Magic with all these new ingredients.

JR starting was the right move no matter how it happened lol he was all over the court on D and couldn't make a shot, yet was great. those shots will start falling.
    Frye played a good 7 minutes in the first half but did not get off the bench in the 2nd............ WTF with that ?

Go Cavs
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm
    Like Enigmatic Evil liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Lue is still feeling it out. The encouraging thing to me is that he's being creative. LeBron is still playing way more minutes than I'd like to see, by about at least 5 but that's what it is I guess. He basically rolled a 9 man bench so maybe being ahead gives him a bit more liberty to feel he can do those kinds of things but man grinding LeBron 41 minutes, a night after he played 37... that's a good way to run your GOAT in to the ground.

Good rule is you want your best guys on the court, so I get that.

Was Wade a healthy scratch?

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was Wade a healthy scratch?
    Did not see him dressed or not. but he can't play back to back... can he ? ESPN box score has him DNP-LEFT KNEE CONTUSION.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Piicking up wins

but man grinding LeBron 41 minutes, a night after he played 37... that's a good way to run your GOAT in to the ground.
    Good rule is you want your best guys on the court, so I get that.
    LBJ seems to makes the call.

Lue is still feeling it out. The encouraging thing to me is that he's being creative. He basically rolled a 9 man bench so maybe being ahead gives him a bit more liberty to feel he can do those kinds of things
    Missing Rose is just tossing rocks in the soup. being without him or Wade is manageable but both out just too much. Jose looks 40 now, he was never quick. this is all just trying too pick up wins we won't be right till March, when IT is back a Month or so.

We avoid the slow start better but TO's were a bitch and just too little at the end.... so close to stealing it.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right that James probably makes the ultimate call. If he says "put me in", what coach is gonna say no?

I just see we sit a lot of guys who could get some token minutes to try and earn a role or spell the starters for a few minutes...

Past conjecture centered a lot around LeBron's supposed worry with his minutes. Maybe he was a bit more dinged up, maybe he knows he has to how while guys are hurt. The thing is not worrisome yet.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!
    LOL! madmadworld laughed at this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm out

You're right that James probably makes the ultimate call. If he says "put me in", what coach is gonna say no?
    It was last game or the one before, there was a stoppage no one at the table and LBJ just walked off. the announcers (not ours) were a bit stunned... at this. I was double watching 2 things likely another game, looked up and someone was checking in as I recall. LMAO

LOL! Enigmatic Evil laughed at this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulls win their first game, after watching them vs. the Cavs and the Raptors, I feel like they could be a team playing funwrecker late in the year. Sneaking in to the playoffs, playing good team ball and upsetting a higher seed. They just need someone to step up and be 'the guy' on a consistent basis. Be great for them if it was a young kid like Valentine or Markannen (who's already like their best guy as a rook) to continue to step up.

Grizz move to 4-1, speaking of impressive rookies: Dillon Brooks continues to put in the work. My favourite thing on Reddit is a redditor's quest to compare the rook to Michael Jordan. Five games in, a very facetious evaluation has Brooks superior in every game thus far but the kid is playing very good.

Boogie willed the Pellicans over his former team, 41 pts and 23 rebounds... but more importantly, WTF is Vince Carter doing in Sacramento? Is it worth it for 7 minutes a night? I get that Coach Fizz didn't want to have to rely on him for 15-20 min a night in Memphis again but shit couldn't find a better place to ride in to the sunset?
    Last edited by Enigmatic Evil; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:42 AM.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Vince Carter is the single most polarizing figure of the history of my sports fandom. That's certainly an exaggeration but beyond analyzing that statement further I'm going to derail the thread for a moment just to talk about a guy who has just been truly influential to me as a sports fan. To see him playing what is likely his final NBA season in a place like Sacramento, it is heartbreaking to me. However, he was probably not offered 8 mill to play anywhere else.

Vince Carter entered the NBA in a time when basketball was hardly my favourite sport. 1999 would have been around the height of my fandom for Professional Wrestling as the Monday Night Wars were still hot, but ultimately winding down. Hockey and Baseball were like national staples but the Canucks were in the midst of what would be remembered as the Mark Messier dark age and the Blue Jays were in a similar purgatory of mediocrity. My beloved Vancouver Grizzlies got token TV coverage and were quite awful. Like the Browns now, I would watch any game I could and it was almost certain they would lose. I had the joy of watching my favourite player, Shareef Abdur-Rahim. I had his poster on my wall as a kid, and he's always been my "homer" favourite.

This was the beginning a flux period of sports fandom. My favourite football player, Doug Flutie, left the CFL for the NFL and the NFL would eventually come to be my favourite sport for a long time (until recent years). I had no allegiance to an NFL team but thanks to new video game technology, I would adopt the Cleveland Browns as they were the 'new' team in my new Madden game! Old favourites would begin to wane, as things changed. Wrestling became more-or-less monopolized and the lows would continue to surge for my favourite Hockey and Baseball teams for different periods of time so my interest in those sports waned as well. So football, and baseball, were the beneficiaries.

I was not always a Raptors fan, but became one out of neccesity because the Grizzlies left my nation. The Raptors were initially that team from Toronto... lumped in with the other Toronto teams you hated because you weren't from there and Canada is funny like that. The Maple Leafs, the Argonauts, the teams you didn't root for because there were Canadian alternatives. However basketball was a tad different because there was kind of a kinship between the Grizzlies and Raptors.

When the Raptors drafted Vince Carter, everything changed. The Nation as a whole began to embrace the sport of basketball. Kids who grew up watching Vince Carter and the Toronto Raptors, or became fond of other teams, what you're now seeing is an explosion of Canadian born talent in the NBA but I digress again, Vince Carter was arguably the most exciting athlete in the entire association and he was Toronto's. The highs that came with a second round exit to Allen Iverson's 76ers felt like they would never be topped and for quite some time in Toronto they were not. That was the highest sports high the city of Toronto would have in a long time. His impact went beyond the fact that they only ever made the second round. Carter's brand of basketball was also part of a broader cultural change within the NBA.

Carter's unceremonious departure from the city of Toronto alienated many, including yours truly. What was misunderstood at the time was eventually given a little bit of forgiveness whereas I don't think I would grant the same from Chris Bosh who is a lying hypocrite who basically pulled a LeBron on Toronto when he too, fled for Miami (and maybe details emerged since but I haven't pursued information to change my preferred narrative. Shame how Bosh's career came to end though...). He just didn't do it with a glossy press show. That's what ultimately grants Carter reverence from Raptors fans. Carter only wanted assurance that the Raptors were trying to build something and when it was clear they were bullshitting him, he demanded to be traded. Fans at the time saw Carters attitude as indicative as his feelings toward the City and team, and while he certainly had bitterness toward the team I think time also allowed fans to give him benefit of the doubt whereas at the time he was vilified.

At least he got to have some years in Memphis at the end of his career. To me, that's as full-circle as it gets for Carter because Carter was so important to Canadian Basketball and he was important to Canada's adopted team in the years he played there. He evolved as a baller, as all the great ones do. He played to his strengths and went on to have a long and productive career as a role player when many expected him to be another who succumbed to injury before the end of their prime and you're left to wonder what could have been.

I don't know if he had hall of fame numbers but I think in terms of what he meant to the city of Toronto, and to helping the NBA grow the brand north of the border, Vince Carter is a hall of fame caliber baller. His dunk contests were unreal. He was one of the most electrifying to play when he was at the top of his game and he has gone on to have a long, 19 seasons in the NBA. A length some never would have expected after his departure from Toronto.

I mean don't get me wrong, if getting 10 minutes a night is what's most important to him and given that love of the game has been pretty clear for Vince Carter... I bet it is, then I am happy for him. I guess I just would have loved for him to have a year north of the border to finish what he started with Toronto. He wouldn't have fit in there though and that much is evident for the same reason he didn't fit in Memphis anymore. Young team, not exactly looking for a 40 year old veteran wing to play 10min a night that could go to a much younger player who needs those minutes.

I close with the closing paragraph of this toast to Carter:
    Vince, who was once the human embodiment of a velociraptor in a pair of Nike Shox, is no longer the high-flying acrobat he used to be. You’re 40 now, Vince. Your buzzer beating days are in the rearview, and you’re on your last legs with an evolving Sacramento Kings team, instilling what last bit of magic you have left into the minds of NBA youngsters. So here’s to you, my guy. May your remaining years sitting courtside be filled with infinite amounts of chill, wisdom, and sizable paychecks. Cheers.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Evil; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:20 PM.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I'm done, we can resume the 2017 NBA season :P

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't be surprised if signing with SAC turns out to be a sneaky good move for Carter.

If he starts playing like a forty year old, that $8M of course is a nice final payout. But if he's still got something to offer, the rebuilding Kings who own their pick in '18 but not in '19 have all the incentive to move him at the deadline to a playoff team looking for wing help + the ability to offload a bad multi-year contract.

The Kings could net a pick in the deal, grease the wheels on a late season tank, and if they're lucky end up absorbing the contract of a player useful to their long-term rebuild.

Teams like Milwaukee (Teletovic or Delly), Detroit (Leuer or Boban), or Portland (Meyers Leonard) could make sense as trade partners/destinations for Air Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Funny Money

Vince Carter getting 8 mil did not note that. so much funny money in the NBA. just found out earlier Cole Aldrich Zip a Dee Doo Dahing along @ $7,300,000 lol

Twice what the Griz were paying. good on him

He was just so special to watch. Toronto ......Vince Carter ...Joe Carter ? never put those 2 together like that.
    The Kings going to suck till they ain't. they are like a farm team for the rest of the league. NBATV had LBJ's first game on from 2003 the other day the Kings had a team then.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Twilight Zone

Orlando, the best team in the east? That young talent finally starting to mature with some coaching, perhaps...

Don't expect that to remain the case but I had to double take when I peeked at the standings earlier.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Default We can't play

We can't play D

We can't Shoot well

We don't win

This is hard to watch .. hard to believe.... we got LBJ DAM IT
    These are the worse games with LBJ since his return. him & Ty must fix this. we have to keep these games close till the 4th when we can play our best D team. Austin Carr nailing these guys rightly so.

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest additions...

- Wade
    - Rose
    - Calderon

... none of them known for playing even a lick of D.

- Jeff Green, a mediocre defender at best.

That leaves Jae Crowder. He's a solid defender but what I'm getting at is that, addition by subtraction, there's no way we add those 4 pieces and improve our team defense.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Right. No D + Marginal shooters = A long season...
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16
    Like Enigmatic Evil, madmadworld liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who's Worried ...NOW ? ..lol

130--122 games are fun to watch, when you win. but LBJ playing a game as a Living Legend is worth seeing over & over. what a display on national TV on the road. he only had 57

This will be a totally different month ahead, never in the come back era have we had to do without TT like this. getting better on D will be a monster of a challenge. bring it on.

The hawks come in Sunday yummy

Post Thanks / Like

Hell of a display from the King. However, I dunno man, if LeBron needs to put 60 down for this team to win games, that's worrisome to me.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Panic here

Love & JR with 52 I'll bet the Cavs every time that happens. LBJ had the quietest 30 you will ever see, near a triple double.

I can get pissed right after a sad loss... But these are the same players we had 7 weeks ago..... they will figure this out. Love doesn't even try a 3, going all beastly in the paint. 16 FT's to go with 16 Rebounds ... figuring it out there for you. lol

in other news
    Eric Bledsoe, Greg Monroe .. 2 unhappy players traded for each other. well one anyway.

Greg can't shoot a 3 pointer......is that a sin ? it is these days. back in my day he would be putting up 20+ shots a night, if he shot over 50% like he has all his days in the league so far. a 20 & 10 guy that is not wanted...
    What are we watching these days ?
    A nice piece on him
    http://uproxx.com/dimemag/greg-monro...h-man-bench/2/

Lets see if Bledsoe makes the Bucks better........?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4th qtr Heroics

Ty went with the Hot hands as the Cavs came back from a 23 point deficit. the bench bunch was giving it all as Love & Crowder were spectators rooting them on in the 4th . Frye doing Frye things. Wade in what might be his Best game as a Cav grabbing 8 so important rebounds. Threezus leading the way with 19 4th qtr points. LBJ guarding the Unicorn and a lead taking 3 pointer in his face. it's All Good

Go Cavs

Post Thanks / Like

Default He's Alive

DWade climbed out the Grave for a double double in 37 minutes with 23 points,expelling the the thoughts that Wade is "Finished". The King added 39 & 14 for his D/D.

What happened to all the talk a few months back about Shump being moved out ? thank goodness that was BS as he has been so important to this team lately.

This Clippers game was just nutty as hell. Blake with the shin to the balls of Crowder ... with no call. WTF good ole Lou a -17 this guy lol
    so many runs on both sides in this one. crazy

oh yeah fuck the celtic's see you Jan 3

Go Cavs

Like jaydog, Enigmatic Evil liked this post.
    LOL! TheBestPlayersPlay, Enigmatic Evil laughed at this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Can Shump provide any offense? If he can he should get more PT. #stepupyourgame
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

Like Enigmatic Evil, madmadworld liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Shump has always been iffy on offense.

Cavs have been finding ways to win, different people stepping up. I'd like to see Coach kicking the tires on some of these younger guys when injuries are what they are.

Finding ways to win, that's the bottom line. Lots of new pieces of this puzzle and wins will help them gain confidence.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Right. Find some minutes for Auntie and Osmond.