Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Season New Hunger The Must Win Now Season

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2017-18 Season New Hunger The Must Win Now Season

What if I told you .. Kyrie Quit Playing for Rings .........to expand his brand ?
    Last June ?
    Then I said don't worry we will be better without him. That's what I'm saying. would not of believed it myself.

We added 2 HOF players, a All-Star, plus a top defensive player. oh yea Jeff Green too.. is only 30, playing on his best team ever, taking over a 80% pay cut from last year.

Who knows who we will have next year on our team this is The Must Win Now Season. save Wade these newbies have never been in a Finals Hunger they are.

Here they are, what And where do they fit ? the deepest team in our History by a mile. 3 must go. 3 are going to be in Suits some nights. I'm say it now this team if healthy will play .500 ball or better when LBJ needs a night off.

LeBron James
    Kevin Love
    Tristan Thompson
    J.R. Smith
    Iman Shumpert
    Channing Frye
    Kyle Korver
    Jae Crowder
    Jose Calderon
    Jeff Green
    Dwyane Wade
    Derrick Rose

Isaiah Thomas
    Richard Jefferson
    Ante Zizic
    Walter Tavares
    Kay Felder
    Cedi Osman

Go Cavs
    Always remember sports are like women:
    High School all the girls play,
    NCAA only good looking girls play,
    Pro's only the Super Models play !

the most important reading you might ever do.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201607010.../genescott.htm

Post Thanks / Like

We are so much better, I didn't know if it was possible.

Last year I commented a couple of times when Kyrie was out and Love was healthy, just how good they looked.

I don't see anyone beating us in a series.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown
    Like madmadworld, Enigmatic Evil liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Man I am excited for this season.

You guys know me, I just love the game. I'm like a basketball polygamist except for the Clippers and the Warriors. Fuck those teams.

I just need something else to think about right now.

The Cavs should be great, if Thomas can be healthy but man it will be nice to have a proper backup to LeBron in Crowder. Lue will prove himself this season because he will have a roster where he's capable of coming up with some creative lineups. There are a lot of new, interesting faces in Cleveland and I'm excited to see how it shakes up. I agree, deepest team Cleveland has ever seen.

I don't think any team in the East really made enough of a splash to make a difference. OKC stole the off-season IMO, but they had no choice. Maybe you could say it's sports karma but they'll be a team to watch.

My Grizzlies will be a different team. The players who created the identity of the Grizz over the last decade, Tony Allen and Zach Randolph, both are gone. The Grizzlies have drafted terribly. Conley and Gasol are not getting any younger, and they didn't really do much in regard to bringing in help. They could still make some noise in the bottom end of the west but their days of being a funwrecker are over until they can hit on a first round pick or coach up some talent.

The Raptors won't address the elephant in the room, in fact they just decided to throw money at it. Sure, it's the most successful iteration of the Raptors that they've ever seen but the core they have with DeRozan and Lowry at its heart will only take them as far as they've already been and IMO they won't see that kind of success again IMO (East Final), especially not if they have to play Cleveland in the second round like last season. Coach Casey is also a lame duck but who knows what the future holds for this Raptors team but my money is on them chosing to blow it up and re-build before they reach the ultimate goal.
    BROWNS 2017: FUCK IT, DUDE... LET'S GO BOWLING

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!
    Like madmadworld liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Default So Ready

For the season to start with the Tribe choking and that Football team.

Wish we could be there to give Kyrie the booing he deserves so much. wanting to go out on his own is one thing but the remark about a "Real Sports town" give it a rest. there is no better sports town in the country than C-town period.

LBJ is injured that's right after 13 years it has happened. he never missed this much pre season. one thing for sure if he can get up he'll play tonight. even without the King we should kick that ass.
    Go Cavs

Post Thanks / Like

If LeBron is hurt, he should rest. IMO the team may have a rocky start without him but we have more than enough talent on paper to see how much of a vortex Kyrie Irving really was...

No LeBron, no NBA Final. That's a fact.

"I just do not get worked up over games anymore. I realized some time ago there is no point in getting worked up over them. I have no control over the outcome, it has no impact on me personally, and I have little to no actual facts to work from on properly analyzing the results." - Masters

"Don't try to make me feel dumb for my opinion. You can kiss my ass." - MalcolmBrown

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious as to how well DRose, Osman and Love in the middle are going to play. Wade is done. Calderon too. Has Shump even attempted to get some type of reliable offensive game? Can Crowder be a better shooter?

Lots of new faces.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

It's tough to argue those results." Pat McManamon 5-3-16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Game/Win #1

That was a emotional game. can't remember a worse looking injury. some of the knee blowouts sure are bad but this takes the cake. right up there with Joe Theismann.

Both teams were off no matter the reason. both teams are different from last year. closing out the game with Wade. Rose & Love is a bit shocking when seen with ones eyes. none are stoppers on D or even good. TT & JR on the bench seemed weird. Ty might have to.............. think about that.

But like LBJ said we got the win.

We have 3 back to backs coming up next, Calderon & Osman be ready.

Post Thanks / Like

That Gordon Hayward break reminded me immediately of Psycho Sid Vicious' nasty leg break from jumping and landing off-center (though professional wrestling is supposed to mitigate those things...) it was uncomfortable to watch. Huge bummer for him.

Ty definitely will have some work to do with the lineups but like I said, this is where he will prove his true worth as a coach. Better coaches have, and will continue to, exploit his poor rotations unless he can find a good balance.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

The win is all that matters and I've seen worse injuries unfortunately. Wade looks so old. DRose had a couple nice drives and a 3 to end the quarter. Does Frye get into any of the rotations at all against good teams? Same with Osman, Calderon and that one guy at the end of the bench.
    "The quarterback question lingers, but the Browns traded and traded and traded and traded and traded and acquired nine players and three high draft choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not.

That's why I've been riding Coach Lue's ass about rotations for two years. We're too deep to be rolling anything less than a 10 man bench. He would have to do a 13-14 man rotation to work those guys in (after Thomas is healthy). I don't think any coach goes that deep in to their bench. Might be an interesting research idea for a time I'm bored but I digress... 10 man bench is ideal, and we still have guys who are going to be neglected. Not a terrible dilemma to have.

It's game one, but don't expect to see a lot of Frye (except against teams where he would be an obvious mismatch) and especially don't expect to see a lot of the kid, Osman. He should be getting in D league. Ditto for Calderon who is basically a end-of-his-career Vet who we should only see if/when injuries call for it. He'd be a token 5 minutes a night otherwise, and that's without IT in the mix.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!
    Like jaydog liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Odds are, one or two of these guys will be moved at or by the trade deadline. We've got a lot of glut on the wings especially. LeBron, Crowder, Wade, Smith, Shump, Korver, Green and Osman is a 3-4 in the making it seems as well.

That's where he will need to show the most care with his minutes. JR Smith is already chirping about losing minutes to Dwayne Wade.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zero

Kyrie couldn't win without LBJ as a Cavalier and now as a Celtic.
    somethings never change. but he's the man ..lol

Meanwhile Delly had at least 7 in the 4th as the Bucks rolled.

Like Enigmatic Evil, jaydog liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do we need

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Odds are, one or two of these guys will be moved at or by the trade deadline. We've got a lot of glut on the wings especially. LeBron, Crowder, Wade, Smith, Shump, Korver, Green and Osman is a 3-4 in the making it seems as well.

That's where he will need to show the most care with his minutes. JR Smith is already chirping about losing minutes to Dwayne Wade.
    Don't see them moving much. maybe if Korver doesn't fit in before the All-Star game. we got the Nets pick to use......... but what do we need ? ...besides good health.
    might want to hold on to that pick unless it's a player with 3 or 4 years left and a stud. other wise that pick is the future
    a future without LBJ ...let's hope not.

JR is fine .......he's not flat earth Kyrie.

In the near future if Jose can hold up 10 minutes a night the next week or so that would help.

Like Enigmatic Evil, jaydog liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, it's not a given but if we decide we have a need all of a sudden, we have more than enough ammo to make a deal. Having depth and talent is a good problem to have.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

As much as they can be frustrating, EE, there's something to be said for the unBrownsiness of the Grizz & Raps: make the playoffs almost every year, reward foundational players with long-term deals, then hope an Anunoby or Brooks lifts you higher up in the league's middle class.

And it's hopefully a relief to both players and fans that the pigskin-associated health risks are absent, replaced with small-to-medium-bore fears that a Marc Gasol might revert to his high school chunkitude, or Kyle Lowry's backside could develop its own gravitational pull.
    Like Enigmatic Evil, madmadworld liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alo View Post
    As much as they can be frustrating, EE, there's something to be said for the unBrownsiness of the Grizz & Raps: make the playoffs almost every year, reward foundational players with long-term deals, then hope an Anunoby or Brooks lifts you higher up in the league's middle class.

And it's hopefully a relief to both players and fans that the pigskin-associated health risks are absent, replaced with small-to-medium-bore fears that a Marc Gasol might revert to his high school chunkitude, or Kyle Lowry's backside could develop its own gravitational pull.
    You know it doesn't frustrate me when it comes to those two teams but maybe because we have a history (a longer one than the Browns do for me personally) but the Grizzlies were the Browns. Terrible ownership, terrible management, terrible drafting... and then the team is sold, packed up and moved to Memphis.

Basketball is different from the NFL (as you know) in that one man can make a difference... for the Raptors that one man is Vince Carter.

Now I digress because you don't need the history lesson but you hit the nail on the head in that both teams rewarded franchise cornerstone players to long-term contracts when their play predicated it AND there is less overall to worry about with the NBA... The Grizzlies have drafted more like the Browns, we haven't hit on a draft pick in forever though this new kid Brooks seems like he could be a legit talent (also a Canadian kid, I might add!).

The Raptors had to jettison some talent in order to keep some guys the needed to keep but re-signed the guys the needed to DeMar and Lowry, despite my opinion of the ceiling of wins the team can have with that Duo, and Coach Casey, it's undoubtedly the right move to make.

Back to the history lesson: Both teams overcame decades of mediocrity to get where they are now... and eventually got it right with front office choices in order to do so. Those front offices hit on the talent and it changed their franchise fortune.

WOOF WOOF WOOF!
    Like madmadworld, Alo liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Start

Ty pushing buttons found himself a lineup with 3 screeners for White Lighting !
    Then the 3s Rained down flooding the Bucks. speaking of 3s we did/doing this without Love finding his. or JR. but Love did have that cool 5 point play/possession.

It's so exciting watching these new & old guys figuring out their roles. who breaks out Tonight ?

Hoops Heaven
    That Ball kid showed up. all these media guys and even Patrick Beverley talking smack about poppa Ball's mouth is going to have players coming after him. give it a rest. All NBA players are going to go at ALL rookies and every other player every night. what are they going to do find that extra 10% they talking about when saying 110 % ? too funny

Ricky Rubio wanted some revenge in Minny last night but came up short after a great try.
    Timberwolves beware/careful of getting caught up with Jamal Crawford..... in live by Jamal Crawford die by Jamal Crawford syndrome seen that play out before.

Like Enigmatic Evil liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a fun game to watch mmw, and I have to say it was great watching them calm down in the second half and really distance themselves from a young team that was putting in the effort. The Bucks will be a probable/potential playoff match-up for the Cavs this year but IMO they're not ready yet to play spoiler. With the Greek Freak though they will be in the conversation for a long time.

Big Question: Does LeBron still need to play 38+ minutes a night with this roster? Coach seems to think so...

Compare that to the Raptors who did the same vs the Bulls, but the basketball was very sloppy and ugly to start, expected for the first game of the year. Players who needed to step up did; Norman Powell, CJ Miles, and the kids off the bench played very well. They will be the key to the raptors success this year. If they grow together they will have an over-achieving year but IMO the Raptors could stumble this year with a young bench that learns how to grow together. However that young bench is the future of the franchise...

Big Question: This is the year they need Jonas Valanciunas to step up as a consistent interior presence. This is his 6th NBA season and the Raptors need him to establish himself on both ends of the floor consistently.

Compare that to my Grizzlies who are ride-and-die this year, Coach Fizz has a roster more tailored to what he wants to do, so he says... old veterans are out and someone's gotta step up. If Gasol and Conley stay healthy, they will be a playoff team but who will elevate themselves to make that happen? Z-Bo was an emotional leader and he was a consistent presence on the court for Memphis. They need a third option type guy to emerge.

Big Question: Is Dillon Brooks the real deal? Tyreke Evans and Chandler Parsons were the big FA investments of recent years. This roster features a lot of change so it just feels weird right now in Memphis.

Also, it's a bummer about Rose... I hope he's okay because Calderon's gonna get that tap on the shoulder (you'd assume anyway, he's our only healthy PG).

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

They're saying it's Jose' to start for a few games anyway, but I'm guessing LBJ will be the Point forward alongside somebody other than Jose'. Saaayy...JR? With Jose' and off the bench?

I dunno. Just tossing things around.

Like Enigmatic Evil, madmadworld liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Calderon was one of the best playmaking pointguards in the NBA, in his prime... His issue has always been that he's a defensive sieve.

Honestly he just needs like 15-20 minutes to give some guys a break and yeah like you said its probable LeBron runs the offense anyway. Who knows.

Maybe Lue surprises me

WOOF WOOF WOOF!
    Like jaydog, madmadworld liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Calderon's shooting numbers during his itinerant '16-'17 were trash, but so were his situations (and the totals a very small sample size).

He was a more efficient shooter his last year in NYC, particularly in the slice of minutes sans iso Melo (55.0 2P%/44.8 3P%). So maybe the GOAT can get something out of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Well slap my nuts and call me (a girls name)...

13 man rotation last night, was it because of the losing effort that Lue decided to kick the can on the end of the bench?

WOOF WOOF WOOF!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beating the champs

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Evil View Post
    Well slap my nuts and call me (a girls name)...

13 man rotation last night, was it because of the losing effort that Lue decided to kick the can on the end of the bench?
    Not worth posting about last nights Jose trial.

But your Griz beating the champs ... how sweet. got to the line & good D. good on them

Must see Greek TV WoWeee

Like Enigmatic Evil liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Antetokounmpo's so freaking good that his new deal is the rare $100M bargain...that also could prove to be a big mistake (the Bucks could've had him under contract – and away from all those big market suitors – for an additional year).
    Like madmadworld, Enigmatic Evil liked this post.