Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin/Grey's Late Christmas - Cousins Would Love to be a Brown!

Post Thanks / Like

Perfectly put, Gabe. I'll just shut my mouth for once.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Cousins would make us a hell of a lot better. But we have the #1 pick and I am aiming higher.
    Then the sensible conclusion would be get cousins and the top qb in the draft. Only that way are you assured given the BEST CHANCE FOR THE FUTURE.
    Reason is undeniable, EVERY QB PROSPECT IS JUST THAT.
    Like Stray Dawg liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    I think Cousins would make us a hell of a lot better. But we have the #1 pick and I am aiming higher.
    That's fair. But I want good QB play as soon as possible. I have this horrible feeling we're going to choose the wrong guy. AGAIN. I know what we're getting in Cousins, and that's comforting to me.
    "That is the long *%#@ of truth that you both continue to juggle around your mouth..."
    Like TheBestPlayersPlay liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it.

The last time we picked a QB @ 1 ....I think we drafted a stud.

We should be able to get it right if our new hires are as good as many are conditioned to believe.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I think Mason Rudolph has just as good a chance as any of the other guys at being a first rate NFL QB.
    "That is the long *%#@ of truth that you both continue to juggle around your mouth..."

Post Thanks / Like

Martin...

A) Not lying. He has one of the worst records against .500 teams of what would be considered a top half QB by some (not me)
    B) You made my point for me in actuality. You stated yourself he NEEDS a top D and a top running game to even beat .500 teams (not in exactly those words, but same thing)
    C) You are asking to back up a $140M payday for a guy that NEEDS a full on great team to win...a team that could just as easily win with a rookie (see Prescott/Wilson/Kaepernick in their rookie seasons)

So, like Gabe said, I prefer aiming a bit higher than mediocre. Sure, he will win some games for us IF we have all the pieces...but so will Case Keenum, and likely so will AJ McCarron...hell, even Fitzy could. So why back up the truck? Get one of them and shoot for the stars....not Dalton/Cinci limbo hell.
    Football is all about synergy. Replace a poor player with a great player and watch the surrounding players suddenly seem vastly improved. When you aren't covering for someone else, you can do YOUR JOB better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJP View Post
    Keep looking, since this minutea means so much to you.
    I'll take this as a concession of the point.

Post Thanks / Like

If that gives you peace, enjoy.

Point is, I want a QB for potentially more years than what Cousins can offer. Cousins is on the back half of his career and perhaps less. I want a QB at the start of a long 10- to 15-year career, who offers anywhere from a good career to a hall-of-fame career. Cousins is a good QB. That's it.

The only veteran QB I want the Browns to sign is someone who offers Crash Davis wisdom and professionalism, who isn't going to deplete the Browns' warchest, and who can be an insurance policy for when the rookie gets hurt. I don't ever want to see a year like last year where, when the rookie QB goes down injured, the cupboard behind him is bare.
    "Hillary Clinton belongs in the White House. Donald Trump belongs on my show."--Jerry Springer
    Cleveland Browns: 13 losing seasons in first 50 years. 15 losing seasons since 1999 -- and counting.
    Like nickers, DawgFan liked this post.

nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Eden View Post
    That's fair. But I want good QB play as soon as possible. I have this horrible feeling we're going to choose the wrong guy. AGAIN. I know what we're getting in Cousins, and that's comforting to me.

What your getting is a QB way past his prime.. you don't sink 140 mill into an aging vet who might only be servicable for 2 maybe 3 years... If you qo by analytics.. The signing doesnt justify the cost. Your taking a calculated risk.. You don't pay what is basically a bridge QB long term money like that. It's counter productive to maintiainng a strong core of players and talent.. If your desire is to build some kind of Dynasty whether thats 3-5 years altogether in that span of time.. The money you want to give away.. as I said.. does not justify the signing... You're high off your rocker, man!

A signing like this is a kiss of death to a team... It's not conducive to winning.. Its just a temporary band-aid. And after that.. your right back in the same boat you started in.. plain and simple...
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!
    Like DawgFan liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you KJP. I want a 10-15 year HOF QB too. I mean what NFL fan doesn't? I'd also like to have 100 million dollars while we're wishing.

That's my only point in suggesting the Cousins route. You know what you are getting even if it isn't 15 years (it could be 10 though) of HOF play. It would make us instantly relevant, allow us to use the draft capital in other areas, and give us the fastest route to winning (my opinion).

I'm cool swinging for the fences as you suggest. I'm just wary of the strikeout (as we've all been conditioned to be).
    Like Brownsfan liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, I'm happy with a good QB over 10-15 years too. What I want most is the potential for long-term stability. Cousins doesn't offer that. He offers a consolation prize.
    "Hillary Clinton belongs in the White House. Donald Trump belongs on my show."--Jerry Springer
    Cleveland Browns: 13 losing seasons in first 50 years. 15 losing seasons since 1999 -- and counting.
    Like DawgFan liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

The Browns will not get Cousins and a high draft pick at QB. Cousins will not sign with a team intending to draft his replacement already, especially one that will be starting no later than year two (find the #1 overalls who don't).

And it wouldn't make any sense for the Browns to sign Cousins for five years to start him for one.

The two simply don't fit together for either side, the Browns or Cousins. And I think there is virtually no chance that the Browns will take a pass on the top QBs in this draft. Hell, remove "virtually," because they're taking Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold and that guy will start no later than the 2019 opener... and probably sooner.

Hence: Cousins is not coming to Cleveland.
    Like DawgFan, KJP, Stray Dawg, nickers liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    He's gonna be a Bronco. Bank it...
    This, at his age he goes to a win now situation imo.
    This is the beginning. -- 12/07/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickers View Post
    What your getting is a QB way past his prime
    Now you're just being ignorant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    B) You made my point for me in actuality. You stated yourself he NEEDS a top D and a top running game to even beat .500 teams (not in exactly those words, but same thing)
    Name a good QB who beats good teams without having a good team behind him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
    A) Not lying. He has one of the worst records against .500 teams of what would be considered a top half QB by some (not me)
    Prove it. Coming into last season, against winning teams:

Matt Stafford 5-46
    Drew Brees 20-48
    Aaron Rodgers 21-29
    Matt Ryan 17-22
    Kirk Cousins 4-10
    Derek Carr 2-15

Tom Brady 50-33
    Russell Wilson 19 -12
    Like dangerdom liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    The Browns will not get Cousins and a high draft pick at QB. Cousins will not sign with a team intending to draft his replacement already, especially one that will be starting no later than year two (find the #1 overalls who don't).
    Most quarterbacks picked #1 overall start the first year, and most teams will stay with a #1 pick longer than a later pick. But picking a #1 and picking a franchise quarterback are not necessarily the same thing. Some #1 overall picks do well and some do not.

And it wouldn't make any sense for the Browns to sign Cousins for five years to start him for one.
    Of course not. If Cousins is signed for five years, he will likely be the Browns quarterback for eight to ten years.

The two simply don't fit together for either side, the Browns or Cousins. And I think there is virtually no chance that the Browns will take a pass on the top QBs in this draft. Hell, remove "virtually," because they're taking Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold and that guy will start no later than the 2019 opener... and probably sooner.

Hence: Cousins is not coming to Cleveland.
    Basically you are saying that Cousins is not coming to Cleveland because you think the Browns will draft a quarterback high and if they decide to draft a quarterback high as you think they will, it means that Cousins will not agree to come to Cleveland.

I agree that Cousins will not come here unless we committed to him for the long term. However, I think there is a good chance of that happening. Dorsey has said that he doesn't believe in starting rookie quarterbacks. Plus consider what he actually did in KC. After becoming GM in KC, he traded for Alex Smith which cost him a second round draft choice. In that sense it would be a turn around if he signed Cousins to a Browns contract because instead of costing a draft pick, it will save a first round draft pick. I see three very good reason why the Browns are likely to sign Cousins if he is agreeable:

1: Dorsey's apparent preference for veteran quarterbacks.

2: Of all the teams needing a QB, the Browns can best afford what it will take to sign him.

3: Of all the teams in the league, the Browns are the team most desperate to start winning quickly.

Cousins may not want to come here. That is quite possible. He says he wants to win. However, he has also indicated that he might like to get back to the Midwest and his roots. Assuming he is serious about wanting to get back to the Midwest and his roots, signing Cousins to a Browns contract might be close to a slam dunk.
    Last edited by Brownsfan; 1 Week Ago at 01:15 PM. Reason: Damn autocorrect, "committee" my ass.
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz
    Like Martin Eden, Greythan liked this post.

nickers is offline Muffin Utility Research Kitchen Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Now you're just being ignorant.
    Hes 33.. not 23 you ass!
    " There are no old running QB's in the NFL " ~ Sam Rutigliano. "
    I pray someone takes a stack of SPARQ stats, and shoves them up smug Sashi Browns tight asshole" ~TBPP

Its Offense baby!!!!!" "ITS
    OFFENSE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Prove it. Coming into last season, against winning teams:

Matt Stafford 5-46
    Drew Brees 20-48
    Aaron Rodgers 21-29
    Matt Ryan 17-22
    Kirk Cousins 4-10
    Derek Carr 2-15

Tom Brady 50-33
    Russell Wilson 19 -12
    Interesting stats. Would you mind mentioning where those stats came from and also the assumptions they were based on (winning for season or at the time of the game etc.)
    "A pessimist is one who says: 'Things can't get worse.' And an optimist is one who says, 'Yes they can.'" Alan Dershowitz

Post Thanks / Like

Hes 33.. not 23 you ass!
    Are you confusing Cousins with Smith? Kirk Cousins is 29. Alex Smith is 33.
    LOL! Greythan, dangerdom laughed at this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like being wrong, except to be wrong and insulting.
    LOL! Brownsfan, Martin Eden, hammertime, dangerdom laughed at this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Hes 33.. not 23 you ass!
    My point proven.
    LOL! Greythan, dangerdom laughed at this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brownsfan View Post
    Interesting stats. Would you mind mentioning where those stats came from and also the assumptions they were based on (winning for season or at the time of the game etc.)
    https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...rady-matt-ryan

Top 5 quarterbacks vs. winning teams
    Quarterback Wins Losses
    Matthew Stafford 5 46
    Aaron Rodgers 21 29
    Tom Brady 50 33
    Matt Ryan 17 22
    Drew Brees 20 48
    Russell Wilson 19 12

The rest I compiled myself (Cousins and Carr).

Post Thanks / Like

Name a good QB who beats good teams without having a good team behind him.
    Wilson/ rodgers