Thread: Chris Perez bashes #Cleveland fan again ...this time to a New York paper.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chris Perez bashes #Cleveland fan again ...this time to a New York paper.

I think Perez needs to stop towing the company line and listen to the fans little bit more.

No one believes in the Dolans ...they took a masterpiece and turned the Tribe back into a laughing stock. We have no faith as a fanbase that the Dolans will ever do what it takes to bring us another World Series. And they simply don't care ....after all the Indians are one of the most profitable ball clubs in all of baseball, why should they give a flying #$% about breaking the bank to land the players we need to get to the promised land.

Sell your business Dolan preferably to someone who cares about Cleveland and its fans.

And Chris Perez, shut the hell up until you know what you are talking about.

Article:

Cleveland Indians closer Chris Perez rehashes about Cleveland fans, this time to the New York Times

Published: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 12:15 PM Updated: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 12:54 PM

Glenn Moore, cleveland.com
    Chris Perez has been almost perfect on the mound for the Tribe this year, but has been critical of the fans and their support for the contending Indians.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- While Cleveland Indians closer Chris Perez is making headlines on the mound, converting 23 straight save opportunities, he continues to make headlines off the field with his critical comments about Indians fans.
    In an interview with the New York Times, Perez rehashed his comments from earlier this year and questioned why the fan base has been lukewarm about the contending Tribe.
    He said fans seemed to care more about rooting against LeBron James than they do about rooting for the Indians, who have been in first or second place for most of the season.
    “I don’t get the psyche,” said Perez. “Why cheer against a guy that’s not even in your city anymore? Just to see him fail? Does that make you feel good? I could see if the Cavs were in the championship, but that’s their mentality. “They’ve had a lot of years of misery. They say, ‘You just don’t understand because you don’t live here.’ O.K., maybe I don’t. But that doesn’t mean it has to keep going.”

He went on to question Cleveland's rabid support for the Browns, who haven't had a winning season since 2007.
    “That’s what I don’t understand,” Perez said. “Their whole thing is, ‘We want a winner.’ Well, why do you support the Browns? They don’t win. They’ve never won. They left. You guys blindly support them. I don’t understand it. It’s a double standard, and I don’t know why. “It’s head-scratching. It’s just — they don’t come out. But around the city, there’s great support. They watch it in the bars. They watch it at home. They just don’t come.”
    Shortly after the New York Times article spread around on Twitter, Perez took to the defense on his Twitter account and responded to a fan, saying "most of the ?'s from yesterday were backdated; asked about the past." This isn't the first time Perez has criticized the fans. Earlier this year, he vented his frustration after a 2-0 win over the Miami Marlins on May 19.
    Perez then explained his comments in a video interview with cleveland.com's Glenn Moore and also received a huge ovation during his first appearance after the comments.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    A whiner is almost always wrong. A winner never whines.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

He does have some valid points, however lets be realistic there is no reason to believe the tribe will even make the playoffs. Nevemind the World Series. The Dolans refuse to go get help. Come on johnny damon? This isnt the 2000's! The scouts suck.

Post Thanks / Like

If he hates it here and the fans so much...demand to be traded...if not STFU and do your job that you get payed millions of dollars to do...which is a game.
    Here's a thought Chris...if you want the fans to show up....contribute some of your salary and buy tickets to give away to fans who can't afford one. The reason fans don't go now...is the prices are out of control to see a shitty product.

Fans don't want to fork over hard earned dollars to see the Tribe implode again. Dolan is a cheap ass who is not in it to win...he only cares about making money...the wrong reason to own a sport team. Dolan needs to sell...and the Indians need an owner who will spend money to bring a winner to Cleveland (ie Dick Jacobs)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to lie, I like Perez, and I think he has some valid points. The LeBron hate is mindnumbing sometimes. It reaks of envy and bitterness and, while I understand where the fans are coming from, it's not a classy way to handle the situation. I agree that the energy would be better spent on positivity toward the Tribe, Cavs & Browns rather than hate for LeBron.

But I also agree with SoCal that Perez/Dolan/The Tribe could be doing more in the community and doing more to get asses in the seats instead of bitching about it publicly. As for ticket prices, general admission at Progressive is $6 bucks just like most of the rest of the MLB stadiums (sans NY & Boston)... I pay for general admission at GABP when I go to see the Reds and spend most of my time watching from the comfort of the concourse while stuiffing my face with Skyline 3-ways.. so the fans could be getting out to the games if they wanted to, just not sitting 10 rows up behind home plate. But that said, I do agree that it's up to the organization to create a buzz and Dolan fails miserably on that front.

And at the end of the day, are his quotes to the media any better than fans bitching about LeBron via Twitter? It sort of seems like the pot calling the kettle black. If he's going to talk about the fans being misguided and counterproductive, he's immediately going to be engaging in the same brand of misguided and counterproductive activity. But apparently he can't help himself. He clearly wears it on the sleeve a little bit and that's probably what makes him such a good closer.

At the end of the day, I hate to see Perez alienating himself from the fans, because he is one of the few very bright spots on an overachieving team (along with Kipnis, Choo and Cabrera). And it's not like Cleveland is in the basement... they are three games out in a very winnable division. Ubaldo Jiminez has started turning things around, they have a decent staff and a good closer. Kipnis is already getting All Star votes... I think there have been some unfortunate disappointments that can't really be pinned on Dolan/Antonetti. Who would have known LaPorta would be this much of a disapointment, or that Hafner and Sizemore were held together by duct tape... or that Ubaldo would be a bizarro version of the guy who pitched lights out in Colorado?

Despite the fact that the Tribe has dropped something like 6 of their last 8, I hold out faith that they will pull it together, make a late ruin and win the AL Central. And winning cures everything. If this team wins the central and goes deep into the post season, the fans will come back out and they will pack out next season. But they need to win something tangible before Cleveland fans spend their money. And they need to win something tangible before they open their mouths to the media. Because they don't help their cause with crap like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Lebron hate from Cleveland fan is very far from envy or bitterness and it surprises me something like that would come from somebody who lives in the area. Holding on to hatred of Lebron helps the natural balance of things ...he's a person who deserves to be hated and it really would be a shame if the sheep were all lined up, kept in check and smiling. Personally, I'll enjoy rooting against him and hoping for his failure for the rest of his career, as he's the type of man that deserves to fail and when he doesn't it only screams in the face of idolizing children ever ...TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT!!!

Comparing a professional athlete getting on Twitter and bashing the fans that pay his salary, and NBA fans who are tweeting about Lebron, cheating, collusion & how he helped ruin the NBA isn't really a comparison I understand or pot meet kettle.

As far as the Indians ...they are far from a championship ball club. Now if we had an owner that bought the Tribe for the love of the game and the city instead of simply as a business venture I would say we're only a couple of pieces away. As many Indians fans understand, being at least a couple pieces away will always be the reality with Dolan, as those pieces are expensive and would absolutely knock the Tribe out of the top 5 most profitable teams ....wouldn't want to do that just for a winner.

I like Perez too, but too bad he doesn't have the guts to come out and talk about Dolan the way he does his fans.

I can't stand it when a player whines to me or his teammates or his wife or the writers or anyone else.
    - Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lebron hate from Cleveland fan is very far from envy or bitterness and it surprises me something like that would come from somebody who lives in the area.
    Do you mean me or Perez? If you mean me, I don't live in the area... so maybe that explains why I feel that way. Maybe if I did live in Cleveland, I'd be just as hateful? I can't say for sure. But I know the way I am, and mainly I don't let much of what happens in the world of sports make me hateful... afterall, it's sports. In the grand scheme of things, it's about as important a microbial peice of bacteria on the ass of a flea that is on the ass of my dog. But hey, that's just me... I'm not in the business of telling people how to feel about things. I have a family, a demanding career, more volunteer obligations than I care to think about, and a bunch of other stuff... so if I let sports or sports figures make me hateful, it would probably push my already maxed out blood pressure past the breaking point. So I make a concerted effort to look at sports for what it is, millionaire athletes, billionaire owners, hack reporters, manic fans, internet message forums and overpriced subsriptions... As far as I'm concerned, hating Lebron James is no better than buying a poster of him and pinning it up in my living room.... whether you're an adoring fan or a loathesome hater, you're dedicating far more energy to this human being than he deserves. maybe if LeBron picks up a rifle and sleeps under a Humvee in the heat of Iraq, I'll give a flying shit about him, good or bad...

Holding on to hatred of Lebron helps the natural balance of things ...
    Really... how does it do that?

he's a person who deserves to be hated and it really would be a shame if the sheep were all lined up, kept in check and smiling.
    Okay, are you being serious here? I would hate to think I'm just missing some good sarcasm? Sheep lining up? kept in check? This has to be sarcasm...

Comparing a professional athlete getting on Twitter and bashing the fans that pay his salary, and NBA fans who are tweeting about Lebron, cheating, collusion & how he helped ruin the NBA isn't really a comparison I understand or pot meet kettle.
    I didn't think I did compare the two...? Sorry if you took it that way.
    All I said was Perez had some valid points.

As far as the Indians ...they are far from a championship ball club.
    I don't know if they are a championship ballclub or not, but when I made that post, they were three games out of first place, and as I type this, they just got done taking 3 of 4 games against a pretty damn good Orioles team and are now only 1.5 games out of first place. This morning they announced two players are going to the ASG and at least two other players are deserving of a trip.... so that seems pretty good to me. It certainly wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for this team to go deep into the playoffs.

I like Perez too, but too bad he doesn't have the guts to come out and talk about Dolan the way he does his fans.
    Like I said in my post, I don't condone Perez calling out fans... I'm pretty sure I made that clear, and if I didn't, let me go ahead and make it crystal clear now, he was wrong.

But calling out your boss is a little different than calling out the fans, and I'm pretty sure you know that. It's not about balls... and if you think it is about balls, them let me ask you, I'm sure there's some things about your boss you don't like. I don't know what you do for a living, or what your relationship is to your boss, but I'd guess that a large majority of Americans can't stand their employer... So why don't you go ahead and man up and have some balls. When you walk into the office tomorrow, go tell your boss what you think of him. Let me know how it works out for you.

Bottom line, you're either the type of person that takes yourself and sports so seriously that it drives you to hatred of another human being, or you're one of the people that keeps life in perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RussianDawg View Post
    Do you mean me or Perez? If you mean me, I don't live in the area... so maybe that explains why I feel that way.
    Sorry R, my bad I assumed you did thinking back to the training camp thread. I guess loving and hating is all a part of sports to me ...for example, I am full of hatred for Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Red Sox, Yankees, Heat, etc. Love to hate them.

And there are countless players throughout the years I have hated with a passion. That's all part of the rivalry and the fun of it all. Is it a omg you raped my sister kind of hate? Nope. But I gotta think you already understand that.

No sarcasm, you look at it through your lense, and I look at it through mine. Media sheep are everywhere, and yes Lebron James deserves to be hated. He's a piece of crap, and he was one long before he left Cleveland ...his little show only woke the rest of the world up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianDawg View Post
    I don't know what you do for a living, or what your relationship is to your boss, but I'd guess that a large majority of Americans can't stand their employer... So why don't you go ahead and man up and have some balls. When you walk into the office tomorrow, go tell your boss what you think of him. Let me know how it works out for you.
    You are correct of course ...it is different. But FYI I have manned up and had balls several times in regards to dealing with my "superiors". Some people just aren't willing to work in misery ...I'm one of them.

The quote I love most is this one from Perez:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Perez View Post
    They’ve never won. They left. You guys blindly support them. I don’t understand it. It’s a double standard, and I don’t know why.
    You're right Chris, you don't understand ...nor do you have one iota about that of which you speak.

- Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the fans were right ........ the Indians are tanking it.....you can shut up now Perez.

Post Thanks / Like

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ9CoRQMPxw[/ame]

- Paul Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Stay classy Chris.