Thread: Matt Barkley falling down draft boards.... is stupid....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matt Barkley falling down draft boards.... is stupid....

Matt Barkley is my number one qb in this draft, EJ Manuel is my second. Ever since MB's injury and tough season is stock has dropped like a rock. This is the same guy that many people had over RGIII and Tannehill last year.

First off, he lost some key players to the draft this past year.
    Second, his number one target was hobbled all year and couldn't get separation.
    Third.... His o-line played like shit and he took some vicious hits.

I think he is still the same guy. A Deadly accurate short to mid range passer who can float a deep ball into your bread basket if necessary. He has the experience and the pedigree. Sam Bradford went top rd 1 and had a repeatedly injured throwing arm. There's; not reason Barkley shouldnt go top 15, especially against this horrid class.

If he does fall (some say to the third) which he most likely wont, I support us drafting him.

If he doesnt... lets grab EJ and celebrate

The time has come! Our Dynasty lies ahead!

brownsdownunder is offline Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb I am a Golden God!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem (for me) is the short passes to Lee and Woods. Two incredibly gifted wide outs gaining you YAC all day every day. He's not leading the team, they are. There are a lot of QB's who can make the most of an offense like that. He does some nice things, does some stupid things, but the majority of it is the easy things. How many WR screens did they run across the year, for example. That's my problem with it.

You're right that he could easily go top 15, but it seems like all QB's must or it just isn't the NFL. I think Robert Woods often being called a 3rd rounder is INSANITY. I'd rather him than Barkley considering what these guys had to do. Their offense is like a Shurmur wet dream.

Anyway, looks like you might have called right again with EJ apparently rocking the Senior bowl. 2nd day selection seems his future, possible first rounder if he really kills it at the combine.

I dare say we could trade back a few spots for one of these guys, and only entertaining the idea as I prefer the defensive pick, I can't say I'd be exactly pissed about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I predicted Barkley would fall down the draft board last off season. Lo & behold.

He's always been overrated because of the school he plays for.

Looks to me like a poor mans Drew Brees, and that's being kind. More along the line of a Colt McCoy really, with a slightly better arm.

Post Thanks / Like

He's VERY much like Drew Brees (but 1" taller)... with the arm Brees has now. Barkley has a very good (but not great) arm and that tight, compact release. He goes downfield very well. His mechanics are terrific. He's a bit Andrew Luck-esque in his understanding of the game.

The biggest cause of Barkley's fall-off was how horrible his defense played. Freakishly horrible. Barkley was in a position of trying to score and score fast. Oh, and they also had no running game.

I'm out on a limb (with just about every real draftnick) in saying Barkley won't fall much if at all assuming his shoulder is well and he can put on a nice workout. He'll kill the personal interviews and ace the board and Wonderlic tests. GMs and scouts will love him. He's confident but not at all a dick.

In the vast majority of mocks, he's slated for 7th or 8th. I think if he gets to the Cardinals, he's a Cardinal.

Amazingly, his "bad" year was 64% completion for 8.5 YPA and 36/15. When everybody knew he was gonna throw and his presumed #1 couldn't get open. Marquise Lee didn't throw himself the ball. Agree with the author here: Barkley is good.
    Last edited by Brown Warrior; 02-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Brent Sobleski ‏@brentsobleski
    Stat to remember for Barkley: Against Hawaii, Utah, Cuse & Colorado = 19 TD, 1 INT. Rest of schedule = 17 TD, 14 INT

Post Thanks / Like

Barkley healthy and throwing at Combine. Could be bump number one. If he throws well, interviews, board, and 'Lic will be aces, too.

Only Junior throwing is Bray, who talked his way into throwing for receivers. Excellent move for image, plus he can sling it with the best. Almost guaranteed bump. Weeden fans should become Bray fans because that would be real competition, unlike Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh ....go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

Good kid. Awesome line to Peter King: "Does this mean I'm the first pick?"

He's the anti-pouter. If he isn't playing football, he'll do something else really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A QB needs a team

Quote Originally Posted by TheBestPlayersPlay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brent Sobleski ‏@brentsobleski
    Stat to remember for Barkley: Against Hawaii, Utah, Cuse & Colorado = 19 TD, 1 INT. Rest of schedule = 17 TD, 14 INT
    I'm a new guy here to the board, but USC's been overrated since Carroll left for Seattle. Weak line play on both sides of the ball, which means a QB like Barkley doesn't have a chance to shine against stronger teams. The kid did well against OSU in the 'Shoe, but then Carroll left, recruiting fell and the result has been a so-so team. Barkley may not run like RG3, but he's got potential if he gets with the right team. Tom Brady went in the 6th round with no real upside at the time. He turned into something.

Post Thanks / Like

Barkley was in a DREADFUL situation last year and really kept his cool. "Bad" can't quite capture the complete ineptitude of that defense. They were chew toys for any offense that came along. Then the running game never developed and Barks believed he had to score 40 or more to have a chance.

It got in his head and he got reckless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Warrior View Post
    "Bad" can't quite capture the complete ineptitude of that defense. They were chew toys for any offense that came along. Then the running game never developed
    Sort of hurts when you can't cheat anymore in recruiting, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

What cheating did USC do? Just the usual booster shit, like every other major conference team. OSU hasn't been exactly Teflon. The weird thing is, USC got hit harder for something that seemed smaller than stuff that's happened since. NCAA and the west coast will never be confused for "tight."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recruiting and Boosties

What cheating did USC do? Just the usual booster shit, like every other major conference team. OSU hasn't been exactly Teflon. The weird thing is, USC got hit harder for something that seemed smaller than stuff that's happened since. NCAA and the west coast will never be confused for "tight."
    Yeah, the boosties get a little enthusiastic and, as Urban says, the rules aren't really clear. Plus the enforcement, as you point out, ain't exactly equal across the board.
    It's just jazz, baby. You know, the wrong notes played with confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always said my hell is watching soccer while listen to jazz (!). Not the blues kind... the "wrong notes" kind. I remember Tosh saying, "It's something you pretend to like, like jazz or Mad Men."

I love Mad Men... but it's still a funny line.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always said my hell is watching soccer while listen to jazz (!). Not the blues kind... the "wrong notes" kind. I remember Tosh saying, "It's something you pretend to like, like jazz or Mad Men."

I love Mad Men... but it's still a funny line.
    Good line. My line is another way of saying I like to give the unconventional a chance - which could include using that line in a bar at 6:30 on a Friday night if you don't want to go home alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Notre Dame and Ohio State homer, so anytime they suffer I am happy. It's been a long time since they were outmatched on D, so I don't feel bad for them. Seems the sanctions worked. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boardboy View Post
    Good line. My line is another way of saying I like to give the unconventional a chance - which could include using that line in a bar at 6:30 on a Friday night if you don't want to go home alone.
    If you wait longer and drink more, you become more open to giving unconventional women a chance, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasdogg View Post
    I am a Notre Dame and Ohio State homer, so anytime they suffer I am happy. It's been a long time since they were outmatched on D, so I don't feel bad for them. Seems the sanctions worked. LOL.
    I'm Trojans and Buckeyes, but not as affiliated as I am with the Browns. By miles, actually.

Post Thanks / Like

If you wait longer and drink more, you become more open to giving unconventional women a chance, too.
    Sounds like another option!

Post Thanks / Like

Colin Cowherd has a theory about QB's coming from big time campuses not making it in the NFL.

Look around and see who has had success, and what college they went to.

Around the NFL
    Romo - Eastern Illinois
    Ryan - Boston College
    Kapernick - Nevada
    Cutler - Vanderbilt
    Manning - Ole Miss

Look at the AFCN
    Dalton - TCU
    Big Ben - Miami Ohio
    Flacco - Delaware

These guys typically played with players that were not top end receivers, players that didn't get wide open, who offered small windows to throw through in college.

It's a theory I am on board with.

USC just can't produce a top notch QB in the NFL. (Or Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State) Sanchez has had some success because his defense carried that team to 2 AFC CG's, much like Dilfer in BAL. Other than him, what USC QB has won playoff games recently in the NFL?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this will surprise you... but I totally agree. Some really good reasons for it, too. I remember Walsh talking about really dominant teams who can overpower at the line of scrimmage and run all over teams, and how good that can make a QB look.

Texas is a great example. Walsh pointed out that they tend to have "two reads and run," and the second read is a TE standing wide open somewhere.

So beware the 'Bama QB. He could be great (and I really like McCarron)... but he'll never have it so easy again the rest of his life.

The difference in this case is that Barkley DID have to carry his team. They sucked at everything else so bad and weren't overpowering on either line (understatement). But Barkley doesn't have elite physical talent and that carries a certain Sanchez/Quinn stigma.

It's getting harder and harder to get away with an "average" arm. Game's too fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, all this makes sense.

Now, as to the coaching. I do remember Urban Meyer saying that he thought a lot of NFL teams would be better offer hiring a local high school coach instead of an NFL retard ... I mean, RETREAD.