Browns Release Donte Whitner! | Barking Hard

Browns Release Donte Whitner!

Sobleski pointed out that Campbell was better (by a decent margin) than Whitner last year, albeit with less exposure. Whitner really, really struggled and I figured him as a cut casualty.

I don't know the long-term plan, but clearly the team is gutting out any and all 30 and overs who aren't playing like stars, giving those spots to younger players and draft picks.

Last edited:
Seriously thinking the goal is to open as many positions as possible and tell all the kids to compete.

What I really hate about this fucking cut - Tramon Williams is fine but Hitner is gone? The fuck. He's the worst player in our secondary, by an extreme margin, and we're chasing out Gip/Hitner while Williams is sitting pretty. That hurts.

Honestly... is it possible for the Cleveland Media to go through a similar process? Would love to see Grossi and others go - "change the culture." Its amazing how much the local and national media foster the negativity in Cleveland. And this isn't just the Browns. Indians with a top 5 pitching staff and all you hear is how bad the team and ownership is. Cavs winning more games this year than last and all we hear is how dysfunctional the team is and how they need to trade/break up the big 3. Let's clean house with the media too

People just love to be negative and the media feeds off that. Remember, this was actually a great roster that was deep as hell and talent across the board, it was all Pettine's fault we didn't win 16 games.

Now all those players are getting cut and Pettine is probably smoking a cigar saying "I told em' so!" while the current coaches/front office are sitting with Jimmy like "You know this roster sucks and Farmer is literally retarded, right?"

I'd like to see Desmond Bryant and Tramon Williams gone by the end of the day. Bryant has never lived up to 1/8th of that 5 year, $34M contract and Tramon Williams is on a 3 year, $21 contract. Fuck them both. I've got half a mind to see Kruger gone too.

Screw it. I want anarchy. Cut everyone not named Joe who isn't on a rookie contract. We're coming, Watson, we're coming!

I think Moneyball guys (and Hue) look at film and say, "So Campbell played objectively better than the starter last year... why wasn't he starting?" And we know the answer: There's a guy with a jersey that says "Whitner" getting paid a lot of money.

It's gonna get radical. Young guys are gonna be allowed to make mistakes. No more 38-year-old bridge starters. No more 30-year-old free agents (until we need one or two things to win 13 games). Youth will be served. The number of rookies on this team year could be staggering, like 10 (including UDFAs).

Cooper's gonna play. Hughes is gonna play. Mingo and Orchard are gonna pin their ears back, no out-thinking on that front. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gilbert and Desir battling to start... or Desir moving to safety to compete with Poyer. We'll hear the obvious, that some dude named Pasztor starting playing and the running game took off. He played really well. Do you sit him back down because you don't really know where the hell he came from?

No. The Packers have been finding guys like him forever.

The Browns need to draft their franchise QB while they can. Reuter's mock is Wentz, Shepard, Carroo, double dipping at WR. That would probably tee up some quiet free agent signings for the secondary and a 4th rounder, too.

I just think the timing is weird

Agree, and I would have liked him, as a Clevelander, to be treated a little more respectfully. On the other hand, it's probably just taking Hue and the MoneyBall team to become as like-minded as possible.

So, our current starting safeties are:

#30 Campbell, Ibraheim SS 5-11 208 23 2 Northwestern
#20 Moore, Rahim FS 6-1 195 26 6 UCLA

hi-res-7cba220f9e720adb773cbea05891dab6_crop_north.jpg

461355014-rahim-moore-of-the-denver-broncos-reacts-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Money ball System folks, where anyone over 28 gets the boot and DeFucktard and Shashi stock the roster with cheap, ineffective, wet behind the ears 20 year olds with no veteran presense to help out. Stupidity at its finest, this isn't fucking baseball.

I see qct disliked KoK's #ultimatetruthbomb....the truth hurts a bunch.... right qct? So we have no safeties with any pro experience to speak of... this should be funny to watch. The squeelers and bungholes will throw for over 700 yards a game if they choose to.

The culverhouse plan is working great so far...jimmuh is getting richer already.

Funny how Whitner didn't think they were playing Moneyball until HE was cut. Sour grapes. Facts are that this team is trying to build what they call a critical mass of young players...and Whitner was not young, nor playing at a level to justify keeping him at his current contract.

Those claiming truth...hah, I love it. Truth is very often subjective. Especially when what you are calling truth is merely your opinion...in which case it is not even a fact much less the truth.

Whitner was horrible last year. He almost missed as many tackles as did Dansby.

Getting rid of both is a good thing.

Yeah. . . we're going to be green as hell next season, but it's going to take some time to recover from the Ray Farmer experience.

I'm actually more excited to see the Browns play this season than I was last season.

#buildafortress

I guess I'm more excited to see the present depth chart (i.e., NOT final) play this upcoming year through the "in poor taste" analogy of watching a car wreck. I'm as big a homer as anyone, but the sudden optimism about Campbell is pretty damn funny. I mean I like the kid a lot but to presume he's an upgrade over Whitner is a huge reach. Its also another reach to presume investing playing time in him will result in a positive return on said investment.

Bottom line is, we are even more talent starved now than we were prior to letting our current FA's leave. Lots of road left to travel before we see the final 53 for the 16/17 season, but its downright horrific at present.

Agreed Grey. Unlike the last two years however, the young players are going to get reps in training camp, all season long. Some will boom (hopefully) and quite a few will bust. At least we will know where they stand as opposed to our current situation.

I see qct disliked KoK's #ultimatetruthbomb....the truth hurts a bunch.... right qct? So we have no safeties with any pro experience to speak of... this should be funny to watch. The squeelers and bungholes will throw for over 700 yards a game if they choose to.

The culverhouse plan is working great so far...jimmuh is getting richer already.

I see my rebuttal post was deleted.

You and Kok have done nothing but whining, crying, complaining, bitching and moaning. Neither of you have even come close to dropping any truth.

Top Bottom